Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is a pretty awful case 08:17 - Feb 17 with 504 viewsGuthrum

People marooned in some sort of legal limbo through no fault of their own.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/17/crew-of-oil-tanker-beached-o
[Post edited 17 Feb 2021 8:18]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This is a pretty awful case on 08:22 - Feb 17 with 458 viewsSteve_M

Yes, the bottom end of the shipping market is fairly dreadful. Conditions that were outlawed in Europe in the nineteenth century deemed acceptable, unseaworthy ship and a form of servitude as we see here.

Anyone who has read Newcy's posts knows that it's a hard, albeit fairly well-paid, life working at the reputable end of the industry with long weeks away from home and short-notice changes to plans.

These poor people though, no one gives too much of a sh1t either although the media coverage will hopefully help but where no-one is held responsible then there is little pressure to solve problems like this or, indeed, the huge cargo of fertiliser that destroyed much of Beirut last year.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This is a pretty awful case on 08:29 - Feb 17 with 435 viewsElderGrizzly

This is a pretty awful case on 08:22 - Feb 17 by Steve_M

Yes, the bottom end of the shipping market is fairly dreadful. Conditions that were outlawed in Europe in the nineteenth century deemed acceptable, unseaworthy ship and a form of servitude as we see here.

Anyone who has read Newcy's posts knows that it's a hard, albeit fairly well-paid, life working at the reputable end of the industry with long weeks away from home and short-notice changes to plans.

These poor people though, no one gives too much of a sh1t either although the media coverage will hopefully help but where no-one is held responsible then there is little pressure to solve problems like this or, indeed, the huge cargo of fertiliser that destroyed much of Beirut last year.

I was reading somewhere the whole "Flag of Convenience" issue is at the heart of conditions too? Pick a certain country to register the ship and H&S and other standards are considerably lower?
This is a pretty awful case on 08:51 - Feb 17 with 394 viewsNewcyBlue

This is a pretty awful case on 08:29 - Feb 17 by ElderGrizzly

I was reading somewhere the whole "Flag of Convenience" issue is at the heart of conditions too? Pick a certain country to register the ship and H&S and other standards are considerably lower?

These days the Red Ensign is seen as a flag of convenience.

FOC is a common part of shipping.

We had a surveyor on board yesterday for annual surveys. He had some horror stories about some companies.

He was here all day, we had stores, provisions, a failed crew change because of paperwork related to Covid, cargo, bunkers....

I made my rest hours look legal in the system, because I really had no other choice. It’s part of life at sea.

I’ve sailed on 4 different flags, the standards aren’t really any different to the basic requirements. There may be different standards for some paperwork, but the stuff that matters is still as per the basic requirements of SOLAS, ISPS, MLC, MARPOL, etc.

Two of our ships recently have lost crew overboard. 1 in the Elbe River and one roughly where I am at the moment on passage to Hong Kong from Singapore.

Both were Ordinary Seamen, both were first trip, both were around 2.5 months into their first trip. Both of them were in their early twenties.

When it comes to the dangerous jobs on board I lead by example and do them. If something happens to me the payout will be higher to my family than if it were to happen to one of my crew.

Regarding the OP: Ships and their crews being abandoned is not uncommon. Normally after a lengthy legal process the ship is seized and sold. The crew get their portion and are repatriated. If they leave beforehand. They get nothing.

The Maritime Labour Convention is supposed to help with this, stopping unscrupulous crewing agents from being able to operate.

As with anything, if there are palms that can be greased, then stuff like this will slip through the net.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

This is a pretty awful case on 08:53 - Feb 17 with 379 viewsElderGrizzly

This is a pretty awful case on 08:51 - Feb 17 by NewcyBlue

We had a surveyor on board yesterday for annual surveys. He had some horror stories about some companies.

He was here all day, we had stores, provisions, a failed crew change because of paperwork related to Covid, cargo, bunkers....

I made my rest hours look legal in the system, because I really had no other choice. It’s part of life at sea.

I’ve sailed on 4 different flags, the standards aren’t really any different to the basic requirements. There may be different standards for some paperwork, but the stuff that matters is still as per the basic requirements of SOLAS, ISPS, MLC, MARPOL, etc.

Two of our ships recently have lost crew overboard. 1 in the Elbe River and one roughly where I am at the moment on passage to Hong Kong from Singapore.

Both were Ordinary Seamen, both were first trip, both were around 2.5 months into their first trip. Both of them were in their early twenties.

When it comes to the dangerous jobs on board I lead by example and do them. If something happens to me the payout will be higher to my family than if it were to happen to one of my crew.

Regarding the OP: Ships and their crews being abandoned is not uncommon. Normally after a lengthy legal process the ship is seized and sold. The crew get their portion and are repatriated. If they leave beforehand. They get nothing.

The Maritime Labour Convention is supposed to help with this, stopping unscrupulous crewing agents from being able to operate.

As with anything, if there are palms that can be greased, then stuff like this will slip through the net.

I was hoping you'd comment :)

My reading was clearly a biased article from a disgruntled ex-employee or something! I'm going to try and dig it out, as it was linked off a tweet about this incident
This is a pretty awful case on 08:58 - Feb 17 with 348 viewsGuthrum

This is a pretty awful case on 08:51 - Feb 17 by NewcyBlue

It's that bit about the crew being stuck, effectively held prisoner by their back pay, which I find most sad. They ought to be treated as creditors, still due the money, but be able to get on with their lives. not as something tantamount to deserters.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024