Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
And another thing 08:12 - Apr 21 with 786 viewsGlasgowBlue

Flynn’s Downes looked a class apart in the first 10 minutes. Commanding, assured and confident.

As soon as we conceded the first goal he went missing for the rest of the game.

I appreciate the gulf in class and experience, but he’s supposed to be our Steven Gerrard. A player who has the ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck and turn it around. A player who should put in a performance that carries the rest of the team with him. As Gerrard did in Istanbul.

He simply disappears when the going gets tough.

Convince me I’m wrong.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

And another thing on 08:21 - Apr 21 with 723 viewsDeano69

Sadly I felt the same. Thought he had a chance to display his leadership potential and drag this bunch of muppets to a win. I don’t blame him for the loss, that was a collective display of lack of interest.

I had previously posted that I would make him captain and build a completely new squad around him, has made me question that now. Probably hacked off that Ward got the armband, who knows.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

And another thing on 08:23 - Apr 21 with 714 viewsGlasgowBlue

And another thing on 08:21 - Apr 21 by Deano69

Sadly I felt the same. Thought he had a chance to display his leadership potential and drag this bunch of muppets to a win. I don’t blame him for the loss, that was a collective display of lack of interest.

I had previously posted that I would make him captain and build a completely new squad around him, has made me question that now. Probably hacked off that Ward got the armband, who knows.

I felt much the same about building a midfield around him. I’m now convinced that he needs experienced fighters and motivators around him next season.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

And another thing on 08:24 - Apr 21 with 712 viewsclive_baker

To me he cuts a really frustrated figure. Especially after we went behind, you can see his head drop. Just looks completely dejected to me. I would be frustrated if I were him, he’s too good for this sh1t.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

And another thing on 08:25 - Apr 21 with 697 viewsDeano69

And another thing on 08:23 - Apr 21 by GlasgowBlue

I felt much the same about building a midfield around him. I’m now convinced that he needs experienced fighters and motivators around him next season.

Regrettably that would still appear to be the case.

Turned over by Northampton, Rochdale & Bristol. What a time to be a town fan.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

And another thing on 08:46 - Apr 21 with 618 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

And another thing on 08:21 - Apr 21 by Deano69

Hes a very good player at this level, but he won't be our leader.

I don't think he has leadership qualities.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

And another thing on 08:52 - Apr 21 with 584 viewsGuthrum

The same is true for much of the squad. They know we can't score, so conceding a goal means almost inevitable defeat (barring the aid of an opposition howler or red card).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

And another thing on 08:53 - Apr 21 with 581 viewsSteve_M

He didn't go missing against Wimbledon last week though did he.

Comparing him to Gerrard and then damning him is a bit much, and expecting a 21 year old on the back of a disrupted season to carry this team every week is a bit much. Downes has had a bad season but in terms of areas of concern he is a long way down the list.

It was as much a collective thing last night again IMO, sitting far too deep knowing we were vulnerable to a ball over the top and very few players prepared to try taking an opponent on - Edwards a notable exception last night.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

And another thing on 09:22 - Apr 21 with 521 viewsGarv

He's good but he's not that good.

No one in the squad is good enough that they'll turn games round on their own. It needs to be a collective effort.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

And another thing on 09:43 - Apr 21 with 490 viewsHarry_Palmer

And another thing on 08:24 - Apr 21 by clive_baker

To me he cuts a really frustrated figure. Especially after we went behind, you can see his head drop. Just looks completely dejected to me. I would be frustrated if I were him, he’s too good for this sh1t.

He's not though, Downes has achieved nothing in the game yet and if he believes he is too good for league one then that is a big problem, he needs to actually prove it on the pitch.

I know he has missed large chunks of the season but when he has played what has he really done? Not a single goal or assist in League One, by contrast Ryan Watson has scored 9 playing for a Northampton team that have spent all season in the bottom four.

I know people will say that his main role is not that of a scorer or creator but you would still expect some sort of return at this level.

Look at Watson's goal last night and how Downes was 2nd best to that loose ball, not good enough for somebody that has ambitions to play premier league.

[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 9:48]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024