Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame 12:05 - May 5 with 614 viewsdominiciawful

If de Vos and Hreiðarsson are in, I think he should be too.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 12:11 - May 5 with 598 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Agree, but he should have been inducted while still alive. Many of the 60s and 70s players have been overlooked. Colin Viljoen and Trevor Whymark should both be in.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 12:17 - May 5 with 584 viewsmonty_radio

Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 12:11 - May 5 by The_Last_Baron

Agree, but he should have been inducted while still alive. Many of the 60s and 70s players have been overlooked. Colin Viljoen and Trevor Whymark should both be in.

Can't believe that neither of those are not in there!

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 12:18 - May 5 with 580 viewsChurchman

Trevor Whymark is in the list and rightly so. Colin Viljoen and Frank Brogan definitely. I would also put in the 90s David Johnson and Marcus Stewart.
Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 12:21 - May 5 with 571 viewsEl_Fenix

I completely agree. Frank Brogan had a pivotal role in the Bill McGarry team that laid the foundation for the golden era of Sir Bobby Robson.

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 12:32 - May 5 with 559 viewsEl_Fenix

Colin Viljoen was an incredibly smooth and skilful player who played a key role in the transition from the McGarry era to the Sir Bobby Robson era.

Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 12:34 - May 5 with 554 viewsTieDyedIn95

As good as those two were they shouldn't be in there really should they? They weren't with us very long either in real terms. I think serious winners, legends and absolute servants should be in there. I think if anyone from that era should be inducted it should be the likes of Naylor and Wilnis who actually did spend years with us and got us promoted.

Those are two very weird inclusions. As I said, they were good for us, but Hall of Fame material? What is the criteria? I don't think either of them won a medal with us let alone play over 200 games.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 12:50 - May 5 with 528 viewsdominiciawful

Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 12:34 - May 5 by TieDyedIn95

As good as those two were they shouldn't be in there really should they? They weren't with us very long either in real terms. I think serious winners, legends and absolute servants should be in there. I think if anyone from that era should be inducted it should be the likes of Naylor and Wilnis who actually did spend years with us and got us promoted.

Those are two very weird inclusions. As I said, they were good for us, but Hall of Fame material? What is the criteria? I don't think either of them won a medal with us let alone play over 200 games.

Yes, I really don't understand their inclusion to be honest. Hreiðarsson but no Stewart? Seems odd.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 13:09 - May 5 with 498 viewsmonty_radio

Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 12:34 - May 5 by TieDyedIn95

Think you need to check your facts on Viljoen - 13 years, 305 apps. Hailed by Robson as "Ace". Took part in many a conquering of Europe's top sides and took us into the top division for our greatest era.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Login to get fewer ads

Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 13:19 - May 5 with 483 viewscarlisleaway

Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 13:09 - May 5 by monty_radio

Think you need to check your facts on Viljoen - 13 years, 305 apps. Hailed by Robson as "Ace". Took part in many a conquering of Europe's top sides and took us into the top division for our greatest era.

Think those of us who watched Ipswich in the early 70s, would say that Jimmy Robertson and Frank Brogan were attacking wingers the like of which we would kill to see now.
Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 13:29 - May 5 with 460 viewsEl_Fenix

Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 13:09 - May 5 by monty_radio

I think that the OP was referring to de Vos and Hreiðarsson, not Viljoen.

Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 13:33 - May 5 with 451 viewsChurchman

Viljoen should definitely be in it.

Two surprising omissions are Scott Duncan, without whom it would probably have taken many more years for ITFC to join the Football League. You had to be elected in those days and his influence in the game was very important. He was manager then secretary for many years too.

The other is Bill McGarry. He inherited a wreck of a team and got it promoted as Champions in 68. If Lyall is there (rightly), he should be too.
[Post edited 5 May 2021 13:36]
Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 13:46 - May 5 with 432 viewsoldburian

Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 13:33 - May 5 by Churchman

Two surprising omissions are Scott Duncan, without whom it would probably have taken many more years for ITFC to join the Football League. You had to be elected in those days and his influence in the game was very important. He was manager then secretary for many years too.

The other is Bill McGarry. He inherited a wreck of a team and got it promoted as Champions in 68. If Lyall is there (rightly), he should be too.

Totally agree with those three, contributed in three very different ways. Viljoen was apparently not the most popular playing member but he turned many a match. McGarry was a hard nut but needed at that particular time, John Cobbold knew nothing about football but his choices of the non-playing staff was almost impeccable, Jackie Milburn apart. Scott Duncan we nicked from Manchester United and he worked hard for our election to the League but the crunch there was that the Cobbolds were at school with the Hill-Woods and Arsenal were a great influence in those days.
Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 13:58 - May 5 with 416 viewsChurchman

Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 13:46 - May 5 by oldburian

Totally agree with those three, contributed in three very different ways. Viljoen was apparently not the most popular playing member but he turned many a match. McGarry was a hard nut but needed at that particular time, John Cobbold knew nothing about football but his choices of the non-playing staff was almost impeccable, Jackie Milburn apart. Scott Duncan we nicked from Manchester United and he worked hard for our election to the League but the crunch there was that the Cobbolds were at school with the Hill-Woods and Arsenal were a great influence in those days.

From reading the Henderson book on the Cobbolds and plenty of other stuff, it’s clear that whatever they didn’t know about football, they (particularly John), understood people. John and Patrick were men of great integrity really and looked for that in the people they were employed. It generated great loyalty in those that worked for them. By and large, their recruitment was brilliant. It must have been the happiest football club in the country and for periods one of the most successful.

Milburn was a great footballer and man in many ways and I can see why they employed him. It’s just that he wasn’t cut out for football management and knew it.

Back to Scott Duncan he was manager for 18 years ((ok 5 were lost to WW2) and secretary for a further three. There was the election to the League and a promotion. He more than deserves to be in.
Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 14:32 - May 5 with 389 viewsRadlett_blue

Frank Brogan for our Hall of Fame on 13:33 - May 5 by Churchman

Viljoen is the outstanding omission. Also Tommy Parker, although he was well before my time.
Marcus Stewart only played 75 games, so there are many far more worthy nominees.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024