Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World music 22:07 - Jun 6 with 957 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Whenever I've been in a cab anywhere in the world, and the cabbie has the local radio on, it ALWAYS sounds dated. Like Chris de Burgh, or 2Unlimited, but in the local dialect. Really cliched.

Am I the only one who's noticed this?

We had Venezuelan dinner tonight, so we put on some Venezuelan music on Spotify to get in the mood. It sounded like they'd just discovered the 70's and copied it note for note.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

World music on 22:11 - Jun 6 with 930 viewsMetal_Hacker

Was in Suva , Fiji about 10 years ago and all you heard in the local cabs , restaurants, hotels etc was UB40 which was not only annoying but brain numbing

Poll: If it were one or the other

World music on 22:12 - Jun 6 with 912 viewsStokieBlue

World music on 22:11 - Jun 6 by Metal_Hacker

Was in Suva , Fiji about 10 years ago and all you heard in the local cabs , restaurants, hotels etc was UB40 which was not only annoying but brain numbing

This seems to be invariably the case.

Wherever you are in the world, when you're in a cab you hear 80's UK music.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

World music on 22:14 - Jun 6 with 899 viewseireblue

How much does a Venezuelan sausage and yam mash set you back these days.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 22:14]
World music on 22:18 - Jun 6 with 878 viewsSteve_M

When I got to Buenos Aires the other year the cab from the airport was playing The Cure. It wasn’t decent but it was good.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

World music on 22:20 - Jun 6 with 871 viewsvapour_trail

I’ve always been struck that wherever I go in the world I hear Bob Marley and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

World music on 22:35 - Jun 6 with 841 viewsHARRY10

World music on 22:20 - Jun 6 by vapour_trail

I’ve always been struck that wherever I go in the world I hear Bob Marley and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

I thought he was 'backed' by the Wailers
World music on 22:41 - Jun 6 with 834 viewsbluelagos

Then you'll enjoy this. A Danfo is a public bus/taxi - pretty much all of them are T3 VW vans.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

World music on 23:16 - Jun 6 with 808 viewsBlueBadger

As with all things musical, dig a little and you shall reap gold.
Get a load of this lad's guitar chops.

Also, as a personal thing, I HATE the term 'World Music'. It's a lazy, catch-all term for 'anything that might sound a bit foreign.

Mdou Moctar here, for example, is basically African Desert blues, via Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 23:22]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

World music on 23:57 - Jun 6 with 772 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

World music on 23:16 - Jun 6 by BlueBadger

Also, as a personal thing, I HATE the term 'World Music'. It's a lazy, catch-all term for 'anything that might sound a bit foreign.

Mdou Moctar here, for example, is basically African Desert blues, via Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen.

Yeah I didn't actually mean 'world music' as in the term, which I agree is lazy. The title should be "When you hear music around the world..." but I was, ironically, too lazy to type all that. And now I've ended up typing more. Even this bit. And this bit.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

[Redacted] on 06:15 - Jun 7 with 687 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
World music on 06:49 - Jun 7 with 626 viewsPendejo

Bogota 2001 - it was a cover of "Light My Fire" by UB40 that was ubiquitous. At the time I didn't listen to the dj and didn't have a clue it was UB40.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

World music on 09:14 - Jun 7 with 567 viewsWeWereZombies

World music on 23:16 - Jun 6 by BlueBadger

I know what you mean about the term 'World Music' but remember that before the term was used 95% (or thereabouts) of the best music being made was not getting into the shops. Some of the people responsible for popularising the term (and the much missed DJ the late Charlie Gillett was one of them) were not keen on it either, partly because it threw together some musical forms that didn't quite complement each other - you cannot easily go from jumping about to loopy hip hop from Daara J to sitting quietly reflecting on the mournful fado of Mariza for example. But it seemed the only way of breaking into the monoculture of American and British MOR.

Going back to the OP, it might just be that obvious tourists get the cheesy music treatment in taxis because it is what the taxi river things they like and they save the good stuff for locals.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

World music on 09:23 - Jun 7 with 557 viewsclive_baker

And they always sounds better than it ever has done in this country, because you're on holiday. There's always some quite fast & aggressive sounding conversation between the hosts, typically a really deep voiced bloke, before cutting to Simply Red - Holding back the Years which sounds epic in sunny climes, sat in the back of a Mercedes E class.

Although I vividly remember a cab ride in Illinois and first hearing Cool Kids by Echosmith, and thinking it was going to be huge. It wasn't.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

World music on 09:49 - Jun 7 with 539 viewsTIB

Took a cab in Warsaw a few years back and the driver had this on full blast, along with some interior neon lighting. Quite the journey.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024