Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Funny isn't it, the psyche of a football supporter... 11:56 - Jul 23 with 1349 viewsclive_baker

Seen suggestions of how improved our squad is vs. last summer, and on balance I would agree, especially in key areas. I'm not sure we're anything close to the finished article at this stage though, given we're so light in numbers and proven quality in certain areas. Still a fair bit of work still to do I would suggest.

It's funny isn't it, last summer we were relishing the prospect of a squad with huge depth, I remember some putting up their preferred lineups on here and Dozzell only making the 3rd side. Could we see a reinvigorated Downes, and we all know how good a player he is. A newly fit again Bishop, lots of hope for Dobra and El Miz, Dozzell pulling the strings, the prospect of Huws finding anything close to his old form, Nolan, Skuse's experience. Hopes that Norwood would find some level of fitness after a stop start first season, which had shown promise and a decent return all things considered, coming in having banged them in at Tranmere. Jackson's pace. Sears. A 'surely too good for league 1' Alan Judge. Chambers, Ward dropping down from the Championship, Woolfenden, Vincent-Young.

The hope and expectation was only heightened with Bishop's cringy 'yeet' opener against Wigan. HMS P1ss the League and #announce100points equally cringing their way through the Twitter TL. Fingers in the ears from our captain to block out the boo boys, as if a promising opening month in L1 had gone anyway to proving anything after years of decline.

There were lots of reasons to believe, but ultimately we were let down through a palpable vacuum in leadership both on and off the pitch. A gaffer who looked disengaged and uninterested from the word go, mismanaging us spectacularly through the season. We looked bereft of energy and ideas relative to those around us, and utterly toothless and rudderless for the most part. Some of those performances will live long in my memory for all the wrong reasons, sat in front of iFollow just wondering where we were heading under Evans and Lambert. Lee O'Neill rolled out in front of the camera to spill out more platitudes and buzz words. It was so f**king bleak, and seemed to so appropriately mirror what was going on in the world around us both politically and socially with the uncertainty, mismanagement, and general boredom and misery.

Times are hopefully a-changing now, at the club at least. Perhaps Gamechanger can be our gamechanger. Our vaccine. After all, hope is being able to see that there is light, despite all of the darkness.

A new owner, largely new squad, new manager and seemingly a fresh culture and expectation has buoyed the spirits of supporters, but the cynic in me can't get too excited yet. It's funny how we work as supporters isn't it, had Hladky and Penney signed for Pompey I don't suppose we would be losing too much sleep, but once they're in the door here we expect it all of them. If you're really cynical as we sit here today we still have 3/4 of a back 4 that Cook inherited, and that assumes KVY can get fit. We don't have much out wide, and we're putting a lot of faith in Harper who is still young. I think we're a few short as it stands, but encouragingly I think those in charge know it too.

Still, win, lose or draw it's so good to have the prospect of going to watch live football at Portman Road. Have a couple of beers and catch up with friends & family. It's never about the destination and always about the journey for me, so I just hope we can play some exciting football this season and take the game to our opponents, we've been too submissive for far too long.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Funny isn't it, the psyche of a football supporter... on 12:09 - Jul 23 with 1242 viewsKeno

for me there are two reasons to be hopeful about the coming season which, in no particular order are

1, NO Paul Lambert. its was so obvious are the previous season and half he wasn't going to take us anywhere other than league 2 and yet we have still here

2, NO Marcus Evans, as a club we were dying the death of a thousand cuts and all the time he was here that decline was only going to continue

As Joe has said on numerous occasional somethings had to change and those changes have been happening

I am hopeful 21/22 season and beyond but in the words of one of the wisest posters to ever post (Lucan) 'Its the hope that kills you"

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Funny isn't it, the psyche of a football supporter... on 12:10 - Jul 23 with 1229 viewsjayessess

Not sure that's quite what most people were thinking Last Summer?
I remember mid-table being a pretty common prediction.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Funny isn't it, the psyche of a football supporter... on 12:12 - Jul 23 with 1213 viewsBlueNomad

Sums it up. I just want to enjoy my football again, not watch in desperate hope.
Funny isn't it, the psyche of a football supporter... on 12:15 - Jul 23 with 1194 viewsBlueBadger

I don't think anyone was predicting HMS Pisshtheleague last season. The season before, yes, but not last season.

I still maintain that the relegation squad WAS good enough to get promoted - this is a side that went on two long unbeaten runs at the start of two seasons.

The trouble was, the manager(and ultimately, by extension, the players) thought that putting an XI was all we needed to do. All that tedious organising, coaching and motivation would just do itself.

By the time he realised that he *did* actually need to do the job he'd been undeservedly been given a five contract in, it was too late. The complacency and fragility he'd allowed to fester was too deep-rooted.

It's something else not to forgive Lambert for, he's probably shafted the careers of several players, through his own incompetence and laziness.

Whether it would have good enough to stay up though....
[Post edited 23 Jul 2021 12:35]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Funny isn't it, the psyche of a football supporter... on 12:18 - Jul 23 with 1182 viewsIllinoisblue

Given all the hoopla since the takeover it’s easy (as well as preferable) to forget just how fooking awful so many performances were last season. Rotten, dismal, plodding, joyless, no-threat football. I think it was either Crewe or Shrewsbury at home and we won 2-1 with a late Lankester goal. I just sat and shrugged instead of celebrating. A sobering moment. If there’s any justice, Lambert will never work in football again.

To the future and yes, still work to be done with the squad. But we have hope.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Funny isn't it, the psyche of a football supporter... on 12:22 - Jul 23 with 1122 viewsclive_baker

Funny isn't it, the psyche of a football supporter... on 12:15 - Jul 23 by BlueBadger

I don't think anyone was predicting HMS Pisshtheleague last season. The season before, yes, but not last season.

I still maintain that the relegation squad WAS good enough to get promoted - this is a side that went on two long unbeaten runs at the start of two seasons.

The trouble was, the manager(and ultimately, by extension, the players) thought that putting an XI was all we needed to do. All that tedious organising, coaching and motivation would just do itself.

By the time he realised that he *did* actually need to do the job he'd been undeservedly been given a five contract in, it was too late. The complacency and fragility he'd allowed to fester was too deep-rooted.

It's something else not to forgive Lambert for, he's probably shafted the careers of several players, through his own incompetence and laziness.

Whether it would have good enough to stay up though....
[Post edited 23 Jul 2021 12:35]

I can't remember the poster, but there was a survey on here before the season started and it was something like 80%+ thought we would get top 6 with a sizeable % saying top 2. After the first month I think expectations increased beyond that even, after 3 consecutive 2-0 wins in the league and sitting top.

FWIW like you I didn't and still don't disagree with it. On paper we had a good squad, I still believe that, which we got a little unlucky with in terms of injuries, although there's a huge element of not perhaps having the infrastructure to give those players the best chance of being fit. I think ultimately we were completely mismanaged and there was so much wrong at the club.

As you and Keno say, Lambert has a lot to answer for IMO.

Funny isn't it, the psyche of a football supporter... on 13:02 - Jul 23 with 999 viewsGuthrum

Firstly, good post.

Everyone would love the squad to be fully assembled and ready in time for preseason. But that isn't - and never has been - how things actually work. There is so much of the window left to go, stretching weeks beyond the first match. Prem teams haven't named their squads yet, freeing up fringe/young players who can go out on loan. Activity is always heavily weighted towards the end, particularly the last few days, of the window. There is not yet any incentive for players/agents/selling clubs to get stuff done in a hurry (unless the last of those want to raise funds).

Thus I don't think it's even remotely a matter for concern that there are still gaps in the team, or a perceived lack of cover in some areas, at this stage. There is a lot still to happen (unless GC20 has already run out of money). The process will continue right up to the end of August.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Funny isn't it, the psyche of a football supporter... on 13:13 - Jul 23 with 939 viewsIllinoisblue

Funny isn't it, the psyche of a football supporter... on 13:02 - Jul 23 by Guthrum

Firstly, good post.

Everyone would love the squad to be fully assembled and ready in time for preseason. But that isn't - and never has been - how things actually work. There is so much of the window left to go, stretching weeks beyond the first match. Prem teams haven't named their squads yet, freeing up fringe/young players who can go out on loan. Activity is always heavily weighted towards the end, particularly the last few days, of the window. There is not yet any incentive for players/agents/selling clubs to get stuff done in a hurry (unless the last of those want to raise funds).

Thus I don't think it's even remotely a matter for concern that there are still gaps in the team, or a perceived lack of cover in some areas, at this stage. There is a lot still to happen (unless GC20 has already run out of money). The process will continue right up to the end of August.

A valid point; MacAnthony at Peterborough just tweeted essentially the same and that August will be a crazy few weeks

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Funny isn't it, the psyche of a football supporter... on 14:10 - Jul 23 with 774 viewsChurchman

Funny isn't it, the psyche of a football supporter... on 13:02 - Jul 23 by Guthrum

Firstly, good post.

I agree, the OP was good. I think the key is your last paragraph. Do the owners really have the money? Given the staff the club have employed and Ashton’s interview, the indicators are yes, but ITFC has been home to so much disappointment over recent decades, I’ll believe it when I see it.

I agree with you that there is a lot of the window to go and it was unrealistic to expect the team to be assembled by pre season. Patience required. There is bound to be further changes in the January window too.

I am cautious about this season, but not as much as the last two where my predictions were 15th. I was being pessimistic, not least because there appeared to be no goals in the team and more important, it all felt wrong somehow.

Things around the club feel improved already in terms of structure, professionalism etc, but it’s going to take time to show in the team and in turn results. Blackpool did it, so hopefully we can too.
Funny isn't it, the psyche of a football supporter... on 15:36 - Jul 23 with 654 viewsclive_baker

Funny isn't it, the psyche of a football supporter... on 14:10 - Jul 23 by Churchman

I agree, the OP was good. I think the key is your last paragraph. Do the owners really have the money? Given the staff the club have employed and Ashton’s interview, the indicators are yes, but ITFC has been home to so much disappointment over recent decades, I’ll believe it when I see it.

I agree with you that there is a lot of the window to go and it was unrealistic to expect the team to be assembled by pre season. Patience required. There is bound to be further changes in the January window too.

I am cautious about this season, but not as much as the last two where my predictions were 15th. I was being pessimistic, not least because there appeared to be no goals in the team and more important, it all felt wrong somehow.

Things around the club feel improved already in terms of structure, professionalism etc, but it’s going to take time to show in the team and in turn results. Blackpool did it, so hopefully we can too.

I agree with all of that Churchman. I'm definitely remaining patient and cautiously optimistic, I just think we've got a long way to go.

The most encouraging for me is actually the changes we've made off the pitch, by way of support staff and an experience leadership team. It felt so overlooked previously, and constant corner cutting took its told. Every penny we had seemed to be invested in players, without giving them the tools to do their job properly. I remember chatting about it on here to someone when we signed all those loan players, it was all so short sighted. The few hundred grand we were paying in wages for a Harrop or Thomas would've been far better invested in the medical team for example. It was like a F1 team signing Lewis Hamilton and giving him a 10 year old car. No accountability. no leadership, unqualified people being asked to do unfamiliar roles. Real lack of fitness and conditioning. It was such a horrible set up, and the changes we're making actually gives me more encouragement than any of the signing specifically.

Funny isn't it, the psyche of a football supporter... on 16:23 - Jul 23 with 586 viewsChurchman

Funny isn't it, the psyche of a football supporter... on 15:36 - Jul 23 by clive_baker

I agree with all of that Churchman. I'm definitely remaining patient and cautiously optimistic, I just think we've got a long way to go.

The most encouraging for me is actually the changes we've made off the pitch, by way of support staff and an experience leadership team. It felt so overlooked previously, and constant corner cutting took its told. Every penny we had seemed to be invested in players, without giving them the tools to do their job properly. I remember chatting about it on here to someone when we signed all those loan players, it was all so short sighted. The few hundred grand we were paying in wages for a Harrop or Thomas would've been far better invested in the medical team for example. It was like a F1 team signing Lewis Hamilton and giving him a 10 year old car. No accountability. no leadership, unqualified people being asked to do unfamiliar roles. Real lack of fitness and conditioning. It was such a horrible set up, and the changes we're making actually gives me more encouragement than any of the signing specifically.

Spot on. The more in the rear view mirror the Evans era is, the more awful it looks. Every aspect of it and a walk around the ground last weekend (pre mural!) really brought it home to me how far down we’ve gone.

The changes to the club itself feel more important, to me than the team at this moment in time, though ultimately it’s the team that’s at the pointy end and it will need to deliver.

There is so much do and it’s as excited as I’ve felt about the club since 2000/01.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024