Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Assistant manager 12:26 - Oct 4 with 3331 viewsStu_boy

I think everyone can see we need an assistant to help cook, how about promoting dyer from u23 manager to assistant and employ butcher as u23 manager?
Assistant manager on 12:35 - Oct 4 with 2426 viewsSteve_M

You appear to have spelt "New" wrongly.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Assistant manager on 12:51 - Oct 4 with 2396 viewsJ2BLUE

The more I think about this, the more it feels like Cook is trying to protect his future career. Almost like if he backs down now and goes to get an assistant he's devaluing himself.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Assistant manager on 12:54 - Oct 4 with 2388 viewsPhilTWTD

Assistant manager on 12:51 - Oct 4 by J2BLUE

The more I think about this, the more it feels like Cook is trying to protect his future career. Almost like if he backs down now and goes to get an assistant he's devaluing himself.

I don't think there's any 'backing down' about it. He appointed his staff in the summer in the roles they have been assigned and other than when I asked him about potentially missing having an assistant manager at a press conference the other week probably hasn't thought a whole lot about it.
Assistant manager on 12:55 - Oct 4 with 2372 viewsStu_boy

Surely, it's a sign of strength to acknowledge when your wrong and inititive to act upon it and correct it? It's a sign of ignorance and arragance to continue making the same mistakes repeatedly in the hope it eventually works
Assistant manager on 13:01 - Oct 4 with 2342 viewsJ2BLUE

Assistant manager on 12:54 - Oct 4 by PhilTWTD

I don't think there's any 'backing down' about it. He appointed his staff in the summer in the roles they have been assigned and other than when I asked him about potentially missing having an assistant manager at a press conference the other week probably hasn't thought a whole lot about it.

It's a fairly big piece of the puzzle though? Was there anything in the McGreal rumours? I know he didn't want it, but did we want him?

Truly impaired.

Assistant manager on 13:10 - Oct 4 with 2318 viewsPhilTWTD

Assistant manager on 13:01 - Oct 4 by J2BLUE

It's a fairly big piece of the puzzle though? Was there anything in the McGreal rumours? I know he didn't want it, but did we want him?

I was told very early on that he wasn't in the running for a role. JMc wanted to be a manager, PC didn't want to appoint someone who might be off in a couple of months. I did hear talk that Jeffers might be named assistant manager rather than first-team coach when his name was first mentioned.
Assistant manager on 13:11 - Oct 4 with 2301 viewsJ2BLUE

Assistant manager on 13:10 - Oct 4 by PhilTWTD

I was told very early on that he wasn't in the running for a role. JMc wanted to be a manager, PC didn't want to appoint someone who might be off in a couple of months. I did hear talk that Jeffers might be named assistant manager rather than first-team coach when his name was first mentioned.

Fair enough. Cheers Phil. Just so frustrating.

Truly impaired.

Assistant manager on 13:13 - Oct 4 with 2277 viewschrismakin

I said this a while back

Appt an assistant now. Any upturn will be down to the assistant.

Yes PC could take credit for bringing one in... but the end of the day the assistant would be the one people would say made a difference.

I Still think PC and Leam had a fall out and PC is trying to prove a point.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Login to get fewer ads

Assistant manager on 13:14 - Oct 4 with 2281 viewsfabian_illness

We could really do with a Sous Chef to work alongside our main Cook.
Assistant manager on 13:30 - Oct 4 with 2218 viewshype313

Assistant manager on 13:13 - Oct 4 by chrismakin

I said this a while back

Yes PC could take credit for bringing one in... but the end of the day the assistant would be the one people would say made a difference.

Don't think that's the case, think Richardson just got offered the chance of a lifetime and felt he couldn't turn it down.

Most assistants have aspirations of becoming a number one.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Assistant manager on 13:34 - Oct 4 with 2189 viewsIllinoisblue

Protecting his career by failing? Interesting strategy.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Assistant manager on 13:34 - Oct 4 with 2191 viewsIwasthere

When he gets sacked from ITFC his reputation will be devalued. As we have no backroom staff Cook has projected himself from instant dismissal as no obvious caretaker. Ashton will have to have a replacement in place once the announcement is made. The sooner the better.
Assistant manager on 14:04 - Oct 4 with 2099 viewsbackwaywhen

Assistant manager on 13:13 - Oct 4 by chrismakin

I said this a while back

And boy does he miss his input …. Unlike Richardson he doesn’t seem to be missing our Paul , read into that what you like , but personally I don’t think he is a very good without him .
Time will tell I suppose, and up to now he has not found a solution to our issues as yet !
Assistant manager on 14:36 - Oct 4 with 2032 viewstractorshark

Obviously, we cannot see everything that goes on at training or behind closed doors but from the outside looking in it does seem that Jeffers, Roberts and Co are just jobs for the boys appointments.
Clearly, every new manager will bring in mates and people who are on a similar wavelength to your thinking. But they have to back it up with footballing nous.
Just because you've played the game at a high level, it doesn't make you a great coach.
In fact, probably the majority of ex-players aren't good coaches.
Assistant manager on 14:41 - Oct 4 with 2018 viewsElderGrizzly

Assistant manager on 13:10 - Oct 4 by PhilTWTD

Giving Jeffers an AM title doesn't solve the problem we have:

Our first team coaches are:
- someone who decided he wanted to be a kitman rather than a coach
- someone in their first season as a coach
- someone in the first season as a coach outside the U23 (even if this was Everton)

Look around the division at the 'better' clubs? Can they say they have such an inexperienced coaching set-up?

Cook did say at the fans forum he didn't think he needed an assistant, but it looks like he is very light in experience below him
Assistant manager on 17:00 - Oct 4 with 1881 viewsJ2BLUE

Assistant manager on 13:34 - Oct 4 by Illinoisblue

Protecting his career by failing? Interesting strategy.

Obviously in my example, if it hadn't have been debunked already, Cook would believe he could turn it around and get the credit rather than have an assistant come in and then things turn around so in future all employers want him to come in with a certain assistant etc.

I trust Phil though, the theory was incorrect.

Truly impaired.

Assistant manager on 17:04 - Oct 4 with 1867 viewsWickets

Assistant manager on 14:41 - Oct 4 by ElderGrizzly

- someone in the first season as a coach outside the U23 (even if this was Everton)

Look around the division at the 'better' clubs? Can they say they have such an inexperienced coaching set-up?

Cook did say at the fans forum he didn't think he needed an assistant, but it looks like he is very light in experience below him

Yes all a bit of a worry though it would not matter one jot if we were living up to expectations but ?
Assistant manager on 17:06 - Oct 4 with 1857 viewsPhilTWTD

Assistant manager on 14:41 - Oct 4 by ElderGrizzly

That seems to be the way he always operates, young coaches below him learning their trade.
Assistant manager on 17:14 - Oct 4 with 1814 viewsWickets

Assistant manager on 17:06 - Oct 4 by PhilTWTD

That seems to be the way he always operates, young coaches below him learning their trade.

Suppose that is great if its going well !
Assistant manager on 17:16 - Oct 4 with 1803 viewsWallingford_Boy

I think we are ok for assistants in the first team thanks!

More coaches than players on our bench, not shortage of assistance for Cook!!

RIP Sir Bobby

Assistant manager on 17:20 - Oct 4 with 1798 viewsWickets

Assistant manager on 17:16 - Oct 4 by Wallingford_Boy

I think we are ok for assistants in the first team thanks!

More coaches than players on our bench, not shortage of assistance for Cook!!

Actually 3 first team coaches is not a lot and someone posted a couple of weeks ago that we are the only team without an assistant manager !
Assistant manager on 17:21 - Oct 4 with 1795 viewsPinewoodblue

Assistant manager on 17:06 - Oct 4 by PhilTWTD

Maybe he doesn’t like to be challenged?

Seems to me there have been too many occasions recently where it needed someone to challenge his approach, make suggestions etc.

Someone prepared to suggest a tactical change.

Looking forward to seeing how he approaches tomorrow’s game. Hope he doesn’t use it as an opportunity to give fringe players minutes.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Assistant manager on 17:21 - Oct 4 with 1794 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Assistant manager on 14:04 - Oct 4 by backwaywhen

And boy does he miss his input …. Unlike Richardson he doesn’t seem to be missing our Paul , read into that what you like , but personally I don’t think he is a very good without him .
Time will tell I suppose, and up to now he has not found a solution to our issues as yet !

The only people who will know if he's better, worse or the same without Leam are the players who played under both and who now play under Cook alone.

Not that I'd expect them to say so in public until perhaps after Cook is sacked.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Assistant manager on 17:21 - Oct 4 with 1793 viewsPhilTWTD

Assistant manager on 17:14 - Oct 4 by Wickets

Suppose that is great if its going well !

I doubt anyone would be making comments about assistant managers if it was going well! I'm not sure the dynamic will be much different from how it was at different clubs, Cook seems to be a very hands-on manager training-wise, unlike someone like Joe Royle, for example, who had Willie Donachie run things on the training field.
Assistant manager on 17:22 - Oct 4 with 1780 viewsWallingford_Boy

Assistant manager on 17:20 - Oct 4 by Wickets

Actually 3 first team coaches is not a lot and someone posted a couple of weeks ago that we are the only team without an assistant manager !

Its just a title, why is everyone obsessed with it!

He has 3 or 4 coaches he can talk through tactics with/bounce ideas off of, we really don't need any more on there with him!

RIP Sir Bobby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024