Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we a soft touch? 14:02 - Nov 23 with 1743 viewsBonneNIL

In the break room discussing football as normal. We get to my turn to discuss Ipswich and I explain the results, mates look up the league table on the phone and are surprised to see us doing so poorly. It's a mixture of supporters here, top teams, then some smaller clubs. The Watford and West Ham lads asked me a question as to why we were so patient as supporters, I said we like to be good supporters of the club and get behind the team and vision. They basically pointed the minute they threatened to be in the Championship longer than 5 minutes they kicked off and yet Ipswich, a side once of similar size to theirs, fans aren't making any noise about 3 seasons in the middle of League One.

Now that's the debate we had in broad strokes, but the question was, are we too much of a soft touch as supporters and far too forgiving? Is that at the centre of the decline as much as anything else?

Just a thought from outside the camp I guess.

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Are we a soft touch? on 14:07 - Nov 23 with 1538 viewsitfcjoe

We are a very supportive fan base - that can be good in times when the club is in a blip opposed to a slump, but bad when we are in a slump opposed to a blip.

Standards are very low though at times, and goalposts continously shift to look at the situation as is.

We've won 3 games at home this season - against the sides in 21st, 22nd and 23rd but yet the home fanbase are happy with that on the whole

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Are we a soft touch? on 14:08 - Nov 23 with 1515 viewsGarv

Maybe. We could try running onto the pitch and stealing corner flags I suppose.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Are we a soft touch? on 14:13 - Nov 23 with 1492 viewsVaughan8

Are we a soft touch? on 14:07 - Nov 23 by itfcjoe

We are a very supportive fan base - that can be good in times when the club is in a blip opposed to a slump, but bad when we are in a slump opposed to a blip.

Standards are very low though at times, and goalposts continously shift to look at the situation as is.

We've won 3 games at home this season - against the sides in 21st, 22nd and 23rd but yet the home fanbase are happy with that on the whole

We are very supportive which can be good and bad as you say.

However, what would being hostile (or less of a "soft touch") actually achieve though?

I think people are "happy" because they've only seen 1 loss. Depends which way you spin it I suppose.
Are we a soft touch? on 14:18 - Nov 23 with 1470 viewsBlueBadger

It is sometimes a bit puzzling as to the circumstance in which people will be supportive. Keane and Lambert in particular received baffling levels of support given that one played bad football and nearly relegated us and the other played bad football and actually relegated us.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Are we a soft touch? on 14:27 - Nov 23 with 1418 viewsIllinoisblue

Added to that is some Suffolk reserve, and a slowness to react. I’m constantly surprised at how many people on here and twitter say they’re enjoying the football so much more this season, as if we’ve suddenly turned into peak Barca. We’re still struggling to thrive in Division 3 and scraped by a terrible Oldham team in the cup. As you say, standards are so low.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Are we a soft touch? on 14:33 - Nov 23 with 1367 viewsPinewoodblue

We are just too predictable , we set ourselves up to play one way and if it doesn’t work change personnel rather than our approach.

Guess that makes us a soft touch and easy to prepare to play against.

It also seems that we, as supporters, are a soft touch as we seem happy with our clubs achievement in home games when in reality we should be calling for PC to sort it out.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Are we a soft touch? on 14:47 - Nov 23 with 1313 viewsKropotkin123

Are we a soft touch? on 14:27 - Nov 23 by Illinoisblue

Added to that is some Suffolk reserve, and a slowness to react. I’m constantly surprised at how many people on here and twitter say they’re enjoying the football so much more this season, as if we’ve suddenly turned into peak Barca. We’re still struggling to thrive in Division 3 and scraped by a terrible Oldham team in the cup. As you say, standards are so low.

Yet we smashed Doncaster 6-0, Portsmouth 4-0 and Wycombe 4-1. So giving Oldham as and example and labeling it as peak Barca is clearly disingenuous. From an attacking perspective we are enjoyable to watch for a league one side.

In those three league games alone we've scored more than a quarter of a season's worth under Lambert. We're currently the league's top scorers and some of those goals have been of high quality. There has evidently been an improvement from an attacking perspective.

It isn't a case of low standards. It is about giving credit where it is due (best attacking team in league one at the moment), recognising improvements in results, and giving time to sort the defense, based on the improvements we've seen up top.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Are we a soft touch? on 14:56 - Nov 23 with 1281 viewsJon_456

Are we a soft touch? on 14:27 - Nov 23 by Illinoisblue

I do think being at the games makes a difference to peoples opinion on how we're doing.

This season I find myself buzzing to go to games again. Sure results wise its hasnt gone as well as hoped but the games have been mostly enjoyable to watch. Compare that with the last 2 years under Mick where I was practically looking for excuses not to go to games despite having a ST.

Attendances seem to reflect that too so I cant be the only one.
Login to get fewer ads

Are we a soft touch? on 14:59 - Nov 23 with 1263 viewsHerbivore

Are we a soft touch? on 14:47 - Nov 23 by Kropotkin123

Yet we smashed Doncaster 6-0, Portsmouth 4-0 and Wycombe 4-1. So giving Oldham as and example and labeling it as peak Barca is clearly disingenuous. From an attacking perspective we are enjoyable to watch for a league one side.

In those three league games alone we've scored more than a quarter of a season's worth under Lambert. We're currently the league's top scorers and some of those goals have been of high quality. There has evidently been an improvement from an attacking perspective.

It isn't a case of low standards. It is about giving credit where it is due (best attacking team in league one at the moment), recognising improvements in results, and giving time to sort the defense, based on the improvements we've seen up top.

The improvement in our attacking play has been very patchy though. 14 of our 34 goals came in just 3 games, we've managed 20 goals in our remaining 15 games which is okay but nothing more. And other attacking metrics for us are not so favourable. If we were churning out excellent attacking displays on a consistent basis we'd probably be higher up the league than we are currently.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Are we a soft touch? on 14:59 - Nov 23 with 1261 viewsPendejo

Didn't Blue Action types raze the training ground to the, err, ground when protesting about Lambert?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Are we a soft touch? on 15:11 - Nov 23 with 1215 viewsIllinoisblue

Are we a soft touch? on 14:47 - Nov 23 by Kropotkin123

Works both ways, surely? For every good result you mention there’s probably two were we messed up badly - all the points thrown away at home and at Cambridge, not showing up at Accrington….

Anyway, fingers crossed for a great result tonight. Despite my pessimism I still do think if Cook can get us on a winning run we could have lift-off.

62 - 78 - 81

Are we a soft touch? on 15:13 - Nov 23 with 1206 viewsIllinoisblue

Are we a soft touch? on 14:59 - Nov 23 by Pendejo

Didn't Blue Action types raze the training ground to the, err, ground when protesting about Lambert?

The Playford Inferno.

62 - 78 - 81

Are we a soft touch? on 15:15 - Nov 23 with 1203 viewsGuthrum

How much good does furious hostility do?

When things turned really sour at the end of McCarthy's time, the rage and booing didn't result in better performances. Neither did it when Lambert was fading out.

Given we have a fairly newly put together squad, in what way is it going to encourage the players to bond, forge a successful team and feed off the crowd's energy, if all they hear is anger? Is it not, rather, going to batter down their morale, make them cautious in fear of mistakes and so on?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Are we a soft touch? on 15:30 - Nov 23 with 1165 viewsEwan_Oozami

Are we a soft touch? on 15:13 - Nov 23 by Illinoisblue

The Playford Inferno.

One of my favourite films...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Are we a soft touch? on 15:39 - Nov 23 with 1118 viewspositivity

Are we a soft touch? on 15:15 - Nov 23 by Guthrum

How much good does furious hostility do?

When things turned really sour at the end of McCarthy's time, the rage and booing didn't result in better performances. Neither did it when Lambert was fading out.

Given we have a fairly newly put together squad, in what way is it going to encourage the players to bond, forge a successful team and feed off the crowd's energy, if all they hear is anger? Is it not, rather, going to batter down their morale, make them cautious in fear of mistakes and so on?

i agree, though the counter argument is that if we'd been a bit more negative we could have got rid of mccarthy and lambert (and evans) sooner.

it's way too early with these owners and this team/manager though to start protesting!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Are we a soft touch? on 15:48 - Nov 23 with 1080 viewsIllinoisblue

Are we a soft touch? on 15:30 - Nov 23 by Ewan_Oozami

One of my favourite films...

An absolute classic of the genre. Up there with The Poseidon Adventure

62 - 78 - 81

Are we a soft touch? on 15:55 - Nov 23 with 1056 viewsGarv

Are we a soft touch? on 14:33 - Nov 23 by Pinewoodblue

We are just too predictable , we set ourselves up to play one way and if it doesn’t work change personnel rather than our approach.

Guess that makes us a soft touch and easy to prepare to play against.

It also seems that we, as supporters, are a soft touch as we seem happy with our clubs achievement in home games when in reality we should be calling for PC to sort it out.

'in reality we should be calling for PC to sort it out.'

Presumably this would make him work harder would it?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Are we a soft touch? on 15:56 - Nov 23 with 1046 viewsBlueBadger

Are we a soft touch? on 15:55 - Nov 23 by Garv

'in reality we should be calling for PC to sort it out.'

Presumably this would make him work harder would it?

Well, we tried banners, songs and forming a cult for Lambert....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Are we a soft touch? on 15:56 - Nov 23 with 1047 viewsEwan_Oozami

Are we a soft touch? on 15:48 - Nov 23 by Illinoisblue

An absolute classic of the genre. Up there with The Poseidon Adventure

Absolutely loved the disaster movies of the 70s - Earthquake was another...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Are we a soft touch? on 16:03 - Nov 23 with 1013 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Are we a soft touch? on 15:56 - Nov 23 by BlueBadger

Well, we tried banners, songs and forming a cult for Lambert....

Plus the players.
Are we a soft touch? on 16:13 - Nov 23 with 934 viewsKropotkin123

Are we a soft touch? on 15:11 - Nov 23 by Illinoisblue

Works both ways, surely? For every good result you mention there’s probably two were we messed up badly - all the points thrown away at home and at Cambridge, not showing up at Accrington….

Anyway, fingers crossed for a great result tonight. Despite my pessimism I still do think if Cook can get us on a winning run we could have lift-off.

Calling it peak Barca and taking our worst win is disingenuous and doesn't work both ways.

It would be like me saying we haven't been that bad defensively and giving the 1-0 loss to Lincoln as an example. When clearly it has been much worse than that - shipping five against Bolton for example

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

Are we a soft touch? on 16:17 - Nov 23 with 896 viewsKropotkin123

Are we a soft touch? on 14:59 - Nov 23 by Herbivore

The improvement in our attacking play has been very patchy though. 14 of our 34 goals came in just 3 games, we've managed 20 goals in our remaining 15 games which is okay but nothing more. And other attacking metrics for us are not so favourable. If we were churning out excellent attacking displays on a consistent basis we'd probably be higher up the league than we are currently.

We would. But peak Barca and enjoyment is what I was responding to. I am well aware we are inconsistent and have areas we can improve on.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2021 16:20]

Are we a soft touch? on 16:31 - Nov 23 with 847 viewsistanblue

Absolutely we are. Literally been saying this for YEARS. Evans got away with mediocrity, failure, false promises and neglect precisely because fans kept silent. The first serious anti-Evans chant I heard was at the Fleetwood home game in 19/20 (just before COVID). Until then, most fans either just happy-clapped, grumbled quietly or stayed away. Take this season as well for example, the expectations have been significantly downgraded compared to what was largely expected at the start of the season. Many were saying top 2, then after the poor start it became top 6, now some 'fans' are saying ''it's a 2 year project''. It's embarrassing actually.

I do in fact blame supporters for some part of the decline, yes. Happy-clapping and making excuses for failure and underachievement makes the whole vibe around the club one of tolerance and, indeed acceptance of, failure. I have no doubt that if much more noise was made during the Evans era shambles then he would've sold-up far sooner. As for the present, the same happy-clappers are now making excuses for Cook and his gis a job mates. They seem to find it utterly bewildering why other fans have the audacity to question a man who has a 30% win percentage whilst managing ITFC in the third-tier of English football. I'm not saying we should be creating a toxic atmosphere at matches, but simply pointing out that the new 'Cook cult' is cringeworthy and is not in the interests of the club. Remember, it's Ipswich Town FC, not Paul Cook FC.
Are we a soft touch? on 16:44 - Nov 23 with 820 viewsGuthrum

Are we a soft touch? on 15:39 - Nov 23 by positivity

i agree, though the counter argument is that if we'd been a bit more negative we could have got rid of mccarthy and lambert (and evans) sooner.

it's way too early with these owners and this team/manager though to start protesting!

Lambert, perhaps. Don't believe losing McCarthy sooner would have been particularly beneficial (especially if the same errors were made after).

As for Evans, we didn't have the leverage until a suitable buyer came along - or it might have caused him to sell to someone much worse!

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Are we a soft touch? on 16:49 - Nov 23 with 804 viewsclive_baker

Standards are painfully low, and over recent years they've seemed to trickle down from the top. We've had a largely absent owner, a leadership vacuum, unqualified people being asked a lot of, and management and players coasting along.

I'm optimistic that the structure at the club now is such that we'll improve on that front, but that remains to be seen. Roy Keane was a dreadful tactician and man manager, but he was right about 1 or 2 things here, the club has a pretty soft underbelly and a lot of our supporters are too accepting of mediocrity (or worse).

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024