Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath 13:02 - Apr 14 with 1446 viewsRyorry

Some thread by psychologist Prof Richard Bentall -

"IMHO the UK now faces a crisis that is, in some ways, even greater than the one we faced when confronting Hitler. In WW2 at least we had politicians of integrity, who upheld our democratic values, and around whom the nation could unite. There was no enemy within.

31/31 I've written an analysis of this (the bit of the thread relating to Brexit) before. TL:DR the public is open to the idea of a closer working relationship with Europe. A BETTER DEAL WITH EUROPE IS A VOTE WINNER.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2022 13:06]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:11 - Apr 14 with 1382 viewsChurchman

They will be out on their earholes in two years time at the latest. If they keep 150 seats, I’ll be surprised. They’re toast.
We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:12 - Apr 14 with 1376 viewsfooters

"the public is open to the idea of a closer working relationship with Europe. A BETTER DEAL WITH EUROPE IS A VOTE WINNER."

What does this mean?

There is no appetite for another referendum on the EU, and even if there were there's no way we'd enjoy half the privileges we once had if accepted.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:20 - Apr 14 with 1357 viewsRyorry

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:11 - Apr 14 by Churchman

They will be out on their earholes in two years time at the latest. If they keep 150 seats, I’ll be surprised. They’re toast.

I'd love you to be right, but did you read no. 13?

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:23 - Apr 14 with 1326 viewsRyorry

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:12 - Apr 14 by footers

"the public is open to the idea of a closer working relationship with Europe. A BETTER DEAL WITH EUROPE IS A VOTE WINNER."

What does this mean?

There is no appetite for another referendum on the EU, and even if there were there's no way we'd enjoy half the privileges we once had if accepted.

He's not asking for another ref. or rejoining, he's suggesting better working arrangements & functionality (edit - 'Norway' style deal).

[Post edited 14 Apr 2022 13:33]

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:28 - Apr 14 with 1292 viewslowhouseblue

is his first sentence a nod to godwin's law or is it an example of reductio ad hitlerum?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:31 - Apr 14 with 1279 viewsRyorry

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:28 - Apr 14 by lowhouseblue

is his first sentence a nod to godwin's law or is it an example of reductio ad hitlerum?

Err - it's just pointing out the clearly terrible state the UK's currently in, & danger of it sliding into even worse.

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:35 - Apr 14 with 1258 viewslowhouseblue

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:31 - Apr 14 by Ryorry

Err - it's just pointing out the clearly terrible state the UK's currently in, & danger of it sliding into even worse.

"a crisis that is, in some ways, even greater than the one we faced when confronting Hitler"

really? partygate points to many bad things, but comparable to fighting hitler? really?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:37 - Apr 14 with 1243 viewsfooters

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:23 - Apr 14 by Ryorry

He's not asking for another ref. or rejoining, he's suggesting better working arrangements & functionality (edit - 'Norway' style deal).

[Post edited 14 Apr 2022 13:33]

That's all well and good on paper, but in reality it has as much chance with this govt in charge as me getting a date with Keira Knightley.

But she ruined that chance by getting married to some lesser male. Sad but true.

Login to get fewer ads

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:41 - Apr 14 with 1227 viewsRyorry

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:35 - Apr 14 by lowhouseblue

"a crisis that is, in some ways, even greater than the one we faced when confronting Hitler"

really? partygate points to many bad things, but comparable to fighting hitler? really?

Read the thread.

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:43 - Apr 14 with 1213 viewsChurchman

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:20 - Apr 14 by Ryorry

I'd love you to be right, but did you read no. 13?

I have now. I haven’t read all the stuff tbh, but get the drift. I’m more of an optimist, believe it or not.

I don’t think that people can be manipulated as much as he suggests. In many ways people were manipulated by state controlled media far more in WW2. For example, did the people realise that Winston Churchill enjoyed fine dining of every luxury imaginable every day of the war? All washed down with vast quantities of champagne and scotch. Doubt it

I suspect people of the time that did know accepted it as a perk of the job, but the population of London didn’t accept his order for the underground to be locked to keep the plebs out when the bombing began. They just broke in and ignored him. And rightly so. They also threw him out in 1945 - rightly so.

Everybody knows what Johnson is and his sorry crew. They’re finished. The only chance they have is to resurrect Corbyn or drop the dirt on Starmer. I can’t see the opposition falling for it. The cliche the opposition don’t win elections, the government loses them is I think correct.
We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:47 - Apr 14 with 1202 viewswkj

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:11 - Apr 14 by Churchman

I wont. Society has a very different set of values these days. Whilst there is a lot of anger about Johnson's antics, the sociological ADHD has seen that he, and other democratically elected twapsticks, stay in power.

It's all politically incorrectness gone mad I tell you

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:48 - Apr 14 with 1201 viewsRyorry

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:37 - Apr 14 by footers

That's all well and good on paper, but in reality it has as much chance with this govt in charge as me getting a date with Keira Knightley.

But she ruined that chance by getting married to some lesser male. Sad but true.

Probably not your thing, but his end aim is 'Progressive Alliance' (Lab, Lib Dem & Greens) & getting enough 18-30s out to vote to help get it over the line - which I suppose, sadly, is nearly as unlikely :(
[Post edited 14 Apr 2022 13:49]

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:52 - Apr 14 with 1188 viewslowhouseblue

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:41 - Apr 14 by Ryorry

Read the thread.

i did. i'm also not keen on people diagnosing those they've never met. it ends up being more about the person making the diagnosis than the person being diagnosed. i suspect that all people who end up in national political leadership roles have atypical psychologies - political leadership probably involves many of the traits he points to. it feels like a professor of psychology using scientific terms as a political insult, which seems a bit unprofessional. mixing comparisons to hitler with pseudo-diagnosis feels quite uncomfortable to me.

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 14:00 - Apr 14 with 1156 viewsRyorry

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:52 - Apr 14 by lowhouseblue

i did. i'm also not keen on people diagnosing those they've never met. it ends up being more about the person making the diagnosis than the person being diagnosed. i suspect that all people who end up in national political leadership roles have atypical psychologies - political leadership probably involves many of the traits he points to. it feels like a professor of psychology using scientific terms as a political insult, which seems a bit unprofessional. mixing comparisons to hitler with pseudo-diagnosis feels quite uncomfortable to me.

Agreed. Nevertheless, Johnson's behaviour since his late teens is well-documented and can be objectively assessed to at least some degree.

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 14:03 - Apr 14 with 1141 viewsfooters

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:48 - Apr 14 by Ryorry

Probably not your thing, but his end aim is 'Progressive Alliance' (Lab, Lib Dem & Greens) & getting enough 18-30s out to vote to help get it over the line - which I suppose, sadly, is nearly as unlikely :(
[Post edited 14 Apr 2022 13:49]

I wouldn't disagree with any sort of leftist coalition, but the problem is Labour's drift to the right and the LD and Greens' lack of voter share.

The problem always boils down to FPTP sadly and many feeling their votes are wasted but needed to keep another party out.

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 14:06 - Apr 14 with 1135 viewsRyorry

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 14:03 - Apr 14 by footers

I wouldn't disagree with any sort of leftist coalition, but the problem is Labour's drift to the right and the LD and Greens' lack of voter share.

The problem always boils down to FPTP sadly and many feeling their votes are wasted but needed to keep another party out.

True, and a very chicken/egg situation unfortunately re any reform of our electoral system.

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 14:23 - Apr 14 with 1085 viewschicoazul

That first sentence is utterly insane.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 15:40 - Apr 14 with 991 viewsHARRY10

Despite the howls of outrage from the opposition there is little appetite for Johnsons removal. Whoever replaces him will be an improvement, a vast improvement. Let him continue with his rogue elephant wrecking of the country

A career that involves sackings and failures was only ever going to end one way - he finally becomes accountable for his lies., and he disappears up the backside of his own long line of failings

But not yet.

The sh itstorm ahead means no Tory either wants to be the 'nightwatchman' to keep wicket during the storm, and end up taking all the flak for something not of their making.

Meanwhile the sensible wing of the Tory party (yes, I know) will be sorting itself out, agreeing a leader and planning to take the party back.

But not yet

The upcoming local elections will be a wake up call for hundreds of councillors (who resemble the Major in Fawlty Towers, and the vomiting woman in Little Britain) are thrown out of office. The democracy they have so long opposed has finally run them over.

It will be like throwing the windows open to let in the air, and the light. Councils will fall as the country finally wakes up to the disaster that has been its dalliance with 'rightieness'. One that has seen such oddities and third raters as Patel, Hancock, Rees-Mogg, Dorries, Rabb.... oversee the deaths of 170,000 and the wasting of BILLIONS on failed PPE, track and trace etc

And as crops rot in the fields and jobs go unfilled it is likely this electoral jolt will shake some of those bigots back to life and they will see, as in the Wind in the Willow, the stoats, weasels and other assorted vermin have taken over Toad Hall (No.10) - and it is finally time to take it back

But not just yet
We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 16:07 - Apr 14 with 960 viewsRyorry

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 15:40 - Apr 14 by HARRY10

Despite the howls of outrage from the opposition there is little appetite for Johnsons removal. Whoever replaces him will be an improvement, a vast improvement. Let him continue with his rogue elephant wrecking of the country

A career that involves sackings and failures was only ever going to end one way - he finally becomes accountable for his lies., and he disappears up the backside of his own long line of failings

But not yet.

The sh itstorm ahead means no Tory either wants to be the 'nightwatchman' to keep wicket during the storm, and end up taking all the flak for something not of their making.

Meanwhile the sensible wing of the Tory party (yes, I know) will be sorting itself out, agreeing a leader and planning to take the party back.

But not yet

The upcoming local elections will be a wake up call for hundreds of councillors (who resemble the Major in Fawlty Towers, and the vomiting woman in Little Britain) are thrown out of office. The democracy they have so long opposed has finally run them over.

It will be like throwing the windows open to let in the air, and the light. Councils will fall as the country finally wakes up to the disaster that has been its dalliance with 'rightieness'. One that has seen such oddities and third raters as Patel, Hancock, Rees-Mogg, Dorries, Rabb.... oversee the deaths of 170,000 and the wasting of BILLIONS on failed PPE, track and trace etc

And as crops rot in the fields and jobs go unfilled it is likely this electoral jolt will shake some of those bigots back to life and they will see, as in the Wind in the Willow, the stoats, weasels and other assorted vermin have taken over Toad Hall (No.10) - and it is finally time to take it back

But not just yet

Some kernels of truth in there - and you made me laugh, ta :)

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 20:29 - Apr 14 with 886 viewsSwansea_Blue

Thanks for the link Ryorry. That’s a fascinating thread and so are the various links. He explains a lot about how we’ve got here and what we expect next from Johnson and this government. Has he got the solution right? Who knows, but he makes a very compelling case. I’m not sure the different parties are selflessness enough to work together or to change the system if they did win, but let’s hope I’m being overly cynical on that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 10:32 - Apr 16 with 684 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 15:40 - Apr 14 by HARRY10

But not yet.

But not yet

But not just yet

And the problem is that in the meantime, whilst " the sensible wing of the Tory party" bides its time looking to heap as much of this sh1tstorm as possible on Johnson, many, many people in the country suffer real hardship.

Right here, right now.

I understand the analysis but the result of the referendum has caused a transformation of the Tory party. Whereas previously a significant minority in the Parliamentary party were of a UKIP persuasion (were that not the case then no referendum would have been called), since then these people are in the majoirty. They are the Tory party and "the sensible wing" is such a rump as to be ineffective.

So elements of the party are undoubtedly waiting for the "right" moment to oust Johnson but all the country will get as a replacement is a more competent version of the same - Johnson's smarter brother if you will. And the hardship will continue.

Right here, right now.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 13:05 - Apr 16 with 603 viewsRyorry

We're living in an "elected dictatorship ('pathocracy') run by a psychopath on 10:32 - Apr 16 by You_Bloo_Right

And the problem is that in the meantime, whilst " the sensible wing of the Tory party" bides its time looking to heap as much of this sh1tstorm as possible on Johnson, many, many people in the country suffer real hardship.

Right here, right now.

I understand the analysis but the result of the referendum has caused a transformation of the Tory party. Whereas previously a significant minority in the Parliamentary party were of a UKIP persuasion (were that not the case then no referendum would have been called), since then these people are in the majoirty. They are the Tory party and "the sensible wing" is such a rump as to be ineffective.

So elements of the party are undoubtedly waiting for the "right" moment to oust Johnson but all the country will get as a replacement is a more competent version of the same - Johnson's smarter brother if you will. And the hardship will continue.

Right here, right now.

Some green shoots of hope last week, shows that Progressive Alliance works when a system of parties agreeing to stand aside in order to allow only the strongest one to contest the seat is organised. Yes only 1,948 votes were cast, so caution still needed & can't be complacent, but it gives room for optimism -

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20071898.local-council-election-tories-hit-big

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024