McDonnell to Be Offered New Deal
Thursday, 21st Apr 2016 14:11
Town boss Mick McCarthy has confirmed that the Blues are taking up an option for a further year on young midfielder Adam McDonnell’s contract and will be offering the 18-year-old Irishman a new deal.
“There is an option, we’re offering him another contract, but we’ll take the option up, whatever,” McCarthy said.
McDonnell, whose only first-team game so far came from the start in the 4-1 win at Doncaster in the Capital One Cup in August, joined Town from Dublin side Shelbourne in the summer of 2014.
The Irish U18 international, who was prevented from playing competitive football by FIFA red tape during his first season at Portman Road, was on the bench at Sheffield Wednesday last week and could be the fringe player McCarthy says he’s considering playing at Middlesbrough on Saturday.
Photo: Action Images
Please report offensive, libellous or inappropriate posts by using the links provided.
|Currie10 added 14:45 - Apr 21|
I have no idea why he was on the bench v Wendy and not in the squad vs Fulham.
Give him a go before now and the end of the season!
|Lightningboy added 14:55 - Apr 21|
The likes of Burley had the guts to put these kids into the team at the beginning of a season.
Our season has long been over yet McCarthy still dithers over giving our youth a proper chance.
|Mullet added 15:10 - Apr 21|
Really impressed me at Doncaster despite not having the best of games. The natural talent is evident
|blueblood66 added 15:11 - Apr 21|
Dozzell played Saturday and Tuesday @lighteningboy, but of course Mick never gives 16 year olds a chance. WHAT?
|jas0999 added 15:30 - Apr 21|
This is promising news. Would like to see him given an hour between now and the end of the season. No reason why not. He is the future, not Coke, Toure and certainly not Douglas.
|mutters added 15:40 - Apr 21|
@lighteningboy, now is the time to give youngsters a chance, up until that last game or so we had a chance of playoffs, only the real negative types would have you know that our season was over months ago.
MM Played Dozzy, he will give the kids a chance, when the time is right. Now is that time.
|Eireannach_gorm added 15:46 - Apr 21|
I actually thought he would be off in the summer ( might have been better for his career ). There is no point in retaining him unless we give him a chance in the first team. I believe he is a great prospect but dont think the club will maximise his ( and others ) potential.
|Currie10 added 16:06 - Apr 21|
I agree to a point Mutters, but with three to go he needs to give more than just Dozzell minutes.
|muccletonjoe added 16:52 - Apr 21|
McDonnell has looked class the couple of times i have seen him. Well worth his contract.
|Lightningboy added 16:55 - Apr 21|
He's only chucked Dozzel in now after it's too late.
|mickeyjb added 17:03 - Apr 21|
Is dozzell better than this lad? I have a friend of mine who son plays in the same England team as dozzell.
|mutters added 18:45 - Apr 21|
I hear ya Currie10. These boys need minutes, you cant blood them when pushing for promotion unless they are really special. Lets see what the academy has now and go from there.
|Bergholtblue added 19:05 - Apr 21|
The point is we will be playing Boro who will be desperate to be champions and Derby keen to keep home advantage in the play-offs.
Play youngsters and get an embarrassing score line against us will do their confidence no good.
Sooner play Coke and Douglas and get an embarrassing scoreline, then they themselves may realise that they are not up to this level and move on in the summer.
|blueherts added 22:02 - Apr 21|
This lad has real potential
Class - hope he gets a run out
Why not play him vs Boro and Derby
We have nothing to lose
|Pilgrimblue added 23:29 - Apr 21|
He should have been given plenty of chances but MM sticks to his rigid plan of not trying to lose!
For me Dozzell should have been put on as sub say last 30 mins as it was clear that Bru and McD were best option from start. However MM prefers Douglas and this is where it all goes wrong. We only need one holding midfielder not three!!! So if god willing MM wanted to play attacking football there'd have been plenty of chances for youth during the season, alas he doesn't until it's too late. Idiot
|arablue added 00:39 - Apr 22|
Adopting a not to lose model when the business of football is about winning does not make sense, either of the commin kind nor the footballing ones..
|trevski added 00:51 - Apr 22|
Great should give him ago. What happened to the good old Burley days where the likes of Wickham, Rhodes, Westlake, Garven, Price, Barron all coming through the youth team.
Only three games left and even though we can mathematically get into the playoffs (by one point) give the youngsters and bit players a run out. Think the next squad should consist of:
Digby Malarczyk Emmanuel Kenlock
Toure Dozzell Bishop McDonnell
And have a few of the senior players on the bench. Gives the main players a bit of a rest. The youngsters and bit players can gain some experience. Can also help see who of the short-termers/youngsters/bit players need to be kept on/sold or loaned out. But I doubt Mick will think that way
|harlingblue added 01:19 - Apr 22|
trevski, the team that you are suggesting is the same type that destroyed our season, ie pick players not used to playing together against Man U/Portsmouth in the Cup games and then expect the normal 1st team squad to the perform in league games.
The fact that our club didn't put out teams worthy to win in cup competitions has shown that our form in the league has dipped to a level that most teams can get at least a draw against us, even the bottom half.
You need to login in order to post your comments
Blogs 291 bloggers
Ipswich Town Polls