Please log in or register
McCarthy: Players Will Have to Leave Before Too Many More Can Be Signed
Monday, 26th Jun 2017 17:24

Town boss Mick McCarthy says there will have to be players leaving his squad before he can make too many more additions.

So far the Blues have signed striker Joe Garner from Rangers for a £1 million, while Manchester City youngster Bersant Celina is expected to complete a season-long loan in the days to come.

Jordan Spence, who was on a short-term deal last season, has signed a two-year contract, while Cardiff have accepted an offer for Emyr Huws, who spent the second half of the last campaign at Portman Road.

McCarthy says he has other irons in the fire: “Oh yes, those have been ongoing for a long, long time and we’ll see what comes of them.”

The Blues manager says he and owner Marcus Evans, who appears to have loosened the purse strings this summer, are singing from the same hymn sheet.

“Yes, even if I wasn’t, I wouldn’t tell you,” he joked. “But we are with the signings that have made already and the ones that we’re trying to sign. We’re going to have to get some out, then hopefully we can freshen it up a little bit more.”

McCarthy says Evans remains as ambitious as ever: “Yes, we all want to get promoted, we all want to emulate Huddersfield or Blackpool from a few years ago or whoever else you want to name, Barnsley from years ago, that got promoted out of the blue. Everybody wants to be that team. But it’s going to be quite a lot of hard work.”

Is Evans backing him financially? “It’s at what level. We’ve already spent some money. But we’re going to have to lose some before we go around signing too many others.

“I’ve had words with a few of them and something may come of that and if it does then we might be able to change it around and get some other players in. If not, then we’ll be back with the same and trying to do our best.”

In May TWTD reported that striker Brett Pitman and midfielder Kevin Bru - who remained in France on the first day of pre-season training - have been told they can find clubs, but McCarthy wouldn’t confirm the identities of those he has told can move on: “I wouldn’t discuss that because they’re still our players.”

McCarthy wouldn’t be drawn on how many signings he hoped to make before the Blues travel to Ireland for the annual training camp at the Carton House Hotel in Co Kildare in a week’s time.

“I think I’ve told you before, somebody once asked me that question and I was thick enough or naive enough to give them a number. And now I’m neither of those things.”

Get a free £50 matched bet on Ipswich Town v Birmingham City (or other matches) by opening a new account at Ladbrokes. Place an initial bet of a minimum of £10 and Ladbrokes will match that bet up to £50. You must enter the promotional code "F50" when placing your first bet. See T&Cs for details.

Photo: TWTD



Please report offensive, libellous or inappropriate posts by using the links provided.



Rentaghost added 17:36 - Jun 26
Exciting times ahead😊
3

bigolconnor added 17:36 - Jun 26
See you Bartos. Thanks for keeping us up. No purse strings have been f@@king loosened. McCarthy has obviously been told he has to sell our greatest asset to get more money. I quit!!
-1

Mark added 17:37 - Jun 26
Really?! We have such a small squad already though. Berra's gone, Diagoraga has gone, Douglas has gone, Lawrence has gone, Samuel has gone, Best has gone...that is 6 out. Murphy still not replaced. Great if we sign Huws, but he was here on loan before anyway. So we are only talking Garner and Celina joining, 2 in and 6 out. How on earth do we need to ship out others?
7

Mark added 17:37 - Jun 26
Coke has gone too, that is 7 out. My apologies, Giles. :-)
2

bigolconnor added 17:46 - Jun 26
That's what i mean, he's talking players being sold as opposed to leaving to make space. All we have from the talent pool is McGoldrick (go ahead) Bishop, Dozzell, Bart and Webster
-2

OwainG1992 added 17:48 - Jun 26
Come on guys don't be so negative already! I think it's a fair comment which Mick has made here.
1

bigolconnor added 17:50 - Jun 26
how?
0

CalmoreBlue added 17:50 - Jun 26
I really hope this isn't leading to us being told Bart is a premier league player and will grace the top league during his career.
Cue bids arriving.
Gaining 3 or 4 players but losing the quality of Bart will hinder progress for sure.
5

BlueandTruesince82 added 17:51 - Jun 26
Odd. We've lost a lot of players this year so thought a bit more room. Maybe not for fees but certainly wages.

Get Huws in and that's a start, imagine Pitman is on a fair whack and I wouldn't have thought we'd be short of takers for him.....
2

cranky_old_tractor added 18:02 - Jun 26
Need to see more action before we believe purse strings have loosened. It could be the start of Bart's departure to pay for the players brought in. Evans - time to show you have ambition. Get more decent players in to increase the size of squad and we may start to believe again.
0

mojo added 18:04 - Jun 26
Mark - You can add Williams, Digby - squad fillers if nothing else.
2

StokeHigh97 added 18:16 - Jun 26
It's obvious what this means: once they sign the players he wants (4/5 I reckon) if they need anymore than Pitman Bru etc need to find new clubs before further additions: no need to panic!!!
3

blueboy1981 added 18:48 - Jun 26
........ in other words - shoe string budget yet again, which means top six ambition in word ONLY.

Season after season - mugging the gullible public. And they will get away with it - yet again.
-4

Mark added 18:58 - Jun 26
Mojo - I totally forgot those two, but easily done given their contributions.
1

TimmyH added 19:41 - Jun 26
Players leaving probably in the form of Webster and Bialkowski knowing this club, haven't we got rid of a few already?
0

northblue added 20:25 - Jun 26
Stop bring negetive or are you scum trying to stir it up.
-2

Superblue95 added 21:40 - Jun 26
People moan about the deadweight in the club such as Douglas, Coke, Best and loanees (Samuel, Williams who was crocked) blocking the young players from coming through and then count all those players when mentioning how our squad has been weakened. Shame how so many comments on this site are by such moronic whingers
5

blueboy1981 added 22:56 - Jun 26
Swn98 is about again - finger still glued to the minus button.

Doesn't take much to please some does it ? ........ what lucky people you are ME and MM - a signing, or two, and all is forget, and all is well.

They both know it's all it takes to please few ITFC punters - not all of us though ...!!! - thankfully.
-2

blueboy1981 added 22:57 - Jun 26
..... better add the 'a' between 'please' and 'few' - for the benefit of some.
0

blues1 added 00:08 - Jun 27
Bigolconnor. He's saying quite clearly that in order to sign more players than we already have, we would have to get rid of players 1st. Which means exactly that he will sell them, then replace them. Can only assume u misread the story to have thought he saying otherwise. Of course the purse strings have been loosened. We've already paid around £1m for garner plus whatever we are paying for Huws. And had a bid of £2m for ward, plus 2 players to go on loan wage free. So hardly working on a shoestring.
1

RimmersBrace added 07:17 - Jun 27
I still think McGoldrick is the one he's talking about.
0

PJewellisaGod added 08:32 - Jun 27
wish the club would realise we are not that stupid.

Super-small squad size already. 7 players released from club. Diagouraga, Lawrence also gone. That means 9 have left. We have signed Garner and the guy from Man City. Huws and Spence were already at the club, meaning we are 7 players down from last season.
-1

PJewellisaGod added 08:33 - Jun 27
Forgot about Williams. Equals 8 players down at moment.
1

itfcbam added 09:38 - Jun 27
Sadly that's the economics. We are far from a cash rich club so have to balance the books somewhere. Remember, before transfer activity we normally run at a loss. There are approx 10 teams with parachute money greater than our annual turnover and than doesn't include clubs without that have a bigger fan base than us like Leeds, Forest, Sheff Wed to name a few, si it will be tough.
Also be realistic, I'm sure MM doesn't necessarily want to lose better players, but like last year with Murphy if a bigger club comes along offering far more than we can afford the players head will also be turned.
One thing MM has been good at is keeping things quiet about targets / money, negotiating these deals can be a bit like poker. Keeping cards close to chest, if we do have money and say so any potential sellers will think we can go high and bump the price up so you pay over the odds. Likewise we go after a player publicly then another club with greater resources then think they might want him too and blow us out of water with wages.
1

guentchev added 09:59 - Jun 27
We've lost a fair few players, however think the idea is this year to start bringing through some of the youngsters. Downes, Nydam and Benyu are all itching for time in midfield so may well replace the likes of Diag, Coke et al in that area. Blanchfield can operate on the right so adequate in that position. Morris wants game time in attack. Expect to see many of these players, albeit from the bench, next season.
3


You need to login in order to post your comments

Blogs 233 bloggers

Ipswich Town Polls

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2017