Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How good (relatively) is McKenna? 11:31 - Sep 25 with 6711 viewsSmithersJones

Having this debate with my QPR supporting son yesterday. I honestly think he's in the top 5 in England right now. Which sounds crazy, as we're the 22nd best team, but outside of Guardiola, Ange, Klop, maybe Arteta I'm struggling to see many who wouldn't be a downgrade if they came here. Certainly he's got to be right up there as one of the best British managers currently.
How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 11:37 - Sep 25 with 4261 viewsSomethingBlue

It's very hard to tell but I suspect, if there were a way to put them side by side, he wouldn't be embarrassed next to someone like Julian Nagelsmann.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 11:42 - Sep 25 with 4194 viewsRozz

The size of the task of managing us vs the clubs of the managers you have listed is completely incomparable. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

From what I've seen he's an excellent coach - there's much more to being a top manager at the highest level.
How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 11:45 - Sep 25 with 4165 viewshomer_123

He's bang average.

On the basis we don't want to talk him up and speed his exit from the Club.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 11:50 - Sep 25 with 4103 viewsbluestandard

Erm, lets not get ahead of ourselves. McKenna undoubtedly has a very bright future in the game and his potential is great, but I'm sure he is humble enough to even admit himself that he hasn't achieved anything yet. It doesn't take much looking to find managers who are ahead of him. Howe, Emery, Silva, Frank, Potter, Kompany, have all achieved promotion to the Premier League and have similar 'progressive' playing style credentials even before you look at the up and comers like De Zerbi (killing it at the top of the Prem) and Ten Haag who also play progressive football.
How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 11:54 - Sep 25 with 4052 viewsKeno

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 11:45 - Sep 25 by homer_123

He's bang average.

On the basis we don't want to talk him up and speed his exit from the Club.

Spot on Homey

actually on reflection he's a bit 'meh' and I wouldn't think any other team should be interested

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 11:57 - Sep 25 with 4028 viewsVegtablue

Very hard to say what position. De Zerbi, Frank, Emery, Howe, Cooper, Moyes and Silva have also had good or great impacts at current/recent clubs. It doesn't feel wrong to include him in their company. At our level Schumacher and Lowe continue to do well. He's in my top 5 but I'm biased 😅
How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 12:10 - Sep 25 with 3936 viewsElephantintheRoom

Not very based on last season - when despite a huge financial advantage Town very nearly contrived not to get promoted - and still came second to Plymouth who lived within their means and lost key players mid season.

Quite good judged on this season - though it is a tad early to be crowing just yet

He always sounds impressive - which helps. And you can’t imagine him ‘losing the dressing room’ whilst dealing with the calibre of players Town have at present.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 12:20 - Sep 25 with 3841 viewsSharkey

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 11:50 - Sep 25 by bluestandard

Erm, lets not get ahead of ourselves. McKenna undoubtedly has a very bright future in the game and his potential is great, but I'm sure he is humble enough to even admit himself that he hasn't achieved anything yet. It doesn't take much looking to find managers who are ahead of him. Howe, Emery, Silva, Frank, Potter, Kompany, have all achieved promotion to the Premier League and have similar 'progressive' playing style credentials even before you look at the up and comers like De Zerbi (killing it at the top of the Prem) and Ten Haag who also play progressive football.

If it's success in Europe one's after, it's hard to see that Unai Emery would be a 'downgrade'.
Login to get fewer ads

Be careful Trunkface.... on 12:22 - Sep 25 with 3816 viewsBloots

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 12:10 - Sep 25 by ElephantintheRoom

Not very based on last season - when despite a huge financial advantage Town very nearly contrived not to get promoted - and still came second to Plymouth who lived within their means and lost key players mid season.

Quite good judged on this season - though it is a tad early to be crowing just yet

He always sounds impressive - which helps. And you can’t imagine him ‘losing the dressing room’ whilst dealing with the calibre of players Town have at present.

....about 50% of that post was vaguely positive!

You're slipping.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 12:23 - Sep 25 with 3819 views_clive_baker_

Yeah 99 points in a season, absolutely terrible wasn't it.
How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 12:27 - Sep 25 with 3762 viewsSamWhiteUK

"Not very good"

Idiot.
Be careful Trunkface.... on 12:38 - Sep 25 with 3683 viewsIllinoisblue

Be careful Trunkface.... on 12:22 - Sep 25 by Bloots

....about 50% of that post was vaguely positive!

You're slipping.

Same. Thought he’d been hacked.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 12:38 - Sep 25 with 3694 viewsAlanG296

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 12:23 - Sep 25 by _clive_baker_

Yeah 99 points in a season, absolutely terrible wasn't it.

It was 98 actually and we finished just 2 points ahead of a basket case club.

An exceptional last third of the season saved us after a deep mid season slump and we'll never know what would have happened if we hadn't had the means to sign the 4 in January who incidentally all scored on Saturday.

Let's judge McKenna on this season when he has financial disadvantages against many of the opponents rather than the financial advantages he had over virtually everyone last season.

So far, so very good.
How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 12:41 - Sep 25 with 3671 viewsitfcjoe

I don't think there is a better manager in the EFL, hard to judge against PL clubs though as the level of scrutiny is so high and he hasn't faced that yet - but he is undoubtedly a special one

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 12:43 - Sep 25 with 3640 viewsBiGDonnie

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 12:38 - Sep 25 by AlanG296

An exceptional last third of the season saved us after a deep mid season slump and we'll never know what would have happened if we hadn't had the means to sign the 4 in January who incidentally all scored on Saturday.

Let's judge McKenna on this season when he has financial disadvantages against many of the opponents rather than the financial advantages he had over virtually everyone last season.

So far, so very good.

Why would we ignore half his time as manager when discussing him? Weird.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 12:44 - Sep 25 with 3618 viewsIllinoisblue

So far, so very good.

You are elephant’s burner account and I claim my $5

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 12:49 - Sep 25 with 3566 viewsAlanG296

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 12:43 - Sep 25 by BiGDonnie

Why would we ignore half his time as manager when discussing him? Weird.

We don't, Wee Donald, just pointing out that the challenge facing McKenna this season is very different to last season and as I said, so far, so very good.
How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 12:55 - Sep 25 with 3517 viewsbackwaywhen

Then he was finding his managerial feet and season end he had found them , now he growing that early experience with aplomb , he is destined for the top IMHO
Sir Alf , Sir Bobby …… I will leave this here !
How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 12:57 - Sep 25 with 3502 viewsSwansea_Blue

Based on what we’ve seen from how he goes about his business, VERY good. I’d put him in the same bracket as Rodgers (in terms of approach, mentality, attention to detail, man management, emotional intelligence). If he carries on like this, there’s no reason why he can’t coach/manage at the very top. Lots of variables come into that though, so who knows.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 13:08 - Sep 25 with 3418 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I mean you've missed De Zerbi. Who is one of the most impressive managers in the world.

We all love McKenna and there is genuinely nobody I would swap him for. But it is still very early days as a manager for Mckenna. You have people in the Prem like Moyes who won a European trophy last year. Eddie Howe who did a superb job with Bournemouth and got Newcastle in the top 4.

So its hard to say this early

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 13:16 - Sep 25 with 3364 views_clive_baker_

So far, so very good.

Are you aware that a season is 46 games long? Over the course of the season we amassed 98 points, scored 101 goals and lost 4 games. Our points haul in the first half was similar to the 2nd.

There is absolute no case that we only went up owing to 'a basket case'. They got 96 points ffs and we still finished above them.
How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 13:35 - Sep 25 with 3255 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

More to the point, why is your son a QPR supporter?! Something's gone very wrong there.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 13:36 - Sep 25 with 3247 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Interesting how you laud Plymouth, whose best players last season were all loan players. You'd be slating that scenario if it were us.

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 13:37 - Sep 25 with 3236 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So far, so very good.

Would that last third count (in your eyes) if it were spread out across the season a bit more?

How good (relatively) is McKenna? on 13:38 - Sep 25 with 3231 viewsitfcsuth

I think the real question here is why's your son supporting QPR and not Ipswich?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024