Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
favorite cheap meals? 15:31 - Jan 8 with 9620 viewsgiant_stow

run out of money again and off to Lidl soon - no Sainsburys delivery this week - oh no! So any ideas for tasty cheap meals?

All i have in my locker is:
Tuna Pasta bake
Spicy bean /sausage stew
Ham and cheese pancakes.

Oh and the cheat's trash food of those mini Goodfella's pizzas

ta!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

favorite cheap meals? on 11:29 - Jan 9 with 1325 viewsgeg1992

Couple of my favourites

Sausages, Potato Wedges and baked beans - can be done for under £1 a serving depending on sausages used. I like Aldi 45% reduced fat. Only 76 calories each. To be really cheap can get the 20 sausages for like £2 from Tesco - not as bad as I thought they'd be.

Pasta, pasta sauce, chopped pepper, onion, sweetcorn and whatever other veg I have - again easily under £1 per serving. If there's any left over meat I chuck it in too. Perfect to take to work for lunch.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

favorite cheap meals? on 11:31 - Jan 9 with 1310 viewsbaxterbasics

Pot Noodles are currently 70p in Stressco if you have a clubcard.

You are welcome.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

favorite cheap meals? on 11:34 - Jan 9 with 1298 viewsgiant_stow

This could become a twtd low-cost cookbook!

Genuine thanks all and I hope it helps others in future who find themselves skint.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

favorite cheap meals? on 11:37 - Jan 9 with 1280 viewsCotty

Cut out the meat and you'll save a bomb.
favorite cheap meals? on 11:46 - Jan 9 with 1256 views_clive_baker_

favorite cheap meals? on 11:31 - Jan 9 by baxterbasics

You are welcome.

And £28.60 if you don't
favorite cheap meals? on 11:48 - Jan 9 with 1253 viewsblueasfook

favorite cheap meals? on 11:37 - Jan 9 by Cotty

Cut out the meat and you'll save a bomb.

Ingore this veggie propaganda. They'll try anything to convert people.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

favorite cheap meals? on 11:52 - Jan 9 with 1235 viewsCotty

favorite cheap meals? on 11:48 - Jan 9 by blueasfook

Ingore this veggie propaganda. They'll try anything to convert people.

Except I'm not a veggie and it's excellent advice.
favorite cheap meals? on 12:00 - Jan 9 with 1193 viewsElephantintheRoom

Beans or sardines in toast are fairly cheap - and for a real treat you can treat yourself to a boiled egg on the beans.

If your not averse to preparing vegetables you can have quite a substantial winter meal with roast veg of various sorts with plenty of spuds onions and sweet potatoes to pad it out.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

favorite cheap meals? on 12:04 - Jan 9 with 1198 viewsChiefXL

favorite cheap meals? on 15:42 - Jan 8 by giant_stow

Cheers both. What cut of meet for the Beef / Ale pie please? (sorry if this is a stupid question.

Shin is the only acceptable answer to this
favorite cheap meals? on 12:27 - Jan 9 with 1153 viewsDubtractor

favorite cheap meals? on 12:04 - Jan 9 by ChiefXL

Shin is an excellent choice, but Cook for another hour if that's what you go for.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

favorite cheap meals? on 12:32 - Jan 9 with 1143 viewswischip

favorite cheap meals? on 11:31 - Jan 9 by baxterbasics

You are welcome.

I hadn't had a Pot Noodle probably for 10 years. Now I've had 4 in the last month.
favorite cheap meals? on 12:48 - Jan 9 with 1122 viewsNthQldITFC

favorite cheap meals? on 12:04 - Jan 9 by ChiefXL

Was the question:

With which part of his body did Graham Harbey most often make contact with the ball?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

favorite cheap meals? on 13:30 - Jan 9 with 1076 viewsSharkey

I helped my nephew with this. Took him to an 'Asian' shop and stocked up on dried beans, several varieties. (He had no idea there were so many beans available.) Also random packs of various 'masala', very cheap because approaching/over sell-by date. (Probably the flavours have faded a bit, but just chuck a bit more in.) Soak beans overnight and cooking them is no effort. One or two potatoes is always a good addition to a bean soup. I don't know if dried beans are actually much cheaper in the Asian shops than in Lidl, but they have a lot more varieties.

Also look in charity shops for suitable cook books. They do exist, for about 50p.
favorite cheap meals? on 13:48 - Jan 9 with 1053 viewsWicklowBlue

favorite cheap meals? on 19:01 - Jan 8 by CrayonKing

Agree with Too Good To Go, although it's very store dependent as to what's worth getting. I always found Greggs bags were great (packed lunch for the kids the next day) and Morrisons cold-food cafe bags can be a bargain depending on who's bagging them up that night. Conversely I found the morrisons grocery bags to be more miss than hit at my local.

Another tip is to get to know when your local supermarket marks food down. We often get bargain meat or fish for the freezer at Morrisons or Waitrose at that 5-5:30pm sweet spot.

Finally don't be ashamed to contact your local food bank. They're there to help people who need it, whatever their circumstances, and in my experience are awesome people who just want to help their communities.

Sorry accidental down arrow! Agree with all you said.

In the evenings if the Lidl has a bakery they essential Mark down any of those items massively. Buy and freeze them.

Edit: Super noodle sandwiches were my go to in college, still snack on them today. Aldi/Lidl instant noodle packs are circa 30 cent here. (Aldi's are vastly superior flavour wise, and 6 times cheaper than super noodles)
[Post edited 9 Jan 13:54]
favorite cheap meals? on 14:40 - Jan 9 with 1003 viewsBluespeed225

favorite cheap meals? on 11:19 - Jan 9 by hoppy

What was the purpose of the potions?

The wife's a witch! her and that bloody cat...
favorite cheap meals? on 15:04 - Jan 9 with 957 viewshoppy

favorite cheap meals? on 14:40 - Jan 9 by Bluespeed225

The wife's a witch! her and that bloody cat...

Obviously won't quote you on that...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

favorite cheap meals? on 16:23 - Jan 9 with 900 viewsSarge

If you have any wine leftover from Christmas, the Bosh vegan chilli is excellent. I would however, at least double all of the herbs and spices from their recipe as they put in far too little (not in terms of heat, but just flavour imo). It’s also taken to a different level with the inclusion of chipotle paste

https://www.bosh.tv/recipes/ultimate-chilli

Two of my favourite sandwiches for lunches are a simple egg mayo and cress on a part baked baguette and, again using up some Christmas stores maybe, a tiger baguette slathered in seriously strong spreadable (vintage preferably) and as many Cheeselets as you can pile on.

Another thing I do sometimes is get a box of ready rolled filo pastry and top with spinach, tomato, cheese, any proteins of your choice for a sort of pizza. More often though I make my own pizza dough, it’s easy, and top as you like. Not quite as cheap as mini frozen pizzas possibly but has the potential to be healthier and more filling.
favorite cheap meals? on 16:39 - Jan 9 with 866 viewsJ2BLUE

favorite cheap meals? on 16:23 - Jan 9 by Sarge

If you have any wine leftover from Christmas, the Bosh vegan chilli is excellent. I would however, at least double all of the herbs and spices from their recipe as they put in far too little (not in terms of heat, but just flavour imo). It’s also taken to a different level with the inclusion of chipotle paste

https://www.bosh.tv/recipes/ultimate-chilli

Two of my favourite sandwiches for lunches are a simple egg mayo and cress on a part baked baguette and, again using up some Christmas stores maybe, a tiger baguette slathered in seriously strong spreadable (vintage preferably) and as many Cheeselets as you can pile on.

Another thing I do sometimes is get a box of ready rolled filo pastry and top with spinach, tomato, cheese, any proteins of your choice for a sort of pizza. More often though I make my own pizza dough, it’s easy, and top as you like. Not quite as cheap as mini frozen pizzas possibly but has the potential to be healthier and more filling.

This has reminded me, pitta bread pizzas are a favourite of mine.

Quick, easy, cheap and delicious.

I use wholemeal pittas, some tomato sauce from any tomato based pasta sauce and 30% reduced fat cheddar. Chuck on a few toppings. Job done.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

favorite cheap meals? on 16:43 - Jan 9 with 848 viewsMatterhorn

favorite cheap meals? on 16:39 - Jan 9 by J2BLUE

This has reminded me, pitta bread pizzas are a favourite of mine.

Quick, easy, cheap and delicious.

I use wholemeal pittas, some tomato sauce from any tomato based pasta sauce and 30% reduced fat cheddar. Chuck on a few toppings. Job done.

Surely as a budgie fan you should be asking delia, she is a ‘chef’ you know! She’ll even show you how to boil an egg
favorite cheap meals? on 16:46 - Jan 9 with 835 viewsJ2BLUE

favorite cheap meals? on 16:43 - Jan 9 by Matterhorn

Surely as a budgie fan you should be asking delia, she is a ‘chef’ you know! She’ll even show you how to boil an egg

I have never been so insulted in my entire life.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

favorite cheap meals? on 16:46 - Jan 9 with 830 viewshoppy

favorite cheap meals? on 16:46 - Jan 9 by J2BLUE

I have never been so insulted in my entire life.

Because of a comparison with Delia regarding the best way to cook an egg?

favorite cheap meals? on 17:00 - Jan 9 with 806 viewsMatterhorn

favorite cheap meals? on 16:46 - Jan 9 by hoppy

Because of a comparison with Delia regarding the best way to cook an egg?

Sorry, I meant our resident feathered friends OP
favorite cheap meals? on 17:01 - Jan 9 with 805 viewsMatterhorn

favorite cheap meals? on 17:00 - Jan 9 by Matterhorn

Sorry, I meant our resident feathered friends OP

I’ve just had a thought, fish fingers you can get 6 in a pack
favorite cheap meals? on 17:29 - Jan 9 with 783 viewsChurchman

favorite cheap meals? on 17:01 - Jan 9 by Matterhorn

I’ve just had a thought, fish fingers you can get 6 in a pack

Fish finger sandwiches - food of the gods!

Home made beef burgers. Mince is pretty cheap. Mix up with a few breadcrumbs, a little onion, a dash of mixed herbs, burp of tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, seasoning, if you fancy spicy version a little chilli powder and cumin or even some Asda Moroccan seasoning. Make into splats, freeze those you are not going to use,

Grill or air fry or oven cook or halogen them, whop on some some good cheese - strong cheddar or blue if you have any, and a little onion, slice of firm tomato. Serve with a little lettuce leaf to satisfy the vegan green brigade on here in a bun and you will be happy. Very happy. Even better if you’ve a few chips to cheer the plate up.
[Post edited 9 Jan 20:15]
favorite cheap meals? on 18:55 - Jan 9 with 742 viewshoppy

favorite cheap meals? on 17:29 - Jan 9 by Churchman

Fish finger sandwiches - food of the gods!

Home made beef burgers. Mince is pretty cheap. Mix up with a few breadcrumbs, a little onion, a dash of mixed herbs, burp of tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, seasoning, if you fancy spicy version a little chilli powder and cumin or even some Asda Moroccan seasoning. Make into splats, freeze those you are not going to use,

Grill or air fry or oven cook or halogen them, whop on some some good cheese - strong cheddar or blue if you have any, and a little onion, slice of firm tomato. Serve with a little lettuce leaf to satisfy the vegan green brigade on here in a bun and you will be happy. Very happy. Even better if you’ve a few chips to cheer the plate up.
[Post edited 9 Jan 20:15]

What if Tom doesn't agree to that?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024