Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR 17:49 - May 15 with 2095 viewsSheffordBlue

Wolves tabling a motion to scrap VAR means it will be debated on voted on.

Suspect it will stay but with some changes to address the main concerns voiced by Wolves in the article.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5495032/2024/05/15/premier-league-var-vote/?sou

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 17:51 - May 15 with 1817 viewswkj

Curious if this would include the 3 relegated teams of the three newly promoted ones.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 17:51 - May 15 with 1809 viewsFrimleyBlue

That's actually quite interesting.

Most if not all clubs moan about it. It'll be interesting how many vote to stop it.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 17:52 - May 15 with 1805 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't think it needs to be scrapped. It just needs several big changes in how it is used.

I don't think we need to spend 2 minutes going through every goal looking for every possible reason to rule it out.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 17:52 - May 15 with 1800 viewsSWBlue22

I say yes let’s bin it.
Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 17:55 - May 15 with 1770 viewsSheffordBlue

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 17:51 - May 15 by wkj

Curious if this would include the 3 relegated teams of the three newly promoted ones.

Judging from this the change takes place at the AGM:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3537056

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 17:55 - May 15 with 1763 viewsSomethingBlue

The clubs should be lobbied hard by fans on this – it's a slim chance, but a chance nonetheless. So it's worth supporters letting them know their feelings.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 17:58 - May 15 with 1736 viewsLankHenners

Given they've just agreed on having semi-automatic offside technology (introduced part way through the season because of course it is), can only see the best outcome from this being keeping that but just getting rid for everything else. Doubt they'll hit the 14 club threshold though unfortunately.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

I’m in two minds about this…. on 17:58 - May 15 with 1727 viewsBloots

….obviously VAR is terrible in its current form, but my concern is around whether it’s worse than the perception/myth/fact that the “big clubs” get preferential treatment from refs.

Surely the answer is to improve the current process, particularly in terms of speed.

I dunno really, but I suspect it won’t get the 14 votes it needs.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Login to get fewer ads

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 17:59 - May 15 with 1708 views_clive_baker_

Scrap it
Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 18:01 - May 15 with 1666 viewsJ2BLUE

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 17:51 - May 15 by wkj

The timing of being after the play off final would suggest it's the new clubs. Pointless having the relegated clubs vote.

If we don't have to start work before this happens I would imagine we will vote to scrap it to save the installation costs.

Truly impaired.

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 18:04 - May 15 with 1621 viewsFrimleyBlue

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 18:01 - May 15 by J2BLUE

The timing of being after the play off final would suggest it's the new clubs. Pointless having the relegated clubs vote.

If we don't have to start work before this happens I would imagine we will vote to scrap it to save the installation costs.

Depends how the agm works..

Obviously vastly different level.. however when I used to go to league agms they voted on things and then after all that they then confirmed and welcomed the promoted clubs who didn't have a chance to vote as they weren't technically in that league until announced in that same agm.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 18:10 - May 15 with 1531 viewsLinners

The whole VAR thing is a bit mental - the system is EXACTLY what all the money-hungry top teams voted for. They just refused to listen to the sensible people telling them it wouldn't improve so many of the things they're worried about.

If they did remove it (they won't) then they'll vote again in a couple of years to reinstate it. It's a bizarre, collective delusion that, until now, I've found quite funny. I don't suspect I will any more.

Can you imagine that Sarmiento goal being disallowed because of a vague foul in the build up...?
Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 18:15 - May 15 with 1475 viewsSitfcB

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 17:55 - May 15 by SheffordBlue

Judging from this the change takes place at the AGM:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3537056

When that story is published next month I think that’s when it’ll sink in.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 18:15 - May 15 with 1470 viewsDarkBrandon

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 18:10 - May 15 by Linners

The whole VAR thing is a bit mental - the system is EXACTLY what all the money-hungry top teams voted for. They just refused to listen to the sensible people telling them it wouldn't improve so many of the things they're worried about.

If they did remove it (they won't) then they'll vote again in a couple of years to reinstate it. It's a bizarre, collective delusion that, until now, I've found quite funny. I don't suspect I will any more.

Can you imagine that Sarmiento goal being disallowed because of a vague foul in the build up...?

Or us not knowing whether it counted or not for minutes.
Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 18:18 - May 15 with 1438 viewsJ2BLUE

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 18:15 - May 15 by SitfcB

When that story is published next month I think that’s when it’ll sink in.

Imagine the club getting the delivery of that share document. Ashton calling McK into his office as they carefully open it and have a celebratory drink.

Truly impaired.

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 18:27 - May 15 with 1360 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 17:52 - May 15 by J2BLUE

I don't think it needs to be scrapped. It just needs several big changes in how it is used.

I don't think we need to spend 2 minutes going through every goal looking for every possible reason to rule it out.

There should always have been a time limit on VAR decisions.

The pedantry and delay is painful.

If it takes 4 mins to assess, then its not clear and obvious.

Also, it desperately needs offside to become semi automated.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 18:40 - May 15 with 1262 viewsArmaghBlue

Each team should only be able to request it once or twice during a match.
Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 19:40 - May 15 with 1033 viewsrkc123

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 17:52 - May 15 by J2BLUE

I kind of agree, but the more I think about it the more I think getting rid of it all together is kind of the only option. Every suggestion to improve it just raises more questions, for instance the idea of not giving such close offside decisions like the one in the Coventry v Man U game, there has to be a line somewhere and it has to be consistent, so even if you had a margin of error built in, that new margin of error line becomes the new borderline call that is contested.

Also if you add a time limit or something similar to how long a decision can take to make it less disruptive, then you will inevitably get situations where there was a foul or something that wasn't seen in the time, and this then becomes the new contentious issue. I honestly think it can only work if they aim to ensure close to 100% accuracy on decisions (as they do in cricket) as this would at least mean that it is offering some 'benefit', but the time it would take won't work in football. Ultimately I just don't think it works, and any slight improvement in correct decisions isn't worth the enjoyment it takes away from watching a game.
Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 19:50 - May 15 with 994 viewsMark

Please scrap it. I want to enjoy football and celebrate goals when the ball goes into the net, not minutes later after VAR analysis. VAR is making football less enjoyable.
Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 19:51 - May 15 with 979 viewsMark

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 18:10 - May 15 by Linners

Yes, exactly. Think how Coventry felt when their winner against Man Utd was disallowed in the FA Cup Semi Final.
Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 19:53 - May 15 with 968 viewsSitfcB

Phil is going to have to write another Premier League story.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 20:04 - May 15 with 905 viewsBellevue_Blue

Getting rid of VAR all together is ridiculous IMO. Once we get the automated offsides in, that will improve it and then It just needs to be implemented in a much much better way.

I for one just do not understand why they don't look to Rugby Union/ League/ American sport.

- Allow each club captain the opportunity to challenge 1 or 2 decisions a game (keep your challenge if its correct)
- Play it on the big screen and let the referee make the decision! He/ she knows why they have made the decision, if they see differently they can change it. Having someone do their job for them from a dark room a million miles away is ridiculous.
- Stop using still images, super slow. It just creates even more doubt and becomes even more subjective.
- Use the tech to quickly determine correct decisions for corners/ goal kicks

No one is currently 'not celebrating a goal' because of VAR and taking it away for that reason would IMO just create more long term issues.
Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 20:10 - May 15 with 877 viewsTrequartista

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 20:04 - May 15 by Bellevue_Blue

Getting rid of VAR all together is ridiculous IMO. Once we get the automated offsides in, that will improve it and then It just needs to be implemented in a much much better way.

I for one just do not understand why they don't look to Rugby Union/ League/ American sport.

- Allow each club captain the opportunity to challenge 1 or 2 decisions a game (keep your challenge if its correct)
- Play it on the big screen and let the referee make the decision! He/ she knows why they have made the decision, if they see differently they can change it. Having someone do their job for them from a dark room a million miles away is ridiculous.
- Stop using still images, super slow. It just creates even more doubt and becomes even more subjective.
- Use the tech to quickly determine correct decisions for corners/ goal kicks

No one is currently 'not celebrating a goal' because of VAR and taking it away for that reason would IMO just create more long term issues.

I'm not convinced the semi-automated offsides will help, they will still flag these 'half a fingernail' offsides when to all intents and purposes the striker is level.

I'm not averse to hawkeye type var on corners / goal-kicks etc, but i'd get rid for penalties.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 20:13 - May 15 with 861 viewsVaughan8

I know I'm in the minority, but I think VAR can work.

Scrap these marginal decisions, only do it for what it was brought in for, clear and obvious errors.

Most of the wrong decisions are the people using it.
Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 20:25 - May 15 with 798 viewsMJR101

Prem clubs to vote on scrapping VAR on 18:40 - May 15 by ArmaghBlue

Each team should only be able to request it once or twice during a match.

This. And this again.
[Post edited 15 May 20:28]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024