Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters 09:23 - May 24 with 3383 viewsGeoffSentence

Which probably doesn't affect many of the rest of us on here directly, at what point would you think that enough is enough, these protesters have a good point but they a plssing me off now?

FA Cup Final disruption?
Stopping the League one play-off final?
A big game involving Town, say that had halted the Exeter game 40 minutes in for instance?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 09:30 - May 24 with 2700 viewsRyorry

Maybe protesters blocking the vegan food aisles of supermarkets? ;)

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 09:35 - May 24 with 2675 viewsPinewoodblue

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 09:30 - May 24 by Ryorry

Maybe protesters blocking the vegan food aisles of supermarkets? ;)

More likely to be Vegans blocking access to meat aisles.

Seems a fact of life that if you don’t disrupt other your protest goes unnoticed/reported.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 09:36 - May 24 with 2672 viewsJ2BLUE

Double post
[Post edited 24 May 2023 9:39]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 09:37 - May 24 with 2661 viewsJ2BLUE

This won't be popular and most will say it's not true. Everyone will back each other up as usual whenever they are questioned. The honest answer for many on here though is as soon as it affects me.

Most on here know they are unlikely to be caught up in any of this. The armchair activists happy to support them for some likes on the internet but would soon turn if it impacted them in any way at all.

That's simply not true J2, some things are more important

Yep, until it affects you.
[Post edited 24 May 2023 9:40]

Truly impaired.

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 09:44 - May 24 with 2597 viewsMookamoo

There will come a point when a militant wing of Just Stop Oil realise they're having very little effect and go back to targeting fuel depots.

Fuel shortages are an issue for people with real jobs that can't just WFH.
Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 09:45 - May 24 with 2576 viewsSarge

I think we’re already at that point aren’t we?

It’s often repeated here and elsewhere that a protest isn’t effective unless it angers, inconveniences, or irritates as many people as possible. I don’t entirely support that view because I don’t believe all publicity is good publicity and it assumes that the power for change lies within ordinary people which in reality is not true. Perhaps in a true democracy it is but we don’t live in one. That said, a quiet and unobtrusive protest is unlikely to gain any traction.

So I don’t think it’s impossible to support the cause of what most protests are currently about, and those dedicated to them, because ultimately the survival of our planet and everything on it is paramount, whilst privately feeling a little vexed at having a little more personal misery heaped on our already fairly joyless current existence.
[Post edited 24 May 2023 9:47]
Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 09:48 - May 24 with 2537 viewsArnoldMoorhen

I was pretty pssed off with the Extinction Rebellion lot who set up that fog machine at Oxford.
Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 09:48 - May 24 with 2535 viewsRyorry

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 09:36 - May 24 by J2BLUE

Double post
[Post edited 24 May 2023 9:39]

Haha, and true to some extent, but not in blanket fashion.

I’d be angry/upset if I or a loved one was prevented from getting to a funeral, birth or urgently needed hospital appointment, but not at disruption at the Derby (despite wanting to have attended it for years, more for it as an experience - the fair on the Downs etc) if I thought it would influence an important decision-making process (though I’d like it to be in a way which didn’t endanger lives).

Login to get fewer ads

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 09:53 - May 24 with 2500 viewsRyorry

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 09:35 - May 24 by Pinewoodblue

More likely to be Vegans blocking access to meat aisles.

Seems a fact of life that if you don’t disrupt other your protest goes unnoticed/reported.

I was being a bit naughty in the context of another currently hot thread

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 10:00 - May 24 with 2468 viewsJ2BLUE

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 09:48 - May 24 by Ryorry

Haha, and true to some extent, but not in blanket fashion.

I’d be angry/upset if I or a loved one was prevented from getting to a funeral, birth or urgently needed hospital appointment, but not at disruption at the Derby (despite wanting to have attended it for years, more for it as an experience - the fair on the Downs etc) if I thought it would influence an important decision-making process (though I’d like it to be in a way which didn’t endanger lives).

Definitely not in blanket fashion.

It's like when they forced flights to be cancelled around Christmas time when the world had been pretty much locked down for over a year (when restrictions were eased, there was still not international travel to many countries). Some people did not make it home for Christmas to see family/friends they had not seen in ages. But that was fine as well.

It's not that I disagree that there needs to be disruption but it should be more targeted and people should have a lot more empathy.

You can't get much more targeted than the Derby for animal rights so I don't personally have a massive problem with it (even though it will definitely impact my job). However, the complete lack of empathy from people towards Rommers just because they personally do not care is disgusting. In the last few years Rommers has had lockdown when he's been at uni and now activists are targeting many of the events he enjoys most. He's going to be frustrated. TWTD bangs on about mental health (quite rightfully) and yet when there's a chance to show a bit of understanding and empathy many of the usual suspects just stick the boot in.

We do need to tackle issues. There will be disruption. There will be curbs on our freedoms (number of flights etc). There will be a rebellion from the young if people who have lived most of their lives without these restrictions and flying off on holiday multiple times per year etc don't show a bit of understanding and empathy. Arrogantly telling people it's ok and they should just shut up is not the answer.

None of the above aimed at you! Was just a convenient place to rant .

Truly impaired.

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 10:15 - May 24 with 2406 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 09:44 - May 24 by Mookamoo

There will come a point when a militant wing of Just Stop Oil realise they're having very little effect and go back to targeting fuel depots.

Fuel shortages are an issue for people with real jobs that can't just WFH.

"people with real jobs that can't just WFH"

My wife works from home running a cancer hotline for McMillan. Is that not a 'real job'?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 10:19 - May 24 with 2379 viewsJ2BLUE

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 10:15 - May 24 by Cheltenham_Blue

"people with real jobs that can't just WFH"

My wife works from home running a cancer hotline for McMillan. Is that not a 'real job'?

I work from home as well. I took it to mean people who work in retail etc rather than a criticism of people who work from home.

Truly impaired.

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 10:34 - May 24 with 2303 viewsMookamoo

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 10:19 - May 24 by J2BLUE

I work from home as well. I took it to mean people who work in retail etc rather than a criticism of people who work from home.

Thank you. I forgot there is no such thing a s tongue in cheek comment on here. My other half is literally 10 feet away from me treating someone with complex PTSD over Teams.

I mean the care workers, the trades etc, the majority of which are on zero hours who have no alternative.

I say this as someone sitting on my backside ponsing about in Photoshop.
Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 10:36 - May 24 with 2288 viewsDarth_Koont

Nothing on a sporting level. As long as the major threats to our existence (certainly billions of human lives being turned upside down along with millions of species likely extinct) are ignored then the justification increases.

I’m not advocating it at all but given how little is being done then we’ll be in freedom fighter/“terrorist” territory soon. And only have ourselves on the wrong side of history to blame.

Pronouns: He/Him

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 11:02 - May 24 with 2236 viewsGuthrum

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 10:36 - May 24 by Darth_Koont

Nothing on a sporting level. As long as the major threats to our existence (certainly billions of human lives being turned upside down along with millions of species likely extinct) are ignored then the justification increases.

I’m not advocating it at all but given how little is being done then we’ll be in freedom fighter/“terrorist” territory soon. And only have ourselves on the wrong side of history to blame.

Unfortunately, it is not possible for activists in this country to hit the most appropriate targets (with protests or anything else). Those are the major state polluters and ravagers of the environment, such as China, Brazil (tho hopefully that may improve under Lula) and some of the oil/gas producers ( https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/09/mind-boggling-methane-emissions-fr ). Their impact vastly outweighs ours.

Disrupting events in the UK forces it to the forefront of our thoughts, but has not one whit of influence in those places. There is simply no leverage, even at governmental level. People cannot simply stop buying stuff from China, as that is where everything is made nowadays. It's hard to argue with their refusal to forgo the fruits of industrialisation when the West has already enjoyed them. "Setting an example" is laudable, but won't affect the thinking of the Chinese government or mining company executives in Australia even slightly.

It's an incredibly depressing situation and likely a source of huge frustration for those trying to get some real movement on the climate situation.

I'm not suggesting we give up and do nothing, but there has to be proper direction of the anger - i.e. not against our own people, many of whom are at least conscious of the need to do better, but towards those who are the most significant part of the problem.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 11:30 - May 24 with 2156 viewsZx1988

I'd probably be mildly irked in the moment, but it's nothing that wouldn't be able to either resume after a short break in play, or be postponed and replayed at a different date/time. Nothing in the sporting world in particular is so important that it trumps the bigger issues affecting the world today.

Would I be more annoyed if I'd wagered a king's ransom on said event? Probably, but that's why I don't really bet any more than a few quid at a time - there's never a sure thing, and you're always at the whim of outside influences.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 11:49 - May 24 with 2103 viewseireblue

Seeing a monk disrupt a work event I was at helped nudge me towards changing path in life.
Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 13:07 - May 24 with 2006 viewseireblue

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 11:02 - May 24 by Guthrum

Unfortunately, it is not possible for activists in this country to hit the most appropriate targets (with protests or anything else). Those are the major state polluters and ravagers of the environment, such as China, Brazil (tho hopefully that may improve under Lula) and some of the oil/gas producers ( https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/09/mind-boggling-methane-emissions-fr ). Their impact vastly outweighs ours.

Disrupting events in the UK forces it to the forefront of our thoughts, but has not one whit of influence in those places. There is simply no leverage, even at governmental level. People cannot simply stop buying stuff from China, as that is where everything is made nowadays. It's hard to argue with their refusal to forgo the fruits of industrialisation when the West has already enjoyed them. "Setting an example" is laudable, but won't affect the thinking of the Chinese government or mining company executives in Australia even slightly.

It's an incredibly depressing situation and likely a source of huge frustration for those trying to get some real movement on the climate situation.

I'm not suggesting we give up and do nothing, but there has to be proper direction of the anger - i.e. not against our own people, many of whom are at least conscious of the need to do better, but towards those who are the most significant part of the problem.

Hmmm, I guess there are things like smoking bans and Gay marriage that were done first in places that wanted to lead. I would imagine the campaigns were done locally.

Sometimes it is nice to try and lead.
Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 15:40 - May 24 with 1899 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 09:37 - May 24 by J2BLUE

This won't be popular and most will say it's not true. Everyone will back each other up as usual whenever they are questioned. The honest answer for many on here though is as soon as it affects me.

Most on here know they are unlikely to be caught up in any of this. The armchair activists happy to support them for some likes on the internet but would soon turn if it impacted them in any way at all.

That's simply not true J2, some things are more important

Yep, until it affects you.
[Post edited 24 May 2023 9:40]

Only just seen this thread. That’s a great point and one I mentioned on the snooker thread myself and just now on the racing thread.

The people mocking me on that thread are happy to mock and laugh at my anger and disappointment. It’s hilarious that I’m in real possibility going to lose the £400 I’ve paid for the event already and even funnier that I’ve wasted two days holiday in a cost of living crisis. It’s really really funny and they’re enjoying it so well done to them.

But I guarantee if it was something they’ve spent the last few weeks excited for they would too be just as disappointed and angry. They’re hypocrites.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 16:59 - May 24 with 1830 viewsBuhrer

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 10:34 - May 24 by Mookamoo

Thank you. I forgot there is no such thing a s tongue in cheek comment on here. My other half is literally 10 feet away from me treating someone with complex PTSD over Teams.

I mean the care workers, the trades etc, the majority of which are on zero hours who have no alternative.

I say this as someone sitting on my backside ponsing about in Photoshop.

You should read your post to her then and ask ii it seems a bit thick.
Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 17:31 - May 24 with 1788 viewsMookamoo

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 16:59 - May 24 by Buhrer

Love it. Am I getting called thick on a post that misspells both letters in 'as'?

Anyway, she is fine with it, having a sense of humour.
Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 17:57 - May 24 with 1746 viewsBuhrer

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 17:31 - May 24 by Mookamoo

Love it. Am I getting called thick on a post that misspells both letters in 'as'?

Anyway, she is fine with it, having a sense of humour.

I will read it to her later x

"Fuel shortages are an issue for people with real jobs that can't just WFH"

Thickness.
Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 19:25 - May 24 with 1677 viewsJ2BLUE

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 17:57 - May 24 by Buhrer

I will read it to her later x

"Fuel shortages are an issue for people with real jobs that can't just WFH"

Thickness.

It's already been explained that you have taken it the wrong way.

Truly impaired.

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 21:34 - May 24 with 1604 viewsBuhrer

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 19:25 - May 24 by J2BLUE

It's already been explained that you have taken it the wrong way.

Perhaps a subtler touch was needed to convey that. You say tongue in cheek, I say foot in mouth.
Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 21:48 - May 24 with 1586 viewsjaykay

Given Rommers vexation at the Derby protesters on 15:40 - May 24 by The_Romford_Blue

Only just seen this thread. That’s a great point and one I mentioned on the snooker thread myself and just now on the racing thread.

The people mocking me on that thread are happy to mock and laugh at my anger and disappointment. It’s hilarious that I’m in real possibility going to lose the £400 I’ve paid for the event already and even funnier that I’ve wasted two days holiday in a cost of living crisis. It’s really really funny and they’re enjoying it so well done to them.

But I guarantee if it was something they’ve spent the last few weeks excited for they would too be just as disappointed and angry. They’re hypocrites.

no axe to grind here but didn't you go mmmnnn i'm having a k.f.c on a thread about vegans.
so you were happy to mock

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024