Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored 09:42 - Oct 6 with 3272 viewsBluebacker

I was interested in how many goals we have scored where Hladky has played a part in the build up by making a key pass or passing out when under pressure from the opposition.

Stoke (2nd goal)
Hladky pressed by opposition player, 6 passes later: goal.

Sheffield Wednesday
Hladky pressed by opposition player, 4 passes later: goal.

Blackburn (2nd goal)
Wolfie comes to take the ball off of Hladky but Hladky sees Clarke in space and plays a quick pass to him instead, 3 passes later: goal.

Wolves (1st goal)
Hladky rushes high up the pitch to clear a ball to Harness, 4 passes later: goal.

Hull (2nd goal)
Hladky pressed by 2 opposition players, 6 passes later: goal.

Hull (3rd goal)
Hladky on a freekick, sees Hirst, 2 passes later: goal.

That is at least 6 occasions I can think of where he has made a key pass or pass under pressure which has then resulted in us scoring a goal a few seconds later. In all the league games and one cup game Hladky has played in so far, we have scored 24 goals. That means that he has had a key involvement in 1/4 of our goals. And that doesn't even include any other goals we have scored by playing out from the back (such as the 20 passes leading to Taylor's goal against Wolves, of which Hladky had 2).

Anyway, I just found that interesting.
Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 09:52 - Oct 6 with 2851 viewstextbackup

Brilliant post. And thanks for putting together.

Walton doesn’t do what Hladky can, but then Hladky may not be able to pull off some of the saves Walton does.

All in all, we are blessed to have such quality in that position. (When you add Slicker too, who I also rate)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 10:02 - Oct 6 with 2814 viewsSomethingBlue

He's arguably playing better with the ball than any goalkeeper in the country at the moment and looks super, super confident. Everyone knows Walton is our No1 and returns eventually but it's incredibly hard to see how Hladky gets phased out at the moment.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 10:06 - Oct 6 with 2798 viewsportmanking

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 10:02 - Oct 6 by SomethingBlue

He's arguably playing better with the ball than any goalkeeper in the country at the moment and looks super, super confident. Everyone knows Walton is our No1 and returns eventually but it's incredibly hard to see how Hladky gets phased out at the moment.

IS Walton our #1 now? You'd have to think our cohesion and ball retention at the back would diminish our game if Hladky drops out. I'm not saying Walton's poor with the ball at his feet, but Hladky is definitely a step up.
Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 10:08 - Oct 6 with 2775 viewsSitfcB

Yeah but GET RID OF IT.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 10:12 - Oct 6 with 2750 viewsSomethingBlue

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 10:06 - Oct 6 by portmanking

IS Walton our #1 now? You'd have to think our cohesion and ball retention at the back would diminish our game if Hladky drops out. I'm not saying Walton's poor with the ball at his feet, but Hladky is definitely a step up.

I still suspect he's back in sooner rather than later, to be honest, but I agree Hladky is in such a good rhythm that it's hard to see exactly what the road there is.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 10:24 - Oct 6 with 2714 viewsle2blue

I was chatting last week with a guy who is a coach at Leicester City about our system and playing style, what they're doing at City, and the impact of Enzo. He was talking about the inverted full-backs (they play with Pereira in midfield) and other new things that Pep has introduced and influenced coaches on. We got onto goalkeepers and he was saying that the next thing they're working on with Enzo is the keeper playing a more progressive role in the attacking shape, with effectively the goalkeeper stepping even further up the pitch and acting as another passing option allowing a defender to move forward and break lines...in particular against teams who sit in a low block. High risk, but makes sense to utilise someone who otherwise could be not highly utilised.

Role forward to Tuesday night and there were points where Hladky was close to Wolf and part of their passing shape. He definitely is developing the confidence and has the ability to do something like that, look forward to churchman's combusting when he is running off Morsy to play in Chappers!
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 10:26]
Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 10:38 - Oct 6 with 2633 viewsGuthrum

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 10:06 - Oct 6 by portmanking

Like a number of positions across the pitch, I'm not sure we have a designated first choice and reserves, so much as two or three players to choose from depending upon circumstances and opponents.

That having been said, benching Hladky in the form he now has would be bold indeed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 10:44 - Oct 6 with 2619 viewsGlasgowBlue

Good to see that I am no longer in the minority view. Hladky is so important to how we play at the moment.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 11:00 - Oct 6 with 2541 viewsHighgateBlue

Wow - great work, that's really helpful. I think we all knew that this approach has yielded some success, but it was hard to put an order of magnitude on it.

I would've guessed that you may be able to compile a list of three or four such goals, which would be a great return in 10 games, but 6 is amazing. That's about a quarter of our goals. Hard to know how many goals kicking it long consistently would yield, but surely not this many.

Couple that with the fact that if you kick long, you have a high risk of giving the ball away, and that will lead to a certain number of goals over the course of a season.

My only observation would be that the pass to Hirst (though excellent, along with Hirst's subsequent work) was more of a long ball than a "playing it out" type approach. Clearly you never claimed to the contrary - you're making a point about Hladky rather than solely playing it out when under pressure.

One thing we can say categorically is that our approach IS worth the inevitable gaffe where the keeper gets robbed and the opposition score. You wouldn't want it happening with any frequency, but we've not experienced it at all yet, which is another mark of how well Hladky and our defenders play this system.
Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 11:02 - Oct 6 with 2539 viewstractorboy1978

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 10:24 - Oct 6 by le2blue

I was chatting last week with a guy who is a coach at Leicester City about our system and playing style, what they're doing at City, and the impact of Enzo. He was talking about the inverted full-backs (they play with Pereira in midfield) and other new things that Pep has introduced and influenced coaches on. We got onto goalkeepers and he was saying that the next thing they're working on with Enzo is the keeper playing a more progressive role in the attacking shape, with effectively the goalkeeper stepping even further up the pitch and acting as another passing option allowing a defender to move forward and break lines...in particular against teams who sit in a low block. High risk, but makes sense to utilise someone who otherwise could be not highly utilised.

Role forward to Tuesday night and there were points where Hladky was close to Wolf and part of their passing shape. He definitely is developing the confidence and has the ability to do something like that, look forward to churchman's combusting when he is running off Morsy to play in Chappers!

Anyone that went to that cup game vs Bristol Rovers will tell you that Slicker was playing what at times seemed a ridiculous position! He was so high up the pitch, particularly when we were in their half in possession. It makes total sense and is obviously how he has been coached at City.
Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 11:04 - Oct 6 with 2528 viewsitfcjoe

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 10:44 - Oct 6 by GlasgowBlue

Good to see that I am no longer in the minority view. Hladky is so important to how we play at the moment.

I feel like VH has finally just about won me over with regards to him vs Walton

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 11:07 - Oct 6 with 2510 viewsportmanking

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 11:04 - Oct 6 by itfcjoe

His shot-stopping has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of months.

His shots-to-saves ratio was so poor prior to that. I guess that's what rhythm and confidence does for you.
Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 11:15 - Oct 6 with 2463 viewsRobTheMonk

I used to call him a hula hoop as shots would go straight through him.

He's been exceptional this season minus the Leeds goal that he spilled that I don't think was quite as straightforward as some made out.

He's earned the right to be current number one.
Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 11:21 - Oct 6 with 2444 viewsGlasgowBlue

He will still be defined by his first 5 games for us in 2021. The slightest mistake will be pounced and he won't be given the same benefit of doubt that Walton received during our mid season slump last year.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 11:27 - Oct 6 with 2408 viewsMuncher

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 10:44 - Oct 6 by GlasgowBlue

I think he is very close to being seen as the de facto number 1 for that reason.
Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 11:31 - Oct 6 with 2376 viewsDarkHorse

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 10:02 - Oct 6 by SomethingBlue

Big fan of Vaz now, feels like his place to lose, but also kinda expect Walton to come back in soon.

Wonder if KM might rotate and use CW when we need more of a presence/control of the box against teams that are likely to have much more of the ball and/or are more physical/bigger? His quick long throw-outs are also useful for the counter-attack.
Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 11:40 - Oct 6 with 2275 viewsBasuco

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 10:24 - Oct 6 by le2blue

VH is so fast over 5 metres Town can play a very high defensive line, he often stands so high and acts like an old fashioned sweeper. He has developed into a top keeper, which shouldn't be a surprise to us as every outfield player has improved immensely under the current coaching set-up!
Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 11:57 - Oct 6 with 2215 viewsStewart27

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 11:21 - Oct 6 by GlasgowBlue

He will still be defined by his first 5 games for us in 2021. The slightest mistake will be pounced and he won't be given the same benefit of doubt that Walton received during our mid season slump last year.

I honestly don’t think he is.

Walton isn’t defined by the first 5 goals he conceded against Bolton on his debut. As he shouldn’t be.
Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 11:58 - Oct 6 with 2208 viewsStewart27

Great insight. Thanks.

Anybody who thinks Hladky should just boot it shouldn’t be watching Ipswich any more.

I choose to hold the stranger’s hand next to me when he does it.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 11:59]
Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 12:00 - Oct 6 with 2187 viewsFrimleyBlue

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 11:58 - Oct 6 by Stewart27

Great insight. Thanks.

Anybody who thinks Hladky should just boot it shouldn’t be watching Ipswich any more.

I choose to hold the stranger’s hand next to me when he does it.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 11:59]

I think it's just a natural reaction.

We've all watched it enough now to know the benefits over risks. Yet despite that you still can't help sometimes letting out a little get rid of it. You know that completely goes against what we do. But that little bit of fear just pops out.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 12:10 - Oct 6 with 2152 viewsNutkins_Return

Doesn't take much to swing it on keepers though. Couple of clangers and pendulum shifts.

Hladky on the ball is great. Walton was doing a decent job with ball at feet as well just not as good. Long term he's just a better all round keeper though.

Hladky has to keep his place for now. He's been great.

Good problem to have.
Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 12:14 - Oct 6 with 2140 viewsle2blue

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 11:02 - Oct 6 by tractorboy1978

Anyone that went to that cup game vs Bristol Rovers will tell you that Slicker was playing what at times seemed a ridiculous position! He was so high up the pitch, particularly when we were in their half in possession. It makes total sense and is obviously how he has been coached at City.

Yes, he was, a great illustration of the point I guess and illustrative of what we can expect next.

I should add that the general consensus at Leicester is that it's them and us for the title with the games against us being the deciders, they're all really looking forward to the Boxing day match, it will be the highest technical game and match-up of the season - akin to Liverpool vs City. Should be cracking games, I'll take them winning the league with us gloriously riding their coattails.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 12:15]
Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 12:23 - Oct 6 with 2098 viewsVegtablue

Hladky is the league's #1 after 10 games so it would be incredible if we have 1st and 2nd on our books.

He's 2nd for save percentage and 1st by a mile for expected goals saved (+5.5 overall now, with 2nd on +2 and 18 goalkeepers on negative scores). Compare this to Walton, who had the 10th best save percentage in L1 in 2021/22 and the 11th best save percentage in L1 in 2022/23.. I think it's very difficult to conclude this version of Hladky isn't a step up in the saves department also.
Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 12:40 - Oct 6 with 2026 viewsitfcjoe

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 11:21 - Oct 6 by GlasgowBlue

I personally don't think that is the case, more that his body of work is nothing like Walton's - he did well at St Mirren and then in League 2 in a Behind Closed Doors season.

It's a very tough decision for McKenna, but it is getting easier now as just couldn't drop him - I don't think he'll get as much rope as Walton had last season, but his Goals Prevented ratio is fantastic plus his footballing ability is getting better and better

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Hladky's involvement in the goals we have scored on 12:46 - Oct 6 with 1990 viewsvilanovablue

I can see Walton playing the cup as a way to reintroduce him or at least make him feel more included.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024