Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... 10:48 - Jan 4 with 1696 viewsprozach

Hi all - happy new year.

Here are my ITFC thoughts for this week. Thoughts appreciated.

I wasn't planning on going to QPR on Monday - my brother and I had been to the darts the night before and were off to the final that night, but we took the tube and got a ticket. Thought it was a good decision after seeing the starting lineup.

Such a frustrating day. I hate being negative - but that Douglas substitution was baffling. There was no way we should have been playing for a point when we were on top away from home against a pretty poor side. If Bru was knackered, put on Dozzell, he was great against Bristol City. Or bring Freddie on and put Grant Ward in midfield.

Hey ho. COYB

http://www.dissexpress.co.uk/sport/football/ipswich-town-fan-zach-ward-says-i-th

Blog: [Blog] Striking Issues

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 10:52 - Jan 4 with 1675 viewsSteve_M

Oh good, I thought we could took about something else today.

FWIW, I thought we were still on top after the substitutions, QPR only had the one chance after them and that was down to Webster's mistake. I take more from the fact that it was two good - and entertaining - performances in a row.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 10:55 - Jan 4 with 1654 viewsprozach

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 10:52 - Jan 4 by Steve_M

Oh good, I thought we could took about something else today.

FWIW, I thought we were still on top after the substitutions, QPR only had the one chance after them and that was down to Webster's mistake. I take more from the fact that it was two good - and entertaining - performances in a row.

It was a mistake from Webster, granted. But how many times did Douglas touch the ball after he came on? Bru and Skuse I thought did pretty well, there was some nice interplay.

I just had the feeling once Douglas went on, if we did go a goal behind, we wouldn't get back into the game.

I enjoyed Bristol City and QPR was good for the majority of the game. I couldn't squeeze it in, but I thought Kenlock was outstanding in both games.

Thanks for reading

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:08 - Jan 4 with 1606 viewsNo9

Don't worry too much many of MM's substitutions, ever since he has been with Town, have been baffling to say the least
ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:10 - Jan 4 with 1591 viewsprozach

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:08 - Jan 4 by No9

Don't worry too much many of MM's substitutions, ever since he has been with Town, have been baffling to say the least

I've backed Mick by and large - but it was all the more annoying that just a few days ago when he brought on Dozzell at 1-1 at home, the game was won. I just don't see what Douglas brings to the team at all.

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:14 - Jan 4 with 1569 viewsPhilTWTD

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 10:55 - Jan 4 by prozach

It was a mistake from Webster, granted. But how many times did Douglas touch the ball after he came on? Bru and Skuse I thought did pretty well, there was some nice interplay.

I just had the feeling once Douglas went on, if we did go a goal behind, we wouldn't get back into the game.

I enjoyed Bristol City and QPR was good for the majority of the game. I couldn't squeeze it in, but I thought Kenlock was outstanding in both games.

Thanks for reading

I thought we had two of our better chances after the substitutions, Lawrence and McGoldrick both shot over when they ought to have done better. I did think QPR had more of the ball in that spell - but that shouldn't have been a surprise as they home team looking to win it - but didn't really look dangerous and we threatened on the break.

From that perspective we might have benefited from Sears being brought on, which MM said was something he was considering had Kenlock not suffered a knock and Bru been tiring (which wasn't really a surprise, it was his second start in a few days having not started since October).

I'm not sure the subs had anything like the impact that has been suggested. But for Webster's error it would have been a draw and had we taken our chances we would have won, which we should have done.

Overall though, result aside, there were a lot of positives to be taken from the performance, I thought.
ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:23 - Jan 4 with 1517 viewsprozach

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:14 - Jan 4 by PhilTWTD

I thought we had two of our better chances after the substitutions, Lawrence and McGoldrick both shot over when they ought to have done better. I did think QPR had more of the ball in that spell - but that shouldn't have been a surprise as they home team looking to win it - but didn't really look dangerous and we threatened on the break.

From that perspective we might have benefited from Sears being brought on, which MM said was something he was considering had Kenlock not suffered a knock and Bru been tiring (which wasn't really a surprise, it was his second start in a few days having not started since October).

I'm not sure the subs had anything like the impact that has been suggested. But for Webster's error it would have been a draw and had we taken our chances we would have won, which we should have done.

Overall though, result aside, there were a lot of positives to be taken from the performance, I thought.

Cheers for reading Phil.

There are certainly more positives to take I think. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big MM fan and, by and large trust his judgement. But just days before at 1-1, he sticks Dozzell on, and we go on to win the game. He made a huge impact. I think when we were in the ascendancy at QPR, it sent out the wrong message. We had better options with better players on the bench, if the intention was to win it. The impression I got is that we have got a point - let's make sure we don't lose it.

While you are right about threatening on the break, but before that we had been threatening and dominating possession - something we rarely do these days.

Douglas barely touched the ball 20 minutes... He is too much of a passenger for my liking.
If we are going to lose, let's go down swinging. I think fans would accept that, to a degree.

I absolutely hate being negative. But it was the first time that I really, really disagreed with a MM change.

Some around me were annoyed with Knudsen sub but that made sense - Kenlock had been hobbling and had an ice pack on his leg when he came to clap the away fans

Many thanks for reading Phil and for feedback!

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:26 - Jan 4 with 1493 viewsFtnfwest

That's just it - the substitution was the frustrating thing, not Douglas himself so no point people having a go at him (not sure by and large on here they have, but certainly there was an element at the game that singled him out)
ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:27 - Jan 4 with 1485 viewsprozach

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:26 - Jan 4 by Ftnfwest

That's just it - the substitution was the frustrating thing, not Douglas himself so no point people having a go at him (not sure by and large on here they have, but certainly there was an element at the game that singled him out)

Exactly. He doesn't pick himself, and he tries his hardest I think. I think it was frustration at the change.

Login to get fewer ads

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:29 - Jan 4 with 1465 viewsNo9

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:14 - Jan 4 by PhilTWTD

Firstly I didn't go. Seeing how bad QPR were at PR & reading some reports on there other games I exected Town to win comfortably.
ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:29 - Jan 4 with 1468 viewsPhilTWTD

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:23 - Jan 4 by prozach

Cheers for reading Phil.

There are certainly more positives to take I think. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big MM fan and, by and large trust his judgement. But just days before at 1-1, he sticks Dozzell on, and we go on to win the game. He made a huge impact. I think when we were in the ascendancy at QPR, it sent out the wrong message. We had better options with better players on the bench, if the intention was to win it. The impression I got is that we have got a point - let's make sure we don't lose it.

While you are right about threatening on the break, but before that we had been threatening and dominating possession - something we rarely do these days.

Douglas barely touched the ball 20 minutes... He is too much of a passenger for my liking.
If we are going to lose, let's go down swinging. I think fans would accept that, to a degree.

I absolutely hate being negative. But it was the first time that I really, really disagreed with a MM change.

Some around me were annoyed with Knudsen sub but that made sense - Kenlock had been hobbling and had an ice pack on his leg when he came to clap the away fans

Many thanks for reading Phil and for feedback!

Re the dominating possession thing, it is something we've started to do more frequently lately, aside from the Fulham game when we were taught a bit of a lesson on that front. We've definitely been less hoofy of late.

I can see the argument re Dozzell, particularly after the Bristol City game. But as well as he did in that match there have been more where he hasn't really made an impression, where he's found it hard to get on the ball.

I suspect the thinking was that QPR would look to put the pressure on more in the latter stages and more combative midfielder was a safer option. I'm not sure many managers would have done things much differently in those circumstances, they do tend to be more conservative than the rest of us.
ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:33 - Jan 4 with 1433 viewsprozach

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:29 - Jan 4 by PhilTWTD

Re the dominating possession thing, it is something we've started to do more frequently lately, aside from the Fulham game when we were taught a bit of a lesson on that front. We've definitely been less hoofy of late.

I can see the argument re Dozzell, particularly after the Bristol City game. But as well as he did in that match there have been more where he hasn't really made an impression, where he's found it hard to get on the ball.

I suspect the thinking was that QPR would look to put the pressure on more in the latter stages and more combative midfielder was a safer option. I'm not sure many managers would have done things much differently in those circumstances, they do tend to be more conservative than the rest of us.

I agree with you there Phil. But, is Douglas a good enough combative midfielder for a mid table Championship side, striding for more? I'm not sure he would get into any other team - maybe I'm being cynical .

Less hoofy of late - I like it!

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:34 - Jan 4 with 1421 viewsprozach

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:29 - Jan 4 by No9

Firstly I didn't go. Seeing how bad QPR were at PR & reading some reports on there other games I exected Town to win comfortably.

QPR were pretty poor - didn't create a lot. Both goals were our own doing

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:36 - Jan 4 with 1404 viewsPhilTWTD

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:33 - Jan 4 by prozach

I agree with you there Phil. But, is Douglas a good enough combative midfielder for a mid table Championship side, striding for more? I'm not sure he would get into any other team - maybe I'm being cynical .

Less hoofy of late - I like it!

I certainly think Hyam would be ahead of Douglas in the pecking order if he was fit, but he was the option of that type available on Monday. Was quite pleased with 'less hoofy', I have to admit.
ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 11:39 - Jan 4 with 1374 viewsLankHenners

More than anything the Douglas substitution exposes our lack of strength in depth in that area - not a great situation to be in when the choice is between a very young, inexperienced player who could just as easily go missing as he could pull off something excellent, and an aging combative player who's well past his peak who doesn't really affect the game.

I'd have gone for Dozzell because he's more likely to give us something extra going forwards but we do need to strengthen in that area.

Also shows our lack of consistency - we just cannot seem to hold down any sort of positive form, although it does appear the performance was very good, as it was against Bristol.

Edit - we have injuries that don't help of course but Williams on loan isn't a long term solution and Hyam, for all his effort, isn't the player to turn a draw into a win.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2017 11:40]

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 12:10 - Jan 4 with 1273 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

Completely agree, the problem now is that Douglas has polarised views and no matter in what circumstances he is played it's seen negatively notwithstanding his impact. He actually sent a sublime ball cross field for Ward which was met with ironic applause by those around me, we could just have easily won it after he came on had the forwards taken their chances as lost it and the loss was not down to him per se.
ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 12:14 - Jan 4 with 1250 viewsprozach

ITFC Column - I thought a corner had been turned-now most ardent Mick backers... on 12:10 - Jan 4 by blueblueburleymcgrew

Completely agree, the problem now is that Douglas has polarised views and no matter in what circumstances he is played it's seen negatively notwithstanding his impact. He actually sent a sublime ball cross field for Ward which was met with ironic applause by those around me, we could just have easily won it after he came on had the forwards taken their chances as lost it and the loss was not down to him per se.

The loss certainly shouldn't be pinned on Douglas. I just think in that moment, the way the game was going, it was the wrong sub to make.

I hate ironic applause and booing, and I feel somewhat sorry for Douglas - he doesn't pick himself. I just don't think he's good enough.

I try and be fair - Douglas had little, if any, impact on the game from my own viewpoint. I don't think he's been as bad as some have made out this season, in all honesty.

Overall though, Bristol and QPR were two good performances. Just a shame we couldn't string back to back wins together.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024