Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. 09:40 - Jan 23 with 1487 viewsmonytowbray

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sky-news-presenter-steve-dixon-dr

Oh wait, this was aired in 2017. Jesus.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 09:47 - Jan 23 with 1430 viewsBarneycurley

Women - know your limits

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 09:47 - Jan 23 with 1422 viewsmonytowbray

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 09:47 - Jan 23 by Barneycurley

Women - know your limits

I know nothing of the golden standard...

TWTD never forgets…

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 09:56 - Jan 23 with 1390 viewsDarth_Koont

To be fair to Sky, they were probably realizing that if the 40% figure of men who believe women are partially or totally to blame for "provoking" sexual assault came from the general population then it'd be a majority of their viewers.

They might as well follow their stablemate and go "full Fox" right now.

Pronouns: He/Him

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 10:04 - Jan 23 with 1367 viewsSwansea_Blue

2 sides to this imo.

1. Absolutely you can't blame women (or men) for being attacked - the fault lies with the scum perpetrator. So, yep, 1950s indeed and telling women to cover up is not a solution.

2. But, if we were all to be a little bit more aware of how our actions potentially put us in situations we can't control, that has to be a good thing. Because ultimately it seems there are plenty of a-holes around who will take advantage. In this regard, I'd argue keeping an eye on how much you drink and/or having others around you who can is a good thing. Women (or men) should be able to wear whatever length skirt they want. It's the booze that makes you vulnerable.

It's a bit like driving - sometimes you can't avoid a dangerous situation through no fault of your own, but anticipation will go along way to keeping you safe.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2017 10:05]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 10:06 - Jan 23 with 1353 viewsmonytowbray

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 10:04 - Jan 23 by Swansea_Blue

2 sides to this imo.

1. Absolutely you can't blame women (or men) for being attacked - the fault lies with the scum perpetrator. So, yep, 1950s indeed and telling women to cover up is not a solution.

2. But, if we were all to be a little bit more aware of how our actions potentially put us in situations we can't control, that has to be a good thing. Because ultimately it seems there are plenty of a-holes around who will take advantage. In this regard, I'd argue keeping an eye on how much you drink and/or having others around you who can is a good thing. Women (or men) should be able to wear whatever length skirt they want. It's the booze that makes you vulnerable.

It's a bit like driving - sometimes you can't avoid a dangerous situation through no fault of your own, but anticipation will go along way to keeping you safe.

I agree, however there is very little one can to to prepare for sexual assault. It's also far too easy to drink too much.

TWTD never forgets…

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 10:12 - Jan 23 with 1312 viewsGlasgowBlue

It looked like a group of people discussing a recent survey and putting over opinion and counter opinion.

It used to be called debating in my day. Now this sort of behaviour requires the more delicate in society to run for a safe space.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 10:19 - Jan 23 with 1290 viewsGlasgowBlue

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 10:04 - Jan 23 by Swansea_Blue

2 sides to this imo.

Agree 100% with point 1. The blame lies firmly and squarely with the perpetrator. There is no excuse for a man to lose control and commit a vile sexual assault on a woman.

If a woman is wearing a short skirt and boob tube or a nuns habit, the fault lies with the perpetrator.

That said, and I am the father of 3 daughters, two of whom are 14 and starting to go out to town with friends I would always advise them that certain items of clothing will make them more attractive to their male friends. So I think when they reach 16+ they have to understand that although they would be blameless if they were attacked a mix of alcohol and "sexy" clothing could play a part in that assault.

Should woman be allowed to wear whatever they want? Absolutely.

Should they be aware that what they wear may bring unwanted attention form scum bag blokes.? Of course.

Should they factor this in if they have to walk home late at night alone? Obviously.

Iron Lion Zion

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 10:20 - Jan 23 with 1295 viewsmonytowbray

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 10:12 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

It looked like a group of people discussing a recent survey and putting over opinion and counter opinion.

It used to be called debating in my day. Now this sort of behaviour requires the more delicate in society to run for a safe space.

You think blaming women for being sexually assaulted is "debating"? You're either being provocative for the sake of a row or you've just gone down in my estimates Glassers.

You have a daughter, don't you? Would you be okay if she was raped on a night out and the police said "Well, it was her own fault, she'd had a drink and she was wearing a dress"? Because that's the reality of it.

EDIT: Sorry, you have three daughters.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2017 10:21]

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 10:28 - Jan 23 with 1252 viewsGlasgowBlue

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 10:20 - Jan 23 by monytowbray

You think blaming women for being sexually assaulted is "debating"? You're either being provocative for the sake of a row or you've just gone down in my estimates Glassers.

You have a daughter, don't you? Would you be okay if she was raped on a night out and the police said "Well, it was her own fault, she'd had a drink and she was wearing a dress"? Because that's the reality of it.

EDIT: Sorry, you have three daughters.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2017 10:21]

I've made my view on the subject of responsibility on another post in this thread.

But yes, I think putting different sides to an argument, and more importantly sides that you both agree with and disagree with, is healthy and necessary for debate.

Iron Lion Zion

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 13:18 - Jan 23 with 1085 viewsmonytowbray

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 10:28 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

I've made my view on the subject of responsibility on another post in this thread.

But yes, I think putting different sides to an argument, and more importantly sides that you both agree with and disagree with, is healthy and necessary for debate.

It is, but there's a way to word things and make a point. The bloke is a news reporter, live on TV, with no grasp of reality of the situation in general or as a female.

Next week they'll be inviting Bloo on to discuss the housing market...

TWTD never forgets…

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 13:43 - Jan 23 with 1009 viewsVic

2 sides to this imo.

Totally agree. The man is 100% responsible in this situation.

However, to ignore the fact that some men are governed more by their loins than their morals, especially when they've had a bit to drink is naive. It's a sad fact of life that people don't behave in the way they should and we have to factor that into our own actions and decisions.

The debate can be widened out to almost anything. Why do we lock our houses or cars when we go out? Because not everyone will respect our property, etc. They have no right to steal but they will given half a chance.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 13:55 - Jan 23 with 965 viewsDarth_Koont

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 13:43 - Jan 23 by Vic

Totally agree. The man is 100% responsible in this situation.

However, to ignore the fact that some men are governed more by their loins than their morals, especially when they've had a bit to drink is naive. It's a sad fact of life that people don't behave in the way they should and we have to factor that into our own actions and decisions.

The debate can be widened out to almost anything. Why do we lock our houses or cars when we go out? Because not everyone will respect our property, etc. They have no right to steal but they will given half a chance.

Agreed. I think the American woman is perfectly correct to talk about certain "values" in society towards women that need changing but of course there is a risk for women when those beliefs still exist.

The SKY presenter should never have brought up those beliefs as some sort of alternative viewpoint. Talk about risk, yes but he should never have given credence to the idea of provocation. That should have been knocked on the head straightaway.

Pronouns: He/Him

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 13:58 - Jan 23 with 950 viewshype313

This was spot on.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/maajid-nawaz/maajid-stephen-dixons-comment

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 15:19 - Jan 23 with 808 viewsVic

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 13:58 - Jan 23 by hype313

This was spot on.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/maajid-nawaz/maajid-stephen-dixons-comment

True. But no one is legitimising it are they? It's about risk management because sadly some men won't control,themselves. it's not the woman's fault, it's the blokes fault, but to minimise the risk when you may be in a situation with men like that (drink, dark, alone, late, etc) is surely sensible and wise.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Some incredible 1950s Sky News archive footage found in the vaults. on 17:27 - Jan 23 with 709 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Amazing that people still read the Independent and take it seriously.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024