Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Theresa May and her snap election... 14:38 - Apr 25 with 5294 viewsBLUEBEAT

Why oh why did Theresa May call a snap election?

Here's a few reasons.... what could these names possibly all have in common?

Alex Chalk, Cheltenham
Amanda Milling, Cannock Chance
Amber Rudd, Hastings and Rye
Anna Soubry, Broxtoe
Brandon Lewis, Great Yarmouth
Byton Davies, Gower
Charlie Elphicke, Dover and Deal
Chris Philp, Croydon South
Christopher Pincher, Tamworth
Craig Mackinlay, South Thanet
Craig Whittaker, Calder Valley
Craig Williams, Cardiff North
David Mundel, Dumfriesshire Clydesdale & Tweeddale
David Nuttall, Bury North
Derek Thomas, St Ives
George Eustace, Camborne & Redruth
Glyn Davis, Montgomeryshire
Graham Evans, Weaver Vale
Jake Berry, Rossendale & Darwen
James Berry, Kingston and Surbiton
James Heappey, Wells
John Stevenson, Carlisle
Carl McCartney, Lincoln
Kevin Foster, Torbay
Luke Hall, Thornbury & Yate
Maggie Throup, Erewash
Marcus Fysh, Yeovil
Marcus Jones, Nuneyon
Maria Caulfield, Lewis
Mark Spencer, Sherwood
Mary Robinson, Cheadle
Michael Ellis, Northampton North
Michelle Donelan, Chippenham
Mike Wood, Dudley South
Neil Charmichael, Stroud
Nigel Mills, Amber Valley
Oliver Colville, Plymouth, Sutton & Devenport
Paul Scully, Sutton, Cheam & Worester Park
Roger Gale, North Thanet
Scot Man, North Cornwall
Simon Kirby, Brighton Kemptown
Stuart Andrew, Pudsey, Horsforth & Aireborough
Tania Mathias, Twickenham
William Wragg, Hazel Grove.

Poll: W or W

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:01 - Apr 26 with 956 viewsMJallday

Theresa May and her snap election... on 07:56 - Apr 26 by Herbivore

The reason it's being called now is rank opportunism, let's not pretend otherwise. She's seen the massive lead in the polls and got all giddy at the prospect of having a large majority. So giddy in fact that she's done a complete u-turn on her position on holding an early election. It's cynical bullsh!t and even as a Tory supporter I'd hope you'd see that and have the decency to acknowledge it. All of the rhetoric about strengthening her hand and having strong, stable leadership all sounds a bit Nuremberg to me as well to be honest. I look at that dead behind the eyes cow and the thought of her having more power to carry out the wishes of her black and shrivelled heart quite frankly terrifies me.

Have you met her? I have. Shes very nice.

I also work very closely with her Former colleagues. There are some government ministers they hate with a passion, but her - everyone has nothing but nice things to say. She was good at her job as HS, she was kind, fair , firm, but approachable. They were gutted when she left.

Not all politicians are c***ts . Some of them have morals.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:04 - Apr 26 with 947 viewsGlasgowBlue

Theresa May and her snap election... on 07:56 - Apr 26 by Herbivore

The reason it's being called now is rank opportunism, let's not pretend otherwise. She's seen the massive lead in the polls and got all giddy at the prospect of having a large majority. So giddy in fact that she's done a complete u-turn on her position on holding an early election. It's cynical bullsh!t and even as a Tory supporter I'd hope you'd see that and have the decency to acknowledge it. All of the rhetoric about strengthening her hand and having strong, stable leadership all sounds a bit Nuremberg to me as well to be honest. I look at that dead behind the eyes cow and the thought of her having more power to carry out the wishes of her black and shrivelled heart quite frankly terrifies me.

Yeah. Think I acknowledged that the other day. Prime ministers only ever call an election for selfish reasons. Rarely for the good of the country. Only when they know they can win

Callaghan should have done it in 78 and Brown should have done it in 2007. Both would have won. Both had disasters a year later. Callaghan with the winter of discontent. Brown with the recession.

Which leads me to think they have seen some private economic forecasts. I don't think good polling has anything to do with it. She been high in th polls for some time and we could have had another three years of Corbyn as opposition leader. It was generally accepted that 2020 was in the bag.

There was no logical reason to go now.

What I don't get is people like you, who I would imagine want to replace the Tory government, moaning about the fact she's called an election.

It's unprecedented that people who want to get rid of a government are moaning that they have been given an opportunity to do so.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2017 8:29]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:05 - Apr 26 with 943 viewsHerbivore

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:01 - Apr 26 by MJallday

I also work very closely with her Former colleagues. There are some government ministers they hate with a passion, but her - everyone has nothing but nice things to say. She was good at her job as HS, she was kind, fair , firm, but approachable. They were gutted when she left.

Kind and fair? Hang on a second, I just need to fire up the roflcopter.

She's displayed very little in the way of principle since becoming PM and not many would agree with your assessment of her as a Home Secretary.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:06 - Apr 26 with 939 viewsGlasgowBlue

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:01 - Apr 26 by MJallday

I think the Hillsborough campaign group saybtge same. Lagos could confirm this.

Iron Lion Zion

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:25 - Apr 26 with 922 viewsWeWereZombies

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:04 - Apr 26 by GlasgowBlue

Yeah. Think I acknowledged that the other day. Prime ministers only ever call an election for selfish reasons. Rarely for the good of the country. Only when they know they can win

Callaghan should have done it in 78 and Brown should have done it in 2007. Both would have won. Both had disasters a year later. Callaghan with the winter of discontent. Brown with the recession.

Which leads me to think they have seen some private economic forecasts. I don't think good polling has anything to do with it. She been high in th polls for some time and we could have had another three years of Corbyn as opposition leader. It was generally accepted that 2020 was in the bag.

There was no logical reason to go now.

What I don't get is people like you, who I would imagine want to replace the Tory government, moaning about the fact she's called an election.

It's unprecedented that people who want to get rid of a government are moaning that they have been given an opportunity to do so.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2017 8:29]

Would have liked to have seen Tony Blair's face if Brown managed to get an election called in 2006:

Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
In office
27 June 2007 — 11 May 2010

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:29 - Apr 26 with 919 viewsGlasgowBlue

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:25 - Apr 26 by WeWereZombies

Would have liked to have seen Tony Blair's face if Brown managed to get an election called in 2006:

Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
In office
27 June 2007 — 11 May 2010

2007 and edited. Do you accept the point I'm making?

Iron Lion Zion

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:35 - Apr 26 with 913 viewsWeWereZombies

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:29 - Apr 26 by GlasgowBlue

2007 and edited. Do you accept the point I'm making?

As I said earlier in the thread (when I gave the correct year for Gordon to call an election) I do not think Labour want to win this one and I think you have a point about some bad economic news on the way, perhaps higher inflation. Or maybe Labour realise that whoever is in power if the Brexit negotiations do run the course and we Leave will be out of power for at least two decades following the next election after this one.

Poor Tim Farron, he could be left holding the biggest baby ever and then have UKIP demanding he throw it out with the bathwater...

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:46 - Apr 26 with 890 viewsMJallday

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:05 - Apr 26 by Herbivore

Kind and fair? Hang on a second, I just need to fire up the roflcopter.

She's displayed very little in the way of principle since becoming PM and not many would agree with your assessment of her as a Home Secretary.

people can agree or disagree . i can only tell you about my personal experience.

i work with the home office on a daily basis. i'm forever in there. although that said i havent been for a couple of weeks. need to get up there at some point. few of them owe me a coffee and a chat - theyre all a bit busy cos of purdah at the moment though.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Login to get fewer ads

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:47 - Apr 26 with 892 viewsGlasgowBlue

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:35 - Apr 26 by WeWereZombies

As I said earlier in the thread (when I gave the correct year for Gordon to call an election) I do not think Labour want to win this one and I think you have a point about some bad economic news on the way, perhaps higher inflation. Or maybe Labour realise that whoever is in power if the Brexit negotiations do run the course and we Leave will be out of power for at least two decades following the next election after this one.

Poor Tim Farron, he could be left holding the biggest baby ever and then have UKIP demanding he throw it out with the bathwater...

I've just watched another car crash interview on the news. This time with Jonathan Ashworth who is Shadow Health secretary. He is proposing all NHS staff get a pay rise.

It went something like this:

How much will the rise be?

JA. We will leave this to independent experts to decide.

Ok so you are going into the election promising a pay rise but won't say how much. How are you going to pay for this pay rise.

JA. Well as we are leaving this to independent experts to decide we haven't costed it because we don't know how much the rise would actually cost.

So you are going into the election promising a pay rise but don't know how much it will be or how it will be funded.

JA. One way is to reverse the Tory reduction in corporation tax.

Hasn't that already been used to cost other commitments.

JA. Yes but no but.......

Iron Lion Zion

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:50 - Apr 26 with 882 viewsWeWereZombies

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:47 - Apr 26 by GlasgowBlue

I've just watched another car crash interview on the news. This time with Jonathan Ashworth who is Shadow Health secretary. He is proposing all NHS staff get a pay rise.

Ok so you are going into the election promising a pay rise but won't say how much. How are you going to pay for this pay rise.

JA. Well as we are leaving this to independent experts to decide we haven't costed it because we don't know how much the rise would actually cost.

So you are going into the election promising a pay rise but don't know how much it will be or how it will be funded.

He should have said they were balancing the books by scrapping Trident...

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:54 - Apr 26 with 876 viewslowhouseblue

oh well, it's only money ...

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:59 - Apr 26 with 865 viewsGlasgowBlue

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:54 - Apr 26 by lowhouseblue

oh well, it's only money ...

Somebody just pointed out that an independent pay review could see some NHS workers get a pay cut

Iron Lion Zion

Theresa May and her snap election... on 09:06 - Apr 26 with 856 viewsNo9

It will be intersting to see if the BBC ever have the balls to interogate any tory MP like that
& he did make the point which you fail to that hs is shadow health secretary NOT shadow CoE

But I antidipate you & your party would cut the wages for the NHS personnel but encourage the NHS to pay agencies considerably more for their staff so your shares in the agencies elevate?

The NHS is far to important for politico's like you to screw around with it.
Theresa May and her snap election... on 09:09 - Apr 26 with 853 viewslowhouseblue

Theresa May and her snap election... on 08:59 - Apr 26 by GlasgowBlue

Somebody just pointed out that an independent pay review could see some NHS workers get a pay cut

also if you remove the 1% cap for nhs workers are you going to be able to maintain it for other public sector workers? corbyn getting tough with the public sector unions?
[Post edited 26 Apr 2017 9:09]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024