Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse 16:58 - Apr 29 with 8128 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I personally am waiting as my train doesn't leave til 5:43 and I want to see what happens

About 2500 here waiting in total plus any above me I can't say in SBR upper

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 18:50 - Apr 29 with 1941 viewsHerbivore

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 18:48 - Apr 29 by TractorCam

I really wish I had the answers for that. The 3-5-2 was working so well and for whatever reason, we switched it up despite February being our best month football wise since the play off season

To clarify, you genuinely think that what changed was that Mick went from telling his players to attack to telling them to defend? Think that over for a bit, do you honestly think it's likely or do you think there might be other reasons why we didn't maintain our form?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 18:52 - Apr 29 with 1926 viewsHerbivore

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 18:47 - Apr 29 by ClausThomsen

Skuglas is a cool thing to say?

Skuse and Douglas doesn't work, and the fans worked it out months before MM.

He used to be a defender. He's a defensive minded coach. He plays defensive football.

But no criticism is valid cause your head's right up MM's arse

You don't know what football he plays as you haven't watched it since the play off season.

I've said Mick should go this summer and have said so repeatedly for months now. I just don't see the need to make stuff up to justify that view and think some fans have gone massively OTT to discredit a manager who's done a decent job when you look at the entirety of his time at Town.

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 18:55 - Apr 29 with 1916 viewsSarge

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 18:52 - Apr 29 by Herbivore

You don't know what football he plays as you haven't watched it since the play off season.

I've said Mick should go this summer and have said so repeatedly for months now. I just don't see the need to make stuff up to justify that view and think some fans have gone massively OTT to discredit a manager who's done a decent job when you look at the entirety of his time at Town.

He plays defensive football, it's not up for debate.
A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 18:57 - Apr 29 with 1903 viewsClausThomsen

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 18:52 - Apr 29 by Herbivore

Well if he's not supposed to be playing defensive football then he's surely failed at any other type.

Why do you think Mick should go in the summer?
A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 19:01 - Apr 29 with 1886 viewsKeaneish

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 17:23 - Apr 29 by BergholtBru

Giving Mick abuse FFS !! The man has worked miracles on a shoestring budget just to keep us in the Championship. Without him we would have been in League 1 ages ago! Just look at some clubs and be thankful were still safely up. Major realism surgery required I`m afraid.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 19:15 - Apr 29 with 1841 viewsHerbivore

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 18:57 - Apr 29 by ClausThomsen

Well if he's not supposed to be playing defensive football then he's surely failed at any other type.

Why do you think Mick should go in the summer?

I think he should go for a number of reasons. I don't think we're likely to realistically challenge for promotion with the level of funding ME is putting in and if we're going to be struggling in the lower half of the table then we may as well try something different and see if a younger manager with fresh ideas might be able to do any better. When Mick has tried to get us playing better football we've struggled to sustain it for more than a few games and that has been frustrating. I think he's been here with the same players for a few years now and perhaps it's all a bit stale, same voices on the training ground and in the dressing room, perhaps nobody is quite as enthused and motivated as they used to be. One of the biggest reasons is that too many of the fans have turned now and the toxic atmosphere isn't very pleasant to be a part of and isn't very helpful and I feel that will only now change with a change of manager.

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 19:19 - Apr 29 with 1825 viewsHerbivore

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 18:55 - Apr 29 by Sarge

What does that even mean? We don't set up in the way that Mourinho set Man U up to play at City on Thursday, for example. Mostly under Mick we've tried to play in the opposition half and to press high. That's not being defensive. It's not always pretty, in fact often it's been dire, but people tend to confuse us playing badly with deliberately setting out to play that way. I seriously doubt that Mick sent his players out or prepared them much differently for games like Newcastle, Burton and Wigan than he has for games like today and against Birmingham when we were flat and generally poor. So why the difference? It's not about the manager being deliberately defensive today and being more attacking against Newcastle, it's far more complex and nuanced than that. But yeah, it's easier to shout Dino Mick than to try to understand the reasons why we're so inconsistent.

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 19:19 - Apr 29 with 1827 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 18:55 - Apr 29 by Sarge

'It's not up fo debate'

Thank f*ck you've not said that on a debati-

Never mind..

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Login to get fewer ads

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 19:39 - Apr 29 with 1766 viewsbraveblue

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 18:28 - Apr 29 by Herbivore

We didn't play a back 7 in any of those games. We've never played a back 7.

Yes we have. Fulham was embarrassing for a home game.
A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 19:41 - Apr 29 with 1761 viewsSarge

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 19:19 - Apr 29 by Herbivore

What does that even mean? We don't set up in the way that Mourinho set Man U up to play at City on Thursday, for example. Mostly under Mick we've tried to play in the opposition half and to press high. That's not being defensive. It's not always pretty, in fact often it's been dire, but people tend to confuse us playing badly with deliberately setting out to play that way. I seriously doubt that Mick sent his players out or prepared them much differently for games like Newcastle, Burton and Wigan than he has for games like today and against Birmingham when we were flat and generally poor. So why the difference? It's not about the manager being deliberately defensive today and being more attacking against Newcastle, it's far more complex and nuanced than that. But yeah, it's easier to shout Dino Mick than to try to understand the reasons why we're so inconsistent.

What are the reasons we've been so inconsistent?
- Setting up each game to match the opposition rather than play our own style?
- Persist with players out of form in the hope they'll come through it and have a brief purple patch?
- Playing players out of position?

Probably for me the biggest reason we're inconsistent is because we're consistent. Win or lose, play well or poor, we'll most like start the next match exactly the same. If you want a good team, you have to adapt and change mid-match and between matches. We don't tend to do that.

As for the defensive point, we never set out to score goals. If we go a goal down we rarely pull it back to win. Suck the life out of the game and nick it 1-0 is MM's mantra home and away. That to me is defensive.
A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 19:50 - Apr 29 with 1726 viewsHerbivore

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 19:39 - Apr 29 by braveblue

Yes we have. Fulham was embarrassing for a home game.

Which 7 defenders were in the team against Fulham?

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 19:50 - Apr 29 with 1729 viewsjas0999

Didn't stay. Glad I didn't. Nothing to appreciate. It's been woeful.
A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 19:53 - Apr 29 with 1718 viewsBerkshire_Blue

I have been an Ipswich Town fan since I was a kid and not for the first time this season I feel ashamed of the mob who claim to be Town fans but think it acceptable to abuse a decent football man. Mick McCarthy saved us from relegation when he arrived and has striven to do his best with no money and no resources. No other manager will do any better unless he has money to improve the squad and I can't see that happening. Blame the owner (but don't abuse him). He was star-struck when he arrived, making a disastrous appointment in Keane and landing Mick was the best move he ever made. You may lose Mick in the summer, but be careful what you wish for.
A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 19:53 - Apr 29 with 1707 viewsHerbivore

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 19:41 - Apr 29 by Sarge

What are the reasons we've been so inconsistent?
- Setting up each game to match the opposition rather than play our own style?
- Persist with players out of form in the hope they'll come through it and have a brief purple patch?
- Playing players out of position?

Probably for me the biggest reason we're inconsistent is because we're consistent. Win or lose, play well or poor, we'll most like start the next match exactly the same. If you want a good team, you have to adapt and change mid-match and between matches. We don't tend to do that.

As for the defensive point, we never set out to score goals. If we go a goal down we rarely pull it back to win. Suck the life out of the game and nick it 1-0 is MM's mantra home and away. That to me is defensive.

So we shouldn't match up the opposition and should play with our own style but we should also adapt and change on a game by game basis and not stick with the same side? You're asking for two different things there.

I don't agree that we don't set out to score goals, I'm not really sure where that perception comes from. When we play poorly we struggle to create but that's the same for most teams at this level.

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 20:32 - Apr 29 with 1660 viewsSarge

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 19:53 - Apr 29 by Herbivore

So we shouldn't match up the opposition and should play with our own style but we should also adapt and change on a game by game basis and not stick with the same side? You're asking for two different things there.

I don't agree that we don't set out to score goals, I'm not really sure where that perception comes from. When we play poorly we struggle to create but that's the same for most teams at this level.

We've scored 101 goals in the last 91 games. That's 1.1 goals per game. That's where the perception comes from.

Yes, we should play our own style and adapt that if it doesn't work. We don't have a style other than to stifle the opposition. Sometimes that doesn't work but rather than do something about it, or take the game to the other team, we plough on down the same old path.

Fwiw, I wasn't at the Newcastle game which by all accounts was a rare glimpse of taking the game to the other team and beating them well.
A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 20:48 - Apr 29 with 1624 viewsAlanG296

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 19:53 - Apr 29 by Berkshire_Blue

I have been an Ipswich Town fan since I was a kid and not for the first time this season I feel ashamed of the mob who claim to be Town fans but think it acceptable to abuse a decent football man. Mick McCarthy saved us from relegation when he arrived and has striven to do his best with no money and no resources. No other manager will do any better unless he has money to improve the squad and I can't see that happening. Blame the owner (but don't abuse him). He was star-struck when he arrived, making a disastrous appointment in Keane and landing Mick was the best move he ever made. You may lose Mick in the summer, but be careful what you wish for.

Yes he saved us from relegation, is there anyone who doesn't give him credit for that? But in football that is just history, managers get sacked the season after being promoted, managers get sacked the season after winning the Premier League, managers have been sacked the season after winning the Champions League! Clubs move on. "He saved our lives, we are eternally grateful" is not a reason to keep him in the job.
A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 20:58 - Apr 29 with 1600 viewsHerbivore

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 20:32 - Apr 29 by Sarge

We've scored 101 goals in the last 91 games. That's 1.1 goals per game. That's where the perception comes from.

Yes, we should play our own style and adapt that if it doesn't work. We don't have a style other than to stifle the opposition. Sometimes that doesn't work but rather than do something about it, or take the game to the other team, we plough on down the same old path.

Fwiw, I wasn't at the Newcastle game which by all accounts was a rare glimpse of taking the game to the other team and beating them well.

We've scored three or more goals in five home games this season. That suggests that we can take the game to teams but we're not doing so effectively or consistently enough. There are a variety of reasons for that but personally I don't think it is a simple case of us setting up to stifle teams, that's not what I've seen us doing this season, or last to be fair. There's been many issues with our performances but I don't think how we've set up or our mindset at the outset of the game is particularly an issue.

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 21:09 - Apr 29 with 1577 viewsDBaldy

A number of the north are waiting here to give mick abuse on 18:03 - Apr 29 by Blue_Moses

Marcus Evans doesn't dictate that we play 7 in defence with no strikers. Or maybe he does...

There's nothing like a bit of complete exaggeration to try to get your point across.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024