Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Krakow 16:53 - May 24 with 4108 viewsitfcbw

I'm off there Friday - Sunday with a couple of other lads. Anyone been and got any recommendations? We're all 19 and 20 so obviously alcohol will play a massive part in the weekend haha

Cheers!
Krakow on 16:55 - May 24 with 4094 viewsartsbossbeard

Decent place to visit.

Head up to the main square, hopefully they'll have some outside bars set up on the square itself but there's a load of pub/bars scattered around here.

There's a decent underground club, Carpe Diem, off the square too.

In summary, head to the square.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Krakow on 17:04 - May 24 with 4066 viewsHereford_Blue

Further vote for heading to the square.

Amazing city, loads to see, due to its history there's a decent mix of lots of different architectural styles etc.

Also - really cheap beer and food!

Remember they don't use the euro - I naively assumed they would and only realised very soon before going that they have the Zloty.
Krakow on 17:10 - May 24 with 4051 viewsSarge

Again, the Square. And Florianska leading to the square.
Krakow on 17:13 - May 24 with 4040 viewsGrief

i know you will want a weekend on the pop but a trip to either Auchwitz or the Salt mines can be done easily from Krakow and are either or both well worth it
Krakow on 17:20 - May 24 with 4020 viewsitfcbw

Excellent, thanks everyone for the replies. We are thinking of doing Auschwitz on the Saturday (provided heads aren't too sore), anyone know about getting tickets and what the travel there is like?
Krakow on 17:37 - May 24 with 3988 viewssyntaxerror

Krakow on 16:55 - May 24 by artsbossbeard

Decent place to visit.

Head up to the main square, hopefully they'll have some outside bars set up on the square itself but there's a load of pub/bars scattered around here.

Ah, my home away form home.

Carpe Diem was Polish metal, commercial RnB and 'DiscoPolo' mixed last time I was there, which is a very strange mix! The DJ is a metalhead who hates what he has to play :)
You dont really want to know what DiscoPolo is :P

During the day, beers on the square on a sunny day is great, and awesome for people watching! :)
There are some amazingly beautiful girls in Krakow.

Good cheap place to get hammered is Pijalnia Wódki i Piwa, there are about 4 of them around the streets off the main square - 4zl a vodka shot. Easiest to find is on ul Florianska, which also has loads of fast food restaurants.
More commercial clubs are on ul Szewska on the Western side of the square.
If you want something closer to home, the Bull Pub is an Irish style bar, with a lot of English tourists usually.
Its also just off main square, just near the huge church. Never been myself, just walked past often.

On a Friday or Saturday night you will be accosted by lots of girls advertising Lap dancing clubs.
But beware the bouncers are huge and take no prisoners.

Also, dont abandon a drunk mate in the street. The Polish police clamp down very quickly on people passed out or unable to walk. That ends up with the rest of the night spent in a drunk tank, which a mate of mine will confirm, isn't a pleasant experience.

Jewish Quarter, called Kazimierz is also worth a look, much less touristy and with some really nice bars with craft beers and such like.
[Post edited 24 May 2017 17:40]
Krakow on 17:39 - May 24 with 3981 viewssyntaxerror

Krakow on 17:20 - May 24 by itfcbw

Excellent, thanks everyone for the replies. We are thinking of doing Auschwitz on the Saturday (provided heads aren't too sore), anyone know about getting tickets and what the travel there is like?

You can book ahead with your hotel / hostel usually. Ask at the front desk.
If not, there are a number of tour operators just off the main square.
Busses leave every 30min or so, but transport would usually be arranged by whoever you book through.
Krakow on 17:53 - May 24 with 3958 viewsitfcbw

Krakow on 17:37 - May 24 by syntaxerror

Ah, my home away form home.

Carpe Diem was Polish metal, commercial RnB and 'DiscoPolo' mixed last time I was there, which is a very strange mix! The DJ is a metalhead who hates what he has to play :)
You dont really want to know what DiscoPolo is :P

During the day, beers on the square on a sunny day is great, and awesome for people watching! :)
There are some amazingly beautiful girls in Krakow.

Good cheap place to get hammered is Pijalnia Wódki i Piwa, there are about 4 of them around the streets off the main square - 4zl a vodka shot. Easiest to find is on ul Florianska, which also has loads of fast food restaurants.
More commercial clubs are on ul Szewska on the Western side of the square.
If you want something closer to home, the Bull Pub is an Irish style bar, with a lot of English tourists usually.
Its also just off main square, just near the huge church. Never been myself, just walked past often.

On a Friday or Saturday night you will be accosted by lots of girls advertising Lap dancing clubs.
But beware the bouncers are huge and take no prisoners.

Also, dont abandon a drunk mate in the street. The Polish police clamp down very quickly on people passed out or unable to walk. That ends up with the rest of the night spent in a drunk tank, which a mate of mine will confirm, isn't a pleasant experience.

Jewish Quarter, called Kazimierz is also worth a look, much less touristy and with some really nice bars with craft beers and such like.
[Post edited 24 May 2017 17:40]

Thanks a lot for this!

I'll try my best not to get sent to the drunk tank haha, it doesn't sound particularly pleasant!
Login to get fewer ads

Krakow on 18:01 - May 24 with 3943 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I think it took about 60-90 minutes from Krakow to Auschwitz via mini bus. Definitely worth it.

Krakow itself is lovely.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Krakow on 18:10 - May 24 with 3925 viewsLord_Lucan

Krakow on 16:55 - May 24 by artsbossbeard

Decent place to visit.

This.

There are though loads of underground (cavern) bars. Really great place, one of my faves.

If you find (if it's still there) Carpe Diem then there is restaurant straight on (away from the square) which does medieval meat feasts and the waiters are dressed as monks. Can't remember the name and my directions might be askew but if you bump into it it's great.

Auschwitz is worth a visit as are the salt mines (think you can get both on same trip) but it depends how much time you have.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Krakow on 18:37 - May 24 with 3863 viewsHereford_Blue

Auschwitz is an eerie place - possibly the most haunting place I've been to on this planet.

We got a taxi there and back which didn't cost the Warth, although a Polish mate sorted it so suspect there was a bit of a discount involved.
Krakow on 18:50 - May 24 with 3837 viewsLord_Lucan

Krakow on 18:37 - May 24 by Hereford_Blue

Auschwitz is an eerie place - possibly the most haunting place I've been to on this planet.

We got a taxi there and back which didn't cost the Warth, although a Polish mate sorted it so suspect there was a bit of a discount involved.

Yeah but in that case did you have a guide?

You need a guide.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Krakow on 18:54 - May 24 with 3825 viewsHereford_Blue

Krakow on 18:50 - May 24 by Lord_Lucan

Yeah but in that case did you have a guide?

You need a guide.

Nope - our Polish man taxi driver just hung about outside each of the camps whilst we went around.

May have missed a couple of bits but think we saw most of it - the bit that sticks in my mind is the original chamber they used right at the start of the atrocities.
Krakow on 19:10 - May 24 with 3811 viewsLord_Lucan

Krakow on 18:54 - May 24 by Hereford_Blue

Nope - our Polish man taxi driver just hung about outside each of the camps whilst we went around.

May have missed a couple of bits but think we saw most of it - the bit that sticks in my mind is the original chamber they used right at the start of the atrocities.

I always try and go solo but Autchvitz is the one place I was glad to have a guide, they usually come with the coach travel tour. Without it you won't understand all of what you are seeing. Included in this is a short trip to berkenhau (sp) which is really eerie as this is the train track bit you will recognise from the films. I went in the winter and the summer, the winter gives you more of an insight of the awfulness of the plight.

Krakow on 19:29 - May 24 with 3768 viewsGrief

talk to your concierge in your hotel, there will be loads of organised tours that you can latch onto... auschwitz is harrowing but it is a must do thing!
Krakow on 22:16 - May 24 with 3661 viewscaught-in-limbo

I lived in Kraków for a couple of years either side of Poland entering the EU. It was an exciting time to be there but things have changed a lot since then.

As most have said, the Rynek Główny (Main Square) and the surrounding streets is the place to head for. It's Europe's biggest medieval town square. The Sukiennice (old Cloth Hall) sits in the middle of the square and is worth a visit (it's a long passageway on one side and a bunch of bars and cafés on the other.

While in the main square listen out for the bugle player on the hour, every hour from St Mary's Basilica on the corner of the square. If you look up you'll see him playing. He plays the same tune every time but it's famous for the fact that it ends abruptly mid verse - symbolising the fact that the original bugler was shot dead at that point in the piece.

As others have said Oswiecim (Auschwitz) is worth a visit - but it's a deeply moving experience and certainly not recommended if you've got a fuzzy head.

However, the Salt Mine in Wieliczka is always worth a visit - but before you decide to lick the walls, think about how many other millions of others have done exactly the same thing.

While I was there my favourite restaurant was the Orient Express Restauracja - it was very nowel in its day because it had (probably still has) Orient Express style train tables and seats and the food was excellent for Poland at that time. I'm not sure it's still the place to go as it was in 2000 - probably not.

Kraków is far less pretentious than Prague and a great place to visit. If you're drinking with your friends don't get stuck in one place - try and see as much as possible - it's fantastic.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024