Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Water problems - landlord/agent responsibilities 12:51 - May 30 with 1846 viewsuefacup81

Hi all

The water went out at home yesterday, leaving us with no cold water and only scalding hot hot water.

We weren't able to contact the agent yesterday as their emergency contact number wasn't working, so have raised the issue with them this morning.

They've advised that it's unlikely to get sorted today (but would definitely have done so if we'd told them about it yesterday...) and have given vague mention to it being done tomorrow at the latest.

Are there any statutory requirements for the rectification of water/utility-type problems? Or is it just a case of good practice being the watchword?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Water problems - landlord/agent responsibilities on 12:54 - May 30 with 1825 viewshomer_123

Are you sure it's not an issue with supply, is it def in/ on the property?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Water problems - landlord/agent responsibilities on 12:55 - May 30 with 1818 viewsLord_Lucan

To be fair I think your landlord has been pretty quick to sort it out.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Water problems - landlord/agent responsibilities on 13:07 - May 30 with 1792 viewsBent_double

That's unusual - it's normally the other way around, especially as hot water starts off cold in the first place!

I think I'm right in saying that the supply of clean water is a must in a property, water companies are rarely allowed to cut-off a supply if a customer is in arrears. Saying that, I guess it depends what the problem is, whether it's just your property or others in the area, but I would think the landlord/agent should be getting it fixed today/tomorrow at their cost.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Water problems - landlord/agent responsibilities on 13:10 - May 30 with 1782 viewsLord_Lucan

I'm no expert but it sounds like your boiler is permanently on, can't you turn it off?

Again - I am no expert

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Water problems - landlord/agent responsibilities on 13:14 - May 30 with 1766 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I dont think there is any recourse for you.

If there was no water at all for a prolonged period of time, then it would be an issue.

But you will have water to drink and to bathe in (it will cool), so its an inconvenience rather than a welfare issue.

Can you turn the boiler off?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Water problems - landlord/agent responsibilities on 13:24 - May 30 with 1731 viewsRealSlimShady

Are there any error codes on the boiler?
Water problems - landlord/agent responsibilities on 14:57 - May 30 with 1677 viewsBLUEBEAT

Water companies in the UK are unable to disconnect the supply to domestic properties under the Human Rights Act.

It does however sound as though the supply has been switched off (and if you continually run the hot taps, the hot water will run out too as the boiler will not have a source to replenish supplies from).

I'd check your internal and external stop-taps.

Poll: ACID, FUNK, ACID FUNK?

Water problems - landlord/agent responsibilities on 15:44 - May 30 with 1652 viewsMJallday

this may help

http://www.thetenantsvoice.co.uk/advice_from_us/heating-and-hot-water/

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Login to get fewer ads

Water problems - landlord/agent responsibilities on 15:47 - May 30 with 1648 viewsconnorscontract

Water problems - landlord/agent responsibilities on 13:07 - May 30 by Bent_double

That's unusual - it's normally the other way around, especially as hot water starts off cold in the first place!

I think I'm right in saying that the supply of clean water is a must in a property, water companies are rarely allowed to cut-off a supply if a customer is in arrears. Saying that, I guess it depends what the problem is, whether it's just your property or others in the area, but I would think the landlord/agent should be getting it fixed today/tomorrow at their cost.

Water companies are not allowed to cut off supply full stop if you are in arrears.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024