Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
California Road Trip 15:45 - Jun 5 with 8503 viewsCoastalblue

Off to California in September for a two week road trip. Intending to start with a couple of days in San Fran and then the plan was to drive down the coast to around LA, head inland to Joshua Tree and then back up to Yosemite.
The initial bit on the Pacific Highway driving through Big Sur is something I've wanted to do for years, but due to mudslides and a bridge being destroyed sadly this is now out of the question.

Any suggestions from anybody for things to see or do? Not too fussed about spending time in LA and not intending to go in as far as Vegas, though I'm hoping to detour to Death Valley on the way back up.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

California Road Trip on 15:51 - Jun 5 with 5229 viewsartsbossbeard

Having had two weeks in the LA area recently, I do feel you're missing out but each to their own.

I had a wonderful chill out day at Newport Beach in Orange County. Proper surf dude place with loads of surfers waiting for the perfect wave, plus dolphins in the surf and pelicans flying around. Decent bars & eateries along the front too.

Also had a brilliant afternoon up in the mountains around Palm Springs, took the cable car to the top, had a walk around in the snow and then a beer in the bar. Lovely.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

California Road Trip on 15:55 - Jun 5 with 5213 viewsDanTheMan

I did LA -> Phoenix -> Vegas -> Yosemite -> San Fran -> LA last year. Was fantastic, road trip is well worth it.

I would have recommended going to Sedona but you're not going out far enough, as that was a stunning drive.

Are you planning to stay in Yosemite?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

California Road Trip on 15:55 - Jun 5 with 5204 viewsCoastalblue

California Road Trip on 15:51 - Jun 5 by artsbossbeard

Having had two weeks in the LA area recently, I do feel you're missing out but each to their own.

I had a wonderful chill out day at Newport Beach in Orange County. Proper surf dude place with loads of surfers waiting for the perfect wave, plus dolphins in the surf and pelicans flying around. Decent bars & eateries along the front too.

Also had a brilliant afternoon up in the mountains around Palm Springs, took the cable car to the top, had a walk around in the snow and then a beer in the bar. Lovely.

Thanks.

Might rethink LA, initially was intending to spend longer getting there and had other things we wanted to fit in, with the Pacific Highway closed though there is a bit of time to fill on the southerly leg, so may yet decide to give LA a bit of a look.

I think our intention is to stay in or around Palm Springs when visiting Joshua Tree and probably spending a couple of days there. Nice to see it get a thumbs up. There are some great Air BNB's in the area.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.

California Road Trip on 15:57 - Jun 5 with 5195 viewsCoastalblue

California Road Trip on 15:55 - Jun 5 by DanTheMan

I did LA -> Phoenix -> Vegas -> Yosemite -> San Fran -> LA last year. Was fantastic, road trip is well worth it.

I would have recommended going to Sedona but you're not going out far enough, as that was a stunning drive.

Are you planning to stay in Yosemite?

Yes we have two nights booked in Big Trees Lodge toward the end of the trip.

Wanted to do this for years so really looking forward to it now.

California Road Trip on 15:58 - Jun 5 with 5178 viewsartsbossbeard

California Road Trip on 15:55 - Jun 5 by Coastalblue

Thanks.

Might rethink LA, initially was intending to spend longer getting there and had other things we wanted to fit in, with the Pacific Highway closed though there is a bit of time to fill on the southerly leg, so may yet decide to give LA a bit of a look.

I think our intention is to stay in or around Palm Springs when visiting Joshua Tree and probably spending a couple of days there. Nice to see it get a thumbs up. There are some great Air BNB's in the area.

There's also a rather decent yet soulless outlet centre near Palm Springs, which allows you to pick up some discounted American clobber and therefore not have to spend any more time shopping on your trip.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

California Road Trip on 15:59 - Jun 5 with 5168 viewshomer_123

California Road Trip on 15:55 - Jun 5 by Coastalblue

Thanks.

LA is one of the most depressing places I've ever visited.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

California Road Trip on 16:00 - Jun 5 with 5157 viewsRyorry

I'll ask my neighbour when he gets back; he's currently halfway through exactly such a jaunt with a buddy - they're on motorbikes! albeit focussing on route 66.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

California Road Trip on 16:03 - Jun 5 with 5143 viewsDanTheMan

California Road Trip on 15:57 - Jun 5 by Coastalblue

Yes we have two nights booked in Big Trees Lodge toward the end of the trip.

Wanted to do this for years so really looking forward to it now.

Yosemite for me was the highlight of the trip. It's stunning, was a bit sad we only got a day there.

The drive is something else, amazing how high you go up.

Not much really I can suggest except as locals. We only knew about Sedona as we asked our hostel, and then when we got there found a local travel place that told us the best roads to take.

Enjoy!

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

California Road Trip on 16:04 - Jun 5 with 5140 viewsartsbossbeard

California Road Trip on 15:59 - Jun 5 by homer_123

LA is one of the most depressing places I've ever visited.

Downtown agreed, only visited it once whilst there this time and that was to watch the Ice Hockey. Go Kings.

Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Griffiths Observatory, LA Port area with the Queen Mary in situ & the aquarium are all well worth a visit.

California Road Trip on 16:05 - Jun 5 with 5137 viewsWubbleU

San Francisco - The basic tourist stuff is all you need. Ride a cable car, tour of Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge. Obviously all sorts of other cool stuff to do in the city but the routine tourist attractions are plenty to fill a few days. Great city.
The coast, Monterrey is great for whale watching, not the cheapest trip but worth it to see whales in the wild.
Didn't know the coast road was out but still do as much of Highway 1 as you can.
Not sure if it counts as LA but Santa Monica is fun and as per the previous reply the surf towns and beaches south of LA are great.
California Road Trip on 16:06 - Jun 5 with 5127 viewsvilanovablue

Worth allowing a few days for Yosemite and if you get the chance to walk up half dome it's well worth it. Given that you are in the area it is worth trying to find some time to make it to the Grand Canyon. Also San Fran is an amazing city and worth a good few days of anyone's time.
California Road Trip on 16:07 - Jun 5 with 5122 viewsartsbossbeard

California Road Trip on 16:05 - Jun 5 by WubbleU

San Francisco - The basic tourist stuff is all you need. Ride a cable car, tour of Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge. Obviously all sorts of other cool stuff to do in the city but the routine tourist attractions are plenty to fill a few days. Great city.
The coast, Monterrey is great for whale watching, not the cheapest trip but worth it to see whales in the wild.
Didn't know the coast road was out but still do as much of Highway 1 as you can.
Not sure if it counts as LA but Santa Monica is fun and as per the previous reply the surf towns and beaches south of LA are great.

San Fran is my favourite US city, no doubt.

Said it before on here, I could live there quite easily.

California Road Trip on 16:09 - Jun 5 with 5118 viewsSwansea_Blue

Following with interest as we're doing similar. Missus has been to San Fran and LA several times before, and much prefers San Fran. But it's very personal I imagine.

We've a bit more time, so will be flying into either SF & then Yosemite & Death Valley, or flying into Vegas and then Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and north through Utah and back to the coast in Oregon. Flying back out from Portland or Seattle. Bit worried it will be a bit of a mad rush with all the driving, but we'll have at least 3 weeks.

edit - Monterey is still accessible from the north, so this will be on our list if we fly into SF. There's a famous aquarium there if you're interested in that kind of stuff!
[Post edited 5 Jun 2017 16:14]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

California Road Trip on 16:26 - Jun 5 with 5066 viewsIllinoisblue

California Road Trip on 16:07 - Jun 5 by artsbossbeard

San Fran is my favourite US city, no doubt.

Said it before on here, I could live there quite easily.

apart from the astronomical rents, yes it would be easy! Going there for a work trip at the end of the month. Timed it to allow time for a game of MLB rounders.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

California Road Trip on 16:28 - Jun 5 with 5059 viewsartsbossbeard

California Road Trip on 16:26 - Jun 5 by Illinoisblue

apart from the astronomical rents, yes it would be easy! Going there for a work trip at the end of the month. Timed it to allow time for a game of MLB rounders.

Ha! There is that. Maybe just outta SF then..

Decent stadium that - enjoy!

California Road Trip on 16:29 - Jun 5 with 5058 viewsfactual_blue

California Road Trip on 16:03 - Jun 5 by DanTheMan

Yosemite for me was the highlight of the trip. It's stunning, was a bit sad we only got a day there.

The drive is something else, amazing how high you go up.

Not much really I can suggest except as locals. We only knew about Sedona as we asked our hostel, and then when we got there found a local travel place that told us the best roads to take.

Enjoy!

I'd agree,. As I said to Mrs Factual at the time, I could stand looking at the breathtaking vista at Tunnel View forever.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

California Road Trip on 16:31 - Jun 5 with 5043 viewsSwansea_Blue

California Road Trip on 16:29 - Jun 5 by factual_blue

I'd agree,. As I said to Mrs Factual at the time, I could stand looking at the breathtaking vista at Tunnel View forever.

Chocabloc in the summer though from what I've heard.

California Road Trip on 16:38 - Jun 5 with 5026 viewshomer_123

California Road Trip on 16:29 - Jun 5 by factual_blue

It's nearly as old as you Facters.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

California Road Trip on 16:42 - Jun 5 with 5021 viewsSwansea_Blue

California Road Trip on 16:38 - Jun 5 by homer_123

It's nearly as old as you Facters.

That's a cheap shot!

Besides, it's rocks are far younger than Facters, at a mere 100 million yrs old

Phil - we've established racism is unacceptable on here on 16:43 - Jun 5 with 5014 viewsfactual_blue

California Road Trip on 16:42 - Jun 5 by Swansea_Blue

That's a cheap shot!

Besides, it's rocks are far younger than Facters, at a mere 100 million yrs old

Could you confirm ageism is similarly offensive?

Asking for a friend.

California Road Trip on 16:44 - Jun 5 with 5014 viewsfactual_blue

California Road Trip on 16:09 - Jun 5 by Swansea_Blue

Following with interest as we're doing similar. Missus has been to San Fran and LA several times before, and much prefers San Fran. But it's very personal I imagine.

We've a bit more time, so will be flying into either SF & then Yosemite & Death Valley, or flying into Vegas and then Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and north through Utah and back to the coast in Oregon. Flying back out from Portland or Seattle. Bit worried it will be a bit of a mad rush with all the driving, but we'll have at least 3 weeks.

edit - Monterey is still accessible from the north, so this will be on our list if we fly into SF. There's a famous aquarium there if you're interested in that kind of stuff!
[Post edited 5 Jun 2017 16:14]

We had a loverly fish supper on the pier at Monterey.

And I remember a particularly nice caramel latte in Carmel.

California Road Trip on 16:48 - Jun 5 with 4989 viewssouthnorfolkblue

If you are prepared to go beyond LA, San Diego is really nice and worth visiting.

Poll: Our final position

California Road Trip on 17:12 - Jun 5 with 4960 viewsbluefunk

we have just completed a similar trip, in reverse - for what it's worth my comments

Generally VERY expensive, hotels added a minimum $25 per night facility fee (for wifi basically),

LA - a soulless sprawl with little to recommend it, stayed in West Hollywood, near Sunset. Car, or endless Ubers a necessity, worth visiting Griffith Observatory, Paramount studios (excellent guided tour) Urth Cafe on Melrose and not much else,

Santa Monica - huge beach, good vibe, good restaurants, however, difficult seeing so many homeless (as in LA)

Venice beach - touristy but a little more edgy than Santa Monica, not much to see here other than the boardwalk/beach

Up the coast, you can get up to just north of San Simeon on Highway 1

Malibu, ribbon development along Highway one, preferred Santa Monica
Pismo Beach - fantastic little town on Highway one, worth staying here the night to eat at the Sea Venture restaurant overlooking the beach and the surfers while the sun goes down
Morro Bay, Cambria, San Simeon - each have a certain charm, although nothing of note beyond the photo opportunities and some reasonable cafe's diners
Monterey and Pebble Beach. If you are a golfer, then the 17 mile drive (around the Monetery peninsula) for $10 is worth it for the views in general and seeing the famous 18th at Pebble Beach. Monterey wasnt really very inspiring
Carmel, another lovely town, just near Monterey, worth a stop, great restaurants and bars among the art galleries and real estate agents, this is a wealthy town (Clint Eastwood was Mayor here) which wasn't too expensive

We stayed in Carmel a couple of days thinking we would go South as far as we could on Highway One - we did, but it didn't take long as the road is shut just South of Big Sur, which is less a town more a collection of wooden buildings strung along the road.

San Francisco - do all the tourist things, Cable Car, GG Bridge, the Embarcado/Pier39 etc but also take the ferry to Sausalito for lunch (the views are excellent and the weather is better) and get off the tourist trail for better value food and drink

PM me if I can add any more
Phil - we've established racism is unacceptable on here on 17:17 - Jun 5 with 4940 viewsSwansea_Blue

Phil - we've established racism is unacceptable on here on 16:43 - Jun 5 by factual_blue

Could you confirm ageism is similarly offensive?

Asking for a friend.

Balls

California Road Trip on 17:18 - Jun 5 with 4935 viewsSwansea_Blue

California Road Trip on 16:44 - Jun 5 by factual_blue

We had a loverly fish supper on the pier at Monterey.

And I remember a particularly nice caramel latte in Carmel.

Is it worth a visit then irrespective of the aquarium? I'm an aquarium nut, by the better half will probably need a bit of extra persuasion.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024