Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hurricane Irma 14:19 - Sep 5 with 10238 viewsYaffle

Just been upgraded to a Cat.5 storm with 210mph wind gusts with sustained speeds of 175mph with a storm surge of 11ft and pressure already reading sub 930mb. With plenty of warm water still to cross this really could get very very nasty over the next couple of days.

Antigua looks to be right in the firing line at present and either a north turn towards Miami or the Florida Keys or it slipping right through into the GOM would result in catastrophic damage and loss of life. Either way, it is going to get bad somewhere soon, unless by some miracle the whole system collapses, which won't happen.
on 14:21 - Sep 5 with 8059 views_

Hurricane Irma on 16:14 - Sep 5 with 7968 viewsPendejo

My nephew is on honeymoon in Florida, I 'd said to him... "oh hurricane season", "nah that starts 3rd week of the month"

Worse still is the hurricane has my wife's name and I can see the jokes that he got a blow job off Irma.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Hurricane Irma on 16:21 - Sep 5 with 7952 viewsJ2BLUE

Hurricane Irma on 16:14 - Sep 5 by Pendejo

My nephew is on honeymoon in Florida, I 'd said to him... "oh hurricane season", "nah that starts 3rd week of the month"

Worse still is the hurricane has my wife's name and I can see the jokes that he got a blow job off Irma.

Who hasn't?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Hurricane Irma on 16:31 - Sep 5 with 7933 viewshammo56

My nephew and his wife live in Key West just hope they will be ok.
Hurricane Irma on 16:32 - Sep 5 with 7931 viewsYaffle

Hurricane Irma on 16:14 - Sep 5 by Pendejo

All joking aside, he should definitely keep an eye on the track of this storm then. It is a real beast with surface winds to 180mph already and cat 5 winds on all but the SW quadrant. The track will determine where is most badly impacted but failing to understand how devastating a cat.5 is could be very dangerous.
Hurricane Irma on 16:33 - Sep 5 with 7922 viewsBackToRussia

Forecasts suggests heading straight for Miami.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Hurricane Irma on 16:35 - Sep 5 with 7918 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Hurricane Irma on 16:33 - Sep 5 by BackToRussia

Potentially, a lot can happen in a few days though. Got a lot of friends and family in that part of the world sop keeping my fingers crossed it isn't too bad.
Hurricane Irma on 16:37 - Sep 5 with 7913 viewsStokieBlue

Hurricane Irma on 16:32 - Sep 5 by Yaffle

All joking aside, he should definitely keep an eye on the track of this storm then. It is a real beast with surface winds to 180mph already and cat 5 winds on all but the SW quadrant. The track will determine where is most badly impacted but failing to understand how devastating a cat.5 is could be very dangerous.

It's a biggie alright, also 60% chance of another one forming in the GoM and 80% chance of one out near Cape Verde and heading in the same way.

The last few hurricane seasons have been quite light but this one is looking pretty bad already.

This is a great website if you want metrics and specifics, I used to use it loads:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

SB

Edit: Since I looked this morning the 80% chance has become tropical storm Jose and is following Irma in.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2017 16:40]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Hurricane Irma on 16:41 - Sep 5 with 7892 viewsYaffle

Hurricane Irma on 16:33 - Sep 5 by BackToRussia

The models were 36 hours ago but it has tracked on a westerly heading since bringing the Leeward islands more into play. If it takes a northerly turn later it will bring it right into the southern tip of Florida. Lots can still change.
Hurricane Irma on 16:42 - Sep 5 with 7882 viewsStokieBlue

Hurricane Irma on 16:41 - Sep 5 by Yaffle

The models were 36 hours ago but it has tracked on a westerly heading since bringing the Leeward islands more into play. If it takes a northerly turn later it will bring it right into the southern tip of Florida. Lots can still change.

Could get even worse if it misses Florida though, good chance it could strengthen even more over the GoM and then hit somewhere along the US gulf coast.

As you say, plenty could still change.

SB

Edit: NHC saying it's the strongest recorded Atlantic basin hurricane outside the Caribbean basin and GoM.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2017 16:45]

Hurricane Irma on 16:52 - Sep 5 with 7849 viewsYaffle

Hurricane Irma on 16:42 - Sep 5 by StokieBlue

Could get even worse if it misses Florida though, good chance it could strengthen even more over the GoM and then hit somewhere along the US gulf coast.

As you say, plenty could still change.

SB

Edit: NHC saying it's the strongest recorded Atlantic basin hurricane outside the Caribbean basin and GoM.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2017 16:45]

If the pressure chart bottom right is correct then it really is a historic and unprecedented storm. I hope to god that's a model wobble. (cant really see in the image - either open the image or take my word for it that it says 852mb?.)

[Post edited 5 Sep 2017 16:54]
Hurricane Irma on 21:01 - Sep 5 with 7726 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Hurricane Irma on 16:52 - Sep 5 by Yaffle

If the pressure chart bottom right is correct then it really is a historic and unprecedented storm. I hope to god that's a model wobble. (cant really see in the image - either open the image or take my word for it that it says 852mb?.)

[Post edited 5 Sep 2017 16:54]

It has effectively gone category 6........buy orange juice futures !
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-05/hurricane-irma-strenghtens-extremely-da

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Hurricane Irma on 21:31 - Sep 5 with 7690 viewsfloridablue

Starting to get crazy already in central Florida, stores are already running out of supplies,
bottled water shelves are empty! Florida keys starts official evacuation tomorrow. I heard it mentioned on the local news that waves of 25ft could hit the coastal areas. Hopefully still have power to follow the Blues on Saturday morning!
Hurricane Irma on 21:39 - Sep 5 with 7661 viewsJ2BLUE

Hurricane Irma on 21:31 - Sep 5 by floridablue

Starting to get crazy already in central Florida, stores are already running out of supplies,
bottled water shelves are empty! Florida keys starts official evacuation tomorrow. I heard it mentioned on the local news that waves of 25ft could hit the coastal areas. Hopefully still have power to follow the Blues on Saturday morning!

Stay safe brother.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Hurricane Irma on 03:16 - Sep 6 with 7566 viewsNewcyBlue

Hurricane Irma on 16:37 - Sep 5 by StokieBlue

It's a biggie alright, also 60% chance of another one forming in the GoM and 80% chance of one out near Cape Verde and heading in the same way.

The last few hurricane seasons have been quite light but this one is looking pretty bad already.

This is a great website if you want metrics and specifics, I used to use it loads:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

SB

Edit: Since I looked this morning the 80% chance has become tropical storm Jose and is following Irma in.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2017 16:40]

That NOAA site is very good. Often get my ocean charts off the OPC part of the site.

Am watching the Tropical Storms with great interest as we head up into the North Atlantic.

Hope everyone on Terra Firma keeps out of its way as best they can.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Hurricane Irma on 05:01 - Sep 6 with 7536 viewspowinswitch

As an aside, and thinking about how these things are reported in different parts of the world. In 1998 I was serving in Belize with my family living there too. Due to Hurricane Mitch coming our way my wife and children were evacuated to Miami, while the military stayed behind and batoned down so we could assist with any post event relief.

Mitch turned out to be the second deadliest Atlantic hurricane ever. Something like 20,000 deaths across Central America, predominantly in Honduras, Guatemala and Nicaragua. My guess is, that those old enough to have seen the news, may not have heard of, or perhaps recall this hurricane. And my point is that if it is not a first world country, then the 20,000 lives don't matter as much.

The same can be said for the terrorist attacks in many parts of the world. If they are in U.K., Belgium, France etc, then we will know about them, and have facebooks pictures with the flag of the country or the name of the city. But if the attack is in Africa, the Middle East, Asia or wherever then other than a small feature in the media, we will pass that story and life goes on.

QDouble standards in my opinion, but others will feel that it is reporting what is relevant to our lives. I hope that Irma by some miracle makes no impact. But should it wreak devastation in a less worthy country or region, don't worry, we will probably barely hear about it anyway.
Hurricane Irma on 05:16 - Sep 6 with 7531 viewsWeWereZombies

Hurricane Irma on 05:01 - Sep 6 by powinswitch

As an aside, and thinking about how these things are reported in different parts of the world. In 1998 I was serving in Belize with my family living there too. Due to Hurricane Mitch coming our way my wife and children were evacuated to Miami, while the military stayed behind and batoned down so we could assist with any post event relief.

Mitch turned out to be the second deadliest Atlantic hurricane ever. Something like 20,000 deaths across Central America, predominantly in Honduras, Guatemala and Nicaragua. My guess is, that those old enough to have seen the news, may not have heard of, or perhaps recall this hurricane. And my point is that if it is not a first world country, then the 20,000 lives don't matter as much.

The same can be said for the terrorist attacks in many parts of the world. If they are in U.K., Belgium, France etc, then we will know about them, and have facebooks pictures with the flag of the country or the name of the city. But if the attack is in Africa, the Middle East, Asia or wherever then other than a small feature in the media, we will pass that story and life goes on.

QDouble standards in my opinion, but others will feel that it is reporting what is relevant to our lives. I hope that Irma by some miracle makes no impact. But should it wreak devastation in a less worthy country or region, don't worry, we will probably barely hear about it anyway.

That's sobering - not sure I can recall Hurricane Mitch back in 1998 and my impression of what major news happened that year is more aftermath of the First Gulf War and the wars in the former Yugoslavia. I spent two months travelling through Central America in 2009, don't think I heard Hurricane Mitch mentioned once - an element of fatalism in those countries, I guess.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Hurricane Irma on 06:49 - Sep 6 with 7503 viewsEly_Blue

I couldn't agree more with you. I just returned from the Cayos region of Cuba and the storm is essentially heading directly for them by around Friday, having travelled by road to Havana during my time in Cuba (600km) you get to see quite a lot of just how primitive the life of some of the people on these islands are. As you giggly say because this one is potentially headed for the US it's all over mainstream news channels and yet even with such early warnings and good infrastructure there will still be the reports at the weekend about "trapped" people in parts of Florida when these people have had a good few days to get the hell out of there. When thousands are displaced, killed and have their basic and ramshackle homes destroyed in the islands because they have no way out or can't escape I dare say there won't be the same coverage on TV. I sat watching on CNN last week with Harvey in TX and you would have thought that WW3 was going on with the amount of wall to wall coverage and the way it was reported, even with warnings there really are some dumb people in this world especially in "first world countries"

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Hurricane Irma on 08:18 - Sep 6 with 7426 viewsStokieBlue

I do agree with a lot of your post (and Guatemala and Belize are lovely countries) but I think there needs to be some context here.

Irma is not a normal storm, it's now the strongest storm ever formed exclusively over Atlantic waters. I think this deserves the covered extensively in the media and reading through the Telegraph just now the main focus is on all the islands in it's path rather than Florida which is getting little coverage as it won't get there until Friday.

It's also not that surprising that the media in "first world countries" cover events in countries similar to their own. This is far from a trait of the west, if you go somewhere like Russia then their media coverage is hugely Russian and ex-soviet country lead. I suspect the same is true with most countries who focus on themselves and their neighbours first and the rest of the world as time allows.

I do agree the media should present more coverage of attacks taking place in other parts of the world (especially given 24 hour news channels) but on the main bulletins I fully understand why they prioritise as they do. I don't think it means that the 20,000 lives in a poorer country don't matter as much though.

As an aside, did you like serving in Belize?

SB

Hurricane Irma on 10:36 - Sep 6 with 7364 viewspowinswitch

Hurricane Irma on 08:18 - Sep 6 by StokieBlue

I do agree with a lot of your post (and Guatemala and Belize are lovely countries) but I think there needs to be some context here.

Irma is not a normal storm, it's now the strongest storm ever formed exclusively over Atlantic waters. I think this deserves the covered extensively in the media and reading through the Telegraph just now the main focus is on all the islands in it's path rather than Florida which is getting little coverage as it won't get there until Friday.

It's also not that surprising that the media in "first world countries" cover events in countries similar to their own. This is far from a trait of the west, if you go somewhere like Russia then their media coverage is hugely Russian and ex-soviet country lead. I suspect the same is true with most countries who focus on themselves and their neighbours first and the rest of the world as time allows.

I do agree the media should present more coverage of attacks taking place in other parts of the world (especially given 24 hour news channels) but on the main bulletins I fully understand why they prioritise as they do. I don't think it means that the 20,000 lives in a poorer country don't matter as much though.

SB

Stokie

I loved Belize - everything about it. Also got to Costa Rica while I was there and to USA on a few occasions.

On your point. I think an element - perhaps only small - about the exasperation felt by some other societies towards the 'west', is the point we have both covered. We are a multiracial country, and those who are here will see wall to wall blanket coverage for an event like the Nice Bastille Day terrorist incident. I understand that coverage and am not criticising it. But we have a reasonably significant population from numerous countries who will have had more people killed in single incidents, that are not reported nearly as much. These might be in Africa, Asia, or even 'lesser' European nations. How do they feel about the apparent different attitudes.

I understand your point - you are not wrong. I just think that many people reading this will not know about Hurricane Mitch, which killed 20,000 people and damaged 70% of the infrastructure in 2 or 3 central American countries. And I think that's because where it happened is not as news worthy. It should be - its still an utter tragedy.
Hurricane Irma on 10:48 - Sep 6 with 7355 viewsYaffle

All bit 'Day After Tomorrow' but fascinating all the same. Irma registering on seismometers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/irma-hurricane-strength-categor
Hurricane Irma on 11:22 - Sep 6 with 7323 viewspowinswitch

Hurricane Irma on 08:18 - Sep 6 by StokieBlue

SB

Sorry Stokie - one other point. My daughter, who was one of those evacuated as a 5 year old, is flying to Miami today, as she is a BA air steward. Due to fly back Thursday night, so I will be glad when she has got back home. To Leamington Spa and her Birmingham City supporting fella. Who is fully in the 'Rembrandt' that his football loyalty needs to change.

Daughter will be home for the Bristol City game.
Hurricane Irma on 11:33 - Sep 6 with 7303 viewsYaffle

Hurricane Irma on 11:22 - Sep 6 by powinswitch

Sorry Stokie - one other point. My daughter, who was one of those evacuated as a 5 year old, is flying to Miami today, as she is a BA air steward. Due to fly back Thursday night, so I will be glad when she has got back home. To Leamington Spa and her Birmingham City supporting fella. Who is fully in the 'Rembrandt' that his football loyalty needs to change.

Daughter will be home for the Bristol City game.

The latest GFS model run now has a direct hit on Miami/Fort Lauderdale but not until late afternoon Sunday, so she will be home safe and sound and in plenty of time. Could still change course but the time frame should remain pretty constant.
Hurricane Irma on 11:51 - Sep 6 with 7284 viewsSteve_M

Good luck everyone who is in the path of this:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Hurricane Irma on 13:51 - Sep 6 with 7205 viewsYaffle

Saint Martin feeling the full force of Irma.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024