Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cambridge? 13:23 - Sep 7 with 9056 viewsMeadowlark

Off to Cambridge for the weekend with the Mrs. Been before obvs, but not for a while. Any must do's and any recommended pubs for good ale and/or decent grub?
Fitzwilliam is on the agenda already.
Cambridge? on 17:56 - Sep 7 with 2381 viewsrayman_10

Cambridge? on 17:08 - Sep 7 by Archer4721

Great place to steal a bike.

Spent 3 years living in Cambridge for university... a lad I lived with had 3 bikes stolen in 10 months... one they managed to cut through a steel chained motorcycle lock!

Btw, also recommend the Cambridge Brew House pub wise and the Oak bistro for food. Their Revolution is also a lot better than in Ipswich although that's not saying much!

Enjoy your trip.

COYB

Cambridge? on 18:03 - Sep 7 with 2374 viewsMeadowlark

Cambridge? on 17:56 - Sep 7 by rayman_10

Spent 3 years living in Cambridge for university... a lad I lived with had 3 bikes stolen in 10 months... one they managed to cut through a steel chained motorcycle lock!

Btw, also recommend the Cambridge Brew House pub wise and the Oak bistro for food. Their Revolution is also a lot better than in Ipswich although that's not saying much!

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks.
"Revolution?" What is it?
Cambridge? on 18:28 - Sep 7 with 2364 viewsTractorWood

From when we played Cambridge pre-season a year or so ago.

Have worked in Cambridge for a few years, great place with some amazing places to eat and drink in the sunshine. If you haven't been to Cambridge much or are looking for something different, I would recommend:

If driving avoid Newmarket road, it's always gridlock. Instead get off the A14 at the Science Park (j33, I think) and then go down Milton Road. Apart from Gatwick, parking around Chesterton, is your best bet. If you head towards the Haymakers pub, all parking should be free, and on not busy streets. You can then walk to the ground in 15 mins.

In terms of food and drink near the ground I'd recommend the Thai food and beer at the Wrestlers but it could be busy. I'd also recommend the Haymakers in Chesterton for good beer and their pizzas and calzones are amazing.

If you are looking for a nice outdoor area, go for the plough at Fen Ditton. It's not strictly that close but they have a lovely outdoor area with the River running through the beer garden. You could also try the Green Dragon, it's on the river, with some nice seating and close to the ground but the beer is just generic lager.

If your coming by train, the world is your oyster but I can also recommend:

- the Maypole, excellent range of beers, small but good outdoor area
- Cambridge Brew House, excellent range of beer. Especially lagers for the heat. Painfully trendy though.
- Grain and Hop store. Best Greene King pub around (not saying much I know). Loads of beers from different breweries and centrally located on Parker's piece
- Pint shop, a dozen great beers and 40+ gins.
- Smokeworks. BBQ food, it's unreal. Can't book, just rock up. I can't emphasise enough how good it is.
- Riverbar grill. Steaks are excellent and their cocktail map will ruin your sense of direction. New York Tart is a fan favourite. They have a roof terrace at the Varsity hotel next door.
- The Punters. Nice pub in a quiet location in the Northish of Cambridge
- De Luca. Italian food near the station.
- Cafe Sicilia. Coffee shop near the station on Regent Street. Coffee is unreal.
- Cambridge and St John's chophouses both very good value
- Millworks is a good meal too
[Post edited 7 Sep 2017 18:29]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Cambridge? on 19:59 - Sep 7 with 2331 viewsBurwell_Blue

Cambridge? on 18:03 - Sep 7 by Meadowlark

Thanks.
"Revolution?" What is it?

Vodka Revolution. To be avoided by anyone over 22
Cambridge? on 20:36 - Sep 7 with 2309 viewsMeadowlark

Cambridge? on 18:28 - Sep 7 by TractorWood

From when we played Cambridge pre-season a year or so ago.

Have worked in Cambridge for a few years, great place with some amazing places to eat and drink in the sunshine. If you haven't been to Cambridge much or are looking for something different, I would recommend:

If driving avoid Newmarket road, it's always gridlock. Instead get off the A14 at the Science Park (j33, I think) and then go down Milton Road. Apart from Gatwick, parking around Chesterton, is your best bet. If you head towards the Haymakers pub, all parking should be free, and on not busy streets. You can then walk to the ground in 15 mins.

In terms of food and drink near the ground I'd recommend the Thai food and beer at the Wrestlers but it could be busy. I'd also recommend the Haymakers in Chesterton for good beer and their pizzas and calzones are amazing.

If you are looking for a nice outdoor area, go for the plough at Fen Ditton. It's not strictly that close but they have a lovely outdoor area with the River running through the beer garden. You could also try the Green Dragon, it's on the river, with some nice seating and close to the ground but the beer is just generic lager.

If your coming by train, the world is your oyster but I can also recommend:

- the Maypole, excellent range of beers, small but good outdoor area
- Cambridge Brew House, excellent range of beer. Especially lagers for the heat. Painfully trendy though.
- Grain and Hop store. Best Greene King pub around (not saying much I know). Loads of beers from different breweries and centrally located on Parker's piece
- Pint shop, a dozen great beers and 40+ gins.
- Smokeworks. BBQ food, it's unreal. Can't book, just rock up. I can't emphasise enough how good it is.
- Riverbar grill. Steaks are excellent and their cocktail map will ruin your sense of direction. New York Tart is a fan favourite. They have a roof terrace at the Varsity hotel next door.
- The Punters. Nice pub in a quiet location in the Northish of Cambridge
- De Luca. Italian food near the station.
- Cafe Sicilia. Coffee shop near the station on Regent Street. Coffee is unreal.
- Cambridge and St John's chophouses both very good value
- Millworks is a good meal too
[Post edited 7 Sep 2017 18:29]

Many thanks. Plenty of good tips there. Staying out near Trumpington, hence taking our bikes to get into the city and back.
Looking forward to it, but weather doesn't look too good!
Cambridge? on 22:12 - Sep 7 with 2280 viewsBurwell_Blue

Cambridge? on 20:36 - Sep 7 by Meadowlark

Many thanks. Plenty of good tips there. Staying out near Trumpington, hence taking our bikes to get into the city and back.
Looking forward to it, but weather doesn't look too good!

Then book yourselves in to one of the three great restaurants in the nearby village of Grantchester for Sunday lunch. The Green man was always good as is the Red Lion. You can take a walk by the river before or after to take in the great views.

Red Lion had Punk IPA on draft last time I was in.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2017 22:13]
Cambridge? on 12:13 - Sep 8 with 2197 viewsTractorWood

Cambridge? on 22:12 - Sep 7 by Burwell_Blue

Then book yourselves in to one of the three great restaurants in the nearby village of Grantchester for Sunday lunch. The Green man was always good as is the Red Lion. You can take a walk by the river before or after to take in the great views.

Red Lion had Punk IPA on draft last time I was in.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2017 22:13]

Have you been to Il Piccolo Mondo in Bottisham? It's meant amazing.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Cambridge? on 12:28 - Sep 8 with 2188 viewsBurwell_Blue

Cambridge? on 12:13 - Sep 8 by TractorWood

I have a table booked for few weeks time as it goes. I drive past there regularly and the car park is always full. I'm expecting good things.
Login to get fewer ads

Cambridge? on 12:49 - Sep 8 with 2178 viewsBLUEBEAT

Cambridge? on 12:13 - Sep 8 by TractorWood

Unlike the Missing Sock, which is very odd. Very odd indeed.

Poll: ACID, FUNK, ACID FUNK?

Cambridge? on 13:05 - Sep 8 with 2175 viewsBurwell_Blue

Cambridge? on 12:49 - Sep 8 by BLUEBEAT

Unlike the Missing Sock, which is very odd. Very odd indeed.

Hippies and Lesbians in that place. Christ knows what goes on behind close doors.
Cambridge? on 13:24 - Sep 8 with 2162 viewsWeWereZombies

Cambridge? on 13:05 - Sep 8 by Burwell_Blue

Hippies and Lesbians in that place. Christ knows what goes on behind close doors.

Didn't know about this place - that's my night out sorted next time I pass through Cambridge...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Cambridge? on 16:34 - Sep 8 with 2138 viewsjas0999

Breakfast/light lunch - Jamaica Blue is pretty good, but a bit pricey.

Haven't been for years, but Browns used to be the in place.

Lots of the liipttle side streets have some good places to eat. Don't remember all the names though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024