Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As much as Owen Jones can be annoying 14:41 - Sep 21 with 13741 viewshype313

I actually found this interview with Campbell quite interesting

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 14:42 - Sep 21 with 9383 viewsSuperfrans

Two blokes who are torn between hating and admiring each other. Fascinating interview.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 14:48 - Sep 21 with 9360 viewsGlasgowBlue

This clip makes me laugh.

Owen Jones doing his best David Brent impression.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 14:52 - Sep 21 with 9351 viewsStokieBlue

One of the worst commentators out there.

Flip flops his views depending on what he thinks is popular. Used to hate Corbyn and was anti-EU and now he loves Corbyn and brexit is the worst thing that has ever happened. He jumps on every bandwagon going.

As for the video, I'll see if I can watch some later on.

SB
[Post edited 21 Sep 2017 15:16]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 16:28 - Sep 21 with 9258 viewsMarcFowler

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 14:52 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

Flip flops his views depending on what he thinks is popular. Used to hate Corbyn and was anti-EU and now he loves Corbyn and brexit is the worst thing that has ever happened. He jumps on every bandwagon going.

SB

I think you'll find he campaigned for Corbyn, then thought that his polling meant he should go as leader to avoid an electoral beating, but then when Corbyn performed well, he decided to change back to his original position since he can see that they weren't looking at a trouncing.

And on the EU, I can't speak for him and I don't think I've heard his thoughts on it really, but I would also say I was anti-EU in that there are a whole lot of problems with it, but, I think Brexit is a terrible idea and I'd definitely sooner we stay in. Maybe he agrees with that.

Marc Fowler

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 16:46 - Sep 21 with 9232 viewsSuperfrans

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 14:52 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

SB

I understand that lots of people find him annoying. But that's not true.

He voiced his opinion that Corbyn was unelectable (who didn't?) and has since admitted he was wrong (as most have) and that he actually is - and is now getting behind him.

Changing your mind and admitting you were wrong isn't hypocrisy.

And, it is possible to believe that the EU is terribly wasteful and needs reforming, while at the same time believing Brexit is nuts. Again, that's not hypocrisy.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2017 16:47]

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 16:48 - Sep 21 with 9211 viewsGlasgowBlue

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 16:28 - Sep 21 by MarcFowler

I think you'll find he campaigned for Corbyn, then thought that his polling meant he should go as leader to avoid an electoral beating, but then when Corbyn performed well, he decided to change back to his original position since he can see that they weren't looking at a trouncing.

And on the EU, I can't speak for him and I don't think I've heard his thoughts on it really, but I would also say I was anti-EU in that there are a whole lot of problems with it, but, I think Brexit is a terrible idea and I'd definitely sooner we stay in. Maybe he agrees with that.

He flipped flopped big time on Corbyn.

“Jeremy Corbyn, a person who will never win a British general election… I know him personally and I know he never wanted to be leader; It was presented as a sense of obligation. He never anticipated this result and now leads the party without having any experience.” (Contexto y Accion, November 2016)

“The Left has failed badly. I’d find it hard to vote for Corbyn… They have made lots of bad mistakes. There’s been a lack of strategy, communication, vision.” (Evening Standard, February 2017)

“Since the by-election rout, Corbyn has made it clear he isn’t going anywhere without even offering the vaguest outlines about how to turn it around. That isn’t good enough: again, consider the stakes. Both he and his team have to think hard. If Corbyn decides he is unable to confront the multiple existential crises enveloping Labour, then an agreement should be struck where he can stand down…” (Guardian, March 2017)

“My passionate and sincere view is Jeremy Corbyn should stand down as soon as possible in exchange for another left-wing MP being allowed to stand on for leadership in his place: all to stop both Labour and the left imploding, which is what is currently on the cards.” (Medium, March 2017)

“Yes, it’s true that Labour has won all its by-elections since Jeremy Corbyn became leader, and increased majorities. But in his first year, the picture was the same with Ed Miliband. Neither did Corbyn do as badly in the local elections as was predicted. But Labour still lost seats – unprecedented for an the main opposition party for decades …” (Medium, July 2016)

Corbyn’s acceptance speech – his first attempt to address the country – lacked coherence and had no core message to connect to people outside of the left’s bubble. He then disappeared for several days (with notable exceptions like walking in silence as a reporter followed him) while the press (inevitably) viciously attacked him, except to turn up to a war memorial and fail to sing the national anthem.” (Medium, March 2017)

“I’m somebody who campaigned for Corbyn, I’m a left-wing journalist. But I’m genuinely not clear on the policies being offered. It seems as though Ed Miliband presented his policies as less left-wing than they actually were, and now the current leadership presents them as more left-wing than they actually are.” (Medium, July 2016)

“When I asked Jeremy Corbyn in my recent interview what his strategy was, he came up with some sensible starting points… The problem is – that’s the first I’ve heard of it… There’s no point having a vision unless it is repeated ad infinitum, rather than being offered after being prompted: it will go over everyone’s head.“(Medium, July 2016)

“Most people don’t give a toss about politics on an every day basis. A bad image of a new politician at an early stage is tough to shift.” (Twitter, September 2015)

“As Jeremy Corbyn is surrounded by cheering crowds, Labour generally, and the left specifically, are teetering on the edge of looming calamity.” (Medium, July 2016)

Once Corbyn lost the election better than expected he's tried to suck up to him again.

As for his views on the EU.

Owen Jones 2015: “The left must now campaign to leave the EU”.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/14/left-reject-eu-greece-euro

Iron Lion Zion

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 16:50 - Sep 21 with 9215 viewschicoazul

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 14:48 - Sep 21 by GlasgowBlue

Hahahaha that's hilarious (and probably staged)

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 16:52 - Sep 21 with 9205 viewsDyland

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 16:46 - Sep 21 by Superfrans

He voiced his opinion that Corbyn was unelectable (who didn't?) and has since admitted he was wrong (as most have) and that he actually is - and is now getting behind him.

And, it is possible to believe that the EU is terribly wasteful and needs reforming, while at the same time believing Brexit is nuts. Again, that's not hypocrisy.

Indeed.

The fact the EU is sh1t in certain/many regards doesn't mean the alternative will be less sh1t (for many, many people).

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 16:53 - Sep 21 with 9201 viewsvapour_trail

Very good. Definitely scripted though.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:02 - Sep 21 with 9183 viewsSuperfrans

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 16:48 - Sep 21 by GlasgowBlue

He flipped flopped big time on Corbyn.

“Jeremy Corbyn, a person who will never win a British general election… I know him personally and I know he never wanted to be leader; It was presented as a sense of obligation. He never anticipated this result and now leads the party without having any experience.” (Contexto y Accion, November 2016)

“The Left has failed badly. I’d find it hard to vote for Corbyn… They have made lots of bad mistakes. There’s been a lack of strategy, communication, vision.” (Evening Standard, February 2017)

“Since the by-election rout, Corbyn has made it clear he isn’t going anywhere without even offering the vaguest outlines about how to turn it around. That isn’t good enough: again, consider the stakes. Both he and his team have to think hard. If Corbyn decides he is unable to confront the multiple existential crises enveloping Labour, then an agreement should be struck where he can stand down…” (Guardian, March 2017)

“My passionate and sincere view is Jeremy Corbyn should stand down as soon as possible in exchange for another left-wing MP being allowed to stand on for leadership in his place: all to stop both Labour and the left imploding, which is what is currently on the cards.” (Medium, March 2017)

“Yes, it’s true that Labour has won all its by-elections since Jeremy Corbyn became leader, and increased majorities. But in his first year, the picture was the same with Ed Miliband. Neither did Corbyn do as badly in the local elections as was predicted. But Labour still lost seats – unprecedented for an the main opposition party for decades …” (Medium, July 2016)

Corbyn’s acceptance speech – his first attempt to address the country – lacked coherence and had no core message to connect to people outside of the left’s bubble. He then disappeared for several days (with notable exceptions like walking in silence as a reporter followed him) while the press (inevitably) viciously attacked him, except to turn up to a war memorial and fail to sing the national anthem.” (Medium, March 2017)

“I’m somebody who campaigned for Corbyn, I’m a left-wing journalist. But I’m genuinely not clear on the policies being offered. It seems as though Ed Miliband presented his policies as less left-wing than they actually were, and now the current leadership presents them as more left-wing than they actually are.” (Medium, July 2016)

“When I asked Jeremy Corbyn in my recent interview what his strategy was, he came up with some sensible starting points… The problem is – that’s the first I’ve heard of it… There’s no point having a vision unless it is repeated ad infinitum, rather than being offered after being prompted: it will go over everyone’s head.“(Medium, July 2016)

“Most people don’t give a toss about politics on an every day basis. A bad image of a new politician at an early stage is tough to shift.” (Twitter, September 2015)

“As Jeremy Corbyn is surrounded by cheering crowds, Labour generally, and the left specifically, are teetering on the edge of looming calamity.” (Medium, July 2016)

Once Corbyn lost the election better than expected he's tried to suck up to him again.

As for his views on the EU.

Owen Jones 2015: “The left must now campaign to leave the EU”.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/14/left-reject-eu-greece-euro

You could sum all of that up in four words.

He changed his mind.

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:02 - Sep 21 with 9183 viewsStokieBlue

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 16:46 - Sep 21 by Superfrans

Well to be fair, you agree with him so you would look at it that way. You also take the counter view to me in every thread for some reason.

However it's not "untrue".

Owen Jones in 2015 saying that the left must put EU withdrawl on the table and ranting about large corporations. He now says leaving the EU is a disaster for the UK and for large corporations. He wants to have a "Lexit" campaign and own the process. In the last paragraph he explicitly says that the Lexit campaign should be for leaving the EU and not reforming the EU like Syriza and Podemos. Basically the complete opposite to what you've said in your post and far more than changing your mind - it's flipping to the popularist viewpoint as I said in my post.

His anti-Corbyn articles/comments:

https://order-order.com/2017/06/12/10-times-owen-jones-betrayed-corbyn/

He may have changed his mind now but even up until the end of Q1 this year he was writing bad things about him. He's swung behind popular opinion again. You can call it changing your mind but how is that much different to flip-flopping behind whatever is popular at the time which he has done multiple times.

SB

Edit - GB beat me to it with even the same EU link.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2017 17:03]

on 17:06 - Sep 21 with 9159 views_

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:09 - Sep 21 with 9159 viewsStokieBlue

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:02 - Sep 21 by Superfrans

He changed his mind.

Have you read the EU article?

He has more than changed his mind - he was advocating Lexit and not reform.

Would you say he changed his mind to follow popular opinion or is that just a coincidence the two happen to be the same?

SB

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:13 - Sep 21 with 9151 viewsSuperfrans

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:02 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

Well to be fair, you agree with him so you would look at it that way. You also take the counter view to me in every thread for some reason.

However it's not "untrue".

Owen Jones in 2015 saying that the left must put EU withdrawl on the table and ranting about large corporations. He now says leaving the EU is a disaster for the UK and for large corporations. He wants to have a "Lexit" campaign and own the process. In the last paragraph he explicitly says that the Lexit campaign should be for leaving the EU and not reforming the EU like Syriza and Podemos. Basically the complete opposite to what you've said in your post and far more than changing your mind - it's flipping to the popularist viewpoint as I said in my post.

His anti-Corbyn articles/comments:

https://order-order.com/2017/06/12/10-times-owen-jones-betrayed-corbyn/

He may have changed his mind now but even up until the end of Q1 this year he was writing bad things about him. He's swung behind popular opinion again. You can call it changing your mind but how is that much different to flip-flopping behind whatever is popular at the time which he has done multiple times.

SB

Edit - GB beat me to it with even the same EU link.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2017 17:03]

Blimey. Sorry for not agreeing with you on a public forum...

I don't agree with him on everything, far from it.
I do think he's an interesting political voice. And I do like how he winds up those on the right.
And his Agitpod podcast with Ellie Mae O'Hagen is a good listen. But I don't agree with everything she says either.
And I did think Corbyn was unelectable, but am now not so sure. He's not my first choice as Labour leader tho.

The thing that both you and GB are missing about Corbyn is that he has proved many many people wrong. Changing your mind, taking your hat off to Corbyn and saying,"You know, I thought you were a liability, but you did really well in the GE, and deserve credit for it" is not hypocrisy, it's changing your mind.

And that's what debate, discussion and discourse is all about, isn't it?

If you don't recognise that, I'm not sure what you're doing positing your views on a public forum.

Have you never read something on here and thought, "You know, s/he's got a point," and realised that it might have changed your mind? I know I have.

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:16 - Sep 21 with 9141 viewsSuperfrans

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:09 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

Have you read the EU article?

He has more than changed his mind - he was advocating Lexit and not reform.

Would you say he changed his mind to follow popular opinion or is that just a coincidence the two happen to be the same?

SB

No, I haven't read the whole EU article. I'm at work, so haven't had time. I'll give it a look.

From all that I've seen on Jones, he doesn't seem someone who selects his views based on whatever happens to be fashionable.

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:30 - Sep 21 with 9115 viewsStokieBlue

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:13 - Sep 21 by Superfrans

Blimey. Sorry for not agreeing with you on a public forum...

I don't agree with him on everything, far from it.
I do think he's an interesting political voice. And I do like how he winds up those on the right.
And his Agitpod podcast with Ellie Mae O'Hagen is a good listen. But I don't agree with everything she says either.
And I did think Corbyn was unelectable, but am now not so sure. He's not my first choice as Labour leader tho.

The thing that both you and GB are missing about Corbyn is that he has proved many many people wrong. Changing your mind, taking your hat off to Corbyn and saying,"You know, I thought you were a liability, but you did really well in the GE, and deserve credit for it" is not hypocrisy, it's changing your mind.

And that's what debate, discussion and discourse is all about, isn't it?

If you don't recognise that, I'm not sure what you're doing positing your views on a public forum.

Have you never read something on here and thought, "You know, s/he's got a point," and realised that it might have changed your mind? I know I have.

I didn't say you had to agree with me, calm down. I pointed out that you seem to seek out my posts specifically to disagree.

In actuality I'm sure it's just that we have different views on things.

Where have I said you can't debate? I've given my opinion, you disagree, I've presented evidence, its a debate. I think he flips with the trend, you say it's changing his mind.

Let's see what you think when you've read his Lexit article.

SB

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:35 - Sep 21 with 9105 viewsBOjK

"What, like Iraq?"

I don't mind him. He's wrong on loads of stuff, but earnest and well meaning, but in this he does come across as an entitled teenager. Anyone else arriving late would apologise, but instead he displaces his embarrassment into aggression and it doesn't look good.

Self-awareness doesn't seem to be among his attributes.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:37 - Sep 21 with 9096 viewsvapour_trail

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:35 - Sep 21 by BOjK

"What, like Iraq?"

I don't mind him. He's wrong on loads of stuff, but earnest and well meaning, but in this he does come across as an entitled teenager. Anyone else arriving late would apologise, but instead he displaces his embarrassment into aggression and it doesn't look good.

He means there was no plan for Iraq.

And by the way,

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:41 - Sep 21 with 9086 viewsStokieBlue

"What, like Iraq?"

It's not a bad as his Sky News interview where he stormed off.

SB

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:57 - Sep 21 with 9056 viewsGlasgowBlue

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:02 - Sep 21 by Superfrans

He changed his mind.

He seems to do this a lot.

Owen Jones 2016

“a stunning victory for all anti-austerity forces… will help shift the balance of power in Europe”

“it is not surprising our anti-austerity left movement is emerging within Labour”

“the SNP are carving out the clear progressive message that should belong to Labour: anti-austerity”

“Voters have defected en masse to a party… with a populist anti-austerity message”

Owen Jones 2017

“Labour has to abandon anti-austerity — a term that has never really resonated with the public

Although he may well have changed his mind again since the election
[Post edited 21 Sep 2017 17:59]

Iron Lion Zion

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:59 - Sep 21 with 9056 viewsLankHenners

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:41 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

It's not a bad as his Sky News interview where he stormed off.

SB

I thought that was one of his better moments - the two presenters kept shutting him down and refused to acknowledge his point on the Orlando shootings which covered a specific, valid, issue very close to his heart which they brushed aside under a more general umbrella.

He did put on his whingy child persona but felt him getting up and leaving showed the pair up as being the fools more than him.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 18:15 - Sep 21 with 9028 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

"What, like Iraq?"

Have you seen the state of his eyes? Drugged up (literally) to the eyeballs is my guess. Not surprising that he's short tempered and misguided
As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 18:18 - Sep 21 with 9017 viewsGlasgowBlue

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 17:57 - Sep 21 by GlasgowBlue

He seems to do this a lot.

Owen Jones 2016

“a stunning victory for all anti-austerity forces… will help shift the balance of power in Europe”

“it is not surprising our anti-austerity left movement is emerging within Labour”

“the SNP are carving out the clear progressive message that should belong to Labour: anti-austerity”

“Voters have defected en masse to a party… with a populist anti-austerity message”

Owen Jones 2017

“Labour has to abandon anti-austerity — a term that has never really resonated with the public

Although he may well have changed his mind again since the election
[Post edited 21 Sep 2017 17:59]

And another.

“There is no defence for any support for the IRA whatsoever. Apologising for it was absolutely the right thing to do.”

VS

“I militarily support the IRA against the British State”

Which one is it Owen?

Iron Lion Zion

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 18:51 - Sep 21 with 8989 viewsDanTheMan

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 18:18 - Sep 21 by GlasgowBlue

And another.

“There is no defence for any support for the IRA whatsoever. Apologising for it was absolutely the right thing to do.”

VS

“I militarily support the IRA against the British State”

Which one is it Owen?

I mean, he was 15 when he wrote that second one. I think we might be able to let him off.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 19:22 - Sep 21 with 8952 viewsGlasgowBlue

As much as Owen Jones can be annoying on 18:51 - Sep 21 by DanTheMan

I mean, he was 15 when he wrote that second one. I think we might be able to let him off.

He was actually 16. The same age that he has been campaigning to reduce the right to vote.

Although I'll be honest with you. I was 16 once and it never occurred to me to support an organisation that was murdering innocent British men, women and children by planting bombs in shopping centres and pubs.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2017 19:40]

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024