Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How can that be a penalty? (n/t) 20:58 - Nov 9 with 4702 viewsnoggin

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 21:02 - Nov 9 with 4696 viewsportmanking

Appalling refereeing decision for such a high profile game. He wasn't even on the right side to make the call... it hit his back FFS.
How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 21:03 - Nov 9 with 4689 viewshammo56

Absolute joke of a decision.
How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 21:07 - Nov 9 with 4670 viewsTractorWood

Some refs seem to have an ability to find a decision where there simply isn't one to be made.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 21:12 - Nov 9 with 4650 viewsmparkyn

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 21:07 - Nov 9 by TractorWood

Some refs seem to have an ability to find a decision where there simply isn't one to be made.

The assistant could have helped and said no

Ealing Blue

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 21:12 - Nov 9 with 4650 viewsclive_baker

If Switzerland based FIFA didn’t have such a squeaky clean record historically you might be forgiven for thinking the ref’s done a job on Ireland there.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 21:25 - Nov 9 with 4605 viewsTractorWood

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 21:12 - Nov 9 by clive_baker

If Switzerland based FIFA didn’t have such a squeaky clean record historically you might be forgiven for thinking the ref’s done a job on Ireland there.

It does cross the mind. The ref has genuinely given Switzerland everything. That said Northern Ireland haven't really created anything.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2017 21:26]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 21:43 - Nov 9 with 4545 viewsJ2BLUE

0-0 wouldn't have been a terrible result for NI. They've been screwed here.

I'd love them to go there and win 2-0

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 21:44 - Nov 9 with 4542 viewssoupytwist

Colin Murray's certainly letting the world know how he feels on 5 Live. Good on him.
Login to get fewer ads

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 22:02 - Nov 9 with 4495 viewsCurrie10

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 21:02 - Nov 9 by portmanking

Appalling refereeing decision for such a high profile game. He wasn't even on the right side to make the call... it hit his back FFS.

Ref must have backed over 0.5 goals and realised he was in trouble.

Not seen it however would much prefer the Swiss there than N.Ireland.
How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 22:07 - Nov 9 with 4490 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 21:43 - Nov 9 by J2BLUE

0-0 wouldn't have been a terrible result for NI. They've been screwed here.

I'd love them to go there and win 2-0

I thought Switzerland were superb though it's got to be said

The Irish had one chance to get through and that involved them leading at the halfway point. There's not a hope in hell of them going to Basel and getting a result.

3-0 Sunday. 4-0 on aggregates

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 22:14 - Nov 9 with 4467 viewsJ2BLUE

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 22:07 - Nov 9 by The_Romford_Blue

The Irish had one chance to get through and that involved them leading at the halfway point. There's not a hope in hell of them going to Basel and getting a result.

You're probably right. 0-0 would have meant the Swiss needed to attack and NI could have sat back. Now NI need the goal and will have to go for it. Switzerland should put several past them. The ref has really screwed them.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 22:45 - Nov 9 with 4419 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 22:14 - Nov 9 by J2BLUE

You're probably right. 0-0 would have meant the Swiss needed to attack and NI could have sat back. Now NI need the goal and will have to go for it. Switzerland should put several past them. The ref has really screwed them.

Indeed - shocker of a decision

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 08:07 - Nov 10 with 4252 viewsWickets

Unbelievable reff. Are bungs alive and kicking today?
How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 09:36 - Nov 10 with 4184 viewsstrikalite

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 08:07 - Nov 10 by Wickets

Unbelievable reff. Are bungs alive and kicking today?

It makes you wonder it really does, blasted at him from 5 yards to hit the back of his shoulder, no credible ref would give that sorry, with such a huge reward in going to Russia it makes you think something dodgy happened there...
How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 10:41 - Nov 10 with 4139 viewsHarryfromBath

That decision opened old wounds, even if it was the North which took the hit this time.

Irish international teams have been blighted by decisions like this, and not just the Thierry Henry handball. I still have vivid memories of a World Cup qualifier in the 1970's in Bulgaria (referenced in the article below) where the Republic team were mugged by Greek referee Nikos Zlatanos. I seldom get cross about things but this one still rankles....

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/hard-luck-and-daylight-robbery-26224892.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 11:28 - Nov 10 with 4107 viewsChrisJenks

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 22:07 - Nov 9 by The_Romford_Blue

We'll see ;)
How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 13:15 - Nov 10 with 4072 viewsEireannach_gorm

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 10:41 - Nov 10 by HarryfromBath

That decision opened old wounds, even if it was the North which took the hit this time.

Irish international teams have been blighted by decisions like this, and not just the Thierry Henry handball. I still have vivid memories of a World Cup qualifier in the 1970's in Bulgaria (referenced in the article below) where the Republic team were mugged by Greek referee Nikos Zlatanos. I seldom get cross about things but this one still rankles....

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/hard-luck-and-daylight-robbery-26224892.

Mick McCarthy will relate to this penalty award. There were two hand ball penalties in this game ( second one was a joke ) which effectively knocked Ireland out of France WC98.

If you really want robbery, Belgium v RoI match in 1981 takes the biscuit. After disallowing a perfectly good Irish goal earlier in the game, this 88 minute goal was alowed to stand.

How can that be a penalty? (n/t) on 13:36 - Nov 10 with 4047 viewsTJS

Ridiculous penalty award.
The only thing I can think is that the ref thought it was going in so had directly prevented a goal or something.
Having said that the way some people are carrying on you would think Irish teams were the only ones on the receiving end of dodgy decisions over the years.
I'm sure they all laughed their ar@ses off at England when Maradona handballed in 86 and our equaliser against Germany was disallowed so my sympathy is limited.
Trying to actually score a goal might help.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024