Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I challenge you to find a better current team 11:26 - Mar 5 with 5646 viewsFinidiCentenary

That we have played in the last 10 years.

By that I mean a starting 11, that is as good now as the Leicester one we beat on 2 March 2013.

Kaspar Schmeichel - Premier League winner (£25m)
Richie De Laet - Picked up a medal and won promotion to Championship (£500k)
Wes Morgan - Premier League winning captain (£15m)
Michael Keane - England international that went to Everton for £25m (£25m)
Paul Konchesky - At Billericay now? (£0)
Ben Marshall - Millwall I believe? (500k)
Danny Drinkwater - Premier League winner, England international, Chelsea starter (£30m)
Andy King - Swansea (£5m)
Anthony Knockaert - Key player for 10th placed Brighton (£10m)
Harry Kane - One of the best strikers in the world (£150m)
Chris Wood - Big money signing for Burnley (£20m)

I've put what I'd expect them to cost nowadays. £281m.

That is an incredible side. You could make a case for other Leicester sides from just before promotion being similar but the inclusion of Wood and Keane who've gone on to be established Premier League players, Kane who is just phenomenal and the other title winners make that an incredible team in terms of potential.

So the Town team that beat them that day?

Henderson (£250k)
Stearman (£500k)
Chambers (£500k)
Smith (£250k)
Cresswell (£10m)
Edwards (£0)
Hyam (£250k)
N'Daw (£250k)
Martin (£250k)
Chopra (£0)
McGoldrick (£1m)

£12.25m (and that's being generous)

Only Cresswell is in the Premier League. The rest are at Championship or vanished into football obscurity. It just goes to show how quickly things can change in football. Imagine if, after we beat them, that we'd suggested they'd win the Premier League and several of those players would be worth £25m, £50m and even £100m in 5 years.

No matter how bleak things are, it does give hope that things can change. Not winning the Premier League, but at least promotion or even enjoyment!
[Post edited 5 Mar 2018 11:42]

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

I challenge you to find a better current team on 13:08 - Mar 5 with 5472 viewsJakeITFC

Your valuations of Schmeichel and Morgan are way out.
I challenge you to find a better current team on 13:11 - Mar 5 with 5458 viewsFinidiCentenary

I challenge you to find a better current team on 13:08 - Mar 5 by JakeITFC

Your valuations of Schmeichel and Morgan are way out.

On what basis? Pickford went for £30m. Schmeichel would easily attract £25 if Liverpool or someone made a move. He's a bit older but got plenty of time left.

Morgan would be about £15m when you look at the likes of what players much worse than him have moved for. I think you could easily make a case for Leicester getting £40m for the pair, however you wish to split it.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

I challenge you to find a better current team on 13:34 - Mar 5 with 5396 viewsJakeITFC

I challenge you to find a better current team on 13:11 - Mar 5 by FinidiCentenary

On what basis? Pickford went for £30m. Schmeichel would easily attract £25 if Liverpool or someone made a move. He's a bit older but got plenty of time left.

Morgan would be about £15m when you look at the likes of what players much worse than him have moved for. I think you could easily make a case for Leicester getting £40m for the pair, however you wish to split it.

Pickford is 8 years younger and was the third most expensive keeper of all time.

Wes Morgan is 34.
I challenge you to find a better current team on 14:55 - Mar 5 with 5267 viewsTomJamesLW

I feel like this perfectly highlights how difficult it is to rate how talented a players is.

In most cases, we think players are only as good as the team they play for.

No-one would ever have called Wes Morgan a top premier league defender, yet he's won the league, and I wouldn't say he's even improved as player.

Poll: What's more likely?

I challenge you to find a better current team on 15:32 - Mar 5 with 5194 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I challenge you to find a better current team on 13:11 - Mar 5 by FinidiCentenary

Schmeichel you could probably make half a case but still too high. Morgan at £15m...hahahahhahahahahaha

Struggle to argue with the point of the OP though - I did consider Arsenal but even their side probably pales against that one based on their ability today

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I challenge you to find a better current team on 15:48 - Mar 5 with 5156 viewsFinidiCentenary

I challenge you to find a better current team on 13:34 - Mar 5 by JakeITFC

Pickford is 8 years younger and was the third most expensive keeper of all time.

Wes Morgan is 34.

Apologies.

Thought he was about 30! Didn't realise he was that old.

I challenge you to find a better current team on 15:51 - Mar 5 with 5138 viewsFinidiCentenary

I challenge you to find a better current team on 14:55 - Mar 5 by TomJamesLW

I feel like this perfectly highlights how difficult it is to rate how talented a players is.

In most cases, we think players are only as good as the team they play for.

No-one would ever have called Wes Morgan a top premier league defender, yet he's won the league, and I wouldn't say he's even improved as player.

That's it. Look at Town of 5 years ago under Mick and we'd all say that we were much better than under Roy.

Then you consider Roy who had McAuley, who turned out to be a really good PL defender for years, Delaney, who looked decent in the PL for a season or two, Leadbitter who was outstanding in this division and looked okay for Boro in the PL, Walters, who was very good for Stoke for a number of seasons.

Serves to highlight there isn't much between mid Premier League players and mid Championship players and that what they have around them and the manager they have in charge is a huge part of what happens in their careers.

on 15:55 - Mar 5 with 5122 views_

Login to get fewer ads

I challenge you to find a better current team on 16:00 - Mar 5 with 5106 viewsFinidiCentenary

on 15:55 - Mar 5 by _

Yeah alright lol. I thought he was about 30 and not 34!

on 16:03 - Mar 5 with 5090 views_

I challenge you to find a better current team on 16:00 - Mar 5 by FinidiCentenary

Yeah alright lol. I thought he was about 30 and not 34!

I challenge you to find a better current team on 16:24 - Mar 5 with 5028 viewssolemio

I don't think much of his parents' taste in choosing his middle name.
I challenge you to find a better current team on 16:46 - Mar 5 with 4982 viewschicoazul

This is actually a very interesting post. Amazing to think how far Kane in particular has come but Keane Drinkwater and Chris Wood too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I challenge you to find a better current team on 17:09 - Mar 5 with 4920 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

on 16:03 - Mar 5 by _

Premier League winning captain..

Even now, it doesn't feel like comfortable statement to make.
on 17:11 - Mar 5 with 4913 views_

I challenge you to find a better current team on 17:09 - Mar 5 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Premier League winning captain..

Even now, it doesn't feel like comfortable statement to make.

I challenge you to find a better current team on 17:38 - Mar 5 with 4846 viewskizaitfc

Think Arsenal in the cup trumps that one, sorry to ruin all your hard work there

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

I challenge you to find a better current team on 18:05 - Mar 5 with 4790 viewspoppiesman

Wasn't it Wes Morgan that the Leicester manager complained after the game that Michael Chopra bullied him all game.
I still in shock that Leicester won the title with Morgan as a main defender!
I challenge you to find a better current team on 18:48 - Mar 5 with 4708 viewsFinidiCentenary

I challenge you to find a better current team on 17:38 - Mar 5 by kizaitfc

Think Arsenal in the cup trumps that one, sorry to ruin all your hard work there

That’s a stronger side than the Arsenal one we faced I’d say. Not much in it.

I challenge you to find a better current team on 19:02 - Mar 5 with 4664 viewsCoco

I challenge you to find a better current team on 18:48 - Mar 5 by FinidiCentenary

That’s a stronger side than the Arsenal one we faced I’d say. Not much in it.

Arsenal
53 Szczesny
06 Koscielny
20 Djourou
27 Eboue
28 Gibbs
04 Fabregas
14 Walcott
15 Denilson
19 Wilshere (A Song 68)
23 Arshavin (Vela 80)
52 Bendtner (Chamakh 68)

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

I challenge you to find a better current team on 19:05 - Mar 5 with 4658 viewsDennyx4

I know others have said about Morgan & Scmeichel valuations....

But to counter that I think Knockaert would be worth more than £10m now, and I have always rated Ben Marshall - if we could sign him for £500k think that would be a good deal.
I challenge you to find a better current team on 21:09 - Mar 5 with 4531 viewsCurrie10

I challenge you to find a better current team on 19:05 - Mar 5 by Dennyx4

I know others have said about Morgan & Scmeichel valuations....

But to counter that I think Knockaert would be worth more than £10m now, and I have always rated Ben Marshall - if we could sign him for £500k think that would be a good deal.

Going to say, if the poster thinks Antony Knockaert would be available for £10 mill........

Still annoyed to this day he changed his mind over the agreed loan to us - would have been just the ticket 14/15.
I challenge you to find a better current team on 21:26 - Mar 5 with 4493 viewsSuperblue95

With all these comments on the valuations listed here I am stunned nobody has commented on the fact that Lee Martin and Luke Hyam have been valued at 250K each. You couldn't even pay most clubs 250K to take Lee Bloody Martin off your hands 😂

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

I challenge you to find a better current team on 21:32 - Mar 5 with 4470 viewsgood_at_COD

Wes Morgan is David McGoldrick’s brother-in-law. Well, sort of.

Giggsy

I challenge you to find a better current team on 07:06 - Mar 6 with 4277 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I challenge you to find a better current team on 21:26 - Mar 5 by Superblue95

With all these comments on the valuations listed here I am stunned nobody has commented on the fact that Lee Martin and Luke Hyam have been valued at 250K each. You couldn't even pay most clubs 250K to take Lee Bloody Martin off your hands 😂

I didn’t even look at the Town ones...McGoldrick £1m 👀😂

I challenge you to find a better current team on 07:06 - Mar 6 with 4275 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I challenge you to find a better current team on 17:38 - Mar 5 by kizaitfc

It probably actually doesn’t

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024