Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another hat thrown in... 06:55 - Apr 6 with 4208 viewsVeryStableGenius

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/vvv-venlo-boss-maurice-steijn-on-ipswich-town-links-
Another hat thrown in... on 07:13 - Apr 6 with 4090 viewsZondervansTash

Good article and I like what he has done and achieved for current club - working on a tight budget, promoting youth players if they are good enough, finding cheap gems etc. Would much rather we go for someone like this than Pardew or McLaren. It would be exciting and if he can replicate at Ipswich what he has done over there it could be excellent given budget he would be working with and the excellent crop of youngsters we have coming through. A slight risk but with potential huge rewards, success and excitement along the way. It is a yes from me!
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 7:14]
Another hat thrown in... on 07:17 - Apr 6 with 4051 viewsBlueBadger

Another hat thrown in... on 07:13 - Apr 6 by ZondervansTash

Good article and I like what he has done and achieved for current club - working on a tight budget, promoting youth players if they are good enough, finding cheap gems etc. Would much rather we go for someone like this than Pardew or McLaren. It would be exciting and if he can replicate at Ipswich what he has done over there it could be excellent given budget he would be working with and the excellent crop of youngsters we have coming through. A slight risk but with potential huge rewards, success and excitement along the way. It is a yes from me!

I'd much rather we failed trying something different rather than doing so with yet another tired old lag at the helm.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Another hat thrown in... on 07:18 - Apr 6 with 4038 viewsSwailsey

He comes across very well and it would certainly be exciting!

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Another hat thrown in... on 07:19 - Apr 6 with 4037 viewsTractorCam

He obviously doesn't want to come out and say anything whilst he's still contracted to Venlo, but I sense he really wants this job, fingers crossed!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Another hat thrown in... on 07:20 - Apr 6 with 4022 viewsFreddies_Ears

Another hat thrown in... on 07:18 - Apr 6 by Swailsey

He comes across very well and it would certainly be exciting!

He gets my vote based on that article!
Another hat thrown in... on 07:23 - Apr 6 with 4006 viewsVeryStableGenius

I agree, although there is risk with this appointment, it would be an interesting change of direction for the club.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 7:24]
Another hat thrown in... on 07:25 - Apr 6 with 3993 viewsTIB

Aside from his promotion of youth and working on a shoestring budget, I think his commitment to a club and seeing plans through is a real plus factor. Last thing I want is a manager who will jump ship when another job comes up and a few of the names being linked to us I think follow that trend.

On another note, what’s with Steijn’s mate so keen on him coming to Ipswich?

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Another hat thrown in... on 07:26 - Apr 6 with 3988 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Another hat thrown in... on 07:17 - Apr 6 by BlueBadger

I'd much rather we failed trying something different rather than doing so with yet another tired old lag at the helm.

All very well but it’s Marcus Evans risk not yours or ours. This league requires experience otherwise or becomes a punt / gamble (his - MEs); compromise is a candidate with that who will also unify and excite the fans.....hence Mogga is the outstanding candidate.....

For every Wagner, there are at least 2 failed punts....

Go get him - Mogga as Burley said.....

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Login to get fewer ads

Another hat thrown in... on 07:38 - Apr 6 with 3928 viewsmarcus1642

Steijin and Mowbray, these are my choices. Unfortunately both are under contract which will be a major sticking point.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 7:41]
Another hat thrown in... on 07:43 - Apr 6 with 3890 viewsmarcus1642

#Be careful what you wish for.....
Another hat thrown in... on 07:44 - Apr 6 with 3876 viewschristiand

Come on down Alan Pardew!!!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Another hat thrown in... on 07:52 - Apr 6 with 3832 viewsHerbivore

He comes over well in that interview and it sounds like he'd be really keen on the job. Interesting, there could be something in the link after all.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Another hat thrown in... on 08:15 - Apr 6 with 3741 viewsBehindBlueEyes

Certainly an intriguing option. He's done a good job with VVV with a non-existant budget. I do like his comment “I am used to working with the lowest budgets. I don’t like it when I see managers constantly saying ‘we need to buy better players’. For me, the most important thing in my job is to make the players you have better players and to make a team.”

Things that could be levelled at MM, did he make a team? Yes definitely, the team spirit has always been strong. Did he make players better? I'd have to say no.

Only word of caution would be the history of Dutch managers in England. Not exactly taken the world by storm have they? Frank de Boer at Palace, Van Gaal boring Manure fans to death, the Marinus Dijkhuizen debacle at Brentford, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink starting well at Burton (with Clough's team) before failing at both QPR & Northampton, Ronald Koeman did well for a couple of years at Southampton before failing at Everton, Edgar Davids at Barnet etc etc.

Maybe Dutch managers/coaches just don't cut it in the English leagues?

Any thoughts?
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 8:16]

Blog: Kundai Benyu – The Golden Shot?

Another hat thrown in... on 08:20 - Apr 6 with 3702 viewsartsbossbeard

"working on a tight budget, promoting youth players if they are good enough, finding cheap gems etc"

Short memories, you lot. I, for one, can't wait 'til he turns our current crop of cloggers* into a Barca-esque, liquid football machine.

*not a slight on any ITFC player, simply a view on the current state of Div 2 footy.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Another hat thrown in... on 09:14 - Apr 6 with 3507 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Would be amazed if there is anything in this. This would be a massive risk and ME doesn’t strike me as somebody that will just take a wild punt.

I know nothing about him, so I’m not saying that he couldn’t do a good job, but there are plenty of known quantities out there that in my view ME is far more likely to turn to.

Poll: Our final position

Another hat thrown in... on 09:21 - Apr 6 with 3478 viewsPinewoodblue

Another hat thrown in... on 08:20 - Apr 6 by artsbossbeard

"working on a tight budget, promoting youth players if they are good enough, finding cheap gems etc"

Short memories, you lot. I, for one, can't wait 'til he turns our current crop of cloggers* into a Barca-esque, liquid football machine.

*not a slight on any ITFC player, simply a view on the current state of Div 2 footy.

Unless Marcus wants things to carry on as they are he needs to think outside the box and this is just the sort of appointment that could work.

It would however be better, in my opinion, if he had a director of football to report to so he could concentrate on the main task. Venlo really is a small club, 8,000 capacity stadium, so presumably easier to steer everyone in the same direction.

Doubt that Venlo has a sprinkling of players, coming through, considered good enough to represent their country, which is the hidden bonus for our next manager and he seems equipped to make the most of that.

Burley & Steijn for me, probably cost less in wage terms than currently being paid, which leaves the option of good bonuses for future acchievement.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 9:25]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Another hat thrown in... on 09:25 - Apr 6 with 3450 viewsCambonbleu

What's his style of football? I mean, that's the main criticism levelled at MM isn't it? So as good as working on a tight budget etc might be if the football is 'hoof it up to the big man up top' then what's the point?

Poll: How many Season Ticket holders will ITFC have next season?
Blog: Why All the Positivity?

Another hat thrown in... on 09:27 - Apr 6 with 3441 viewsfactual_blue

I'd be extremely dubious of a manager who wants the Ipswich job that much.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Another hat thrown in... on 09:30 - Apr 6 with 3424 viewsVeryStableGenius

Another hat thrown in... on 09:14 - Apr 6 by southnorfolkblue

Would be amazed if there is anything in this. This would be a massive risk and ME doesn’t strike me as somebody that will just take a wild punt.

I know nothing about him, so I’m not saying that he couldn’t do a good job, but there are plenty of known quantities out there that in my view ME is far more likely to turn to.

Agree. The question is also how much support would a young manager, such as Steijn get when in post. Milne needs to be replaced.

The way I think about it is what would be my gut reaction when the new appointment is announced - I have always loved our connection to Holland and would be very much looking forward to the new season under Steijn. Risky yes, but exciting...hell yes.
Another hat thrown in... on 10:02 - Apr 6 with 3355 viewsconnorscontract

Another hat thrown in... on 09:25 - Apr 6 by Cambonbleu

What's his style of football? I mean, that's the main criticism levelled at MM isn't it? So as good as working on a tight budget etc might be if the football is 'hoof it up to the big man up top' then what's the point?

If he could bring a half decent big man with him from Holland that would help.

Garner playing off a big man would be great. Waghorn putting in his excellent crosses and another brilliant loan with her from the Prem* on the other flank.

I don't mind mixing it up a bit. The worst thing about Mick has been the sitting on 1-nil leads when we had played well to get there and the opposition were there for the taking. Or the aimless punts to not big men up top. Or a broken Freddie Sears visibly wilting in front of us.

I don't know if Steijn could correct these faults, to be honest.

*This is now our birthright and I demand nothing less.
Another hat thrown in... on 10:18 - Apr 6 with 3315 viewsBehindBlueEyes

Another hat thrown in... on 10:02 - Apr 6 by connorscontract

If he could bring a half decent big man with him from Holland that would help.

Garner playing off a big man would be great. Waghorn putting in his excellent crosses and another brilliant loan with her from the Prem* on the other flank.

I don't mind mixing it up a bit. The worst thing about Mick has been the sitting on 1-nil leads when we had played well to get there and the opposition were there for the taking. Or the aimless punts to not big men up top. Or a broken Freddie Sears visibly wilting in front of us.

I don't know if Steijn could correct these faults, to be honest.

*This is now our birthright and I demand nothing less.

Lennart Thy is very much his target man, usually plays up front on his own but quickly supported from midfield. 7 goals & 5 assists in 28 games in the Eredivisie this season. On loan from Werder Bremen so not sure if we'd be able to sign him or not if Steijn was offered Town job.

Blog: Kundai Benyu – The Golden Shot?

Another hat thrown in... on 10:28 - Apr 6 with 3278 viewsPinewoodblue

Another hat thrown in... on 10:18 - Apr 6 by BehindBlueEyes

Lennart Thy is very much his target man, usually plays up front on his own but quickly supported from midfield. 7 goals & 5 assists in 28 games in the Eredivisie this season. On loan from Werder Bremen so not sure if we'd be able to sign him or not if Steijn was offered Town job.

He seems to have a wide range of contacts, they have a player on loan from Derby and in the past youngsters from Chelsea.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024