Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non fault car accidents - help, please! 12:58 - Oct 29 with 3188 viewsPortwoman

Has anyone on here ever used a Credit Hire Company to sort out vehicle repairs following a non-fault accident (such as I was involved in this morning)? Apparently it doesn't impact on your own insurance.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks.
Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 13:05 - Oct 29 with 2810 viewsclive_baker

Your insurance company should sort the repairs shouldn’t they? If you weren’t at fault I don’t see why you would consider having the car repaired anywhere other than your insurers recommended repairer.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 13:08 - Oct 29 with 2801 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I'd stay well away.

Why have your repairs carried out by a company that is lending you a replacement vehicle and charging the fault party for this. It's in their interest to take as long as possible to repair your car as they can get away with as they are profiting from the increased hire.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 13:38 - Oct 29 with 2728 viewsPortwoman

Thanks. Was trying to avoid paying excess premium while it was sorted but seems like probably not worth it. (Heard about them via the Citizens Advice website.)
Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 13:43 - Oct 29 with 2708 viewsElephantintheRoom

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 13:05 - Oct 29 by clive_baker

Your insurance company should sort the repairs shouldn’t they? If you weren’t at fault I don’t see why you would consider having the car repaired anywhere other than your insurers recommended repairer.

Ask them. I was contacted out of the blue by one after a bus went into the back of my car. I got a much higher-spec car as a replacement delivered to my door and the car repaired by a main dealer. No expense, no impact on my no claims bonus and a much better car for 3 weeks. Given the rip off nature of the insurance industry it was a win win

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 13:47 - Oct 29 with 2695 viewsStokieBlue

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 13:05 - Oct 29 by clive_baker

Not always that easy.

I walked out the other week to see a car against the front of mine with a bus smashed into the side of the other car. Police weren't that helpful, took my details but couldn't give me fault information at the time - they said get in touch.

Thus far I've left 4 messages and sent 4 emails, I even have badge numbers and thus far I've got nothing back. I need to know who was at fault (car or bus) and according to my insurers unless I can get the registration, name and confirmation that they accept responsibility then I have to pay the entire excess for the repairs. I MIGHT get it back in t a years time but maybe not.

Totally ridiculous, I was parked and not even there. I just came out to use the car to the scene of madness. Police totally unhelpful, insurers totally unhelpful and if I decide to get it fixed then I'm out of pocket as it stands.

Car still drivable but that's not the point, I expect it will be well over a grand to get it all fixed up.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 13:55 - Oct 29 with 2669 viewssparks

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 13:43 - Oct 29 by ElephantintheRoom

Ask them. I was contacted out of the blue by one after a bus went into the back of my car. I got a much higher-spec car as a replacement delivered to my door and the car repaired by a main dealer. No expense, no impact on my no claims bonus and a much better car for 3 weeks. Given the rip off nature of the insurance industry it was a win win

If you credit hire there is a real risk of ending up in court a year fown the line arguing about the cost and having your bank statements pored over.

Try calling the other sides insurers direct and inviting them to provide repairs and a replacement. Saves them a fortune. They are usualky very keen.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 14:19 - Oct 29 with 2621 viewsPortwoman

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 13:55 - Oct 29 by sparks

If you credit hire there is a real risk of ending up in court a year fown the line arguing about the cost and having your bank statements pored over.

Try calling the other sides insurers direct and inviting them to provide repairs and a replacement. Saves them a fortune. They are usualky very keen.

Thanks, Sparks. Some conflicting advice, but I think I'll do as you suggest and hope for the best. Very annoying that something that wasn't my fault could potentially cost a lot of money - either in repairs or increased insurance premium. And if I don't go through the insurance company, I'd be without a car for a few days. Grrrr!
Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 14:28 - Oct 29 with 2596 viewssparks

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 14:19 - Oct 29 by Portwoman

Thanks, Sparks. Some conflicting advice, but I think I'll do as you suggest and hope for the best. Very annoying that something that wasn't my fault could potentially cost a lot of money - either in repairs or increased insurance premium. And if I don't go through the insurance company, I'd be without a car for a few days. Grrrr!

Your insurers should give you the other insurers details and reference if you ask. Though they may be reluctant if they have a deal with the credit hire company they invite you to use...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Login to get fewer ads

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 14:30 - Oct 29 with 2592 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 13:08 - Oct 29 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I'd stay well away.

Why have your repairs carried out by a company that is lending you a replacement vehicle and charging the fault party for this. It's in their interest to take as long as possible to repair your car as they can get away with as they are profiting from the increased hire.

In practice that’s not how it works, because if the charge is excessive it will be challenged by the paying insurer.

It’s an absolute no brainier for the OP to take this particularly if the alternative is either bring without a car or having to pay to hire one. Credit hire companies have been around for years. Yes their charges can be challenged but that won’t affect the OP.

Poll: Our final position

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 14:32 - Oct 29 with 2583 viewsStokieBlue

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 13:47 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

Not always that easy.

I walked out the other week to see a car against the front of mine with a bus smashed into the side of the other car. Police weren't that helpful, took my details but couldn't give me fault information at the time - they said get in touch.

Thus far I've left 4 messages and sent 4 emails, I even have badge numbers and thus far I've got nothing back. I need to know who was at fault (car or bus) and according to my insurers unless I can get the registration, name and confirmation that they accept responsibility then I have to pay the entire excess for the repairs. I MIGHT get it back in t a years time but maybe not.

Totally ridiculous, I was parked and not even there. I just came out to use the car to the scene of madness. Police totally unhelpful, insurers totally unhelpful and if I decide to get it fixed then I'm out of pocket as it stands.

Car still drivable but that's not the point, I expect it will be well over a grand to get it all fixed up.

SB

Any advice on how I can get the police to actually reply to me even when I have the police incident number and the badges of both officers present (which they gave me).

SB

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 14:34 - Oct 29 with 2578 viewsclive_baker

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 14:30 - Oct 29 by southnorfolkblue

In practice that’s not how it works, because if the charge is excessive it will be challenged by the paying insurer.

It’s an absolute no brainier for the OP to take this particularly if the alternative is either bring without a car or having to pay to hire one. Credit hire companies have been around for years. Yes their charges can be challenged but that won’t affect the OP.

I wouldn’t have any hesitation getting a hire car from one of these firms and having it billed to the other party’s insurance. I’ve done it in the past, it was Enterprise in Ipswich who had the contract, they called me up within about half an hour of the accident and had me sorted out in a lovely car. Took it back 10 days later or so when mine was repaired and the tab was all picked up by the at fault drivers insurance.

That’s different to them sorting the repairs out though is it not? Unless I’m missing something that’s what the OP suggested. I’m not sure why that would be necessary. Your insurance company should manage that with the at fault insurer from my experience.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2018 14:35]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 14:42 - Oct 29 with 2559 viewsPinewoodblue

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 14:34 - Oct 29 by clive_baker

I wouldn’t have any hesitation getting a hire car from one of these firms and having it billed to the other party’s insurance. I’ve done it in the past, it was Enterprise in Ipswich who had the contract, they called me up within about half an hour of the accident and had me sorted out in a lovely car. Took it back 10 days later or so when mine was repaired and the tab was all picked up by the at fault drivers insurance.

That’s different to them sorting the repairs out though is it not? Unless I’m missing something that’s what the OP suggested. I’m not sure why that would be necessary. Your insurance company should manage that with the at fault insurer from my experience.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2018 14:35]

Agree 100% nothing wrong with using a credit hire company to supply you with a hire car BUT why on earth would you want them to arrange, and profit, from the repairs to your vehicle.

It might be worthwhile the OP asking her own insurers if they will provide a car and if they say they cannot help the ask the insurer of the other driver.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 14:59 - Oct 29 with 2526 viewssparks

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 14:30 - Oct 29 by southnorfolkblue

It absolutely can affect the op.

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 15:01 - Oct 29 with 2522 viewsbadadski

If the police witnessed the event and you have their details and you were also not in the car then surprised your insurance company would even charge you an excess. You should not need to chase this your self it is in your insurance companies interest to chase as they will be paying for your car repairs and hire car costs them selves. Always use who your insurance reccommend as contrary to popular belief they want the best job done possible as most will have to cover parts and labour for the work done for 5 years after the event.

I have worked for Royal and sun alliance and direct line group for over 20 years between them so have a lot of knowledge on the subject. If you want to pm me I will be happy to help although can't reply till later
Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 15:05 - Oct 29 with 2511 viewsStokieBlue

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 15:01 - Oct 29 by badadski

If the police witnessed the event and you have their details and you were also not in the car then surprised your insurance company would even charge you an excess. You should not need to chase this your self it is in your insurance companies interest to chase as they will be paying for your car repairs and hire car costs them selves. Always use who your insurance reccommend as contrary to popular belief they want the best job done possible as most will have to cover parts and labour for the work done for 5 years after the event.

I have worked for Royal and sun alliance and direct line group for over 20 years between them so have a lot of knowledge on the subject. If you want to pm me I will be happy to help although can't reply till later

They said that even with the reg number and CAD incident number I needed to pay the excess because the police can take up to a year to respond and they won't be sure the other party has accepted liability.

So I would likely get it back at some point in the future but seems totally ridiculous to me that this is the case.

SB

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 15:56 - Oct 29 with 2433 viewsbadadski

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 15:05 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

They said that even with the reg number and CAD incident number I needed to pay the excess because the police can take up to a year to respond and they won't be sure the other party has accepted liability.

So I would likely get it back at some point in the future but seems totally ridiculous to me that this is the case.

SB

There is no liability to dispute if your car was parked up and you have third party neutral witnesses. Your insurance company would only need the policr details as a last resort if they were having troubles getting the hired party insurer to take responsibility.

When did it happen? Who is your insurer and how much is the excess.

Last resort is if you excess not to big say to your insurance company that you don't feel it is right to pay the excess when you have proof and witnesses to say you weren't on the car and if they still won't budge make a complaint. This should be enough for them to waive the excess as an open complaint will cost them more than not charging you the excess.

In relation to the bus driver then if you have the reg and time of day then they will know the bus driver who will be on a set route and scheduled to that bus.
Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 16:05 - Oct 29 with 2423 viewsStokieBlue

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 15:56 - Oct 29 by badadski

There is no liability to dispute if your car was parked up and you have third party neutral witnesses. Your insurance company would only need the policr details as a last resort if they were having troubles getting the hired party insurer to take responsibility.

When did it happen? Who is your insurer and how much is the excess.

Last resort is if you excess not to big say to your insurance company that you don't feel it is right to pay the excess when you have proof and witnesses to say you weren't on the car and if they still won't budge make a complaint. This should be enough for them to waive the excess as an open complaint will cost them more than not charging you the excess.

In relation to the bus driver then if you have the reg and time of day then they will know the bus driver who will be on a set route and scheduled to that bus.

I don't have the reg of the bus driver but I do of the other car involved (and it looks like his fault from what I could see). The police must have witnesses but all I have is the CAD number. Insurers said that they can use that but it would take a year and I would have to pay the excess (500 I think) upfront.

It's not even the money, it's the fact that I didn't do anything and get penalised. I might try the complaint route. I can't get the information I need out of the police as they never respond to my requests and don't have the name of the other driver only their reg. I don't even know what the police determined to be the cause or fault.

SB

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 16:16 - Oct 29 with 2407 viewsPinewoodblue

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 15:05 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

SB

Sounds as if you selected the wrong insurer for your vehicle. You get what you pay for.

Presumably if you saw both vehicles, and the damage to them, you ought to be able to fathom out what happened. I assume you recorded details of the car and bus. Many buses have cctv and they may be prepared to confirm what happened.

To be told this may take a year is ridiculous. In a worst case scenario neither of the drivers accepts responsibility. A full police report will not be available until three weeks after any hearing if either, or both, parties are prosecuted.

Whatever happens you are an innocent party and will recover your excess.

2023 year of destiny

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 16:23 - Oct 29 with 2397 viewsStokieBlue

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 16:16 - Oct 29 by Pinewoodblue

Sounds as if you selected the wrong insurer for your vehicle. You get what you pay for.

Presumably if you saw both vehicles, and the damage to them, you ought to be able to fathom out what happened. I assume you recorded details of the car and bus. Many buses have cctv and they may be prepared to confirm what happened.

To be told this may take a year is ridiculous. In a worst case scenario neither of the drivers accepts responsibility. A full police report will not be available until three weeks after any hearing if either, or both, parties are prosecuted.

Whatever happens you are an innocent party and will recover your excess.

The insurance isn't super-cheap but I agree you do get what you pay for. I did move from Admiral as they wanted a crazy amount to ensure my car.

I didn't take the reg numbers - totally my fault but the police weren't being helpful, there was an ambulance there and I was rushing about with the kids. I do have a photo which has the cars reg on it though. I took some photos of the incident as well.

I thought the year was a ridiculous as well. I know I'll get it back at some point but the whole situation is just ridiculous in general.

SB

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 17:42 - Oct 29 with 2333 viewsbadadski

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 16:23 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

The insurance isn't super-cheap but I agree you do get what you pay for. I did move from Admiral as they wanted a crazy amount to ensure my car.

I didn't take the reg numbers - totally my fault but the police weren't being helpful, there was an ambulance there and I was rushing about with the kids. I do have a photo which has the cars reg on it though. I took some photos of the incident as well.

I thought the year was a ridiculous as well. I know I'll get it back at some point but the whole situation is just ridiculous in general.

SB

Ignore chasing your self, it is pointless and wont get you any where with your insurers.

Were the police at the scene when the accident took place? if not ignore this also, only neutral persons at the scene are of any use to your insurer's. So Bus driver if also involved may be of use to your insurer, the crime reference is just further information you insurer can use if they need to threaten legal action against the third parties insurer who caused the accident.

Its essentially like debt collecting between insurance companies, if at all possible one insurer will try to avoid paying other insurers where they can so sometimes depending on good your insurer is, is when they will threaten legal action against the other and then police report they can get pretty quickly as it has top be released lawfully.

You have a big excess so the complaint might now work but again its worth doing as companies can waive excess' and put them under ex gratia or just know that in principle you are not at fault and have supplied enough third party details and evidence for them to be able to back them selves if it goes to court which any case will rarely go that far.

Cheap insurers, as in smaller companies will try to give up and just put it as 50/50 which is no ones interest as costs them, costs you the excess and your premium going up.

Who is your insurer?
Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 17:55 - Oct 29 with 2320 viewsPinewoodblue

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 17:42 - Oct 29 by badadski

Ignore chasing your self, it is pointless and wont get you any where with your insurers.

Were the police at the scene when the accident took place? if not ignore this also, only neutral persons at the scene are of any use to your insurer's. So Bus driver if also involved may be of use to your insurer, the crime reference is just further information you insurer can use if they need to threaten legal action against the third parties insurer who caused the accident.

Its essentially like debt collecting between insurance companies, if at all possible one insurer will try to avoid paying other insurers where they can so sometimes depending on good your insurer is, is when they will threaten legal action against the other and then police report they can get pretty quickly as it has top be released lawfully.

You have a big excess so the complaint might now work but again its worth doing as companies can waive excess' and put them under ex gratia or just know that in principle you are not at fault and have supplied enough third party details and evidence for them to be able to back them selves if it goes to court which any case will rarely go that far.

Cheap insurers, as in smaller companies will try to give up and just put it as 50/50 which is no ones interest as costs them, costs you the excess and your premium going up.

Who is your insurer?

What a load of rubbish. His insurers will put as much effort into it as their outlay warrants. He should actively pursue recovery of his excess and any other losses.

The biggest problem is he doesn't have full details of the parties involved. Hopefully his insurer provides some form of legal protection cover.

2023 year of destiny

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 18:14 - Oct 29 with 2306 viewsbadadski

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 17:55 - Oct 29 by Pinewoodblue

What a load of rubbish. His insurers will put as much effort into it as their outlay warrants. He should actively pursue recovery of his excess and any other losses.

The biggest problem is he doesn't have full details of the parties involved. Hopefully his insurer provides some form of legal protection cover.

He has a reg, a bus driver reg and a police report. His Insurers will chase as far as they deem worthy of chasing, If all the supporting evidence is not worth it they wont chase and put it as 50/50. You dont chase your self its the insurers job to chase.

With the registrations of the car and the bus the insurer can find the personal details within seconds in fact if i wouldn't get in trouble for doing so as it goes through a DVLA/experian style search then i could find out the persons details within 22 seconds.

Legal protection on car insurance will not help as it will help to recover uninsured losses of which neither the excess or car damage is an uninsured loss, they are both part of car insurance. It is establishing fault that is the prerogative which is down to the insurer's of both parties with any supporting evidence which will mostly be live at the scene witnesses. Anything after the event like photos, is mostly useless.
Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 18:20 - Oct 29 with 2299 viewsPinewoodblue

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 18:14 - Oct 29 by badadski

He has a reg, a bus driver reg and a police report. His Insurers will chase as far as they deem worthy of chasing, If all the supporting evidence is not worth it they wont chase and put it as 50/50. You dont chase your self its the insurers job to chase.

With the registrations of the car and the bus the insurer can find the personal details within seconds in fact if i wouldn't get in trouble for doing so as it goes through a DVLA/experian style search then i could find out the persons details within 22 seconds.

Legal protection on car insurance will not help as it will help to recover uninsured losses of which neither the excess or car damage is an uninsured loss, they are both part of car insurance. It is establishing fault that is the prerogative which is down to the insurer's of both parties with any supporting evidence which will mostly be live at the scene witnesses. Anything after the event like photos, is mostly useless.

I think you would be best advised not to offer advice in future, of course the excess is an uninsured loss. PM me if you want to argue about it.

2023 year of destiny

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 18:22 - Oct 29 with 2294 viewsmonytowbray

I had to pay £350 excess when I had mine but got it back when it was concluded by insurers I wasn’t at fault. Not sure if that helps.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 18:28 - Oct 29 with 2288 viewsbadadski

Non fault car accidents - help, please! on 18:20 - Oct 29 by Pinewoodblue

I think you would be best advised not to offer advice in future, of course the excess is an uninsured loss. PM me if you want to argue about it.

Not trying to argue about anything Pinewood Blue trying to help a fellow blue. None of this is advice, this is stating what can be done and how the insurance company will look at it. If you work for an insurance company you will know that every thing given cannot be to an advisory capacity.

You are right about Excess unless you have Excess protection, so apologies, i was trying to speed type and its not my thing although Legal wont look at anything with less than a 50/50 chance of winning so again no live witnesses or cctv camera evidence.

Its down to the presence and size of the insurance company is what it mostly boils down to. Also didn't realise after reading through the whole thread there are two different cases without their own merits. Anyway trying to speak to some one more senior in the insurance company or complaint is a possible way out of Excess if you feel that you are being mistreated
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024