Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Computer people - chromebook advice please 18:05 - Nov 17 with 1556 viewsBluefish

Looking to buy an additional laptop to save the kids squabbling over priority for their homework. We barely use the one we have so want to go budget on the next one. This deal seems to good to be true, so what is it that I need to consider?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-c202-11-6-chromeboo (PLA) Black Tag 18 - Google Chrome~1025 (PLA) Black Tag 18 - Google Chrome ad group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=m&ds_kids=92700038837603925&tgtid=1025 (PLA) Black Tag 18 - Google Chrome&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIstSo7YHc3gIVyLTtCh0VpQ_EEAQYASABEgKa7vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Computer people - chromebook advice please on 18:16 - Nov 17 with 1533 viewsGeoffSentence

Well first off it's a chromebook not a pc.

So it runs chrome os not windows.

Which means most of the programs thay most people are familiar with will not run on it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Computer people - chromebook advice please on 18:18 - Nov 17 with 1526 viewsBluefish

Computer people - chromebook advice please on 18:16 - Nov 17 by GeoffSentence

Well first off it's a chromebook not a pc.

So it runs chrome os not windows.

Which means most of the programs thay most people are familiar with will not run on it.

Ah! Not advisable then?

Can I put Word on it?

Computer people - chromebook advice please on 18:19 - Nov 17 with 1525 viewsGeoffSentence

Second off it only has 16gb emmc so not much internal storage. As it's a chrome book I think the idea is that you save most stuff to the cloud, probably a google drive. You may have to pay extra if you need to save lots of stuff, though I am not quite sure what you get with google before you have to pay.

Computer people - chromebook advice please on 18:20 - Nov 17 with 1523 viewsGeoffSentence

Computer people - chromebook advice please on 18:18 - Nov 17 by Bluefish

Ah! Not advisable then?

Can I put Word on it?

Nope, but there may be some sort of chromebook equivalent.

Computer people - chromebook advice please on 18:34 - Nov 17 with 1506 viewsGeoffSentence

If you are looking for a budget laptop, have you considered a refurbished one?

I use amazon certified refurbished laptops, and have had no complaints at all.

Something like this maybe

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LENOVO-THINKPAD-WINDOWS-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B076VC

Computer people - chromebook advice please on 20:57 - Nov 17 with 1427 viewsthebooks

If you just need to email, browse, do a bit of online shopping, print the odd letter then this might do the job. I'd probably go for a slightly more powered model (with 4GB RAM) if I had the choice, but we have a 5 year old, 2GB Samsung Chromebook at home which the kids use for homework, and it's still fine.

Chromebooks are better value than similarly low-powered Windows Netbooks because Windows itself uses a lot more resources than Chrome OS.

You can use Word online, but Google Docs (which is free) is better. You'll be able to save in docx and PDF formats if needs be, but its in built sharing works very well. You'll get 15GB free cloud storage with Google when you set the laptop up (or if you already have a gmail account).

We also use some Chromebooks at work and they're also very good in terms of security and updates: you basically don't notice anything, whereas in Windows, especially on cheap, low storage laptops, updates can be a major pain.

Your main problem may be getting your head round cloud storage, but kids use it a lot in some schools.
Computer people - chromebook advice please on 21:22 - Nov 17 with 1402 viewsWeWereZombies

Computer people - chromebook advice please on 20:57 - Nov 17 by thebooks

If you just need to email, browse, do a bit of online shopping, print the odd letter then this might do the job. I'd probably go for a slightly more powered model (with 4GB RAM) if I had the choice, but we have a 5 year old, 2GB Samsung Chromebook at home which the kids use for homework, and it's still fine.

Chromebooks are better value than similarly low-powered Windows Netbooks because Windows itself uses a lot more resources than Chrome OS.

You can use Word online, but Google Docs (which is free) is better. You'll be able to save in docx and PDF formats if needs be, but its in built sharing works very well. You'll get 15GB free cloud storage with Google when you set the laptop up (or if you already have a gmail account).

We also use some Chromebooks at work and they're also very good in terms of security and updates: you basically don't notice anything, whereas in Windows, especially on cheap, low storage laptops, updates can be a major pain.

Your main problem may be getting your head round cloud storage, but kids use it a lot in some schools.

This is good advice, I have been using just Chromebook a nd smartphone for almost three years now. Docs and Sheets are good enough for everyday word processing and spreadsheet purposes. There is no faffing about compared with Windows and the phone and Chromebook sync perfectly.

However, the build quality of the two Chromebooks I have had so far (Acer, then Hewlett Packard) has been so abysmal that I do as much as I can on the phone now.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Computer people - chromebook advice please on 21:25 - Nov 17 with 1399 viewsnodge_blue

Computer people - chromebook advice please on 18:20 - Nov 17 by GeoffSentence

Nope, but there may be some sort of chromebook equivalent.

I’m pretty sure you can save documents in a .doc (word) format.

Given his criteria I’d say it’s totally suitable for kids homework and internet browsing.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Login to get fewer ads

Computer people - chromebook advice please on 21:58 - Nov 17 with 1380 viewsWeWereZombies

Computer people - chromebook advice please on 21:25 - Nov 17 by nodge_blue

I’m pretty sure you can save documents in a .doc (word) format.

Given his criteria I’d say it’s totally suitable for kids homework and internet browsing.

I have found Docs/Word, Sheets/Excel pretty interchangeable but with some loss of functionality (but it could just be that I have not found the work arounds).

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Computer people - chromebook advice please on 23:42 - Nov 17 with 1336 viewsjbryenton

Got my daughter a laptop without windows on it for around £200 eg. https://www.ebuyer.com/819841-hp-255-g6-laptop-3kx70es-3kx70es-abu

Then visited 'softwaregeeks' and bought a windows 10 pro licence for £20.
Easy to download and setup, just needed to activate via a telephone call to Microsoft.
Computer people - chromebook advice please on 08:28 - Nov 18 with 1269 viewsDeano69

Computer people - chromebook advice please on 23:42 - Nov 17 by jbryenton

Got my daughter a laptop without windows on it for around £200 eg. https://www.ebuyer.com/819841-hp-255-g6-laptop-3kx70es-3kx70es-abu

Then visited 'softwaregeeks' and bought a windows 10 pro licence for £20.
Easy to download and setup, just needed to activate via a telephone call to Microsoft.

£20 for a windows license, dodgy AF

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Computer people - chromebook advice please on 09:11 - Nov 18 with 1246 viewsBluefish

Computer people - chromebook advice please on 08:28 - Nov 18 by Deano69

£20 for a windows license, dodgy AF

I was going to ask how legal is it on a scale of 1-10 and is the likebthat activates it the kind chap from Microsoft that rings my house every now and again when he has detected problems with my laptops. A bit concerned because last time he told me that He was going to bomb me because I messed him around a bit.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024