Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Muhren and Thijssen 19:50 - Nov 20 with 10989 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Two players who have always intrigued me. I never got to see them play for Town and they came up in a conversation earlier in the week I was having with my Boss.

Was wondering if anyone on here was willing to give me an insight, in to their style, what made them so good and what sort of players they would be comparable with in today's football.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Muhren and Thijssen on 11:20 - Nov 21 with 3810 viewsnodge_blue

I only ever saw Thijssen in the flesh once - at Norwich away. And he did a couple of bits of amazing skill where he dribbled the ball around in tight circles keeping it away from the opposition. Im not sure that theres too many direct comparisons. The game now seems much more one or two touch and pass. But Thijssen often seemed to look to dribble. Others may disagree.

Murhen was abit Pirlo like? more your quarter back type midfielder. Head up - find a pass.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Muhren and Thijssen on 11:45 - Nov 21 with 3793 viewsPJH

Muhren and Thijssen on 10:18 - Nov 21 by farkenhell

Since this thread started, I've been trying unsuccessfully to track down that goal online. Thijssen dribbled past three or four of their players and just when he looked like he was about to fall over, up popped Arnie to curl the ball into the top corner of the net. A fantastic goal and even better against that lot.

It's on one of my many DVDs of the Town, with John Motson narrating. He called Thijssen something like "the wizard of dribble" and described Muhren's left foot as "like a velvet glove". F*cked if I can find the bloody thing now though!

Not sure the game was in 1981 though? Didn't we lose in the quarter finals to somebody else?

It was 1980/81 but not the quarter final-it was the 3rd round and we lost in the next round at Birmingham.
The game in Norfolk was 8th October 1980.
Muhren and Thijssen on 16:16 - Nov 22 with 3726 viewsshoopdelang

Muhren and Thijssen on 21:41 - Nov 20 by Vic

Hoddle was stronger and bigger than Muhren, but their left footed passing was very similar. Hoddle looked more graceful than our Arnold, but wasn’t really any better when all is said and done.

Thijssen comparison with Kante is quite good, but his dribbling was simply stunning. Like others have said - he hardly ever lost the ball.

Kante widely regarding as the best ball winning centre midfielder in the world...

Yet you’re comparing him with a dribbling playmaker. Ok
Muhren and Thijssen on 16:20 - Nov 22 with 3726 viewsconnorscontract

We've done this before, and I always say:

Muhren is like Xabi Alonso, Thijssen like Iniesta. And John Wark is Claude Makelele and Frank Lampard in one.
Muhren and Thijssen on 16:45 - Nov 22 with 3707 viewsITFC_Forever

Muhren and Thijssen on 09:02 - Nov 21 by JimmyJazz

And when we finally did there it was that season 93-94 when we were hopeless.

1994-95.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Muhren and Thijssen on 16:48 - Nov 22 with 3703 viewsPSGBlue

I remember Muhren scoring the only goal of the match against Forest in the 6th Round of the cup in the 80/81 season. Unfortunately we lost 1-0 to Man City in the semi.

But following the Murhen goal, Shoot magazine had a double page picture of Muhren and Brazil celebrating the goal with Shilton lying on his stomach looking back at the ball, nestled in the back of the net. That photo stayed on my wall for a few years.

Great memories!
Muhren and Thijssen on 16:54 - Nov 22 with 3699 viewsblueislander

Muhren and Thijssen on 16:20 - Nov 22 by connorscontract

We've done this before, and I always say:

Muhren is like Xabi Alonso, Thijssen like Iniesta. And John Wark is Claude Makelele and Frank Lampard in one.

You are way out with your comparisons. Alonso was a pretty hard nut, not averse to putting a foot in. Muhren would never have done that. Iniesta played much higher up the pitch than Thyssen, and was more of a pass and move player than one who could dribble past people.
Muhren and Thijssen on 17:43 - Nov 22 with 3675 viewsconnorscontract

Muhren and Thijssen on 16:54 - Nov 22 by blueislander

You are way out with your comparisons. Alonso was a pretty hard nut, not averse to putting a foot in. Muhren would never have done that. Iniesta played much higher up the pitch than Thyssen, and was more of a pass and move player than one who could dribble past people.

Not way out at all. Alonso may have had more physicality than Arnie, but both created time on the ball and used it beautifully, distributing the ball to change the point of attack. And neither were particularly pacy.

If you don't think Iniesta was a player who could dribble past people then you haven't been watching much Iniesta.

Login to get fewer ads

Muhren and Thijssen on 17:51 - Nov 22 with 3669 viewsblueislander

Muhren and Thijssen on 17:43 - Nov 22 by connorscontract

Not way out at all. Alonso may have had more physicality than Arnie, but both created time on the ball and used it beautifully, distributing the ball to change the point of attack. And neither were particularly pacy.

If you don't think Iniesta was a player who could dribble past people then you haven't been watching much Iniesta.

Alonso was two footed, and arguably a more complete footballer, but Muhren despite apparent limitations could win matches with his one good foot. I didn't say that Iniesta couldn't go past people but his forte was finding space, and his understanding with Xavi and Messi was telepathic.
Muhren and Thijssen on 19:01 - Nov 22 with 3640 viewsWhymarkmariner

Muhren and Thijssen on 10:39 - Nov 21 by ElephantintheRoom

Slow and endlessly passing sideways, so much so that he was called The Crab by his own team mates. Not Muehren or Thijssen - but Butch Wilkins who Robson tried desperately to sign before Muehren and then again before Thijssen. In fact it was Muehren who signed Thijssen after Robson was in despair at missing out on his crab - and pointed out that Thijssen was the better option and 1/5th of the price.

Someone will probably say I'm wrong, but didn't Robson sell Brian Talbot to Arsenal for £250,000 and buy Muhren and Thyssen for £150,000. Robson was a genius. Some finds were lucky as with Beattie, picking him up when he was going to go to Liverpool. Big Al, Paul Mariner from Plymouth. The list goes on and on. It was a privilege to have seen these players and I just feel sorry for todays fans that have had to put up with years of dire football and dire managers. I used to get to the ground at least two hours before kick off and take in the atmosphere. There was an expectation, not like there has been of late, a fear of what to expect. 10 straight years of European football. For a club the size of Ipswich that's fantastic. An average gate of 26,000 with a hand full of games over 30,000. When we played Leeds in the F.A. cup there was 38,000 inside PR. Obviously not allowed these days. It's great to remember, but to look forward to something would be nice, especially for the younger generation who carry this club forward.
Muhren and Thijssen on 19:04 - Nov 22 with 3638 viewsPJH

Muhren and Thijssen on 19:01 - Nov 22 by Whymarkmariner

Someone will probably say I'm wrong, but didn't Robson sell Brian Talbot to Arsenal for £250,000 and buy Muhren and Thyssen for £150,000. Robson was a genius. Some finds were lucky as with Beattie, picking him up when he was going to go to Liverpool. Big Al, Paul Mariner from Plymouth. The list goes on and on. It was a privilege to have seen these players and I just feel sorry for todays fans that have had to put up with years of dire football and dire managers. I used to get to the ground at least two hours before kick off and take in the atmosphere. There was an expectation, not like there has been of late, a fear of what to expect. 10 straight years of European football. For a club the size of Ipswich that's fantastic. An average gate of 26,000 with a hand full of games over 30,000. When we played Leeds in the F.A. cup there was 38,000 inside PR. Obviously not allowed these days. It's great to remember, but to look forward to something would be nice, especially for the younger generation who carry this club forward.

Talbot went for £450k and he was sold after Muhren arrived but before Thijssen did but basically we got the two Dutchmen plus a large lump of money and lost Talbot.
Muhren and Thijssen on 20:08 - Nov 22 with 3620 viewsBluesquid

As a kid i remember a white football that we used to knock about with which was supposedly unpuncturable (the ball didn't have a bladder).

Now im sure the ball was actually a Frans Thijssen special with his name on it in black text but the thing is i can't actually remember 100 percent, was it in fact Muhrens name on the ball? I swear it was Thijssens name on it.

Does anyone else remember this Thijssen/Muhren football?
Muhren and Thijssen on 21:46 - Nov 22 with 3589 viewsSibelius8

Muhren and Thijssen on 22:38 - Nov 20 by Oldsmoker

I went to the Liverpool v Town away match in 1981 and Thijssen scored the goal in a 1-1 draw. Everytime me and my brother had visited Anfield we had ended up in the Kop end. Here's a hint - tell a scouser that you don't want the Kop end and they'll point you to the Kop end as a joke.
When Thijssen scored we did the yes!!! and everyone around us gave us the look and we got the "Over there" chant and pointing but no aggro much to our surprise. The Liverpool supporters next to us started a conversation about Thijssen and Muhren being in their side and they'd be invincible. At this point in History, Liverpool were already invincible in the League and Europe but those supporters recognised they could be better and envied us for having Muhren and Thijssen. These supporters saw ITFC as their main rivals and not Man U. who have always been their eternal enemies. Throughout the game the Kop applauded the good football even if it came from Town and most of that was from Muhren & Thijssen. We were the better side and I left Anfield knowing that we had never won a game at that place but we came so close this time.
Those Were The Days.

Thanks for this. I was there too. Certainly a match to remember fondly and I had a similarly proud experience supporting the "Towen.". And yes, the Liverpool fans were most generous and appreciative during the game - no segregation then! Those were indeed the days...
Muhren and Thijssen on 22:41 - Nov 22 with 3577 viewsVic

Muhren and Thijssen on 19:01 - Nov 22 by Whymarkmariner

Agree with much of that, but not sure about being lucky with Mariner. My memory is that we beat off opposition to sign him from several clubs thought to be bigger than us. In my memory his was the signing that showed we really were competing with the big teams, that top up and coming players really wanted to come to Town.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Muhren and Thijssen on 22:59 - Nov 22 with 3567 viewsfarkenhell

Muhren and Thijssen on 22:41 - Nov 22 by Vic

Agree with much of that, but not sure about being lucky with Mariner. My memory is that we beat off opposition to sign him from several clubs thought to be bigger than us. In my memory his was the signing that showed we really were competing with the big teams, that top up and coming players really wanted to come to Town.

Mariner was bought with the money we got from selling David Johnson (the first) to Liverpool.
Muhren and Thijssen on 02:17 - Nov 23 with 3536 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Muhren and Thijssen on 20:01 - Nov 20 by solemio

I do seem to remember us being amazed when Arnaldus scored a spectacular goal from distance with his right foot.

Is my memory playing tricks or did it happen?

Against Nottingham Forest in the 1981 FA Cup quarter-final replay. A great goal but was maybe 15 yards from goal, no more.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Muhren and Thijssen on 02:21 - Nov 23 with 3536 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Muhren and Thijssen on 22:39 - Nov 20 by vilanovablue

If you want to see how good Muhren's left foot is check out Van Basten's goal in the Euro 88 final v Russia. For context Muhren was 37 or 38 iirc...

Muhren admits it was a poor ball, he completely overhit it and Van Basten made a poor cross into a great one.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Muhren and Thijssen on 03:34 - Nov 23 with 3516 viewsXYZ

Muhren and Thijssen on 02:21 - Nov 23 by The_Last_Baron

Muhren admits it was a poor ball, he completely overhit it and Van Basten made a poor cross into a great one.

poor by his standards …
Muhren and Thijssen on 08:13 - Nov 23 with 3480 viewsVic

Muhren and Thijssen on 22:59 - Nov 22 by farkenhell

Mariner was bought with the money we got from selling David Johnson (the first) to Liverpool.

Indeed - the thing is that Johnson was going, Mariner was coming in - as I remember it the first time a well thought of, up and coming younger chose to sign for us as opposed to other clubs (IIRC - West Ham and WBA who were both considerably most respected as clubs than us at the time).

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Muhren and Thijssen on 09:20 - Nov 23 with 3472 viewsPhilTWTD

Muhren and Thijssen on 20:08 - Nov 22 by Bluesquid

As a kid i remember a white football that we used to knock about with which was supposedly unpuncturable (the ball didn't have a bladder).

Now im sure the ball was actually a Frans Thijssen special with his name on it in black text but the thing is i can't actually remember 100 percent, was it in fact Muhrens name on the ball? I swear it was Thijssens name on it.

Does anyone else remember this Thijssen/Muhren football?

A friend of mine had one of them, was definitely Thijssen's name on the ball. I remember it claimed to be unpuncturable as well. Given that, presumably there are loads of them still going strong.

In fact, here he is with one.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/football-england-26th-january-1982-ipswich-
Muhren and Thijssen on 13:08 - Nov 23 with 3431 viewsBluesquid

Muhren and Thijssen on 09:20 - Nov 23 by PhilTWTD

A friend of mine had one of them, was definitely Thijssen's name on the ball. I remember it claimed to be unpuncturable as well. Given that, presumably there are loads of them still going strong.

In fact, here he is with one.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/football-england-26th-january-1982-ipswich-

Brilliant! Well done Phil, i remember a signature aswell and that was the ball.

We didn't have the ball long as unfortunately we didn't realise at the time that unpuncturable didn't mean unbreakable and i think we put too many holes in it, lol.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024