Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
CANZUK 19:10 - Dec 2 with 2831 viewsBangor31

only just came across this term/idea and thought it interesting. Obviously we look to be quite a way off it happening if indeed it ever does.

my questions is, if all countries are keen:

1 - do we think it is a good idea and has significant up side to the UK

2 - whether it contradicts leaving the EU
[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 19:11]
CANZUK on 19:31 - Dec 2 with 2801 viewsfactual_blue

This chap put forward a Private Members' Bill in furtherance of the CANZUK aims.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Rosindell

Note in particular

Rosindell's political views are firmly Thatcherite: he is a Eurosceptic, who supports the re-introduction of the death penalty and the detention of asylum seekers.[ He is also a member of right-wing group The Freedom Association, and was a member of the Monday Club, a Conservative-aligned organisation on the right of the party, until he was compelled to resign in 2001 by the party's then-leader Iain Duncan Smith.

Rosindell has consistently voted against bills furthering LGBT rights, including equalising the age of consent, civil partnerships and scrapping the controversial Section 28 act, which banned teachers from "promoting homosexuality" or "teaching ... the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship".He opposed the legalisation of same-sex marriage, saying "Where would it end? You could finish up at a stage where the monarchy in this country is in a same-sex marriage and that would have constitutional implications".

CANZUK sounds like a Nasty White Boys Club to be quite honest.

It's a no from me.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

CANZUK on 20:37 - Dec 2 with 2760 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It makes perfect sense for those countries so geographically closely linked as Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK to have free trade agreements. Imagine how easy that will make importing and exporting and all the logistical problems it will solve.

Now consider what the "shared history and common values" that these English-speaking countries share and wonder why an anti-EU group would want to see closer links forged.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

CANZUK on 20:49 - Dec 2 with 2742 viewsfactual_blue

CANZUK on 20:37 - Dec 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

It makes perfect sense for those countries so geographically closely linked as Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK to have free trade agreements. Imagine how easy that will make importing and exporting and all the logistical problems it will solve.

Now consider what the "shared history and common values" that these English-speaking countries share and wonder why an anti-EU group would want to see closer links forged.

It aligns them with the brexiteer who murdered Jo Cox. One of his expectations was a 'White Commonwealth' trading bloc.

CANZUK on 00:29 - Dec 3 with 2668 viewsHARRY10

That would be brilliant, specially for hauliers who could catch the ferry from Dover to Canada, NZ or Aus- or even the Atlantic tunnel to Canada.

Of course, we would have to accept their hormone riddled meat, which would decimate our farmers, though our exported livestock would have an enjoyable few weeks travelling to the other side if the planet.

Car parts would still arrive 'just in time' from the other side of the planet - and the flowers, bedding plants etc we now get from Holland wouldn't wilt too much on the return ship back.

Just as chilled dairy foods from France could easily be replaced by long life stuff from NZ/AUS, as long as we were free of those pesky EU best before labels. In fact all those meddling regulations that keep food safe for consumption.

Never understood why folk like those named are called right-wing nut jobs.
CANZUK on 05:45 - Dec 3 with 2590 viewsIPS_wich

CANZUK on 00:29 - Dec 3 by HARRY10

That would be brilliant, specially for hauliers who could catch the ferry from Dover to Canada, NZ or Aus- or even the Atlantic tunnel to Canada.

Of course, we would have to accept their hormone riddled meat, which would decimate our farmers, though our exported livestock would have an enjoyable few weeks travelling to the other side if the planet.

Car parts would still arrive 'just in time' from the other side of the planet - and the flowers, bedding plants etc we now get from Holland wouldn't wilt too much on the return ship back.

Just as chilled dairy foods from France could easily be replaced by long life stuff from NZ/AUS, as long as we were free of those pesky EU best before labels. In fact all those meddling regulations that keep food safe for consumption.

Never understood why folk like those named are called right-wing nut jobs.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Our government down here in Oz are systematically screwing up our trade relationship with China (our biggest export market) so we need something else to step up.

I hear Avocado sales have taken off in the UK - you can have the ones China doesn't want - after all a good Avo takes a couple of weeks to properly ripen.

Hormone injected meat is great - you can feed a family of five on one chicken breast!!

Our craft beer revolution has also started to eclipse the beer being brewed in the UK - so you can have some of that as well. Which would be ironic because literally every person I've spoken to back in the UK since I moved here seven years ago has asked how I'm coping with the yellow pi$$ that everyone seems to assume all Australian beer resembles.

Don't assume we will send you car parts. Holden (the last Aussie based car maker) stopped making cars last year and now just rebadge some GM rubbish. 80% of cars driving around the country are either Korean or Japanese.

We could also export you some advice on how to suppress the pandemic - especially since BoJo and his cabinet seemingly have not a clue. We've also got a couple of politicians who would be right at home in the UK (Pauline Hansen and Clive Palmer) - consider them a free gift...

In return, could you send us a year's supply of proper chip shop chips, some prawn cocktail Walkers and some extra Ozone...

Deal??
CANZUK on 08:41 - Dec 3 with 2503 viewsSwansea_Blue

CANZUK on 05:45 - Dec 3 by IPS_wich

Sounds like a great idea to me. Our government down here in Oz are systematically screwing up our trade relationship with China (our biggest export market) so we need something else to step up.

I hear Avocado sales have taken off in the UK - you can have the ones China doesn't want - after all a good Avo takes a couple of weeks to properly ripen.

Hormone injected meat is great - you can feed a family of five on one chicken breast!!

Our craft beer revolution has also started to eclipse the beer being brewed in the UK - so you can have some of that as well. Which would be ironic because literally every person I've spoken to back in the UK since I moved here seven years ago has asked how I'm coping with the yellow pi$$ that everyone seems to assume all Australian beer resembles.

Don't assume we will send you car parts. Holden (the last Aussie based car maker) stopped making cars last year and now just rebadge some GM rubbish. 80% of cars driving around the country are either Korean or Japanese.

We could also export you some advice on how to suppress the pandemic - especially since BoJo and his cabinet seemingly have not a clue. We've also got a couple of politicians who would be right at home in the UK (Pauline Hansen and Clive Palmer) - consider them a free gift...

In return, could you send us a year's supply of proper chip shop chips, some prawn cocktail Walkers and some extra Ozone...

Deal??

Prawn cocktail crisps?! What is it with forriners after all our fish? Will you settle for cheese & onion instead?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

CANZUK on 08:48 - Dec 3 with 2500 viewsGeoffSentence

CANZUK on 19:31 - Dec 2 by factual_blue

This chap put forward a Private Members' Bill in furtherance of the CANZUK aims.

Note in particular

Rosindell's political views are firmly Thatcherite: he is a Eurosceptic, who supports the re-introduction of the death penalty and the detention of asylum seekers.[ He is also a member of right-wing group The Freedom Association, and was a member of the Monday Club, a Conservative-aligned organisation on the right of the party, until he was compelled to resign in 2001 by the party's then-leader Iain Duncan Smith.

Rosindell has consistently voted against bills furthering LGBT rights, including equalising the age of consent, civil partnerships and scrapping the controversial Section 28 act, which banned teachers from "promoting homosexuality" or "teaching ... the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship".He opposed the legalisation of same-sex marriage, saying "Where would it end? You could finish up at a stage where the monarchy in this country is in a same-sex marriage and that would have constitutional implications".

It's a no from me.

Any more of a nasty white man's club than say the EU? Sure the canzuk countries are predominantly white, but so are the EU. Canzuk includes Canada and New Zealand, surely two of the nicest countries in the world whereas the EU is a collection of former colonial countries with dubious pasts, former Nazi and fascists states and some current states tending twards authoritarianism. So why single out canzuk as nasty white mans club whilst being enthusiastic about the EU?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

CANZUK on 09:13 - Dec 3 with 2475 viewsIPS_wich

CANZUK on 08:41 - Dec 3 by Swansea_Blue

Prawn cocktail crisps?! What is it with forriners after all our fish? Will you settle for cheese & onion instead?

Got plenty of cheese and onion of our own - maybe we could settle on some Nice N spicy Nik Naks?

Australia has some fantastic crisps (which unfortunately are called Chips here) - but not a great variety of flavours.
Login to get fewer ads

CANZUK on 09:38 - Dec 3 with 2450 viewssolemio

CANZUK on 08:41 - Dec 3 by Swansea_Blue

Prawns are fish?
CANZUK on 10:07 - Dec 3 with 2436 viewsfactual_blue

CANZUK on 09:38 - Dec 3 by solemio

Prawns are fish?

Interesting zoological and taxonomic question.

CANZUK on 10:10 - Dec 3 with 2437 viewsblueasfook

CANZUK on 08:48 - Dec 3 by GeoffSentence

Any more of a nasty white man's club than say the EU? Sure the canzuk countries are predominantly white, but so are the EU. Canzuk includes Canada and New Zealand, surely two of the nicest countries in the world whereas the EU is a collection of former colonial countries with dubious pasts, former Nazi and fascists states and some current states tending twards authoritarianism. So why single out canzuk as nasty white mans club whilst being enthusiastic about the EU?

Tis the warped view of remainers unfortunately. They well and truly bought into the notion of being ruled by Germany via the back door rather than being conquered by means of war.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

CANZUK on 10:15 - Dec 3 with 2422 viewsStokieBlue

CANZUK on 05:45 - Dec 3 by IPS_wich

Deal??

"Sounds like a great idea to me. Our government down here in Oz are systematically screwing up our trade relationship with China (our biggest export market) so we need something else to step up."

By screwing up you mean standing up to a bully right? A country that has ignored it's agreements and is currently being taken to the WTO by Australia and whom ignores the rights of it's citizens on a daily basis.

SB
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 10:42]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

CANZUK on 10:17 - Dec 3 with 2414 viewsTieDyedIn95

CANZUK on 08:48 - Dec 3 by GeoffSentence

I was going to say, the EU as a block is significantly whiter than the UK/CAN/AUS/NZ! The EU is one of the least diverse states there is, especially when it comes to representation. It's is Governed predominantly by extremely wealthy white people.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

CANZUK on 10:27 - Dec 3 with 2393 viewsGeoffSentence

CANZUK on 10:10 - Dec 3 by blueasfook

Tis the warped view of remainers unfortunately. They well and truly bought into the notion of being ruled by Germany via the back door rather than being conquered by means of war.

Well I am a remainer despite my observations about th EU country's pasts. I just don't think it was a fair criticism of Canzuk especially given Facters previous enthusiasm for the EU.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

CANZUK on 10:32 - Dec 3 with 2385 viewsIPS_wich

CANZUK on 10:15 - Dec 3 by StokieBlue

"Sounds like a great idea to me. Our government down here in Oz are systematically screwing up our trade relationship with China (our biggest export market) so we need something else to step up."

By screwing up you mean standing up to a bully right? A country that has ignored it's agreements and is currently being taken to the WTO by Australia and whom ignores the rights of it's citizens on a daily basis.

SB
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 10:42]

Yes - it’s quite a conscious effort to screw up the relationship and one that has support (including from me) - but none the less, we’re still screwing up the relationship,
CANZUK on 10:39 - Dec 3 with 2369 viewsfooters

With China being Australia's largest export market and America being Canada's, this seems a very British exceptionalist thing to think will happen. There is very little sense to it, aside from nostalgic idea of a shared identity.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

CANZUK on 10:40 - Dec 3 with 2369 viewsKropotkin123

CANZUK on 19:31 - Dec 2 by factual_blue

Note in particular

It's a no from me.

It's not just the right-wing that promote it.

The countries often vote similar way on key issues in the UN, which the EU doesn't, for reference. So there is more synergy there on the political side.

Canada, Australia and New Zealand are generally keen on the idea, but stress that the UK needs to come at it from a new perspective. Not this right-wing, restore the empire attitude.

Closer economic ties would be great for me, as my partner is a Korean Canadian and we have our application in to relocate to Canada.

We have already paid close to 5k to the UK state just to be together and have parted with over 1k for this Canadian application. It would be great if we could get closer ties to put an end to this because there really is no need for charging me and my partner thousands of pounds just so we can stay together.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 10:41]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

CANZUK on 21:58 - Dec 3 with 2279 viewsBangor31

really intrigued by the answers

so do we think this should be seen as a more political or economic agreement?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024