Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. 10:53 - Mar 7 with 7154 viewsshortswereshort

Hello, have been advised to post on here to see if I can find a link to the above game, ideally the video but even detailed match reports would be progress
I'm the host of a retro football podcast 'When Shorts Were Short' covering the 1954 to early 90s period of English football and have had an interview with a former Ipswich player who featured in the above FA Cup tie at Luton on hold for months as the highlights, which I need to rewatch have disappeared from the internet. I've been in touch with archivists, while with Ipswich staff working from home right now, their historian has not been able to help.
I know for a fact this game was showing on ITV's 'The Big Match' on the Sunday 24 Jan 1982 and remember watching it. Various sites on The Big Match confirm this game was one of the games shown on that Sunday's edition and other games from that edition remain online but for some reason Luton v Ipswich has vanished. I know Ipswich won 3-0. Clive Thomas reffed and of course this is the match where Terry Butcher had that extraordinary nose bleed that got even more complicated post-match. I can't see why the game would've been removed from YouTube and pretty much everywhere else and even some Big Match archivists I deal with haven't been able to unearth the game. The interview can go ahead without rewatching the game, but my preference would be to be able to watch it or at the very least read some match reports and anything linked to that game before I record this interview.

Thanks for your time.
Daniel
When Shorts Were Short Podcast, Football 1954 - '92.
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 22:42 - Mar 8 with 1601 viewsColin_Viljoen

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 20:00 - Mar 8 by SouthBucksBlue

I honestly can’t remember her first name but I guess it must have been.

Was it "Rainy"
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 03:01 - Mar 9 with 1550 viewsBluespeed225

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 11:52 - Mar 7 by longtimefan

Can’t help with the tv coverage but certainly remember the game and notably being ambushed by a large group of Luton supporters on the lengthy walk back to the coaches after the match. Fortunately the Police car leading us back received the worst of a hailstorm of bricks and rubble being thrown at us.

There were high jinks outside a pub called The Dutchman if i remember. The walk up kenilworth rd(i think) saw a few house windows go in. one day while killing time in waterstones as you used to do before smart phones, i did flick through a Luton hoolie book where he described 'hoards of Ipswich coming at us' and legging it.
another connection to that day was my Aunt being an A&E nurse when Butcher was bought in on the Monday night. She held his nose for ages she told me. Losing him was a blow, we went from 9 wins, to a sticky spell with Liverpool coming through on the rails. Bitter sweet times.
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 10:44 - Mar 10 with 1434 viewsBehindBlueEyes

I’ve been in contact with someone who knows a ‘tv insider’ that ITV has this Big Match Live footage in the archive, and they can receive requests for episodes to be played on ITV4.

Blog: Kundai Benyu – The Golden Shot?

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 16:04 - Nov 6 with 1165 viewsBeattie78

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 10:44 - Mar 10 by BehindBlueEyes

I’ve been in contact with someone who knows a ‘tv insider’ that ITV has this Big Match Live footage in the archive, and they can receive requests for episodes to be played on ITV4.

Anyone still interested, the game can be found on the ITV hub if you search for "Match time revisited". It's Episode 12

LexdenBlue62

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 16:40 - Nov 6 with 1140 viewsMeadowlark

Found this on BFI site, but not sure what it all means

http://collections-search.bfi.org.uk/web/Details/ChoiceFilmItems/153638443
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 16:44 - Nov 6 with 1135 viewsnoggin

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 11:52 - Mar 7 by longtimefan

Can’t help with the tv coverage but certainly remember the game and notably being ambushed by a large group of Luton supporters on the lengthy walk back to the coaches after the match. Fortunately the Police car leading us back received the worst of a hailstorm of bricks and rubble being thrown at us.

That's how I remember it, trouble all over the town. I also, I think, remember that it was Ipswich's 9th win on the bounce.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 17:03 - Nov 6 with 1110 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 16:04 - Nov 6 by Beattie78

Anyone still interested, the game can be found on the ITV hub if you search for "Match time revisited". It's Episode 12

I have just been interested reading through this thread for the first time and then saw I had already replied on it ... then checked the date of the OP!

Did the OP presumably run the interview he had done? Who was it with?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 18:30 - Apr 21 with 612 viewsTrequartista

from 26:20

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Login to get fewer ads

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 19:46 - Apr 21 with 518 viewscressi

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 18:30 - Apr 21 by Trequartista

from 26:20

Was there shi*e hole friendly in the multi story after the game
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024