Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
James Collins 19:13 - Mar 26 with 2405 viewsA90sblue

Just how good was he in that win at home against Rotherham? (I think it was them) in our relegation season. I seem to have this memory of him being colossal!
Random flashback of the day.
James Collins on 19:21 - Mar 26 with 2361 viewsclive_baker

Exceptional from the ginger Pele. Even made Chambers and Pennington look good.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

James Collins on 19:32 - Mar 26 with 2338 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yeah he was great, relative to what we're used to. But he was fecked and right at the end of his career back then. Which probably says it all about us.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

James Collins on 19:37 - Mar 26 with 2327 viewsandytown

Remember that he seemed to just know where the ball would be and positioned himself there. Looked like the best player on the pitch.
James Collins on 19:40 - Mar 26 with 2311 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

James Collins on 19:47 - Mar 26 with 2272 viewsHerbivore

He was great, but by Christ we were awful that day. Rotherham battered us and we somehow eeked out a spawny 1-0 win.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

James Collins on 20:04 - Mar 26 with 2223 viewsdavblue

James Collins on 19:37 - Mar 26 by andytown

Remember that he seemed to just know where the ball would be and positioned himself there. Looked like the best player on the pitch.

There’s an argument that he was the best centre half we’ve had here in the last 13/14 years certainly. Was a class above anyone else I’ve seen certainly in that time period.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2021 20:05]
James Collins on 20:10 - Mar 26 with 2177 viewsA90sblue

James Collins on 20:04 - Mar 26 by davblue

There’s an argument that he was the best centre half we’ve had here in the last 13/14 years certainly. Was a class above anyone else I’ve seen certainly in that time period.

Glad I seem to remember it correctly, the passion and happiness he showed at the moment be us well seems to stand out, this from someone that had hardly been here.
We seem to be missing that badly now!
James Collins on 20:11 - Mar 26 with 2157 viewsHerbivore

That's a bold claim. He only played 6 games for us.

Login to get fewer ads

James Collins on 20:17 - Mar 26 with 2146 viewsDubtractor

James Collins on 20:11 - Mar 26 by Herbivore

And I'm pretty certain that one or two of those performances weren't too great either if my memory serves me correctly.

No argument he was immense vs Rotherham though.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

James Collins on 20:25 - Mar 26 with 2109 viewsMB26

The only other memories I have of Collins after that gladiatorial performance was his weird little warm-up. Slowly jogging to the corner of the 18 yard box and placing his weight on one leg before slowly jogging to the other corner and repeating the same thing then going off injured after about 35 minutes then I don't think we saw him ever again. Reading (H) I think it was.

Great professional but at the end of his career, I think he retired on Soccer AM officially. He also featured in a music video for Serge Pizzorno (Kasabian songwriter/guitarist & Soccer Aid icon) called "Nobody Else" as Serge ventured into some solo work as 'The S.L.P'.

That's all I know as to what he's done since leaving Town.
James Collins on 20:30 - Mar 26 with 2081 viewsdavblue

James Collins on 20:11 - Mar 26 by Herbivore

Quality wise yeah, you could see he’d been a clear class above anything we had, had during that time frame.
James Collins on 20:53 - Mar 26 with 2004 viewsHerbivore

James Collins on 20:30 - Mar 26 by davblue

Quality wise yeah, you could see he’d been a clear class above anything we had, had during that time frame.

Still can't agree that he's the best centre half we've had in 12 or 13 years. 6 games for us and he was ropey in a couple of them. That's not enough to say he's the best CB we've had in that time, imo.

James Collins on 20:59 - Mar 26 with 1992 viewschrismakin

James Collins on 20:53 - Mar 26 by Herbivore

Still can't agree that he's the best centre half we've had in 12 or 13 years. 6 games for us and he was ropey in a couple of them. That's not enough to say he's the best CB we've had in that time, imo.

Collins over prime Berra?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

James Collins on 22:18 - Mar 26 with 1885 viewsdavblue

James Collins on 20:53 - Mar 26 by Herbivore

On his pure talent, I think that’s a fair summary. Even though he was on his last legs he was above anyone we’ve had in that period. The Rotherham game he was fantastic and got us through that game and made players better around him. I’ve not seen many better performances than that game from our centre half’s in that period that I recall.
James Collins on 22:24 - Mar 26 with 1865 viewsStewart27

Yep.

That was such a weird game.

Collins was immense. We got absolutely battered and the atmosphere at the end was electric.

20k plus inside Portman Road and this was the only time I had hope.
James Collins on 03:04 - Mar 27 with 1722 viewsBlueBadger

There is an argument, but it's not a very good one. He was a very small part of the second worst ITFC team ever.

(The worst is the current one).

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

James Collins on 03:10 - Mar 27 with 1724 viewsBlueBadger

James Collins on 22:18 - Mar 26 by davblue

On his pure talent, I think that’s a fair summary. Even though he was on his last legs he was above anyone we’ve had in that period. The Rotherham game he was fantastic and got us through that game and made players better around him. I’ve not seen many better performances than that game from our centre half’s in that period that I recall.

'Best performance in Lambert's Free Hit Season' isn't really MUCH of a recommendation though, is it?

You'd be mad to have taken an injury prone 48 year old over, say, Berra or De Vos.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

James Collins on 07:42 - Mar 27 with 1625 viewsdavblue

James Collins on 03:10 - Mar 27 by BlueBadger

'Best performance in Lambert's Free Hit Season' isn't really MUCH of a recommendation though, is it?

You'd be mad to have taken an injury prone 48 year old over, say, Berra or De Vos.

I was talking about over the 13/14 year period.
James Collins on 08:13 - Mar 27 with 1586 viewsHerbivore

James Collins on 22:18 - Mar 26 by davblue

I still can't agree I'm afraid. One excellent performance against a Rotherham side also destined for relegstion isn't enough to elevate him over someone like Berra who was consistently very good for us for a few years.

James Collins on 16:34 - Mar 28 with 1402 viewsBlueBadger

James Collins on 07:42 - Mar 27 by davblue

I was talking about over the 13/14 year period.

De Vos left us 13 years ago. Berra considerably more recently.

Collins a a very, very distant third to them.

James Collins on 19:25 - Mar 28 with 1334 viewsCoco

He was like Forest Gump in Vietnam running back to single handedly save everyone who had just given up to die. We certainly need a few men like him now.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024