Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder 18:34 - Nov 19 with 3972 viewstractordownsouth

Despite the first man he shot dead being unarmed. Depressing.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 19:51 - Nov 19 with 1201 viewsSwansea_Blue

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 19:46 - Nov 19 by Keno

so let say I went out one day with a legally held assault rifle (and pause for a moment as to why that is legal, why I would want one and why I would take it for a walk) and decided I felt threatened by you and a couple of your mates you would be be ok if I shot you dead?

If you were in America and could convince a jury it was in self defence, then yeah it looks that way. Nuts innit. No consequences for taking 2 lives - literally incredible.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:08 - Nov 19 with 1145 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 19:30 - Nov 19 by Illinoisblue

He didn’t say he was happy about it. Just that it’s the correct decision, which it is, legally.

On a purely legal argument (which it obviously has to be based on), it couldn’t be anything but not guilty.

The rules of self defence in America meant he was always almost definitely going to be found not guilty over there. The only suprise is that so many people are suprised. To me, having seen some of the trial and having a fair understanding of the American legal system, there was only going to be one outcome.

Edit - There was a thread on here a few weeks ago where there was shock that the victim was not being allowed to be called ‘the victim’ but that’s standard practice when self defence is used.

Rittenhouse trial - this is a bit fecked up by ElderGrizzly 26 Oct 2021 21:54
https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1453021349694279690?s=21

[Post edited 19 Nov 2021 20:10]

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:14 - Nov 19 with 1130 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 19:32 - Nov 19 by The_Last_Baron

The whole episode is a mess which should never have happened. I watched much of the trial and on the evidence presented by both prosecution and defence, it was clear there was next to no chance he could be convicted of murder so the jury made the correct decision.

The right to defend yourself was key in this case.

I have no issue whatsoever with the not guilty verdict. The jury had no choice but to go not guilty and all five verdicts were unanimous. I do feel sorry for the jury however as there hands were tied here from the American legal system and what constitutes self defence and yet they will be heavily blamed here when they had no real option.

If I was a betting man, I’d have made it 1/16 it was going to be not guilty. It’s American law and self defence is a very prevalent argument. The actual issue is the right to carry a gun and use it under a threatening no situation. If he’s legally allowed to carry a gun and is under threat, he’s legally allowed to use it. And sadly he did. That’s the American legal system at fault by allowing guns, not the individual case or verdict of today.

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:17 - Nov 19 with 1119 viewsStokieBlue

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:14 - Nov 19 by The_Romford_Blue

I have no issue whatsoever with the not guilty verdict. The jury had no choice but to go not guilty and all five verdicts were unanimous. I do feel sorry for the jury however as there hands were tied here from the American legal system and what constitutes self defence and yet they will be heavily blamed here when they had no real option.

If I was a betting man, I’d have made it 1/16 it was going to be not guilty. It’s American law and self defence is a very prevalent argument. The actual issue is the right to carry a gun and use it under a threatening no situation. If he’s legally allowed to carry a gun and is under threat, he’s legally allowed to use it. And sadly he did. That’s the American legal system at fault by allowing guns, not the individual case or verdict of today.

Do you believe if the jury remained constant (essentially white) and the races of the people involved were reversed then the same verdict would have been reached?

It's an honest question.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:21 - Nov 19 with 1093 viewsmylittletown

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 19:00 - Nov 19 by DinDjarin

No he legally held an assault rifle and was in the neighborhood where his father lived.

Maybe they should now charge the guy who pointed a handgun at him before he lost his bicep? He was a felon carrying illegally who traveled further than 20 miles to riot.

What sort of country lets someone like him legally own an assault weapon?
Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:24 - Nov 19 with 1091 viewsITFC_Cotton

Anyone who doesn't understand why he was found not guilty I urge you to research the incident and watch the trial as the media have done a woeful job of reporting. 1. He wasn't illegally carrying the firearm as in Wisconsin 16 year olds and up are lawfully allowed to carry "long barrelled rifles and shotguns" which his rifle was. 2. The first person shot was seen being very aggressive towards multiple people that evening using the N word repeatably and was witnessed threatening Rittenhouses life 30 minutes prior to the shooting (also happened to be a convicted paedophile) 3. Rittenhouse was running towards the police to hand himself in when he was set upon by multiple assailants, the second person shot and killed was attacking him with a skateboard (this guy was a convicted domestic abuser) and the third person shot brandished a handgun, admitted at the stand that he was only shot when he pointed the gun at Rittenhouse. Should he have been there? Probably not and he probably regrets going there but the fact of the matter is he was there, legally carrying a rifle and had to defend his life from attackers who were there to burn buildings and loot. Definitely the right decision by the jury.
Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:26 - Nov 19 with 1055 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:17 - Nov 19 by StokieBlue

Do you believe if the jury remained constant (essentially white) and the races of the people involved were reversed then the same verdict would have been reached?

It's an honest question.

SB

Genuinely, yes I do. American has an absolutely enormous issue with racism but the issue on self defence is so easy to use as a defence if there’s any evidence of threat.

With the widespread trouble that night being so hugely publicised and that it was apparent he was in danger (the victim who was shot but survived admitted that Rittenhouse was in danger), any plead or self defence was very easy. No arrogance or anything on my part but it was hugely obvious imo that a not guilty verdict was incoming. I suspect members of the jury would have wanted to go with guilty because rittenhouse put himself in that situation and was carrying a gun (his motives were obviously very suspect too) but that doesn’t change that he used self defence and as long as he was in danger and there was some evidence to support that, he was always going to be let off.

I think even if Rittenhouse was black and the victims were white, the verdict would have been the same. It’s the American legal system at fault here rather than the specific verdict/trial/outcome itself.

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:27 - Nov 19 with 1038 viewsStokieBlue

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:26 - Nov 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Genuinely, yes I do. American has an absolutely enormous issue with racism but the issue on self defence is so easy to use as a defence if there’s any evidence of threat.

With the widespread trouble that night being so hugely publicised and that it was apparent he was in danger (the victim who was shot but survived admitted that Rittenhouse was in danger), any plead or self defence was very easy. No arrogance or anything on my part but it was hugely obvious imo that a not guilty verdict was incoming. I suspect members of the jury would have wanted to go with guilty because rittenhouse put himself in that situation and was carrying a gun (his motives were obviously very suspect too) but that doesn’t change that he used self defence and as long as he was in danger and there was some evidence to support that, he was always going to be let off.

I think even if Rittenhouse was black and the victims were white, the verdict would have been the same. It’s the American legal system at fault here rather than the specific verdict/trial/outcome itself.

You have far more faith in the system than myself or many of the US organisations making statements this evening.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Login to get fewer ads

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:30 - Nov 19 with 1013 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:24 - Nov 19 by ITFC_Cotton

Anyone who doesn't understand why he was found not guilty I urge you to research the incident and watch the trial as the media have done a woeful job of reporting. 1. He wasn't illegally carrying the firearm as in Wisconsin 16 year olds and up are lawfully allowed to carry "long barrelled rifles and shotguns" which his rifle was. 2. The first person shot was seen being very aggressive towards multiple people that evening using the N word repeatably and was witnessed threatening Rittenhouses life 30 minutes prior to the shooting (also happened to be a convicted paedophile) 3. Rittenhouse was running towards the police to hand himself in when he was set upon by multiple assailants, the second person shot and killed was attacking him with a skateboard (this guy was a convicted domestic abuser) and the third person shot brandished a handgun, admitted at the stand that he was only shot when he pointed the gun at Rittenhouse. Should he have been there? Probably not and he probably regrets going there but the fact of the matter is he was there, legally carrying a rifle and had to defend his life from attackers who were there to burn buildings and loot. Definitely the right decision by the jury.

The important parts to establish on the legal aspects in the trial was that:
- Was he legally carrying the gun? Sadly yes.
- Was he under threat when shooting any or all of his victims? Again yes.

As soon as though two aspects were established so obviously and clearly in the trial, the jury’s hands couldn’t have been any more tied.

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:31 - Nov 19 with 981 viewsDinDjarin

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 19:23 - Nov 19 by Eireannach_gorm

Apparently the dead people were not victims. Think we know what side the judge was on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/27/us/kyle-rittenhouse-trial-victims.html

The Judge was a Democrat. Whats your point? No win situation for him.

He was also following Wisconsin law that in a self defence trial they cannot use the term victims as it makes the defendant sound guilty before the trial has stared.
Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:33 - Nov 19 with 965 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:27 - Nov 19 by StokieBlue

You have far more faith in the system than myself or many of the US organisations making statements this evening.

SB

Well I’m not sure about that. The system itself is f**ked. There’s clearly huge racism in America and there’s clearly an issue with guns. If Rittenhouse was black, he may well have been shot and killed by the police for a start.

I’m just commenting that the 12 members of the jury had no choice here but to go with not guilty based on my knowledge (I’m not a lawyer obviously. I just know a good deal about their legal system. Started with my a-level and from then on have kept up interest in it), the jury absolutely made the right decision on a strictly legal basis.

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:35 - Nov 19 with 957 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 19:23 - Nov 19 by Eireannach_gorm

Apparently the dead people were not victims. Think we know what side the judge was on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/27/us/kyle-rittenhouse-trial-victims.html

Rittenhouse trial - this is a bit fecked up by ElderGrizzly 26 Oct 2021 21:54
https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1453021349694279690?s=21

Again, that’s not true. It’s standard practice in American law (depends on the state I believe) that if self defence is used as the defence, the word ‘victim’ is taken off the table entirely. That’s in all cases when self defence is used in a homicide trial. The judge enforcing that rule has no bearing on ‘what side he is on’.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2021 20:35]

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:37 - Nov 19 with 949 viewsDinDjarin

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 19:46 - Nov 19 by Keno

so let say I went out one day with a legally held assault rifle (and pause for a moment as to why that is legal, why I would want one and why I would take it for a walk) and decided I felt threatened by you and a couple of your mates you would be be ok if I shot you dead?

If feeling threatened meant being bludgeoned with a skateboard while on the floor and having a handgun pointed in your face and you have means to defend yourself then yes.

Not sure the people there were all out for a Sunday stroll.

If he had done as you said then he would be serving multiple life sentences.
It's relentless isn't it......? on 21:00 - Nov 19 with 908 viewsfooters

It's relentless isn't it......? on 19:49 - Nov 19 by Bloots

....practically every thread just degenerates into the same people bickering over the same things.

Half the time they just cut and post the same response from the last argument they started.

They must have something missing from their real lives.

I feel sorry for them.

Be like Bloots.

Just spend half your time posting about how you don't care about what other people post about and you're so cool you don't post about it either.

Lol.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 21:00 - Nov 19 with 895 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:27 - Nov 19 by StokieBlue

SB

The legal case dealt in facts, not feelings.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Megalolz..... on 21:03 - Nov 19 with 889 viewsBloots

It's relentless isn't it......? on 21:00 - Nov 19 by footers

Be like Bloots.

Just spend half your time posting about how you don't care about what other people post about and you're so cool you don't post about it either.

Lol.

I don't really care what you think, love. by footers 14 Nov 2021 19:35
You're irrelevant.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Megalolz..... on 21:14 - Nov 19 with 853 viewsfooters

Megalolz..... on 21:03 - Nov 19 by Bloots

I don't really care what you think, love. by footers 14 Nov 2021 19:35
You're irrelevant.

Aww, you went back to find it.

Glad you don't care though.

Very cool.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

roflcopter.... on 21:16 - Nov 19 with 845 viewsBloots

Megalolz..... on 21:14 - Nov 19 by footers

Aww, you went back to find it.

Glad you don't care though.

Very cool.

So irrelevant that.... by footers 14 Nov 2021 19:57
[zzz]

Agreed, well edited. (n/t) on 21:20 - Nov 19 with 819 viewsBloots

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 19:28 - Nov 19 by StokieBlue

Edit: I feel this post was rather harsh.

SB
[Post edited 19 Nov 2021 20:19]

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 21:45 - Nov 19 with 748 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 20:33 - Nov 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Well I’m not sure about that. The system itself is f**ked. There’s clearly huge racism in America and there’s clearly an issue with guns. If Rittenhouse was black, he may well have been shot and killed by the police for a start.

I’m just commenting that the 12 members of the jury had no choice here but to go with not guilty based on my knowledge (I’m not a lawyer obviously. I just know a good deal about their legal system. Started with my a-level and from then on have kept up interest in it), the jury absolutely made the right decision on a strictly legal basis.

I think this is more likely the issue. He would not likely have stood trial and, carrying a weapon himself that he had used (albeit in self-defence) whoever shot him would also be able to claim self-defence.

Too many of the population of the country have a huge obsession with a right that relates to when it was the wild west. You have to ask why they believe it is still the wild west and has not developed into a decent, civilised Western culture?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 21:53 - Nov 19 with 732 viewsSwansea_Blue

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 21:45 - Nov 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think this is more likely the issue. He would not likely have stood trial and, carrying a weapon himself that he had used (albeit in self-defence) whoever shot him would also be able to claim self-defence.

Too many of the population of the country have a huge obsession with a right that relates to when it was the wild west. You have to ask why they believe it is still the wild west and has not developed into a decent, civilised Western culture?

To be fair, there are still lots of things over there that will try to kill you.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 22:02 - Nov 19 with 709 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 21:53 - Nov 19 by Swansea_Blue

To be fair, there are still lots of things over there that will try to kill you.

Would love to see their levels of cause of death ranked alongside those due to people with firearms.

How many of those threats are best mitigated with an automatic weapon?

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 22:18 - Nov 19 with 650 viewsITFC_Cotton

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 22:02 - Nov 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

Would love to see their levels of cause of death ranked alongside those due to people with firearms.

How many of those threats are best mitigated with an automatic weapon?

Wasn't an automatic weapon....
Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 22:22 - Nov 19 with 634 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 22:18 - Nov 19 by ITFC_Cotton

Wasn't an automatic weapon....

Are they illegal across the states then?

Was more a point about the law rather than this specific case.

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 22:25 - Nov 19 with 616 viewsITFC_Cotton

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty of murder on 22:22 - Nov 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

Are they illegal across the states then?

Was more a point about the law rather than this specific case.

As far as I’m aware obtaining automatic weapons in any states in the US is pretty difficult. I’m no expert but this case has had me reading up on it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024