Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? 18:37 - Dec 25 with 5979 viewsnoggin

It really shouldn't but just hearing her elitist voice annoys me. Poor old love had to spend Christmas at Windsor Castle.
[Post edited 25 Dec 2021 18:45]

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 00:52 - Dec 26 with 1752 viewsMattinLondon

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 00:03 - Dec 26 by Ryorry

Problem is in finding a decent system to select a decent President (or whatever you'd call them).

Yes you get the occasional royal bad apple, but royals are trained from toddlers to regard duty as primary, over-riding all else in life. Even where they reject it, eg by abdicating, it means serious heart-searching.

What elected President would feel same moral responsibility? How could you guarantee not ending up with populist scumbags elected on 'charisma', like Johnson or Trump? That's the problem.

As individuals I have a lot of redirect for some of them. But as a concept - why should I be expected to bow down or give added consideration to someone simply due to an accident of birth?

I’m a republican and don’t see myself changing this view anytime soon.
Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 00:55 - Dec 26 with 1739 viewsBury_St_Edmundson

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 00:52 - Dec 26 by MattinLondon

As individuals I have a lot of redirect for some of them. But as a concept - why should I be expected to bow down or give added consideration to someone simply due to an accident of birth?

I’m a republican and don’t see myself changing this view anytime soon.

Do you acknowledge that Jeff Bezos' kids will be rich?
it's kinda the same thing -

Especially if you don't have much umbrage with the queen herself
Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 00:55 - Dec 26 with 1735 viewsMattinLondon

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 00:55 - Dec 26 by Bury_St_Edmundson

Do you acknowledge that Jeff Bezos' kids will be rich?
it's kinda the same thing -

Especially if you don't have much umbrage with the queen herself

But will I bow down and show reverence to his kids? No.
Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 01:40 - Dec 26 with 1715 viewsRyorry

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 00:55 - Dec 26 by MattinLondon

But will I bow down and show reverence to his kids? No.

But it's not actually a requirement to "bow down and show reverence" towards them.

Just be courteous & refrain from throwing anything at them if you met them in person, same as you would anyone else :)

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 02:32 - Dec 26 with 1710 viewsStNeotsBlue

The Queen is the finest woman in the world. Love her x
Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 05:36 - Dec 26 with 1657 viewsdickie

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 02:32 - Dec 26 by StNeotsBlue

The Queen is the finest woman in the world. Love her x

That's quite a statement, there are a lot of women in the world
Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 08:35 - Dec 26 with 1621 viewswitchdoctor

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 19:13 - Dec 25 by noggin

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against her as a person. Like you say, she hasn't had much choice. It's the whole institution that annoys me.

oh dear….😂😂
Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 08:43 - Dec 26 with 1613 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 19:13 - Dec 25 by noggin

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against her as a person. Like you say, she hasn't had much choice. It's the whole institution that annoys me.

Flimsy arguments all over the place here.

"just hearing her elitist voice annoys me"

"I have nothing against her as a person"

One too many Christmas Day glasses of Buck Fizz I think.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 10:26 - Dec 26 with 1551 viewsPendejo

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 00:03 - Dec 26 by Ryorry

Problem is in finding a decent system to select a decent President (or whatever you'd call them).

Yes you get the occasional royal bad apple, but royals are trained from toddlers to regard duty as primary, over-riding all else in life. Even where they reject it, eg by abdicating, it means serious heart-searching.

What elected President would feel same moral responsibility? How could you guarantee not ending up with populist scumbags elected on 'charisma', like Johnson or Trump? That's the problem.

I have a proposal for a system to select a replacement...

National Insurance Number lottery, drawn first week of December to select a Head of State for a 12 month fixed term starting 1st January. No executive powers other than those already enjoyed by the Queen.
Takes politics out of the equation, no populist elections, no promises (aka lies)

It'll throw up some wrong uns, but anymore so than what we've already got in Royal / political circles?

Job title to be U.K. H.O.S.T. (Head of State, Temporary), Ts&Cs to exclude certain types - people actively involved in politics or members of the Royal family, but allows serving prisoners to serve as H.O.S.T.

Position comes with all expenses paid*: housing, travel etc. But no salary, will receive Universal Credit.
*by a remotely located Admin Team that wI'll have no direct contact with the H.O.S.T.

Just think these people could end up as H.O.S.T. And representing the U.K. all around the world

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 11:05 - Dec 26 with 1532 viewsDarth_Koont

Not sure why people get agitated by this.

I have a certain amount of respect and sympathy for the Queen (she didn’t sign up for it, after all) but it’s an anachronistic concept. And no, I don’t really understand why anyone watches the Queen’s Speech either.

Pronouns: He/Him

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 11:37 - Dec 26 with 1465 viewsBlue_Order

Raging about an old lady talking on the telly for 10 minutes, didn’t even watch it.

Get well soon, noggin.
Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:08 - Dec 26 with 1412 viewsnoggin

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 11:37 - Dec 26 by Blue_Order

Raging about an old lady talking on the telly for 10 minutes, didn’t even watch it.

Get well soon, noggin.

Raging 😂

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:11 - Dec 26 with 1404 viewsnoggin

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 08:43 - Dec 26 by Cheltenham_Blue

Flimsy arguments all over the place here.

"just hearing her elitist voice annoys me"

"I have nothing against her as a person"

One too many Christmas Day glasses of Buck Fizz I think.

I haven't actually made an argument. 🤷‍♂️

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:13 - Dec 26 with 1394 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:11 - Dec 26 by noggin

I haven't actually made an argument. 🤷‍♂️

Just trolling then 🤷‍♂️

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:16 - Dec 26 with 1383 viewsnoggin

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:13 - Dec 26 by Cheltenham_Blue

Just trolling then 🤷‍♂️

Nope. Just saying that it annoys me when it really shouldn't. Apparently you are all in agreement with me.

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:16 - Dec 26 with 1382 viewsBlue_Order

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:08 - Dec 26 by noggin

Raging 😂

Hope she didn’t ruin your Christmas, mate.
Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:17 - Dec 26 with 1374 viewsDarth_Koont

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:13 - Dec 26 by Cheltenham_Blue

Just trolling then 🤷‍♂️

To be fair, the Queen’s Speech did happen yesterday so why not respond to it as a fixture of British life and a discussion of the role/relevance of royalty?

I’m also pretty sure we have this discussion almost every year.

Pronouns: He/Him

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:18 - Dec 26 with 1370 viewsnoggin

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:16 - Dec 26 by Blue_Order

Hope she didn’t ruin your Christmas, mate.

I don't celebrate Christmas so no she didn't. Thanks for you concern though. TWTD showing some love as always.

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:25 - Dec 26 with 1338 viewslongtimefan

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:18 - Dec 26 by noggin

I don't celebrate Christmas so no she didn't. Thanks for you concern though. TWTD showing some love as always.

No wonder you’re grumpy then
Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:25 - Dec 26 with 1335 viewsZapers

Slightly ironic post given your obvious dislike of the queeen.
Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:27 - Dec 26 with 1325 viewsnoggin

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:25 - Dec 26 by longtimefan

No wonder you’re grumpy then

Believe me, I was far grumpier when I did feel obliged to celebrate.

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:28 - Dec 26 with 1313 viewsnoggin

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:25 - Dec 26 by Zapers

Slightly ironic post given your obvious dislike of the queeen.

Where have I stated that I dislike the Queen?

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:44 - Dec 26 with 1279 viewswitchdoctor

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:28 - Dec 26 by noggin

Where have I stated that I dislike the Queen?

“just hearing her elitist voice annoys me” is hardly a term of endearment..😂😂
Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:49 - Dec 26 with 1262 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

‘Why am I annoyed about this thing that I didn’t watch, by this person I don’t like on this day I don’t care about’

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:51 - Dec 26 with 1251 viewsnoggin

Does anyone under 60 watch the Queen's speech? on 12:49 - Dec 26 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

‘Why am I annoyed about this thing that I didn’t watch, by this person I don’t like on this day I don’t care about’

Isn't it funny how so many people are annoyed about me being annoyed.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024