Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Baltachas debut goal 13:59 - Dec 31 with 3361 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Not seen this since it first aired on look east. A few baffling things there...

Why did we play an international sweeper so far forward, and why did we let cattle graze at PR in the late 80's! No wonder Duncan wanted to bypasss the midfield.
Baltachas debut goal on 14:04 - Dec 31 with 2335 viewsChurchman

I was there for that. 5-1 was it? Something like that.

Duncan often played players in the wrong position. As for bypassing the midfield, his teams did it in August when the pitch was like a bowling green.
Baltachas debut goal on 14:05 - Dec 31 with 2318 viewsIllinoisblue

Was in Churchmans that day and was excited by the “huge” 15k crowd! Seem to recall Sergei made the front cover of Shoot or Match the following week

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

My second time at PR on 14:06 - Dec 31 with 2312 viewsMenton

Can’t believe the pitch was that bad!

Gareth McCauley in Dead Man's Shoes
Poll: Which of our strikers will get injured for the Republic of Ireland tomorrow?

Baltachas debut goal on 14:45 - Dec 31 with 2215 viewsBluespeed225

Great stuff, first time seeing that since that day! Mick Mills was their manager? Great kit too, but that pitch!
Baltachas debut goal on 15:26 - Dec 31 with 2132 viewsCaptainAhab

Baltachas debut goal on 14:04 - Dec 31 by Churchman

I was there for that. 5-1 was it? Something like that.

Duncan often played players in the wrong position. As for bypassing the midfield, his teams did it in August when the pitch was like a bowling green.

I was also there, 5-2 wasn't it?? Still got the program somewhere think it was Sergei and his glamorous wife on the cover...
Baltachas debut goal on 15:34 - Dec 31 with 2116 viewschevblue

Baltachas debut goal on 15:26 - Dec 31 by CaptainAhab

I was also there, 5-2 wasn't it?? Still got the program somewhere think it was Sergei and his glamorous wife on the cover...

Blog: [Blog] Total Football

Baltachas debut goal on 15:35 - Dec 31 with 2111 viewsTrumptonBlue

5-1, all the goals in the second half. I was in the North Stand. There seemed to be a collective intake of breath when Sergei got the ball and looked poised to score. And it all went a bit crazy when he did. It seemed a big deal at the time.

Thanks to the OP for the clip. Not seen the goal since the day.
Baltachas debut goal on 15:37 - Dec 31 with 2096 viewsCaptainAhab

Baltachas debut goal on 15:34 - Dec 31 by chevblue

That's the one!
Ah 5-1 was it, my memory is a little hazy
Login to get fewer ads

Baltachas debut goal on 15:39 - Dec 31 with 2091 viewsParisBlue

5-1

Only my third visit to Portman Road. Watched from the Cobbold.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Baltachas debut goal on 15:49 - Dec 31 with 2052 viewsghostofescobar

Wasn’t his “debut” a reserves game? I seem to remember popping along to PR in my lunchtime to watch one half, with quite a large crowd for a ressies game. Or have I imagined that?

GhostOfEscobar

Baltachas debut goal on 15:55 - Dec 31 with 2035 viewsrgp1

Baltachas debut goal on 15:49 - Dec 31 by ghostofescobar

Wasn’t his “debut” a reserves game? I seem to remember popping along to PR in my lunchtime to watch one half, with quite a large crowd for a ressies game. Or have I imagined that?

Yes you are correct I bunked off school for it. It was a reserves game against Southampton and there was probably about 2 or 3000 there.
Baltachas debut goal on 15:55 - Dec 31 with 2030 viewsTrumptonBlue

Baltachas debut goal on 15:49 - Dec 31 by ghostofescobar

I think you're right. Think it was a 0-0, possibly v Southampton.
Baltachas debut goal on 16:11 - Dec 31 with 1991 viewsSuperCoops

My second time at PR on 16:23 - Dec 31 with 1942 viewsIllinoisblue

My second time at PR on 14:06 - Dec 31 by Menton

Can’t believe the pitch was that bad!

What’s funny, back then with no social media or even internet, the state of the pitch never even registered. Just accepted it and everyone got on with it. Imagine the outcry today.

62 - 78 - 81

Baltachas debut goal on 16:29 - Dec 31 with 1904 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Baltachas debut goal on 15:39 - Dec 31 by ParisBlue

5-1

Only my third visit to Portman Road. Watched from the Cobbold.

Two 5-1 results on the trot I believe. Sergei watched on for the first and then played and scored in the second one. Was the first one v Oxford?

Can't remember the pitch being that dreadful!

Was strange to sign an international sweeper when we didn't play that system and then play him in midfield. I think he did alright but have to wonder what might have been had we played with a sweeper instead. Maybe it was too much to expect the other players to learn and adapt to it.

The big deal around him was that he was the first Soviet to play in the English league.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Baltachas debut goal on 16:36 - Dec 31 with 1888 viewsSuperCoops

Baltachas debut goal on 16:29 - Dec 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

Two 5-1 results on the trot I believe. Sergei watched on for the first and then played and scored in the second one. Was the first one v Oxford?

Can't remember the pitch being that dreadful!

Was strange to sign an international sweeper when we didn't play that system and then play him in midfield. I think he did alright but have to wonder what might have been had we played with a sweeper instead. Maybe it was too much to expect the other players to learn and adapt to it.

The big deal around him was that he was the first Soviet to play in the English league.

The game before Sergei's debut was a 4-2 away win at Walsall.
Baltachas debut goal on 16:40 - Dec 31 with 1864 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Baltachas debut goal on 16:36 - Dec 31 by SuperCoops

Ah, a convincing win then. Not quite sure why I thought they were both the same result.

Baltachas debut goal on 16:50 - Dec 31 with 1827 viewswitchdoctor

Baltachas debut goal on 15:55 - Dec 31 by TrumptonBlue

I think you're right. Think it was a 0-0, possibly v Southampton.

thought it was palace…..on a very windy day…hoardings and debris flying all over the place…interesting seeing his debut goal…for some reason I thought it was an overhead kick…or was that another game…or in my imagination?😄
Baltachas debut goal on 16:52 - Dec 31 with 1822 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Baltachas debut goal on 16:50 - Dec 31 by witchdoctor

thought it was palace…..on a very windy day…hoardings and debris flying all over the place…interesting seeing his debut goal…for some reason I thought it was an overhead kick…or was that another game…or in my imagination?😄

According to Wiki he only scored 1 goal for us.

Baltachas debut goal on 16:57 - Dec 31 with 1810 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Decided I might have got in a muddle with the match where Matt Holland had to go in goal to deputise for Richard Wright while he got a head injury treated. Looked that one up and see it was 5-2 not 5-1 and was the match after the demolition derby! TWTD!

I guess it never was two 5-1s on the trot at all.

Baltachas debut goal on 17:07 - Dec 31 with 1780 viewsIllinoisblue

Baltachas debut goal on 16:57 - Dec 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

Decided I might have got in a muddle with the match where Matt Holland had to go in goal to deputise for Richard Wright while he got a head injury treated. Looked that one up and see it was 5-2 not 5-1 and was the match after the demolition derby! TWTD!

I guess it never was two 5-1s on the trot at all.

I think we did score 5 goals three games running in that period you’re referring to

62 - 78 - 81

Baltachas debut goal on 17:08 - Dec 31 with 1781 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Just had my memory refreshed by a twitter comment that the club used to sell individual VHS tapes of whole matches so that's where this footage is from. Was only 15 or 16 at the time and remember them being expensive & out of my budget.

You wonder what other past gems are hidden in peoples collections!
Baltachas debut goal on 17:13 - Dec 31 with 1769 viewsSuperCoops

Baltachas debut goal on 16:50 - Dec 31 by witchdoctor

His reserve team debut was definitely at home to Southampton.
Baltachas debut goal on 17:14 - Dec 31 with 1762 viewsSuperCoops

Baltachas debut goal on 17:07 - Dec 31 by Illinoisblue

I think we did score 5 goals three games running in that period you’re referring to

Edit: Misread.

Yes, beat Huddersfield 5-1, Norwich 5-0 and Oxford 5-2.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2021 17:16]
Baltachas debut goal on 17:18 - Dec 31 with 1748 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

It was.
He sat in the stand behind us.
There were half and half bobble hats on sale at his debut. ITFC badge one side, hammer and sickle the other.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024