Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keeper 12:50 - Jan 13 with 1264 viewsHipsterectomy

With the talk of Walton arriving, or perhaps even getting another keeper in if we can’t get him permanently, who was our last youth goalkeeper who was a genuine contender for the first team? It seems it’s rare for them to even get a chance of being on the bench. It’s been over 10 years since the days of Lewis Price and Shane Supple who were in our youth system and stepped up. Surely there’s a few I’m missing?

I remember a lad we had was snapped up by Norwich (Hayes?) and I’ve
never heard of him since then.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Keeper on 13:28 - Jan 13 with 1147 viewschrismakin

Must be incredibly difficult being a young keeper coming through. The games changed so much now, you've got to be good with ball at feet, calm and confident.
How many u16s side even play football with the ball being played across the backline... for the keepers to even get to a comfortable level with it.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Keeper on 13:30 - Jan 13 with 1131 viewsSteve_M

Supple and Price. Supple the better keeper, Price was a little flaky but had a reasonable career.

Other than that Harry Wright might have pushed for a squad place at one time but never came that close.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Keeper on 13:35 - Jan 13 with 1089 viewshomer_123

ALB - albeit in a roundabout way...and oddly our points ratio with him in goal was actually half decent

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Keeper on 13:47 - Jan 13 with 1036 viewsFPL_Tractor

Keeper on 13:28 - Jan 13 by chrismakin

Must be incredibly difficult being a young keeper coming through. The games changed so much now, you've got to be good with ball at feet, calm and confident.
How many u16s side even play football with the ball being played across the backline... for the keepers to even get to a comfortable level with it.

Add to this while young outfield players can get a run out from the bench or in cup ties this is unlikely for young keepers (as the club would have a designed number 2, even 3, senior keeper who would play in these cup ties and obviously games off the bench are rare). Also decent loans are hard to find as L2/National League teams would usually prefer a more experienced keeper.

I think you probably need to be good enough to almost skip all that (a la Wrighty) or have a bit of luck to be honest.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Keeper on 17:40 - Jan 13 with 850 viewsHipsterectomy

Keeper on 13:28 - Jan 13 by chrismakin

That’s true. I guess it’s also different now that a 16/17/18 year old, very competent keeper, may easily be taken by Prem clubs for a nominal fee. Sadly it does seem that lower league clubs loan a young keeper now, rather than promote their own

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Keeper on 18:17 - Jan 13 with 804 viewscharlie1

It seems to coincide massively with our struggles over the last 20 years.

When Wrighty was here (the first time) we were building a team and he was allowed to develop as part of it.
Since our decline it’s been a succession of re-builds, sticking plaster fixes, and hole-plugging.
Who in the last ten years can you genuinely say has tried to build a team at PR and not just tried to buy instant success?

Nationally, young keepers get their chance. Pope was here and got moved on, Ramsdale, Johnston, Pickford were all developed through academies.

If McKenna does the job I think he’s capable of, and with his background, I think you’ll find our youths will have a huge part to play in the next few years.
Keeper on 18:52 - Jan 13 with 760 viewschrismakin

Keeper on 18:17 - Jan 13 by charlie1

It seems to coincide massively with our struggles over the last 20 years.

When Wrighty was here (the first time) we were building a team and he was allowed to develop as part of it.
Since our decline it’s been a succession of re-builds, sticking plaster fixes, and hole-plugging.
Who in the last ten years can you genuinely say has tried to build a team at PR and not just tried to buy instant success?

Nationally, young keepers get their chance. Pope was here and got moved on, Ramsdale, Johnston, Pickford were all developed through academies.

If McKenna does the job I think he’s capable of, and with his background, I think you’ll find our youths will have a huge part to play in the next few years.

Problem is it takes 3 or 4 games and a few mistakes and gks get changed. The sport isn't kind on the young at this level. Personally think anything higher than league 2 and as a young keeper you've got no hope of a break through until you've passed your 20's. ( opening myself up here to be wring. I just can't think of any Gks younger than 20 in the first team. You then have the issue that that 20 odd year old is then keeping out the next upcoming keeper who either gets a chance elsewhere or dies off as a non league keeper.

Of course totally a personal opinion.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Keeper on 19:25 - Jan 13 with 719 viewschrismakin

Keeper on 18:52 - Jan 13 by chrismakin

Problem is it takes 3 or 4 games and a few mistakes and gks get changed. The sport isn't kind on the young at this level. Personally think anything higher than league 2 and as a young keeper you've got no hope of a break through until you've passed your 20's. ( opening myself up here to be wring. I just can't think of any Gks younger than 20 in the first team. You then have the issue that that 20 odd year old is then keeping out the next upcoming keeper who either gets a chance elsewhere or dies off as a non league keeper.

Of course totally a personal opinion.

Funnily enough after I post that. I've just seen Bolton have signed a 19 year old from man City for the season.

Login to get fewer ads

Keeper on 02:46 - Jan 14 with 562 viewsyorkshire

I think Michael Crowe was very close to getting at least some game time - and before that Ian McLaughlin - both have gone to play league games as did Cody Cropper

I though Adam Przybek looked pretty decent in the League Cup game he played for us but then didn’t get another chance

As has been said, it’s very hard for young keepers to come in and keep their places - especially when fan and club expectation is so high
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024