Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Player Suggestions - Striker 12:41 - Mar 28 with 1440 viewsTomTheWriter

*Disclaimer - This is longer than expected

McKenna has us playing at such a high level this season, but it is clear that there is still room to grow (which is a scary thought considering our current dominance). The squad is really strong, but it does feel like a summer where we need 4 'starting XI' players to get us in the top 2 (3 if Celina signs)

For me, RCM, LWB and ST are the clear areas that need to be improved. There are a fair few cheap, affordable and talented players in the LWB and RCM spot, that it makes sense to focus our budget and attention on a striker to lead the line next season. Been looking around the leagues for players we could entice to Portman Road, based on suggestions from both TWTD and Twitter (experienced, Prem loanee, star Champ player). Some realistic, some maybe not

EXPERIENCED ->

After the success of Sone Aluko, I wouldn't be surprised if we looked to bring someone with a lot of experience in to support the new front-line next season.

Frazier Campbell, 34, currently at Huddersfield Town. Has featured on 17 occasions this season, starting only 4 times. With Huddersfield pushing for the Premier League, he probably won't be a regular if they get promoted. Scored 7 goals last season. Born in Huddersfield, so may want to finish his career with them.

Nahki Wells, 31, currently at Bristol City. Everyone knows our links with City now, so wouldn't surprise me if we looked at their bit-part players (a la Bakinson). 27 games, only 5 starts with 3 goals. 10 goals last season. 1-year left on his deal. Might be getting more game time in April due to Semenyo's injury.

LOANS ->

If we go with 4 strikers again like this season, a loan striker might be a possibility.

Dan Jebbison, 18, currently at Sheffield United. First half of this season at Burton Albion, 7 goals in 14 starts. Recalled by United, but has only played 4 times. V. highly thought of by United higher-ups, Prem debut last season. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes out on loan again next season.

Chuba Akpom, 26, currently at Middlesbrough. Joined in 2020 for £2mill. 5 goals last season, out on loan in Greece with POAK this year. 6 goals for them. Ex-Arsenal kid. Spent four of the last five years in Europe.

Max Watters, 23, currently at Cardiff City. First half of this season at MK Dons, 5 goals in 11 games. Recalled in Jan, 4 games and a goal for Cardiff so far. Another with a bright future, but might need another loan in L1.

Marcus Forss, 22, on loan with Hull. Brentford striker, scored 11 goals two years ago in L1 with Wimbledon. 7 goals in the Champ last year. Exciting young striker.

Armstrong Okoflex, 20, currently at West Ham. 12 goals for the WHU U23 side this season. Previously of Celtic. McKenna's academy knowledge might see someone like Okoflex or the next three turn up on loan.

Mika Biereth, 19, currently at Arsenal. 7 goals for the U23 side this year. Highly rated by Arsenal fans, describes himself as 'an old-fashioned number nine'.

Charlie McNeill, 18, currently at Man United. 9 goals for the U18's, 5 for the U23's. Described as United's next 'number nine'. McKenna's links to United could see us go in for their youngsters.

Dane Scarlett, 18, currently at Tottenham. Both Conte and Mourinho have spoken about his potential, with many calling him the next Harry Kane. McKenna's Tottenham links could play out here

CHAMPIONSHIP STRIKERS ->

To progress, we may need to look at a 'Conor Chaplin-type' signing - performed well in the Champ but drops down to League One.

Jerry Yates, 25, currently at Blackpool. 20 goals in League One last season. 7 in the Champ this year. Has only started 21 games despite his impressive campaign last year. If Blackpool want to progress, they may look to strengthen their front-line.

Scott Hogan, 29, currently at Birmingham City. 10 goals this season, Birmingham's top goalscorer. ROI boss Kenny said that Bowyer's 'high-press' football has made Hogan an even better striker. Would fit in McKenna's side. Out of reach?

Lucas Joao, 28, currently at Reading. 6 goals this season, with Reading being dragged into a relegation battle. Powerful striker, got 19 goals last season. Another stretch, but we can offer wages higher than most in the Champ.

Jonson Clarke-Harris, 27, currently at Peterborough. 9 goals this season, after 31 last year. With Posh likely to go down, he might be on the move. With have Champ interest, but we can offer stronger wages.

PUSH THE BOAT ->

These three fall under the 'maybe not realistic' category, but you never know until you try.

Jamal Lowe, 27, currently at Bournemouth. 6 goals this season, but only 7 starts. Solanke on fire, Moore, Cantwell & Dembele all arrived in Jan. Game time has been limited for Lowe in the past few months. If they get promoted, he might leave. Would be a big ask. Played with Chappers at Pompey, and Evans/Morsy at Wigan.

Andre Gray, 30, on loan with QPR. Watford striker. If the Hornets get relegated, they may want to use him, but do have Pedro, Sarr, Dennis, King to send them back up. 8 goals for QPR this season.

Mallik Wilks, 23, currently at Hull City. 19 goals last season. Only 3 this year due to injury and out of favour. Mainly played as a winger, but Hull fans see him as a better striker. Deal runs out in the summer.

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Player Suggestions - Striker on 12:44 - Mar 28 with 1370 viewsJ2BLUE

Decent read, cheers. Think Clarke-Harris would be a stretch.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Player Suggestions - Striker on 12:50 - Mar 28 with 1317 viewsitfcsuth

A good read, have clearly spent some decent time researching them.

I don't agree with all of them - but I think Jerry Yates & Marcus Forss are good shouts.

I would suggest Shane Long above the experienced ones you have suggested. I would add Troy Parrott to the loan list.

I've mentioned Mo Eisa before as well who I feel would do well under KM
Player Suggestions - Striker on 13:14 - Mar 28 with 1219 viewsHighgateBlue

Player Suggestions - Striker on 12:44 - Mar 28 by J2BLUE

Decent read, cheers. Think Clarke-Harris would be a stretch.

But well worth stretching for!
Player Suggestions - Striker on 13:15 - Mar 28 with 1205 viewsElephantintheRoom

A slightly simpler scenario would be to imagine what McKenna might have made of Will Keane.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Player Suggestions - Striker on 13:17 - Mar 28 with 1195 viewsPhilTWTD

Re experienced players, I think David McGoldrick's out of contract this summer!
Player Suggestions - Striker on 13:18 - Mar 28 with 1168 viewstractorboy1978

I still think Waghorn would be class in this set up and it's not really worked for him at Coventry.

Mobile, can play right across the front 3, strong finisher, good link up play, set pieces and a great character.
Player Suggestions - Striker on 13:26 - Mar 28 with 1106 viewsScuzzer

Player Suggestions - Striker on 13:18 - Mar 28 by tractorboy1978

I still think Waghorn would be class in this set up and it's not really worked for him at Coventry.

Mobile, can play right across the front 3, strong finisher, good link up play, set pieces and a great character.

Actually...thinking about it...not a bad shout.

Established 1968

Player Suggestions - Striker on 13:31 - Mar 28 with 1074 viewsRobTheMonk

I'd love to see Shane Long as the experienced striker, although think he might have some Championship suitors.
Login to get fewer ads

Player Suggestions - Striker on 13:40 - Mar 28 with 1009 viewsNthQldITFC

Great stuff, thanks for doing. I don't know too much about players outside of ITFC, so I'm not familiar with the type of player that most of these are. I wonder if there is a possibility of describing the player as closest match to a set of former or current Town players? It would be quite subjective of course.

For me, we should be looking for one of two types of striker:

1 - A focal point for the attack, very able to receive the ball hold off defenders and lay off the ball for the runners (number 10s, Morsy, Burns etc.) - e.g. a Pablo Counago
2 - A very quick and fit striker to pull the defence around without the ball and make space for the runners - e.g. a Kayden Jackson

A tendency to score goals is obviously a good thing, but actually no better than a tendency to create the same number of goals.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Player Suggestions - Striker on 14:09 - Mar 28 with 904 viewsTomTheWriter

Player Suggestions - Striker on 13:40 - Mar 28 by NthQldITFC

Great stuff, thanks for doing. I don't know too much about players outside of ITFC, so I'm not familiar with the type of player that most of these are. I wonder if there is a possibility of describing the player as closest match to a set of former or current Town players? It would be quite subjective of course.

For me, we should be looking for one of two types of striker:

1 - A focal point for the attack, very able to receive the ball hold off defenders and lay off the ball for the runners (number 10s, Morsy, Burns etc.) - e.g. a Pablo Counago
2 - A very quick and fit striker to pull the defence around without the ball and make space for the runners - e.g. a Kayden Jackson

A tendency to score goals is obviously a good thing, but actually no better than a tendency to create the same number of goals.

From research, I'd say they all fall into one of the two categories, and this is how I would sort them out myself.

Option 1 - Fraizer Campbell, Chuba Akpom, Max Watters, Charlie McNeill, Dane Scarlett, Lucas Joao, Clarke-Harris, Scott Hogan

Option 2 - Jamal Lowe, Andre Gray, Mallik Wilks, Nahki Wells, Dan Jebbison, Armstrong Okoflex.

From watching a few clips of them, Bierith and Yates look capable of both. Realistically, and I never thought we'd be saying this a year ago, we need to find another Kayden Jackson. Someone to stretch the play, make the runs in behind that Celina, Aluko, Chaplin etc. will find with their passing

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Player Suggestions - Striker on 14:27 - Mar 28 with 825 viewsDarth_Koont

Player Suggestions - Striker on 13:17 - Mar 28 by PhilTWTD

Re experienced players, I think David McGoldrick's out of contract this summer!

Damn you!

I’ve just gotten teary thinking about how 2014-15 McGoldrick and Murphy would look dropped into this side.

Pronouns: He/Him

Player Suggestions - Striker on 14:29 - Mar 28 with 813 viewsPhilTWTD

Player Suggestions - Striker on 14:27 - Mar 28 by Darth_Koont

Damn you!

I’ve just gotten teary thinking about how 2014-15 McGoldrick and Murphy would look dropped into this side.

I think Murphy in his pomp would be ideal in the current team. Also agree with the Will Keane suggestion elsewhere in this thread.
Player Suggestions - Striker on 14:31 - Mar 28 with 788 viewsBiGDonnie

Stockton!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Player Suggestions - Striker on 14:37 - Mar 28 with 740 viewshype313

Player Suggestions - Striker on 13:15 - Mar 28 by ElephantintheRoom

A slightly simpler scenario would be to imagine what McKenna might have made of Will Keane.

Will Keane would be a real problem for the opposition under a McKenna stewardship.

Would imagine if Wigan go up then it will be a tough sell, but with the service he would get, he would be just what we need in the box.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024