Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. 17:42 - Apr 25 with 419296 viewsEireannach_gorm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/25/evidence-ukraine-women-raped-befor

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-turned-a-bucha-building-into-an-execution-si
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 20:20 - Dec 7 with 8646 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 18:25 - Dec 7 by Eireannach_gorm

Delightful place to spend your Christmas. Don't think there will be many fairy lights or turkey dinners here.

I wonder why parents refuse to evacuate her.

So many terribly sad stories, from those who have left the country as well as those internally displaced and those still in situ.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 20:37 - Dec 7 with 8630 viewsWeWereZombies

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 20:20 - Dec 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

So many terribly sad stories, from those who have left the country as well as those internally displaced and those still in situ.

Trying to keep the family together ? No certainty of a safe haven or a secure passage out of the basement ? Fear of child trafficking if the parents lost contact with the daughter ?

There is no doubt that soldiers can be brave and heroic (and they are rewarded and lauded with medals, career advancement and other kudos when they are) but it so often seems that the greatest suffering and the most severe tests of resolve in war fall upon civilians.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:03 - Dec 8 with 8451 viewsEireannach_gorm

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 20:20 - Dec 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

Its a Dickensian scene with a nod to Tiny Tim ( note the dirt on the hands ).

This article kind of explains why people don't leave, they appear to be going round in a daze.
https://www.rfi.fr/en/we-are-not-alone-wartime-solitude-on-ukraine-s-ghostly-fro
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 18:36 - Dec 8 with 8366 viewsEireannach_gorm

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 20:46 - Dec 8 with 8313 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 18:36 - Dec 8 by Eireannach_gorm

Notable how many other nationalities are amongst the flags in the graveyard. I don't know why but it hadn't struck me that there would be other nationalities living and dying there.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 08:52 - Dec 9 with 8173 viewsChorleyBoy

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 20:46 - Dec 8 by Nthsuffolkblue

Notable how many other nationalities are amongst the flags in the graveyard. I don't know why but it hadn't struck me that there would be other nationalities living and dying there.

In fact it's notable how few other nationalities are among the flags in the graveyard. There's just one, an Azerbaijan flag (with a white crescent and star in the middle). The pink flag (in front of the Azerbaijan flag) looks like a Ukrainian Armed Forces flag (there are no pink national flags). The red and black flag is the Ukrainian Insurgent Army flag (UPA).

In fact there are very few foreigners living in these more troubled parts of Ukraine, most having got out of the country in the last 10 years, some even earlier. Foreigners currently fighting on the Ukrainian side are/were mostly mercenaries.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2022 8:59]
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:18 - Dec 10 with 8048 viewsChurchman

Interesting that Putin has again been rattling his rusty little sabre again this week.

As things have ground to a halt, other than trying to starve and freeze Ukraine, simpleton Putin is again going down the nuclear fear route with Biden and Europe.

https://apnews.com/article/putin-moscow-strikes-united-states-government-russia-

Worth a go I suppose, but it’s pretty pathetic. He can make up any excuse he wants behind a first strike. It’s all the same and so is the outcome. It’s not an option.

The reality is that the state of Russia, including the bit it nabbed from the Germans at the end of WW2 (old Prussia) is under no threat from anybody. It hasn’t been since 1945. I’m sure Putin and the toadies know this. Empty threats.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 10:55 - Dec 10 with 8019 viewsEdwardStone

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:18 - Dec 10 by Churchman

Interesting that Putin has again been rattling his rusty little sabre again this week.

As things have ground to a halt, other than trying to starve and freeze Ukraine, simpleton Putin is again going down the nuclear fear route with Biden and Europe.

https://apnews.com/article/putin-moscow-strikes-united-states-government-russia-

Worth a go I suppose, but it’s pretty pathetic. He can make up any excuse he wants behind a first strike. It’s all the same and so is the outcome. It’s not an option.

The reality is that the state of Russia, including the bit it nabbed from the Germans at the end of WW2 (old Prussia) is under no threat from anybody. It hasn’t been since 1945. I’m sure Putin and the toadies know this. Empty threats.

Classic bully/abuser behaviour

A raft of threats followed by reassurance they "Didn't really mean it"

A week or 2 of nothing, then a new series of threats and retractions

Putin really is a damaged human being.... with very smelly undercrackers
Login to get fewer ads

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 19:25 - Dec 12 with 7903 viewsEireannach_gorm

While Russia continues to target civilian targets, the Ukrainians get on with winning the war ( and regaining Crimea ).

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 20:52 - Dec 12 with 7866 viewsKropotkin123

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 19:25 - Dec 12 by Eireannach_gorm

While Russia continues to target civilian targets, the Ukrainians get on with winning the war ( and regaining Crimea ).

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 00:05 - Dec 13 with 7824 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 20:52 - Dec 12 by Kropotkin123

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing

Agreed. The implication of equipment like this is potentially considerable, depending on supplies. They could for example make Russias presence in occupied Crimea untenable, particularly if they finish the job on that bridge.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 19:09 - Dec 13 with 7714 viewsEireannach_gorm

Childrens Hospital in Kyiv.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 18:50 - Dec 14 with 7604 viewsEireannach_gorm

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 18:54 - Dec 14 with 7583 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 18:50 - Dec 14 by Eireannach_gorm

Ahhh, that famed Russian sense of humour. I bet old Putin will be rolling about with laughter as he reads his dirty joke out from his Christmas cracker this year.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 17:48 - Dec 15 with 7458 viewsEireannach_gorm

Very interesting Russian vox pop.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 11:47 - Dec 16 with 7378 viewsStokieBlue

Not sure if it's been posted but this could be a pretty big deal:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63994648

If true it should allow the Ukrainians to defend their infrastructure from cruise missiles and drones with a very high effectiveness.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 12:30 - Dec 16 with 7342 viewsEireannach_gorm

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 11:47 - Dec 16 by StokieBlue

Not sure if it's been posted but this could be a pretty big deal:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63994648

If true it should allow the Ukrainians to defend their infrastructure from cruise missiles and drones with a very high effectiveness.

SB

While this is a good thing, they will not be sending many and the Patriot system is a complicated and not very mobile 3 vehicle system. So unfortunately not a game changer just a deterrent and aid to prevent Russia gaining air superiority over Ukraine.

This is driven by the fact that Iran is now going to send missiles as well as drones to Russia.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 12:49 - Dec 16 with 7328 viewsStokieBlue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 12:30 - Dec 16 by Eireannach_gorm

While this is a good thing, they will not be sending many and the Patriot system is a complicated and not very mobile 3 vehicle system. So unfortunately not a game changer just a deterrent and aid to prevent Russia gaining air superiority over Ukraine.

This is driven by the fact that Iran is now going to send missiles as well as drones to Russia.

Whilst those things are true it doesn't need to be hugely mobile to protect the main infrastructure with a given range of up to 160 miles. It'll be enough to stop drones and cruise missiles knocking out power stations for instance at the currently levels.

Hundreds of ballistic missiles would be a problem though if that is true as it would require a greater number of Patriots. Main thing would to get the infrastructure through the winter months I would think.

Iran are going to end up alienating themselves even more taking this path (especially when coupled with their reactions to the protests) at a time when they had a chance to come back into the fold by moving away from Russia and possibly selling their oil to the West.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 13:45 - Dec 16 with 7294 viewsEireannach_gorm

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 17:48 - Dec 15 by Eireannach_gorm

Very interesting Russian vox pop.

I suspect that this couple have a television.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 14:08 - Dec 16 with 7271 viewsBlueNomad

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 13:45 - Dec 16 by Eireannach_gorm

I suspect that this couple have a television.

Interesting that all those on the clips posted who are spitting bile and supporting the war are older people.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 17:50 - Dec 16 with 7183 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 14:08 - Dec 16 by BlueNomad

Interesting that all those on the clips posted who are spitting bile and supporting the war are older people.

The younger people are far more suspicious, careful and open minded than the older ones. Especially the two old fossils who seem to rather delight in the killing of people. Maybe he’s not seen what bad stuff looks like for real.

Anyway, when I see interviews like those with the more yooful people, it tells me there is hope there for Russia. One day.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 19:54 - Dec 16 with 7131 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 17:50 - Dec 16 by Churchman

The younger people are far more suspicious, careful and open minded than the older ones. Especially the two old fossils who seem to rather delight in the killing of people. Maybe he’s not seen what bad stuff looks like for real.

Anyway, when I see interviews like those with the more yooful people, it tells me there is hope there for Russia. One day.

This is exactly how I saw that clip.

There are other things to note such as how people decide what information to trust and how it plays to their own pre-conceived bias but there is a real hope if that footage is truly representative of the younger generation.

I am sure there are a lot of people with history and relatives in Ukraine too and that has got to be very harmful to Putin and his agenda.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 20:39 - Dec 16 with 7099 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 19:54 - Dec 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

This is exactly how I saw that clip.

There are other things to note such as how people decide what information to trust and how it plays to their own pre-conceived bias but there is a real hope if that footage is truly representative of the younger generation.

I am sure there are a lot of people with history and relatives in Ukraine too and that has got to be very harmful to Putin and his agenda.

Agreed. That and the Russian soldiers’ stories, the silence over those that don’t come home and the boxes of those that do.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 07:48 - Dec 18 with 6901 viewsChurchman

So it looks like Sunak in not supportive of Ukraine after all. If you start the audit and dashboard route, you are assessing whether it’s worth the effort. This completely misses the point as to why the war is being fought, the rights and the wrongs of it.

You either commit to pushing Russia out of Ukraine or to Russia’s victory with all the long term consequences of that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64006121

I’ve no doubt the UKs contribution will quietly be reduced to zero, if it’s not already done so. Maybe the shortage of party donations and the lure of the rouble bag is outweighing what is right.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:22 - Dec 18 with 6852 viewsWeWereZombies

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 07:48 - Dec 18 by Churchman

So it looks like Sunak in not supportive of Ukraine after all. If you start the audit and dashboard route, you are assessing whether it’s worth the effort. This completely misses the point as to why the war is being fought, the rights and the wrongs of it.

You either commit to pushing Russia out of Ukraine or to Russia’s victory with all the long term consequences of that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64006121

I’ve no doubt the UKs contribution will quietly be reduced to zero, if it’s not already done so. Maybe the shortage of party donations and the lure of the rouble bag is outweighing what is right.

I do doubt that the United Kingdom's contribution to Ukraine will be reduced to zero, there are too many people providing housing and other support to Ukrainian refugees for that to happen. What I hope Sunak's 'dashboard' approach will show up is that we need to move military defence away from an Atlantic facing set of scenarios and concentrate more on Arctic facing ones - but I do doubt that this will commence under the current administration, yet another reason for hoping that Starmer and his team are put in place sooner rather than later.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024