Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. 17:42 - Apr 25 with 419300 viewsEireannach_gorm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/25/evidence-ukraine-women-raped-befor

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-turned-a-bucha-building-into-an-execution-si
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 16:50 - Feb 9 with 6457 viewsKievthegreat

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 16:38 - Feb 9 by DJR

Actually, I had seen your previous post about the confusion about what constitutes a tank, but that would have spoiled the ?joke? in my post.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2023 16:40]

Oh no, do I need to be whooshed?
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 17:06 - Feb 9 with 6412 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:31 - Feb 9 by DJR

On the propaganda front, I think the issue I have is that any view that isn't total victory for Ukraine has been effectively silenced in this country.

Take, for example, PMQs yesterday. Both Sunak and Starmer pledged their support for the victory of Ukraine, which I took to mean the expulsion of Russia from Ukraine.

The question I have is whether this is an achievable result.

In my view, Ukraine has done exceptionally well to limit Russian advances, and even regain land, and it would seem to me an incredible achievement even to restore the borders to what they were immediately before the invasion.

I am no expert but I think it would be very difficult to expel Russia from Crimea. Russia, and probably the people of Crimea, would presumably fight to the end to defend it, and the only way I could see it being taken back would be for it to be razed to the ground, with presumably thousands and thousands of casualties. It also strikes me that in such circumstance Putin could revert to very desperate measures.

In the light of all this, I wonder if, say, the recapture of Crimea is a sensible or feasible war aim at least from a Western point of view.

Of course, it could be that Western countries realise there are limits to what can be achieved, but are not going to spell this out in public. Or the weapons etc promised are designed to prevent Russia making further advances. But I do think there is a danger of the West going too far, with unknown consequences, partly because of pre-Ukraine war failings, partly because of peer country pressure and, maybe in the UK, partly to boost Johnson or Sunak. I also sense there are people in Germany and the Pentagon, at least, who share this concern.

In this connection, it is interesting to note that there has been a rowing back today on slightly gung ho suggestions yesterday that the UK will provide fighter jets.

I would just conclude by saying that the only good thing to emerge from the war in Ukraine is that it appears to have proved that Russia does not have the capacity to invade any NATO or prospective NATO country, given that after nearly a year its gains have been so minimal in a country which is not even a NATO member.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2023 15:38]

I see a return to Jan 2022 borders as an achievable aim and a rightful one. In fact if Putin is to be deterred, anything less is a defeat. But I doubt Ukraine will be able to achieve it without considerably more support. Given Western Europe’s military and US political weakness I doubt it’ll happen. I do not see the return of the Crimea to Ukraine as realistic either. It’s use is as a bargaining chip in my view.

If you mean by desperate measures Putin using nuclear weapons, it isn’t going to happen. There is nothing to be gained by it. Their use is to frighten and I see Russia has been sabre rattling again today against U.K. following Zelenski’s visit. Scaring with threat has been one of Putin’s most successful tactics.

On the subject of tanks and armoured fighting vehicles, this war has proved that they can only be used in conjunction with other assets. On their own, they are vulnerable. They always were, of course, but the development of drones, long range hand held weapons have reduced their effectiveness. However, for the media, they carry a powerful image, even if the picture is not of a tank.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2023 18:24]
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 17:39 - Feb 9 with 6364 viewsDJR

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 16:48 - Feb 9 by Kievthegreat

War end by mutual consent. Sometimes that's because it's not worth the cost to carrying on (Vietnam for example). Sometimes because a country is shattered to the point where it lacks the capacity to go on (Germany in WW2). Can Ukraine win a total victory, liberating Crimea and the whole of the Donbass? Possibly, but it will be hard. Oddly though I think the Donbass will be harder to reclaim than Crimea.

If Ukraine can reach the Sea of Azov, then holding Crimea will quickly become untenable. Ukraine will be in range to hit the Kerch bridge with longer range MLRS and cut off supply to Crimea. If Ukraine reclaims the Southern bank of the Dnipro river opposite Kherson and particular the town of Nova Kakhovka, they control the majority of the water supply to Crimea (a key facility for Russia to control as Ukraine stopped the flow of water after the 2014 occupation).

Will the war get that far? Possibly not, it depends on the will of both sides and how long it goes on for. The thing that recurs in many wars throughout history is usually a hardening of softening of a nation's resolve. Vietnam saw American resolve weaken as they questioned the point of the war and North Vietnamese harden in what was a fight for survival, leading to America to decide it was not worth it. WW2 saw enormously hardened resolve on most major powers such that the war was total and the Axis didn't surrender even when it was clear by 1943 that there was only 1 side that could win.

I think Russia and Ukraine are both hardening. Russia are pitching it as an existential battle against all of NATO, Ukraine for the survival of their country, anger caused by Russian atrocities and emboldened by military victories. Until there is a softening of resolve, I don't think we can see where the cards will finally fall yet. Until then both sides will continue to push for "total victory". In public at least.

Thanks for the insight.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 18:59 - Feb 9 with 6298 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 23:53 - Feb 8 by ChorleyBoy

I've been avidly following the news snippets posted by various people to this thread for nearly a year now and we now seem to entering a completely new situation. Now it appears the Russians are going to make shock gains in Ukraine despite the fact that we've been told the Russians' antiquated weapons have been in short supply and wave upon wave of unwilling and untrained Russian reservists have been falling on the front line to a superior and Ukraine army. Well, the news isn't a shock to me at all, but I guess that's because I have also been accessing news sources which have proved to be far more reliable.

There are few better qualified than Colonel MacGregor and he's been spot on with everything he's said to date. Here's one of his latest:

Check out what he says at 23:50 about the Abrams m1 series tanks and then his comments to the end of the video.

If we continue to arm the Ukrainians with more weapons as you appear to be wanting, we are just increasing the number of dead Ukrainians and that sickens me as much as the war itself.

"If we continue to arm the Ukrainians with more weapons as you appear to be wanting, we are just increasing the number of dead Ukrainians and that sickens me as much as the war itself."

You would rather force Ukraine to surrender and have the Russians impose whatever rule they want.

You sicken me.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 07:46 - Feb 10 with 6104 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 18:59 - Feb 9 by Nthsuffolkblue

"If we continue to arm the Ukrainians with more weapons as you appear to be wanting, we are just increasing the number of dead Ukrainians and that sickens me as much as the war itself."

You would rather force Ukraine to surrender and have the Russians impose whatever rule they want.

You sicken me.

As an appeaser/Putin apologist, Ukraine surrender is exactly what he’d prefer. It nauseates me.

The strange thing is that the rights and wrongs of this conflict are about as obvious as you can possibly get. There is nothing complex about it, not least because the Kremlin animal is about as simple a creature as you can get.

Yet still people try to justify his actions, pin the blame on others, swallow all the nonsense.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:42 - Feb 10 with 6062 viewsDJR

Going back to the video of Colonel Douglas Macgregor, I always like to check the background of people that I don't know who express views in public, particularly if it is on the internet.

Looking at his Wikipedia entry, it appears he has some pretty unsavoury views, including views that could be regards as racist or antisemitic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Macgregor

And anything he says on Ukraine has to be seen in the light of the following from that entry.

"In 2014, after Russia annexed Crimea and was engaged in a conflict with Ukraine over its eastern parts, Macgregor appeared on Russian state-owned network RT where he called for the annexation of the Donbas and said residents of the region "are in fact Russians, not Ukrainians, and at the same time, you have Ukrainians in the west and in the north, who are not Russians".

After Russia's invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, Macgregor appeared on three Fox News programs in February and early March to speak in support of Russia's actions. Three days after the war began, he said "The battle in eastern Ukraine is really almost over," and predicted "If [Ukraine] don't surrender in the next 24 hours, I suspect Russia will ultimately annihilate them." Macgregor said he believed Russia should be allowed to seize whatever parts of Ukraine it wanted. In his second appearance, he revised his prediction: "The first five days Russian forces I think frankly were too gentle. They've now corrected that. So, I would say another 10 days this should be completely over... I think the most heroic thing he could do right now is come to terms with reality. Neutralize Ukraine."

Leaving aside his political views on the Ukraine-Russia conflict, the fact that the war has gone on for nearly a year must call into question his military expertise if he thought the war would be over in no time.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 12:01 - Feb 10 with 6000 viewsEireannach_gorm

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 23:53 - Feb 8 by ChorleyBoy

I've been avidly following the news snippets posted by various people to this thread for nearly a year now and we now seem to entering a completely new situation. Now it appears the Russians are going to make shock gains in Ukraine despite the fact that we've been told the Russians' antiquated weapons have been in short supply and wave upon wave of unwilling and untrained Russian reservists have been falling on the front line to a superior and Ukraine army. Well, the news isn't a shock to me at all, but I guess that's because I have also been accessing news sources which have proved to be far more reliable.

There are few better qualified than Colonel MacGregor and he's been spot on with everything he's said to date. Here's one of his latest:

Check out what he says at 23:50 about the Abrams m1 series tanks and then his comments to the end of the video.

If we continue to arm the Ukrainians with more weapons as you appear to be wanting, we are just increasing the number of dead Ukrainians and that sickens me as much as the war itself.

The reason that I dont put up views from the Russian perspective is because, like the concentration camp guards, there is no reason that justifies what they did. I have been amiss by not posting 'the other side of the story' so here is some insightful Russian TV.

Thought you might like this one.

Small sample of further insights.

Topical ones

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 13:14 - Feb 10 with 5944 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 12:01 - Feb 10 by Eireannach_gorm

The reason that I dont put up views from the Russian perspective is because, like the concentration camp guards, there is no reason that justifies what they did. I have been amiss by not posting 'the other side of the story' so here is some insightful Russian TV.

Thought you might like this one.

Small sample of further insights.

Topical ones

I’ve seen and read much of what they’ve said. Not only is it pathetic, but the majority of the Russian people believe it - and plenty in this country.

It’s clear that the tools in your links are loving it. I particularly like the basket case who wants to seal up the border with tactical nuclear weapons.

I love it when these people use throwaway lines about tactical nuclear weapons as if they are some sort of normal weapon with a bit on top. By and large, these things are a lot more powerful than what was dropped on Japan.

If Putin tries that, I can see that being game over for him. He might be nuts, but he won’t do it.
Login to get fewer ads

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 20:01 - Feb 12 with 5732 viewsEireannach_gorm

Seems Putin believes in Brexit.

https://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2022/10/27/4961602640318778432/1024x576_
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 23:22 - Feb 12 with 5631 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 07:46 - Feb 10 by Churchman

As an appeaser/Putin apologist, Ukraine surrender is exactly what he’d prefer. It nauseates me.

The strange thing is that the rights and wrongs of this conflict are about as obvious as you can possibly get. There is nothing complex about it, not least because the Kremlin animal is about as simple a creature as you can get.

Yet still people try to justify his actions, pin the blame on others, swallow all the nonsense.

I know a good number of Ukranians and not one of them has ever expressed a desire that Ukraine just surrender so the war can end.

If Russia had gained rapid possession of Ukraine as they (and the "expert" linked above) anticipated, they would have continued beyond those borders.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:52 - Feb 13 with 5462 viewsEireannach_gorm

This is laughable if it weren't so serious.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 16:23 - Feb 13 with 5434 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:52 - Feb 13 by Eireannach_gorm

To be fair, using his own logic that Ukraine belongs to Russia, we are arming Russia to defend itself from the aggressor attacking Russia.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 17:32 - Feb 13 with 5373 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:52 - Feb 13 by Eireannach_gorm

No it’s purely laughable. Not serious at all. The man is full of wind and p£ss and maybe needs to change his medication a but.

He and the rest of those idiots have been threatening for the best part of a year now. Empty threats. If not, just get on with it. Don’t issue threats if you are not prepared to carry them through. Potato heads like that berk know that it’s not viable; not an option.

The irony is that because the U.K. has a nuclear deterrent and they will know it’s operational and works, that’s why there is the regular verbal drivel on this. Best ignored, best to give Ukraine whatever we can - not that it’s muc( after 13 years of government cuts.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 10:02 - Feb 17 with 5189 viewsEireannach_gorm

Watched this documentary on Irish television the other night.

You can see why the Ukranians have an attitude problem with handing over their country to Russia.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 20:37 - Feb 19 with 5010 viewsEireannach_gorm

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 23:32 - Feb 19 with 4917 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 20:37 - Feb 19 by Eireannach_gorm

If Moldova wants to become part of Russia, it will. Whether the faction that want it are the majority is irrelevant. It’s all about putting your people in place as happened in Austria and the rest will fall into place with a little persuasion. It’s what dictators do. Strength v weakness.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 12:32 - Feb 20 with 4726 viewsEireannach_gorm

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 23:32 - Feb 19 by Churchman

If Moldova wants to become part of Russia, it will. Whether the faction that want it are the majority is irrelevant. It’s all about putting your people in place as happened in Austria and the rest will fall into place with a little persuasion. It’s what dictators do. Strength v weakness.

Good luck with land locked Moldova trading with Russia.

In other news the mere fact that Poland has restricted the crossings to Belarus has caused them consternation. Would appear that being dependant on Russia for trade is not the greatest position to be in.

[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 12:52]
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 14:50 - Feb 20 with 4649 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 12:32 - Feb 20 by Eireannach_gorm

Good luck with land locked Moldova trading with Russia.

In other news the mere fact that Poland has restricted the crossings to Belarus has caused them consternation. Would appear that being dependant on Russia for trade is not the greatest position to be in.

[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 12:52]

It’s a bit rock and a hard place for Belarus. Belarus is second rate Russia. Russia lite. Putin has his poodle running it and if he says jump, Mr poodle says how high. Still, I suspect if there was a Belarus vote on whether to stick with Russia or become totally independent, the ‘stay with Putin regardless of how poor it makes us’ vote would be 108%.

You are right re Moldova. I suspect it’ll only fall onto Vlad’s bonbon dish once/if Ukraine is taken.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:48 - Feb 20 with 4594 viewsEireannach_gorm

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 14:50 - Feb 20 by Churchman

It’s a bit rock and a hard place for Belarus. Belarus is second rate Russia. Russia lite. Putin has his poodle running it and if he says jump, Mr poodle says how high. Still, I suspect if there was a Belarus vote on whether to stick with Russia or become totally independent, the ‘stay with Putin regardless of how poor it makes us’ vote would be 108%.

You are right re Moldova. I suspect it’ll only fall onto Vlad’s bonbon dish once/if Ukraine is taken.

Belarus are trying to be all things to all men but unlike Turkey are beholding to Russia. Lukashenko is playing a dangerous game by supporting Russia right up to the point of supplying troops for an invasion. He knows that there is no support in Belarus for this Russian war and could be a breaking point on his hold of the country.

Another thing about the Russian invasion from Belarus posturing is that it could not succeed anyway due to the swampy nature of most of the Ukraine/Belarus border. This is why the initial invasion was unsuccessful because there are limited tank crossing points.It was always a diversion while Russia built up troops on the other fronts.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 17:18 - Feb 21 with 4344 viewsgiant_stow

A link from my man Ambrose on China's dilemma in whether to back Russia with weapons:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/02/21/will-china-let-putins-regime-col

Also makes the point that maybe everything isn't so rosy for Russia's economy has has been recently suggested.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:33 - Feb 24 with 4146 viewsEireannach_gorm

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:37 - Feb 24 with 4119 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 17:18 - Feb 21 by giant_stow

A link from my man Ambrose on China's dilemma in whether to back Russia with weapons:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/02/21/will-china-let-putins-regime-col

Also makes the point that maybe everything isn't so rosy for Russia's economy has has been recently suggested.

The only people that are suggesting everything is rosy with Russias economy is…Russia.

The economy shrank by 10pc last year - that’s a HUGE contraction. Interest rates are high, they can’t get access to western capital and tech, and they are having to burn gas because they can’t sell it.

Other than that it’s fine…
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 10:02 - Feb 24 with 4093 viewsBloomBlue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:37 - Feb 24 by SuperKieranMcKenna

The only people that are suggesting everything is rosy with Russias economy is…Russia.

The economy shrank by 10pc last year - that’s a HUGE contraction. Interest rates are high, they can’t get access to western capital and tech, and they are having to burn gas because they can’t sell it.

Other than that it’s fine…

They don't need Western tech, they have Chinese tech, which when it comes to hardware underpins a huge percentage of Western tech.

Plus very soon they will have Chinese weapons.

You're correct re gas but oil is offsetting that loss, India for example is again increasing the amount of oil its buying Russia
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 10:13 - Feb 24 with 4081 viewsKievthegreat

The 3 day "Special Military Operation" reaches it's first anniversary and what have we learned? That the supposed "2nd best army in the world" was actually just the 2nd best army in Ukraine.

Jokes aside, it does appear that Russia's current offensive is achieving very little right now except depleting their supplies and men. BTR-50 APCs have now been spotted on the front lines, a vehicle designed in the early 50s that has such thin armour that in can be pierced by small arms fires anywhere except head on, maybe we'll start seeing T34s soon!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTR-50
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 10:19 - Feb 24 with 4064 viewsEireannach_gorm

Go F yourself Russia

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024