Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. 17:42 - Apr 25 with 419458 viewsEireannach_gorm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/25/evidence-ukraine-women-raped-befor

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-turned-a-bucha-building-into-an-execution-si
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 13:28 - May 12 with 3622 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 12:58 - May 12 by WeWereZombies

Attacks on commercial shipping would be one way, under pretexts of vessels being in Russian waters. With global heating opening up the Northern Sea Route ever more then this is not just a question of Russia venturing into the, often disputed reach, of other European nations maritime boundaries but also restricting new traffic to its immediate north and China, being the main beneficiary of the shorter sea passage, will find ways to make the West pay.

Escalation of the various proxy wars around the Globe, e.g. Syria, would be another.

Options for attacking the U.K. are verbal threats, direct or through their mad tv programmes. Who cares. Poisoning or assassinating people. Bit counter productive really. Shoot an airliner down? Bit pointless. Shipping? How, with what, where? Not going to happen.

There is nothing they can do. Nuclear weapons is no option for them. There is no threat to us. Let them blunder and bluster on and continue to support Ukraine as best we can.

All those lives lost for one man’s lunatic dream.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 14:20 - May 12 with 3573 viewsgiant_stow

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 13:12 - May 12 by StokieBlue

That's all quite different to direct action against the UK which was what you highlighted in your previous post.

Escalating proxy wars is something they can do but ultimately it doesn't affect the UK directly either. Attacks on shipping are possible but unlikely I would think given how much that could affect global commerce and thus turn more countries against Russia.

SB

Out of interest, what do you/others think would happen if Russia lobbed a conventional missile into London?

How would we retaliate, if at all?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:09 - May 12 with 3556 viewsWeWereZombies

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 13:12 - May 12 by StokieBlue

That's all quite different to direct action against the UK which was what you highlighted in your previous post.

Escalating proxy wars is something they can do but ultimately it doesn't affect the UK directly either. Attacks on shipping are possible but unlikely I would think given how much that could affect global commerce and thus turn more countries against Russia.

SB

Interesting, must be quite comforting for the relatives of mariners and passengers on shipping sunk by U-Boats during World War Two to know that their kin were not victims of direct action...

I don't know if you have noticed but Putin's game plan in Machiavellian terms is to forgo the Prince who rules by being both loved and feared bit and just make do with the residual rule by fear alone.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:20 - May 12 with 3549 viewsStokieBlue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:09 - May 12 by WeWereZombies

Interesting, must be quite comforting for the relatives of mariners and passengers on shipping sunk by U-Boats during World War Two to know that their kin were not victims of direct action...

I don't know if you have noticed but Putin's game plan in Machiavellian terms is to forgo the Prince who rules by being both loved and feared bit and just make do with the residual rule by fear alone.

My reply was more along the lines that you cited direct military action against the UK "archipelago" and then gave a numerous possible scenarios, none of which were direct action against the UK. Other posters also responded in a similar way given you cited direct action against these islands.

This reply is twisting my response in a rather unpleasant way, something which you never used to do.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:25 - May 12 with 3540 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 14:20 - May 12 by giant_stow

Out of interest, what do you/others think would happen if Russia lobbed a conventional missile into London?

How would we retaliate, if at all?

It’d be the end of Russia. It won’t happen.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:26 - May 12 with 3539 viewsWeWereZombies

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:20 - May 12 by StokieBlue

My reply was more along the lines that you cited direct military action against the UK "archipelago" and then gave a numerous possible scenarios, none of which were direct action against the UK. Other posters also responded in a similar way given you cited direct action against these islands.

This reply is twisting my response in a rather unpleasant way, something which you never used to do.

SB

Oh, for goodness sake. There are moves and counter moves going on all the time on the international stage. All I am trying to do is point out the danger of escalations in the military response, although the players may have no option but to change the approach in this grisly game of human chess. A bit of perspective and nous please.

[edit] By the way, the archipelago includes the island of Ireland, Man, the Channel Islands, the Scillies, Shetland, the Orkneys and numerous Western Islands amongst others...oh, and Great Britain too. My use of archipelago was really to be inclusive of Eirenneach Gorm as a tip of the hat to the suffering heaped upon Irish shipping during the Emergency when the Nazis only concession to the non-combatants was to radio trawlers and the like before sinking them, British ships got no warning. Suspect the Russians would proceed along similar lines if things really deteriorated.
[Post edited 12 May 2023 15:34]

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:41 - May 12 with 3523 viewsStokieBlue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:26 - May 12 by WeWereZombies

Oh, for goodness sake. There are moves and counter moves going on all the time on the international stage. All I am trying to do is point out the danger of escalations in the military response, although the players may have no option but to change the approach in this grisly game of human chess. A bit of perspective and nous please.

[edit] By the way, the archipelago includes the island of Ireland, Man, the Channel Islands, the Scillies, Shetland, the Orkneys and numerous Western Islands amongst others...oh, and Great Britain too. My use of archipelago was really to be inclusive of Eirenneach Gorm as a tip of the hat to the suffering heaped upon Irish shipping during the Emergency when the Nazis only concession to the non-combatants was to radio trawlers and the like before sinking them, British ships got no warning. Suspect the Russians would proceed along similar lines if things really deteriorated.
[Post edited 12 May 2023 15:34]

It was more the citing of non-combatants in WW2 that wasn't required - the scenarios are wildly different.

So to move the debate on, if you're worried about escalation then do you think the West and the UK specifically shouldn't be aiding Ukraine with weapons?

I can't really see any scenario where the Russian's are attacking British or European shipping - Russia doesn't want a war with Europe no matter how much Putin blusters.

Fair point on archipelago, although it doesn't really change the context.

SB

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:49 - May 12 with 3516 viewsWeWereZombies

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:41 - May 12 by StokieBlue

It was more the citing of non-combatants in WW2 that wasn't required - the scenarios are wildly different.

So to move the debate on, if you're worried about escalation then do you think the West and the UK specifically shouldn't be aiding Ukraine with weapons?

I can't really see any scenario where the Russian's are attacking British or European shipping - Russia doesn't want a war with Europe no matter how much Putin blusters.

Fair point on archipelago, although it doesn't really change the context.

SB

Not so much that we shouldn't be sending weaponry to Ukraine, under the right circumstances (and better minds than mine and which have a bearing on the action will already have weighed this up and decided that this is the time) we should. But we need to be presenting Russia with an exit at the same time (because the Bear is too big to defeat outright) to have an effective strategy to bring an end to war. I am concerned that this thread descends into tub thumping and triumphalism (or despair) at times without fully acknowledging that real people with real lives being lost are involved.

Login to get fewer ads

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:50 - May 12 with 3516 viewsgiant_stow

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:25 - May 12 by Churchman

It’d be the end of Russia. It won’t happen.

Fair play - you're probably right, but I'm just pondering out loud really.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 16:00 - May 12 with 3506 viewsStokieBlue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:49 - May 12 by WeWereZombies

Not so much that we shouldn't be sending weaponry to Ukraine, under the right circumstances (and better minds than mine and which have a bearing on the action will already have weighed this up and decided that this is the time) we should. But we need to be presenting Russia with an exit at the same time (because the Bear is too big to defeat outright) to have an effective strategy to bring an end to war. I am concerned that this thread descends into tub thumping and triumphalism (or despair) at times without fully acknowledging that real people with real lives being lost are involved.

But recent history shows us they have no interest in withdrawing their troops from annexed regions (see Crimea) so you're essentially saying "might is right" because the only way they will stop is if they get to keep all the bits they have annexed this time.

Why should Ukraine agree to that?

The human suffering is awful but you're essentially saying you'd be happy for your area of Scotland to be annexed if Russia invaded if it meant an end to the war. I wonder if you'd feel the same if it happened and you were living in that area.

SB
[Post edited 12 May 2023 16:04]

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 16:11 - May 12 with 3490 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:49 - May 12 by WeWereZombies

There is no triumphalism or tub thumping with so many lives destroyed.

What we have is a regime that decided to expand by swallowing another country because that regime feels they can. Russia can end this tomorrow. It can take its people out of a recognised sovereign country. The war will end right there and then. Easy.

Giving up territory to offer Russia a way out, i.e. surrender on the basis it will stop the carnage, is fundamentally wrong and also futile. If aggression is rewarded, like a blackmailer they’ll go again and will also encourage every other aggressive state to do the same. More lives lost.

There is no threat to Russia. Apart from Kenny Everett (‘let’s bomb Russia!’j about 40 years ago, nobody is threatening it. Nobody will. It too is a sovereign state. The ball is very much in Putin’s court, provided the west holds its nerve. Putin can end this tomorrow if he chooses.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 16:33 - May 12 with 3479 viewsWeWereZombies

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 16:00 - May 12 by StokieBlue

But recent history shows us they have no interest in withdrawing their troops from annexed regions (see Crimea) so you're essentially saying "might is right" because the only way they will stop is if they get to keep all the bits they have annexed this time.

Why should Ukraine agree to that?

The human suffering is awful but you're essentially saying you'd be happy for your area of Scotland to be annexed if Russia invaded if it meant an end to the war. I wonder if you'd feel the same if it happened and you were living in that area.

SB
[Post edited 12 May 2023 16:04]

I haven't mentioned surrendering territory to Russia at all. But we have had a situation almost since Crimea was invaded there has also been a de facto occupation of Donetsk and surrounding areas by separatist rebels allied to Russia i.e. recognition of the government in Kyiv has not been complete. Add to that the issues concerning people who only speak Russian (not limited to Ukraine, see also Estonia, Latvia, even Poland) with allegations of bullying of children at school all the way up to the civil war conditions and we have seemingly irreconcilable differences (just as there were in the Sudetenland before World War Two.) So how to defuse this ?

But we saw in the lead up to the Good Friday Agreement that decent politicians and resolute public opinion can change things for the better (perhaps temporarily in our case given the rise of indecent politicians and increasing public disillusion.) So my position is for minimal war and maximal self determination. Do not assume that I expect appeasement to deliver this.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 16:35 - May 12 with 3478 viewsWeWereZombies

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 16:11 - May 12 by Churchman

There is no triumphalism or tub thumping with so many lives destroyed.

What we have is a regime that decided to expand by swallowing another country because that regime feels they can. Russia can end this tomorrow. It can take its people out of a recognised sovereign country. The war will end right there and then. Easy.

Giving up territory to offer Russia a way out, i.e. surrender on the basis it will stop the carnage, is fundamentally wrong and also futile. If aggression is rewarded, like a blackmailer they’ll go again and will also encourage every other aggressive state to do the same. More lives lost.

There is no threat to Russia. Apart from Kenny Everett (‘let’s bomb Russia!’j about 40 years ago, nobody is threatening it. Nobody will. It too is a sovereign state. The ball is very much in Putin’s court, provided the west holds its nerve. Putin can end this tomorrow if he chooses.

See reply to Stokie at 16:33 please.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 13:04 - May 13 with 3404 viewsKievthegreat

Not a good day for the Russia Airforce. A Mi-8 transport helicopter and a jet, possibly an Su-34 have been shot down in Russia. Possibly in friendly fire incidents.

Thread:

Not much better on the ground. There was a large strike on a factory yesterday and a military administration building today, supposedly by the new Storm Shadow weapons. Great job!

I wonder what production rates we could sustain for Storm Shadows?
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 13:08 - May 13 with 3395 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 13:04 - May 13 by Kievthegreat

Not a good day for the Russia Airforce. A Mi-8 transport helicopter and a jet, possibly an Su-34 have been shot down in Russia. Possibly in friendly fire incidents.

Thread:

Not much better on the ground. There was a large strike on a factory yesterday and a military administration building today, supposedly by the new Storm Shadow weapons. Great job!

That factory is going to need a lick of paint.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:07 - May 13 with 3339 viewsKievthegreat

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 13:04 - May 13 by Kievthegreat

Thread:

Make that 2 jets and 2 helicopters, including potentially the electronic warfare variant of the Mi-8 chopper. Pretty shambolic from Russia.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:36 - May 15 with 3194 viewsEireannach_gorm

' Prison numbers at an all time low...... '

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 18:52 - May 15 with 3139 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:36 - May 15 by Eireannach_gorm

' Prison numbers at an all time low...... '

This bloke, along with the rest of Putin’s mouthpieces is a complete tool.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 22:40 - May 15 with 3071 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Russia losing regardless of UK supplies?

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/kremlin-says-uk-military-aid-110512581.html

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 00:57 - May 16 with 3042 viewsEireannach_gorm

Even the dogs in Ukraine need prosthetic limbs with all the Russian shelling.

[Post edited 16 May 2023 17:54]
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:13 - May 16 with 2939 viewsEireannach_gorm

Russians use prisoners, Ukrainians use geese!

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:37 - May 16 with 2925 viewsKievthegreat

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:13 - May 16 by Eireannach_gorm

Russians use prisoners, Ukrainians use geese!

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 23:26 - May 16 with 2851 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:37 - May 16 by Kievthegreat

A promising development?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/putin-and-zelensky-agree-to-meet-african-le

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 14:35 - May 17 with 2727 viewsEireannach_gorm

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 23:26 - May 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

A promising development?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/putin-and-zelensky-agree-to-meet-african-le

No, I don't think so. It suits both parties in this war to play for time. Ukraine have not got enough ordnance to commence the counteroffensive yet and Russia wish to prepare for it.

Don't think that South Africa is an honest broker in this either.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:17 - May 22 with 2506 viewsKievthegreat

Well there were a lot of potential targets for the counter offensive, but I don't think many people had Belgorod (or should that be Bilhorod?) as being a target!

It seems the had been a Ukrainian incursion into the Belgorod Oblast. Some talk of it being official Ukrainian army, some talk of it being the Russian volunteers which seems the dominant viewpoint and some talk (tongue in cheek) of it being Belgorad separatist rebels 2014 style. Either way it looks like Ukraine taking advantage of a lightly defended sector of the front.

My favourite take:
[Post edited 22 May 2023 15:21]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024