Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Umbro confirmed tonight? 20:19 - Jun 13 with 4615 viewsBig_Jase

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

Umbro confirmed tonight? on 10:59 - Jun 14 with 457 viewsWeWereZombies

Top (almost) def into, I do hope that you take no umbroge towards those who doubted you...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Umbro confirmed tonight? on 11:03 - Jun 14 with 445 viewsSTYG

Umbro confirmed tonight? on 10:20 - Jun 14 by stopmoaning

Are shirt number sales published or something?

Or is that made up?

I wouldn't like to predict whether we sell more than Sheffield Wednesday or Derby or Sheffield United. I would imagine they would all be close.

But you don't need official figures to know we sell less than Manchester United and Juventus and more than Morecambe and Swindon.

There have been figures published before and, outside of the big 12-14 Premier League clubs that have stayed there over a period of time and build up followings in Asia, US, Africa etc, it's pretty much an almost identical percentage (15-25% which I guess varies for design and quality) of the fan base that buy shirts.

If you're getting 30,000 a week, the shirt sales tend to be around 6,000, or 2,000 for a club getting 10,000 a week give or take from what I recall. Whatever it was was pretty much linked to the size of the fan base / average crowd. There's no scenario where every Ipswich fan going to games has the new shirt but no Preston fan bothers. It's pretty similar.

So unless Luton or Brentford or Huddersfield produce genre defining classics that are snapped up the world over, then yes we do sell more than other Umbro clubs in the UK, Hearts included who are their biggest Scottish side. In our case, we have the Sheeran factor which will drive up sales that little bit more with his global fanbase which further strengthens our position over smaller clubs.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 11:04]
Umbro confirmed tonight? on 11:09 - Jun 14 with 423 viewsstopmoaning

Umbro confirmed tonight? on 11:03 - Jun 14 by STYG

I wouldn't like to predict whether we sell more than Sheffield Wednesday or Derby or Sheffield United. I would imagine they would all be close.

But you don't need official figures to know we sell less than Manchester United and Juventus and more than Morecambe and Swindon.

There have been figures published before and, outside of the big 12-14 Premier League clubs that have stayed there over a period of time and build up followings in Asia, US, Africa etc, it's pretty much an almost identical percentage (15-25% which I guess varies for design and quality) of the fan base that buy shirts.

If you're getting 30,000 a week, the shirt sales tend to be around 6,000, or 2,000 for a club getting 10,000 a week give or take from what I recall. Whatever it was was pretty much linked to the size of the fan base / average crowd. There's no scenario where every Ipswich fan going to games has the new shirt but no Preston fan bothers. It's pretty similar.

So unless Luton or Brentford or Huddersfield produce genre defining classics that are snapped up the world over, then yes we do sell more than other Umbro clubs in the UK, Hearts included who are their biggest Scottish side. In our case, we have the Sheeran factor which will drive up sales that little bit more with his global fanbase which further strengthens our position over smaller clubs.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 11:04]

It would be interesting to see some stats.

I am always amazed by the number of social media followers of clubs - just being in the premier league gives you a large following, Norwich are something like 5 times the amount of followers, does that equate into shirt sales?

Brentford don't have great attendance, but have a decent social media following, and last year had an actual world star playing for them - but again, no idea if that impacts sales a lot.

Also it was us they were tweeting about then!
Umbro confirmed tonight? on 11:17 - Jun 14 with 401 viewsSTYG

Umbro confirmed tonight? on 11:09 - Jun 14 by stopmoaning

It would be interesting to see some stats.

I am always amazed by the number of social media followers of clubs - just being in the premier league gives you a large following, Norwich are something like 5 times the amount of followers, does that equate into shirt sales?

Brentford don't have great attendance, but have a decent social media following, and last year had an actual world star playing for them - but again, no idea if that impacts sales a lot.

Also it was us they were tweeting about then!

There was a piece I think retweeted by the Price of Football saying that the link between social media followers and merchandise wasn't really that much. When Norwich are in the Premier League with 5 times the followers we have, they don't sell five times the shirts.

They sell more as a result and will always be a few more people overseas that purchase but I guess they've ended up with loads of accounts interested in Premier League football that follow them as well as overseas fans who have 'adopted' them but only a small number of those are going to spend £50 on a shirt, then shipping and so on.

The big clubs that have their shirts in the Nike / Adidas stores in Miami or Tokyo or whatever clearly do business but these are your Liverpool and Barcelona types that already sell so many that these outlets themselves are negligible in the big picture.

If I can locate the tweet I'll post it but it was several years back.
Umbro confirmed tonight? on 11:33 - Jun 14 with 375 viewsWeWereZombies

Umbro confirmed tonight? on 11:17 - Jun 14 by STYG

There was a piece I think retweeted by the Price of Football saying that the link between social media followers and merchandise wasn't really that much. When Norwich are in the Premier League with 5 times the followers we have, they don't sell five times the shirts.

They sell more as a result and will always be a few more people overseas that purchase but I guess they've ended up with loads of accounts interested in Premier League football that follow them as well as overseas fans who have 'adopted' them but only a small number of those are going to spend £50 on a shirt, then shipping and so on.

The big clubs that have their shirts in the Nike / Adidas stores in Miami or Tokyo or whatever clearly do business but these are your Liverpool and Barcelona types that already sell so many that these outlets themselves are negligible in the big picture.

If I can locate the tweet I'll post it but it was several years back.

I think you have to factor in that we have the logos of a World famous popular musician on the front of our shirts and Nodge do not.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Umbro confirmed tonight? on 19:55 - Jun 14 with 299 viewsSitfcB

Umbro confirmed tonight? on 10:30 - Jun 14 by Big_Jase

Yes, they would.

And on their main account…

Cheltenham looking silly, again.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024