Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! 09:49 - Jul 8 with 967 viewsDubtractor

As was mentioned in a gardening thread the other day, there are an abundance of aphids this year, and they are getting on my nerves. Not because of the damage they do, I can live with that, but because I can't sit in the garden without loads of the feckers landing on me!

Does anyone have any sure fire, environmentally friendly, tips for getting rid of them?

I've already removed loads of new growth from a couple of fruit trees (they love the fresh leaves), but that hasn't made much difference, despite evidently removing loads of the blighters.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 09:55 - Jul 8 with 904 viewsearlsgreenblue

Agent Orange, should sort the blighters for a decade or two, Yanks found it worked, I’ve seen the results.
FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 10:23 - Jul 8 with 876 viewschoppers

Dilute some vinegar, maybe 1:3 dilution, and spray on infected leaves. Might need a couple applications but worked for me
FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 10:33 - Jul 8 with 850 viewsParsley

I think the only option is to cover yourself in ladybirds
FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 10:36 - Jul 8 with 835 viewsKeno

FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 10:33 - Jul 8 by Parsley

I think the only option is to cover yourself in ladybirds

I misread that and wondered what difference a young man from Bangkok could make to the aphids

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 10:37 - Jul 8 with 831 viewsmarkchips

You can buy nematodes (ladybirds) online and they are the natural predators of aphids and will devour them like a tasty treat.
FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 10:40 - Jul 8 with 805 viewsclive_baker

I've literally never heard of an Aphid, I must be a moron. Is it pronounced A-fid? Or like Aff-id. The latter sounds like something someone with a fat lip might be pushing on you on at a rave.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 10:42 - Jul 8 with 800 viewsCotty

We had loads on some tall oxeye daisies. I didn't mind though because some ants were farming them and it was a cool thing to show the kids.

Sorry that's not much help.
FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 10:46 - Jul 8 with 769 viewsDubtractor

FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 10:40 - Jul 8 by clive_baker

I've literally never heard of an Aphid, I must be a moron. Is it pronounced A-fid? Or like Aff-id. The latter sounds like something someone with a fat lip might be pushing on you on at a rave.

A-Fid.

Green fly is the name they more commonly go by.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Login to get fewer ads

FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 10:48 - Jul 8 with 758 viewsDubtractor

FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 10:42 - Jul 8 by Cotty

We had loads on some tall oxeye daisies. I didn't mind though because some ants were farming them and it was a cool thing to show the kids.

Sorry that's not much help.

Thanks mate!

In all seriousness, I'm always reluctant to want to control them as there is a whole eco system there, ants farming them, ladybird larvae munching their way through them etc.

The problem this year is that the aphids got a foothold before the ladybirds started fighting back, so the numbers are a bit much. I have a strict no pesticides rule in the garden, but they are testing me this year!
[Post edited 8 Jul 2022 10:57]

FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 11:14 - Jul 8 with 725 viewshomer_123

FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 10:37 - Jul 8 by markchips

You can buy nematodes (ladybirds) online and they are the natural predators of aphids and will devour them like a tasty treat.

But then you'll encourage wasps....

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 12:32 - Jul 8 with 614 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Mix up a solution of washing up liquid and water in a clean spray bottle. Apply to infected plants every 2 or 3 days until aphids have all but gone. Cheap, easy and environmentally friendly.

There are over 500 different species of the little blighters.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 14:06 - Jul 8 with 538 viewsEireannach_gorm

FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 12:32 - Jul 8 by StochesStotasBlewe

Mix up a solution of washing up liquid and water in a clean spray bottle. Apply to infected plants every 2 or 3 days until aphids have all but gone. Cheap, easy and environmentally friendly.

There are over 500 different species of the little blighters.

They bring nothing to the party.

FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 14:14 - Jul 8 with 532 viewsKeno

FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 14:06 - Jul 8 by Eireannach_gorm

They bring nothing to the party.

Bit like my cousin Barry then

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

FAO TWTD Gardeners - Aphids! on 14:25 - Jul 8 with 524 viewsOldsmoker

Ladybirds are aphid predators.

Edit : apologies to Markchips - skipped your post as there was a long word with more than one syllable in the first sentence.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2022 14:27]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024