Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Slow Broadband 15:42 - Nov 29 with 2431 viewsBasuco

How Margarete Thatcher killed super fast broadband before it even existed.

https://www.techradar.com/news/world-of-tech/how-the-uk-lost-the-broadband-race-

But at least we have competition in the UK so it must be good.
Slow Broadband on 15:56 - Nov 29 with 2358 viewsfarkenhell

Thanks for sharing, but what a depressing read!
Slow Broadband on 16:01 - Nov 29 with 2345 viewsOldsmoker

Thatcher killing British Industry shocker.

See also, coal mining, steel production, car production......

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Slow Broadband on 16:04 - Nov 29 with 2342 viewsMeadowlark

But in almost the first sentence he said "in an alternate reality" when he meant "alternative."

I couldn't read any more.

I don't disagree though. I expect he's correct. Thatcher ruined this country in so many ways.
Slow Broadband on 18:22 - Nov 29 with 2211 viewsSwansea_Blue

Slow Broadband on 16:01 - Nov 29 by Oldsmoker

Or in short ‘the hopes and lives of the working class’.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Slow Broadband on 08:50 - Nov 30 with 2108 viewsDJR

I think every privatisation has been a disaster. Here's one of the latest failures.

https://www.energylivenews.com/2022/11/18/bailing-out-failed-supplier-bulb-to-co
Slow Broadband on 09:09 - Nov 30 with 2071 viewsBluish

Interesting read that. Does anyone know where the factory was in Ipswich that was making the fibre optics?
Slow Broadband on 09:11 - Nov 30 with 2064 viewsDJR

Slow Broadband on 09:09 - Nov 30 by Bluish

Interesting read that. Does anyone know where the factory was in Ipswich that was making the fibre optics?

I wonder if it was the BT building in Martlesham.
Slow Broadband on 09:28 - Nov 30 with 2029 viewsPinewoodblue

Slow Broadband on 18:22 - Nov 29 by Swansea_Blue

Or in short ‘the hopes and lives of the working class’.

It is the British way, what impact did Blair have on correcting the mistake of Thatcher?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Slow Broadband on 09:38 - Nov 30 with 2007 viewsPhilTWTD

Slow Broadband on 09:11 - Nov 30 by DJR

Peter Cochrane used to work at Martlesham, whether the factory was there I'm not sure.
Slow Broadband on 10:42 - Nov 30 with 1927 viewsDJR

Slow Broadband on 09:38 - Nov 30 by PhilTWTD

Peter Cochrane used to work at Martlesham, whether the factory was there I'm not sure.

Interesting to note that the Martlesham building was completed in 1975 and was formerly known as the Post Office Laboratories. It demonstrates the expertise there was in many nationalised industries, something that, say, led to the UK being the first country in the West to build nuclear power stations. With privatisation, expertise and the public good went out of the window, with pension funds used to lay off many people with experience and expertise.
Slow Broadband on 13:01 - Nov 30 with 1831 viewsstonojnr

No there was semi conductor fabrication at Martlesham back then, and fibre optic research,but the "factory" he was talking about was the BT&D (Dupont) site on White house industrial estate, around the back of Asda maybe where the cop shop is thesedays.

Also you have to remember from his alternate history there was no commercial broadband product 30 years ago, no ISPs as such, Tim Berners-Lee had only just created the first website, no internet shopping, the internet was just this academic thing that existed for universities and end of the world scenarioes
isdn over copper was thought more than enough data bandwidth and only sold to businesses.

I don't know that the commercial reality of fibre to the home of all UK is as straightforward as he has declared many times since, alot of the technology we use today simply didn't exist back then.
Slow Broadband on 13:12 - Nov 30 with 1806 viewswitchdoctor

could be…way back in 72/73 I worked on a pipe line from Martlesham to Wickham Mkt ….I think this must have been one of the first “experiments “ with fibre optics which was the forerunner to video calling…..
Slow Broadband on 13:20 - Nov 30 with 1792 viewsjaykay

Slow Broadband on 09:28 - Nov 30 by Pinewoodblue

It is the British way, what impact did Blair have on correcting the mistake of Thatcher?

classic whataboutry

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Slow Broadband on 13:28 - Nov 30 with 1779 viewsHotShotHamish

Slow Broadband on 09:09 - Nov 30 by Bluish

It was BT&D on Whitehouse Rd that became Hewlett Packard. I believe it is now houses the Police.
Slow Broadband on 13:30 - Nov 30 with 1766 viewsPhilTWTD

Slow Broadband on 13:28 - Nov 30 by HotShotHamish

It was BT&D on Whitehouse Rd that became Hewlett Packard. I believe it is now houses the Police.

Ah yes, forgot about that.
Slow Broadband on 13:33 - Nov 30 with 1744 viewsmadasbadgers

Slow Broadband on 13:01 - Nov 30 by stonojnr

No there was semi conductor fabrication at Martlesham back then, and fibre optic research,but the "factory" he was talking about was the BT&D (Dupont) site on White house industrial estate, around the back of Asda maybe where the cop shop is thesedays.

Also you have to remember from his alternate history there was no commercial broadband product 30 years ago, no ISPs as such, Tim Berners-Lee had only just created the first website, no internet shopping, the internet was just this academic thing that existed for universities and end of the world scenarioes
isdn over copper was thought more than enough data bandwidth and only sold to businesses.

I don't know that the commercial reality of fibre to the home of all UK is as straightforward as he has declared many times since, alot of the technology we use today simply didn't exist back then.

It was BT & D on Whitehouse Rd, the building is just down the road from the police station. Partnership between BT and DuPont, DuPont supplied most of the expertise - lot of US professors worked there - and BT provided a lot of the money. They had a massive American style recruitment exercise whereby the interviews ran in groups of about 20 and ran for 3 or 4 nights ( aptitude tests etc), I worked there for about 18 months, just as quickly many of us were made redundant. I remember Princess Diana visited on one occasion. Think it’s a shipping agent or something like in the building now.
Slow Broadband on 14:49 - Nov 30 with 1679 viewswitchdoctor

Slow Broadband on 13:28 - Nov 30 by HotShotHamish

plod are in endeavour house which only finished construction in 2003…
Slow Broadband on 16:48 - Nov 30 with 1596 viewsFreddies_Ears

Slow Broadband on 09:38 - Nov 30 by PhilTWTD

Oddly, I know Peter Cochrane - he and his wife, talented artist Jane, have the same PT as me. Lovely couple, he is still very active in all kinds of things I cannot pretend to understand.
Slow Broadband on 16:51 - Nov 30 with 1591 viewsHotShotHamish

Slow Broadband on 14:49 - Nov 30 by witchdoctor

plod are in endeavour house which only finished construction in 2003…

Yes, I believe HP built the place after they took over the site, then promptly left soon after it was finished
Slow Broadband on 17:01 - Nov 30 with 1564 viewsmylittletown

Slow Broadband on 13:01 - Nov 30 by stonojnr

The other part of the rewrite of history is that it was BT who consistently argued for FTTC rather then FTTP, so that they would have do less work, yet still pretend that they were supplying a reasonable service.
Governments acceding to that argument set us back years.
Slow Broadband on 17:18 - Nov 30 with 1495 viewscbower

Slow Broadband on 16:01 - Nov 29 by Oldsmoker

And any other unionised industry based outside of the South-east of England

bluescouser

Slow Broadband on 17:22 - Nov 30 with 1476 viewsPhilTWTD

Slow Broadband on 16:48 - Nov 30 by Freddies_Ears

Oddly, I know Peter Cochrane - he and his wife, talented artist Jane, have the same PT as me. Lovely couple, he is still very active in all kinds of things I cannot pretend to understand.

I heard him speak somewhere once, very interesting, but, as you say, not easy to get a grasp on.

I was at BT 20-odd years ago and worked on early broadband projects and remember how the assymetric nature of the network was seen as a limitation going forward.
Slow Broadband on 17:58 - Nov 30 with 1452 viewseireblue

Slow Broadband on 17:22 - Nov 30 by PhilTWTD

I heard him speak somewhere once, very interesting, but, as you say, not easy to get a grasp on.

I was at BT 20-odd years ago and worked on early broadband projects and remember how the assymetric nature of the network was seen as a limitation going forward.

Interesting….I wonder if we have found the source of the delay in Gav’s web site update and Mobile app release.

“Sorry Gav, look I can see the advantage of mobiles for gaming during dull pressers, but we are 20 years away from a TWTD app, just have another hob nob,….no Gav the chocolate ones are still only for me”
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024