Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whittaker 20:20 - Dec 30 with 21359 viewsBowls1e

As has been widely mooted he’s going to be recalled by Swansea in the next day with Derby & us bidding for him. Argyle have tried to keep him but can’t compete financially. I know it’s been rumoured of our interest but this has come from a contact at Plymouth end. Apologies if wrong & I’m not trying to be a def info merchant, but if true then our intent is clear. Believe he’s played for Derby before but could McKenna & Ashton tempt him here.
Whittaker on 11:20 - Jan 1 with 2688 viewsWakh

Whittaker on 10:50 - Jan 1 by Vegtablue

Special mention to Plymouth forum poster Jannerz, who receives a degree of my sympathy but is all over the place drawing ethical lines that keep burning his feet.

Plymouth would never try to sign another team's loan player, they're much above that and proudly so. Plymouth would never try to sign a fellow league one player midway through a season, they're much above that and proudly so. Earley is different because Stevenage are aiming for promotion in a league below, no matter to Plymouth. And their manager's put on a good face so Stevenage are actually quite thrilled to lose 'their' best player. Knibbs is different because Cambridge are trying to survive in League One, no matter that their hopes may be squashed at Plymouth's expense. That's of no moral bother to a team chasing promotion. Whittaker is invaluable to Plymouth's top two hopes, but isn't being considered by Ipswich as a valuable potential asset. He is a player to be absorbed into the squad in order to spite a rival. Why would we want a player of that ability on the pitch? The latest stance is, football clubs are ethically fine to probe and pillage in all circumstances except where two clubs are rivals with the same goals - that is beyond the pale because it may be about to happen to Plymouth.

Check back into reality and Plymouth have benefitted from a player (players let's be honest) whom they don't have the financial means to even pay the bulk of his (probably their) wages to, who has been the difference on multiple occasions against other sides only putting out players within their financial means. Is this fair or is it unethical? Answer, it's football. The idea that Whittaker is truly their player at this point in time, given the above circumstances, is quite mad, however. If he were truly theirs, they would simply be able to rebuff any interest. Obviously they can't because Swansea deal with Whittaker's banking, Plymouth deal with the points he banks them. Whether we're able to sign him is a separate matter.

*I appreciate this has been a waste of my time 😂
[Post edited 1 Jan 2023 10:53]

I read that too! Jannerz is comedy gold. There are many small villages down here. They even find a bus timetable and get out occasionally.

The fact they have a team that largely isn't theirs and Swansea may actually need some cash for their own campaign - just outside the playoffs after all, is beyond him.

It appears no one should loan or buy anyone from a rival, benefit financially or improve their squad buy actually buying a player to become your own, unless you Plymouth - sorry they are not Plymouth - argyle whatever.

It seems far mor unethical playing against a team of loanees that a team cant actually afford than buying one from them.
Whittaker on 11:49 - Jan 1 with 2548 viewsDJR

Whittaker on 23:36 - Dec 31 by Pique

I'm not so sure no 10s aren't a priority for us, especially if you take the slightly longer view. I think Andy Warren was saying in the EADT that it could be a position we focus on this window, and while I was a bit surprised at first I could see his point when I thought about it.

Our system is highly reliant on having two effective no 10s. We're lucky to have Chaplin and Harness, both of whom have done well, but beyond them our options for cover/competition have looked a bit limited (and even Chaplin and Harness have blown hot and cold a bit at times this season).

I love Aluko, but if we go up is he going to be playing for us in the Championship? I hope so, but maybe, maybe not. Beyond him our cover for those positions has been Jackson, John-Jules and Edwards, none of whom have ever really convinced in that role, although they've done OK here and there.

I can see the logic in recruiting Whittaker as a 10. It would be both an upgrade on what we have and a nod to a possible future in a higher division.

I would agree with this. We are far better as an attacking force this season than last but there is room for improvement even at the expense of Harness or Chaplin, who as you say can be a bit hot and cold, and are perhaps a bit too predictable.
Whittaker on 12:08 - Jan 1 with 2452 viewsBondiBlue

Whittaker on 11:49 - Jan 1 by DJR

I would agree with this. We are far better as an attacking force this season than last but there is room for improvement even at the expense of Harness or Chaplin, who as you say can be a bit hot and cold, and are perhaps a bit too predictable.

Hot and cold is exactly the problem. Has there been more than a couple of games this season where they've both been hot? Even fewer when both of them AND whoever's up front have all been hot.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Whittaker on 12:46 - Jan 1 with 2303 viewsVegtablue

Whittaker on 11:20 - Jan 1 by Wakh

I read that too! Jannerz is comedy gold. There are many small villages down here. They even find a bus timetable and get out occasionally.

The fact they have a team that largely isn't theirs and Swansea may actually need some cash for their own campaign - just outside the playoffs after all, is beyond him.

It appears no one should loan or buy anyone from a rival, benefit financially or improve their squad buy actually buying a player to become your own, unless you Plymouth - sorry they are not Plymouth - argyle whatever.

It seems far mor unethical playing against a team of loanees that a team cant actually afford than buying one from them.

I will update you on why this is wrong when he provides his next update 😅
Whittaker on 12:51 - Jan 1 with 2274 viewsWakh

Whittaker on 12:46 - Jan 1 by Vegtablue

I will update you on why this is wrong when he provides his next update 😅

Whittaker on 14:27 - Jan 1 with 2084 viewsBowls1e

Further to my post yesterday my mate who is involved down at Plymouth has told me that Whittaker wants to stay at Plymouth (Probably why he’s in the squad today) He doesn’t want to join either us or Derby, so it’s up to Swansea whether they call him back for the sake of it or negotiate with Plymouth over a transfer. Again not expecting anyone to believe me but take the content as you wish. Disappointing if true but not our only option up top with some of the names linked.
Whittaker on 14:35 - Jan 1 with 1974 viewsVegtablue

Whittaker on 14:27 - Jan 1 by Bowls1e

Further to my post yesterday my mate who is involved down at Plymouth has told me that Whittaker wants to stay at Plymouth (Probably why he’s in the squad today) He doesn’t want to join either us or Derby, so it’s up to Swansea whether they call him back for the sake of it or negotiate with Plymouth over a transfer. Again not expecting anyone to believe me but take the content as you wish. Disappointing if true but not our only option up top with some of the names linked.

Can't say I'm interested in a player that does want to come! Wouldn't be a negative if Swansea decide to reduce their sponsorship of Whittaker's playing time though, as would tie up some of the funds Plymouth may otherwise use to strengthen further.
Whittaker on 14:38 - Jan 1 with 1903 viewsRedX

Whittaker will do what Swansea want him to do, whether that's staying on loan, moving back to challenge for a place at Swansea, or speaking to clubs that have tabled offers for him. He might want to stay at Plymouth but I don't think he has much choice in the matter.
Login to get fewer ads

Whittaker on 14:40 - Jan 1 with 1882 viewspointofblue

If he doesn't want to come here, move on. Let's not waste our time like we did with Hirst.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Whittaker on 14:40 - Jan 1 with 1884 viewsWicklowBlue

Whittaker on 14:38 - Jan 1 by RedX

Whittaker will do what Swansea want him to do, whether that's staying on loan, moving back to challenge for a place at Swansea, or speaking to clubs that have tabled offers for him. He might want to stay at Plymouth but I don't think he has much choice in the matter.

Similar to the Simpson situation, the club you are contracted to decide what happens.
Whittaker on 14:42 - Jan 1 with 1834 viewsBowls1e

Whittaker on 14:35 - Jan 1 by Vegtablue

Can't say I'm interested in a player that does want to come! Wouldn't be a negative if Swansea decide to reduce their sponsorship of Whittaker's playing time though, as would tie up some of the funds Plymouth may otherwise use to strengthen further.

Me neither, & that definitely wouldn’t fit our current model under McKenna & Ashton. Must say though I’m surprised they didn’t find this out before bidding. I’d prefer Collins from Bristol Rovers or Brown from Exeter who I think would suit us better.
Whittaker on 14:47 - Jan 1 with 1747 viewspointofblue

Whittaker on 14:42 - Jan 1 by Bowls1e

Me neither, & that definitely wouldn’t fit our current model under McKenna & Ashton. Must say though I’m surprised they didn’t find this out before bidding. I’d prefer Collins from Bristol Rovers or Brown from Exeter who I think would suit us better.

Whittaker is a right sided player - more like another option to Burns. Collins and Brown are number nine's.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Whittaker on 14:52 - Jan 1 with 1715 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Whittaker on 04:45 - Jan 1 by The_Romford_Blue

The club secretary posts on there and seems to have suggested he’s leaving.

Is his username "ClubSecretary"?

We miss getting the inside def info from ITFCSteward now don't we?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Whittaker on 14:53 - Jan 1 with 1713 viewsBowls1e

Whittaker on 14:47 - Jan 1 by pointofblue

Whittaker is a right sided player - more like another option to Burns. Collins and Brown are number nine's.

Fair enough I’ll be honest I’ve lost touch what our formation is & whether Burns is now a wing back or full back, but yeah that would make sense & they would be more in the Chaplin, Harness, Ladapo area of the pitch.
Whittaker on 14:55 - Jan 1 with 1680 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Whittaker on 11:49 - Jan 1 by DJR

Surely, as they are predictably hot and cold, the fault is McKenna's for not only playing them when they are hot.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Whittaker on 16:14 - Jan 1 with 1467 viewsringwoodblue

With two assists and a goal already today, Plymouth would be mad to let him go especially to us.

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

Whittaker on 16:16 - Jan 1 with 1435 viewsTonytown

Whittaker on 16:14 - Jan 1 by ringwoodblue

With two assists and a goal already today, Plymouth would be mad to let him go especially to us.

He’s not their player.

Swansea can sell him or loan him elsewhere if they want to.

It looks like he’s staying where he is though
Whittaker on 16:20 - Jan 1 with 1391 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Not to say you are lying or anything.

But I’m fairly certain Whittaker is not coming here. He’s going to stay at Plymouth because they are probably going to win the league and then go back to Swansea and play.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Whittaker on 17:32 - Jan 7 with 824 viewsSimonds92

Whittaker on 02:30 - Jan 1 by chicoazul

Wrong, Nixon is very good.

His most recent Ipswich stories are Wigan in for Morsy, we're in for Osula, we're in for Rak-Sakyi, and today saying Everton have put Broadhead up for auction. Within hours we've apparently had a bid accepted and he's at the game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024