Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who was the keeper? 19:35 - Jan 25 with 6102 viewsbluelagos

So Clough's last match as a manager - was at Portman Rd. They lost, got relegated. (92/93 season)

But cyber pint for anyone who can name our goalie, without cheating.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Who was the keeper? on 22:40 - Jan 25 with 1676 viewsPhilTWTD

Who was the keeper? on 21:53 - Jan 25 by Perublue

As a couple of guys mentioned one thing I do remember is he got a lovely reception/ovation (no sarcasm) from our fans .. I have in minds eye that I was in the North stand were the visiting fans used to be "caged" and he came over at the end of the match...he may have done a circuit .... I really am not sure ... I was very,very drunk.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2023 21:55]

So was he, I believe. Kissed John Lyall on the cheek.
Who was the keeper? on 22:46 - Jan 25 with 1660 viewsbluelagos

Who was the keeper? on 22:40 - Jan 25 by PhilTWTD

So was he, I believe. Kissed John Lyall on the cheek.

My first job after graduation was based in the East Midlands. A couple of colleagues lived near BC and the stories of him getting drunk and sleeping in hedges etc. were very common.

This was around this time as I started in the evil world of work in 92.

Who was the keeper? on 23:32 - Jan 25 with 1615 viewsEnigma_Blue

Who was the keeper? on 20:22 - Jan 25 by Enigma_Blue

This is the correct answer.

So what is the story with Petterson. I have the match day programme for that match & Clive Baker was down on the team sheet. We also had a third keeper called Jason Winters that we got on a free transfer from Chelsea, was he not fit to play either and we had to get an emergency loan in?
[Post edited 25 Jan 2023 23:34]
Who was the keeper? on 03:24 - Jan 26 with 1555 viewsIllinoisblue

Who was the keeper? on 22:46 - Jan 25 by bluelagos

My first job after graduation was based in the East Midlands. A couple of colleagues lived near BC and the stories of him getting drunk and sleeping in hedges etc. were very common.

This was around this time as I started in the evil world of work in 92.

Always liked Cloughie but he was an a55hole with his comments about Hillsborough

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Who was the keeper? on 06:27 - Jan 26 with 1507 viewsArchiRob

Who was the keeper? on 20:22 - Jan 25 by Enigma_Blue

This is the correct answer.

Baker was awsome at the away leg we scored early and survived a massive Forest onslaugt we won in the most one sided game against us I have ever seen 1_0

Poll: What best describes Norwich defeat

Who was the keeper? on 06:54 - Jan 26 with 1490 viewsHorsham

Who was the keeper? on 22:34 - Jan 25 by ITFC_Forever

His couple of appearances were a couple of years earlier, at the end of the 1990-91 season.

Got injured at Brighton and David Hill went in goal. If I remember rightly he dropped a high ball under very little or no pressure and it cost us 2 points.
Who was the keeper? on 07:08 - Jan 26 with 1483 viewsbluelagos

Who was the keeper? on 03:24 - Jan 26 by Illinoisblue

Always liked Cloughie but he was an a55hole with his comments about Hillsborough

Indeed, believing and repeating (in his book) the disgusting lies from the police. He later retracted them but as ever, the original comments got far more publicity.

Even today many older Forest fans will trot out the usual nonsense. When you've been vocal on a subject and been shown to have spouting cr×p it can be hard to accept that.

As an aside, the many board apologists for the Met seem to have gone very quiet on the subject. Almost as if they were nothing more than ignorant apologists for an organisation that for years failed to address it's cultural failings and so harboured murderers, rapists, sex pests, peadophiles in their midst.

And I was told I was obsessed etc. Thank fck the truth is finally out and they are attempting (at last) to address their problems rather than hide behind "a few bad apples" nonsense so regularly trotted out by many.

Who was the keeper? on 08:22 - Jan 26 with 1429 viewsChurchman

Who was the keeper? on 03:24 - Jan 26 by Illinoisblue

He said and did many stupid things in his life. There is much about him I didn’t like and can’t imagine how hideous it must have been to work for him.

However, it doesn’t detract from him being a great character at the time and one of the best managers to ever grace the game. He deserved the ovation he got at PR that day.
Login to get fewer ads

Who was the keeper? on 08:32 - Jan 26 with 1417 viewsTrumptonBlue

Who was the keeper? on 06:54 - Jan 26 by Horsham

Got injured at Brighton and David Hill went in goal. If I remember rightly he dropped a high ball under very little or no pressure and it cost us 2 points.

It was an injured Craig Forrest that Hill replaced at Brighton, in September 1989. You're right about him dropping the ball for the winner, though.

Parkes played at Brighton the following season, conceding the stoppage-time free kick that took Brighton into the play-offs.

A curious fact about Phil Parkes' Town career - he faced a penalty in each of his three games for the club (and let them all in).
Who was the keeper? on 08:38 - Jan 26 with 1408 viewsbluelagos

Who was the keeper? on 08:32 - Jan 26 by TrumptonBlue

It was an injured Craig Forrest that Hill replaced at Brighton, in September 1989. You're right about him dropping the ball for the winner, though.

Parkes played at Brighton the following season, conceding the stoppage-time free kick that took Brighton into the play-offs.

A curious fact about Phil Parkes' Town career - he faced a penalty in each of his three games for the club (and let them all in).

Wasn't he, along with Paul Goddard plus another (my memory fails me) caretaker manager after we sacked someone (McGiven?)

Who was the keeper? on 08:45 - Jan 26 with 1400 viewsSteve_M

Who was the keeper? on 08:38 - Jan 26 by bluelagos

Wasn't he, along with Paul Goddard plus another (my memory fails me) caretaker manager after we sacked someone (McGiven?)

Lyall (supposedly) took a more active role again for 94-95 but I'm not sure her really wanted to and it wasn't that effective, when the inevitable sacking happened it was Goddard and Wark in temporary charge in December 1994.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Who was the keeper? on 08:50 - Jan 26 with 1385 viewsBlueRaider

Andy Petterson

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Who was the keeper? on 08:59 - Jan 26 with 1376 viewsHorsham

Think I’ve remembered the two games muddled up! Re the free kick, vaguely remember Parkes not moving at all, then a pitch invasion and Parkes being equally unmoved by hundreds of Brighton fans running past him!
Who was the keeper? on 09:01 - Jan 26 with 1370 viewshype313

Remember that game as the fans invaded the pitch and Nigel Clough took a few haymakers from wandering limbs.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Who was the keeper? on 09:02 - Jan 26 with 1369 viewsBeattie78

Who was the keeper? on 21:14 - Jan 25 by Sharkey

When I think of Clough at Portman Road , I think of just how much more spontaneous and ‘witty’ fans were in their chanting in those days. For some reason he came on the pitch, maybe to much the ball back at a free-kick, and he was wearing his pea-green sweatshirt and some headgear of some sort , and the North Stand immediately sang ‘where DID you get that hat?’and the spontaneity made a huge impression on me.

As an aside, in the 60s we used to sing that in the North Stand whenever Ken Hancock put on his cap because of the sun

LexdenBlue62

Who was the keeper? on 09:23 - Jan 26 with 1348 viewsTrumptonBlue

Who was the keeper? on 23:32 - Jan 25 by Enigma_Blue

So what is the story with Petterson. I have the match day programme for that match & Clive Baker was down on the team sheet. We also had a third keeper called Jason Winters that we got on a free transfer from Chelsea, was he not fit to play either and we had to get an emergency loan in?
[Post edited 25 Jan 2023 23:34]

Petterson had been signed on loan in the March. He took over bench-warming duties from Craig Forrest, so presumably Forrest had picked up an injury. Petterson had been an unused sub in the seven games prior to the Nottingham Forest match.

He had also signed on loan the previous March, but didn't get a game - and there were no sub keepers then.

His third loan spell was in September 95, and he played at Derby when both Forrest and Richard Wright were unavailable.

Jason Winters was a regular back-up in 92/93 when Forrest was suspended or injured. He was on the bench but unused for 14 Premier League games. He was on the bench for that Forest game, so presumably was considered too inexperienced to play (he will have been 21), or it was known he was leaving anyway (he was released at the end of the season), and Petterson got the nod instead.

It was quite common to bring in a short-term loanee keeper as cover in the late 80s / early 90s. As well as those who got a game or two, like Petterson, Tom Carson and Fred Barber, there were a good few who were here but never played - Dean Kiely, Marlon Beresford and Jon Sheffield come to mind.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2023 9:26]
Who was the keeper? on 09:44 - Jan 26 with 1299 viewsbluelagos

Who was the keeper? on 09:23 - Jan 26 by TrumptonBlue

Petterson had been signed on loan in the March. He took over bench-warming duties from Craig Forrest, so presumably Forrest had picked up an injury. Petterson had been an unused sub in the seven games prior to the Nottingham Forest match.

He had also signed on loan the previous March, but didn't get a game - and there were no sub keepers then.

His third loan spell was in September 95, and he played at Derby when both Forrest and Richard Wright were unavailable.

Jason Winters was a regular back-up in 92/93 when Forrest was suspended or injured. He was on the bench but unused for 14 Premier League games. He was on the bench for that Forest game, so presumably was considered too inexperienced to play (he will have been 21), or it was known he was leaving anyway (he was released at the end of the season), and Petterson got the nod instead.

It was quite common to bring in a short-term loanee keeper as cover in the late 80s / early 90s. As well as those who got a game or two, like Petterson, Tom Carson and Fred Barber, there were a good few who were here but never played - Dean Kiely, Marlon Beresford and Jon Sheffield come to mind.

That's seriously impressive knowledge/insight/memories.

If you don't mind me asking, where you involved in the setup? Struggling to believe a fan would know all that!

Who was the keeper? on 09:50 - Jan 26 with 1290 viewsTrumptonBlue

Who was the keeper? on 09:44 - Jan 26 by bluelagos

That's seriously impressive knowledge/insight/memories.

If you don't mind me asking, where you involved in the setup? Struggling to believe a fan would know all that!

No, I'm just very nerdy with regards to record-keeping, and things tend to stick in my mind once I've written them down. Also, I've been going over and consolidating some of my records recently, so the facts are fresher in the memory than they ought to be.
Who was the keeper? on 09:54 - Jan 26 with 1279 viewsbluelagos

Who was the keeper? on 09:50 - Jan 26 by TrumptonBlue

No, I'm just very nerdy with regards to record-keeping, and things tend to stick in my mind once I've written them down. Also, I've been going over and consolidating some of my records recently, so the facts are fresher in the memory than they ought to be.

Proper nerdy!

Good lad.

Who was the keeper? on 10:42 - Jan 26 with 1238 viewsBlueschev

Who was the keeper? on 21:53 - Jan 25 by Perublue

As a couple of guys mentioned one thing I do remember is he got a lovely reception/ovation (no sarcasm) from our fans .. I have in minds eye that I was in the North stand were the visiting fans used to be "caged" and he came over at the end of the match...he may have done a circuit .... I really am not sure ... I was very,very drunk.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2023 21:55]

Portman Road was all-seater by then and the away fans had moved. I remember the huge ovation he received. Everyone stood up apart from my dad who sat there arms folded.
Who was the keeper? on 12:07 - Jan 26 with 1166 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Who was the keeper? on 09:23 - Jan 26 by TrumptonBlue

Didn't we also have Crystal Palace legend John Burridge as cover for a spell, too, when in the twilight of his career?

Was it Burridge or Barber who ran down to the goal for the warm up in one of those rubber "old man with white wispy hair" masks?
Who was the keeper? on 14:27 - Jan 26 with 1119 viewsPerublue

Who was the keeper? on 12:07 - Jan 26 by ArnoldMoorhen

Didn't we also have Crystal Palace legend John Burridge as cover for a spell, too, when in the twilight of his career?

Was it Burridge or Barber who ran down to the goal for the warm up in one of those rubber "old man with white wispy hair" masks?

Barber...my God was it that long ago....jeeeez...Although i think the mask was when he was at peterboro ?

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Who was the keeper? on 14:28 - Jan 26 with 1117 viewsPerublue

Who was the keeper? on 10:42 - Jan 26 by Blueschev

Portman Road was all-seater by then and the away fans had moved. I remember the huge ovation he received. Everyone stood up apart from my dad who sat there arms folded.

Cheers for confirming that for me...I was sure I was in that area.

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Who was the keeper? on 16:03 - Jan 26 with 1066 viewsTrumptonBlue

Who was the keeper? on 14:27 - Jan 26 by Perublue

Barber...my God was it that long ago....jeeeez...Although i think the mask was when he was at peterboro ?

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/21457143.day-town-history-fred-barber-freddie-kruge
Who was the keeper? on 17:19 - Jan 26 with 1015 viewsSawtrich

I have an image in my head of Phil Parkes in tracksuit trousers facing a penalty at the North Stand end. Is this a true memory? Anyone remember the game?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024