Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Older music fans...The Police 21:19 - Feb 3 with 1083 viewsgtsb1966

On BBC4 now from Hatfield polytechnic recorded live in 1979. Anyone see their early gigs live. Feel I've missed out. Sound superb.
Older music fans...The Police on 21:20 - Feb 3 with 1071 viewsCraigIT

Really like that band.
Older music fans...The Police on 21:31 - Feb 3 with 1031 viewsjontysnut

I didn't but I remember watching this at the time. Before he disappeared up his own fundament Sting was a pretty good front man. Possibly the only 'new waver' who played a fretless bass.
Older music fans...The Police on 21:38 - Feb 3 with 1009 viewslongtimefan

Not so much an early gig but I did see them on New Year’s Eve in ‘83 at Wembley Arena as part of their Synchronicity tour. Brilliant musicians and an asolutely fantastic night that was.
Older music fans...The Police on 00:41 - Feb 4 with 927 viewsJimmyJazz

One of those bands that I always felt the singles were great, the albums though were meh.

Unfortunately I think the albums were a truer reflection of what they wanted to play / sound like

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Older music fans...The Police on 06:12 - Feb 4 with 847 viewsChurchman

I liked The Police and had a chance to see them in the early 80s, but couldn’t take advantage of the free ticket (aaaargh!).

I did see them in about 2008 when they did their reunion tour quite close up - no other place to be if you have to watch something at Wembley Arena. They were pretty good then and must have been full on in the late 70s/early 80s.

I liked and bought the albums up to I think Synchronicity.
Older music fans...The Police on 08:05 - Feb 4 with 781 viewsGlasgowBlue

Older music fans...The Police on 21:38 - Feb 3 by longtimefan

Not so much an early gig but I did see them on New Year’s Eve in ‘83 at Wembley Arena as part of their Synchronicity tour. Brilliant musicians and an asolutely fantastic night that was.

I was at that gig. All three were wearing the red, blue and yellow Synchronicity ‘rags’. I still have the programme somewhere.

Sting was great at getting the audience to sing along with him but by that stage they hated each other with a passion, especially Sting and Copeland, but the tension added to the atmosphere.

I tried to stick with Sting when he went solo but I loathed ‘Nothing Like a the Sun’ when it came out. It was so far removed from The Police. Looking back I didn’t appreciate that it was a far more mature body of work with enduring songs like "Englishman in New York", "Fragile", and "They Dance Alone"

At the time I just thought he’d turned into a pop faced moaning old git who showed none of the piss and vinegar that he did with songs like “Roxanne”, “Can’t Stand Losing You” etc.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Older music fans...The Police on 08:13 - Feb 4 with 773 viewsBlueBoots

Loved them when I was kid - had that gig on a bootleg cassette back in the day (which didn't sound superb), so will fire up iPlayer to see it properly

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Older music fans...The Police on 08:56 - Feb 4 with 754 viewsDJR

Along with Dire Straits, they played at Leeds Polytechnic in the autumn of 1978 shortly before each band became famous.

I went to lots of bands at the University and Poly at that time but didn't go to either of those concerts because I didn't know anything about them.

To be honest, I'm not a great fan of either band, so have never seen them, but I do regret not going to see them then.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2023 8:57]
Login to get fewer ads

Older music fans...The Police on 13:34 - Feb 5 with 607 viewslongtimefan

Older music fans...The Police on 08:05 - Feb 4 by GlasgowBlue

I was at that gig. All three were wearing the red, blue and yellow Synchronicity ‘rags’. I still have the programme somewhere.

Sting was great at getting the audience to sing along with him but by that stage they hated each other with a passion, especially Sting and Copeland, but the tension added to the atmosphere.

I tried to stick with Sting when he went solo but I loathed ‘Nothing Like a the Sun’ when it came out. It was so far removed from The Police. Looking back I didn’t appreciate that it was a far more mature body of work with enduring songs like "Englishman in New York", "Fragile", and "They Dance Alone"

At the time I just thought he’d turned into a pop faced moaning old git who showed none of the piss and vinegar that he did with songs like “Roxanne”, “Can’t Stand Losing You” etc.

Coincidentally I’ve just come across my copy of the programme while doing some tidying up. Hidden in an ancient briefcase under the bed with many more from that era (Genesis, Paul Young, Tina Turner, Dire Straits, Joan Armatrading, Simple Minds, Big Country and Level 42)
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 15:45]
Older music fans...The Police on 15:01 - Feb 5 with 578 viewsAtmosphere

Saw The Police a number of times during the late 70s but the most memorable gig was in a circus tent on Tooting Bec Common in 80/81 supported by Tommy Cooper and Wolfie Smith.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024