Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sing when we're winning 16:37 - Apr 19 with 2108 viewsEC2_Blue

Both the Manager and the CEO highlighted, in last night's programme, the contribution which the atmosphere can make to the team's endeavours on the pitch.

Am I alone in thinking that, given you could hear the players calling one another for much of the game, last night we didn't quite pay heed to their request?

This was a bug bear of mine when I used to post on here 20 plus years ago but does anyone have any ideas as to why we can be so flat at times?

Sure we have the drummers who are great (if a bit Palace for this old-schooler) but I am a bit concerned that we haven't been able to create a true fortress, as envisaged by the club years ago, and that this has been a theme since Robson famously moaned about it in the 70s.

Is it the architecture of the new stands, which seem to dissipate rather than project sound? Perhaps it's nerves? Maybe just that we can't stand up any more?

Whatever the reason, it would be great if we were to action what perhaps the club is asking of us and turn the volume up. Be the twelfth man rather than the scorer!

COYB

Sing when we're winning on 16:41 - Apr 19 with 2048 viewsSitfcB

I always say this but a Tuesday night game atmosphere is always different to a Saturday night atmosphere.

FWIW last night was probably the best Tuesday night atmosphere for ages.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Sing when we're winning on 16:45 - Apr 19 with 2018 viewsbluelagos

Few thoughts

Defo the stands don't have the acoustics of the old North or Churchmans with their low roofs.

That said the ground was bouncing vs Charlton so we can make some noise.

But last night - I think was all about nerves. The fans were nervous and the players were. They didn't start well and the atmosphere dropped without getting edgy.

When we equalised - the fans were back on it for sure - but again, the nerves were there when we searched for a winner. It was very understandable given we were looking far from our best and the clock kept ticking on.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Sing when we're winning on 16:53 - Apr 19 with 1968 viewsSteve_M

Sing when we're winning on 16:45 - Apr 19 by bluelagos

Few thoughts

Defo the stands don't have the acoustics of the old North or Churchmans with their low roofs.

But last night - I think was all about nerves. The fans were nervous and the players were. They didn't start well and the atmosphere dropped without getting edgy.

When we equalised - the fans were back on it for sure - but again, the nerves were there when we searched for a winner. It was very understandable given we were looking far from our best and the clock kept ticking on.

Yes, a lot of nervousness last night but it stayed supportive throughout and people channeled their frustration into support without that edginess that’s sometimes there.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2023 17:20]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Sing when we're winning on 16:58 - Apr 19 with 1940 viewsbluelagos

Sing when we're winning on 16:53 - Apr 19 by Steve_M

Yes, a lot of nervousness last night but it stayed supportive throughout and people channeled their frustration into support without that edginess that’s sometimes there.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2023 17:20]

He should have put his boots on :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Sing when we're winning on 16:59 - Apr 19 with 1930 viewsclive_baker

Sing when we're winning on 16:45 - Apr 19 by bluelagos

Few thoughts

First half was edgy off the pitch. Seemed like h/t was a nice reset to get behind the team and 2nd half was loads better. Even before the 1st goal, but that helped of course.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Sing when we're winning on 17:14 - Apr 19 with 1865 viewsfactual_blue

In recent years the singing seems to have got stuck on endless choruses of 'Hark now hear the Ipswich sing...', a song that is tedious, unimaginative, uninspiring and not even understood by the adolescents who parrot it.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Sing when we're winning on 17:45 - Apr 19 with 1769 viewsBloomBlue

I sort of agree but think last night was one of those classic situations - mid week game, we're going for promotion at the business end of the season so pressure / nerves, a game we know we should win with some fans assuming another 6-0. But game didn't go as planned resulting in fans going quiet.
Sing when we're winning on 18:18 - Apr 19 with 1642 viewsEC2_Blue

Sing when we're winning on 17:14 - Apr 19 by factual_blue

In recent years the singing seems to have got stuck on endless choruses of 'Hark now hear the Ipswich sing...', a song that is tedious, unimaginative, uninspiring and not even understood by the adolescents who parrot it.

Sorry I seem to have pressed a down arrow when I was looking to reply.

It's a good point you make on the one tracked nature of the chants. Whilst "you'll never make the station" is probably not quite in sync with the world today (unless you happen to be on the RMTs payroll, that is) there is a real diversity of songs which could and should be dusted off.

These will be familiar to anyone over the age of forty or, for that matter, remembers life before the dreadful "Singing the Blues".
Login to get fewer ads

Sing when we're winning on 18:21 - Apr 19 with 1614 viewsfactual_blue

Sing when we're winning on 18:18 - Apr 19 by EC2_Blue

Sorry I seem to have pressed a down arrow when I was looking to reply.

It's a good point you make on the one tracked nature of the chants. Whilst "you'll never make the station" is probably not quite in sync with the world today (unless you happen to be on the RMTs payroll, that is) there is a real diversity of songs which could and should be dusted off.

These will be familiar to anyone over the age of forty or, for that matter, remembers life before the dreadful "Singing the Blues".

No worries.

I'd like the hauntingly defiant-sounding singing of 'Ipswich, Ipswich, Ipswich, Ipswich' to the tune of Amazing Grace to return.

Or the adoption of a random popular song, eg 'Delilah' at Stoke, or 'Glad All Over' at Palace.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Sing when we're winning on 18:29 - Apr 19 with 1573 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

I think we are an inherently nervous fanbase. For as long as I can remember we have always had a problem with trailing off during chants just as things are getting loud. I can't be the only one who regularly finds themselves in the embarrassing situation of being the only one going in for another round of the song before realising things have fallen silent! Compared to louder fanbase it often feels like we follow the game to the point that the noise inevitably dies when the play kicks up a gear.

It would be great if we could carry on through a move, just as we did on Bobby's birthday against FGR. It seemed to work that day, so why not?

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Sing when we're winning on 18:36 - Apr 19 with 1520 viewsJon_456

Was I the only one there last night that thought the atmosphere was actually decent? Especially during periods where PV were really trying to slow the game down and frustrate us.

Thought some of the noise was the loudest I’ve heard it in years.
Sing when we're winning on 20:20 - Apr 19 with 1280 viewsBluespeed225

Sing when we're winning on 18:36 - Apr 19 by Jon_456

Was I the only one there last night that thought the atmosphere was actually decent? Especially during periods where PV were really trying to slow the game down and frustrate us.

You could hear the relief in the noise when the goals went in, and the 3 ‘handball’ appeals in a row! I though we stuck behind the lads well, but I just think it’s got to that stage of the season where we all fear a slip up. I’m sure Plymouth and Wednesday crowds are exactly the same.
Sing when we're winning on 20:36 - Apr 19 with 1218 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Sing when we're winning on 18:36 - Apr 19 by Jon_456

It was really quiet at times, first half in particular. And the nervousness in the stands was palpable.
I did wonder if it was spilling off the stands and onto the pitch and affecting the performance.

Trouble is, its that time of the season, when one round of game could either win everything or lose the lot.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Sing when we're winning on 22:43 - Apr 19 with 1013 viewsgrow_our_own

Sing when we're winning on 20:36 - Apr 19 by Cheltenham_Blue

It was really quiet at times, first half in particular. And the nervousness in the stands was palpable.
I did wonder if it was spilling off the stands and onto the pitch and affecting the performance.

Trouble is, its that time of the season, when one round of game could either win everything or lose the lot.

Accoustics of end stands are def a problem. Difficult for tiers to get in-sync, and top-tier doesn't have the same sense of involvement.

Sir Alf is 20 years old now. Personally, rather than redevelop the Cobbold, I'd prefer to see it converted into a single tier kop. Portsmouth's is the model. Lowish-roof, steep rake so fans are close to the action, and sidewalls right from the pitch to the back. Best accoustics in football, proper 12th man wall of noise.

Unf with the housing behind, Sir Bob is more difficult to convert due to limited space behind. Lower tier could become new away end.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2023 10:18]
Sing when we're winning on 22:50 - Apr 19 with 999 viewsSwansea_Blue

In 45 years of going to PR we’ve always been quiet. It can occasionally be bouncing, but not often. It’s a bit of a cliche, but I think it’s down to our general reserved Suffolk nature. Maybe also because we’ve a broad fan base - lot of oldies & families? Not sure about the last bit though - I don’t know how our fanbase compares to others.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sing when we're winning on 07:02 - Apr 20 with 753 viewspennblue

Blue action were giving it a good go throughout to be fair to them and they were not getting a lot of support

A lot of people near me who usually sing were not and they were more sober than on a saturday

But if they really want a vocal club they will need to sort out the acoustics

Cobbold A is not a long term solution imo it is a bit of a kop out

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Sing when we're winning on 07:44 - Apr 20 with 686 viewsOldFart71

Yes acoustics can make a difference, but if you don't sing or make a noise acoustics won't matter a hoot. Years of failure is more likely the reason for lack of noise especially if an early goal doesn't materialise. But like Man City and Pep Kieran emphasises patience. Keep on pressing, get the ball in oppo's box and eventual one will fall right. Because we haven't had success for so long we have become impatient and that leads to worry and concern. Don't know how you banish that. Only success rather than failure will turn that feeling around.
Sing when we're winning on 07:50 - Apr 20 with 674 viewspennblue

Sing when we're winning on 07:44 - Apr 20 by OldFart71

Yes acoustics can make a difference, but if you don't sing or make a noise acoustics won't matter a hoot. Years of failure is more likely the reason for lack of noise especially if an early goal doesn't materialise. But like Man City and Pep Kieran emphasises patience. Keep on pressing, get the ball in oppo's box and eventual one will fall right. Because we haven't had success for so long we have become impatient and that leads to worry and concern. Don't know how you banish that. Only success rather than failure will turn that feeling around.

Acoustics makes a massive difference the songs are completely fragmented right now

It is rare the lower sir bob is in sync

They are either singing different songs from one side to the other or out of step on the same song

Blue action would have a lot more success
At the back of a kop style stand

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024