Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. 09:44 - May 19 with 4406 viewsThisIsMyUsername

It's that time of year again. The last couple of days have been miserable and we're nowhere near peak hayfever time yet. I'm currently walking around with tissue paper stuffed up my nose. I give it another month before the constantly itchy and runny eyes starts.

I try it all every year. Hayfever tablets, often taken twice daily rather than the recommended once. Changing my clothes. Washing my face/facial hair.

Any tips or hacks?

Is it a case of trying different types of medications until finding the one that actually does its job?

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 09:48 - May 19 with 3032 viewsKeno

It wont help now but come late summer/autumn get and eat/use as much local honey as you can and next year you'll find the hay fever is much better

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 10:00 - May 19 with 3005 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 09:48 - May 19 by Keno

It wont help now but come late summer/autumn get and eat/use as much local honey as you can and next year you'll find the hay fever is much better

Thanks Keno. I've heard about this but wasn't sure if it was an actual thing or a myth. So you have to do it every year, to prepare for the following year. I will try this from this year onwards.

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 10:08 - May 19 with 2994 viewsZapers

Not all medication works in my experience of suffering hayfever. I take Aerius and I found it to be pretty effective in dealing with my allergies. I take one tablet per day, in the evening, as prescribed by my Dr.

Prior to this, I felt terrible and cursed that i seemed to catch one cough and cold after another.

I found that it took several days to work effectively. If you try, persevere because in my case i started to feel better after about a week.
Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 10:22 - May 19 with 2972 viewsRyorry

I have the “tree pollen” variety of hay fever, which usually starts in January (but seems to get earlier every year). Found out that it’s birch trees which are the main culprit, and avoiding walking in a local wood which is mainly birch, reduced the symptoms a lot.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 10:26 - May 19 with 2962 viewsJ2BLUE

You can get special eye drops for hay fever these days. Might be worth a look. Also, maybe just wearing sunglasses might block some of it out?

Maybe also try a different type of tablet with a different active ingredient if you have previously used only one type.

Purely speculating here but if honey really does work, you might want to google whether a high strength manuka honey could give you some benefit now. I genuinely have no idea but might be worth a quick look.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 10:26 - May 19 with 2961 viewsKeno

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 10:00 - May 19 by ThisIsMyUsername

Thanks Keno. I've heard about this but wasn't sure if it was an actual thing or a myth. So you have to do it every year, to prepare for the following year. I will try this from this year onwards.

All I can say is it works for me

and its a good excuse to eat lots of honey

(eg Pork chops cover in honey and grilled with rosemary and black pepper)

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 10:36 - May 19 with 2950 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 10:26 - May 19 by J2BLUE

You can get special eye drops for hay fever these days. Might be worth a look. Also, maybe just wearing sunglasses might block some of it out?

Maybe also try a different type of tablet with a different active ingredient if you have previously used only one type.

Purely speculating here but if honey really does work, you might want to google whether a high strength manuka honey could give you some benefit now. I genuinely have no idea but might be worth a quick look.

Thanks, J2. I'll have a look for eye drops, and I agree that I need to find the right ingredient in a tablet.

I see there's some loose evidence for manuka honey, and I have a voucher for H&B so I'll pick up some supplements which they have. Worth a shot.

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 10:41 - May 19 with 2942 viewsRyorry

I think it’s eating honey from a *local* beekeeper that does the trick, because the bees are feasting off local plants, so that may give people some immunity.

Not an expert though, so I could be wrong!

Login to get fewer ads

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 10:44 - May 19 with 2937 viewsKeno

Its laical honey thats the key as its made by the bees using local pollens

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 10:47 - May 19 with 2931 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 10:44 - May 19 by Keno

Its laical honey thats the key as its made by the bees using local pollens

I think this is correct actually. A lot of sites talk about how people in New Zealand have been using manuka for X years to fight allergies. That will probably be because manuka is native to that part of the world.

I do remember when I went to NZ in 2011 my hay fever went absolutely through the roof. Must have been a plant that we don't have here.

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 10:49 - May 19 with 2928 viewsJ2BLUE

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 10:41 - May 19 by Ryorry

I think it’s eating honey from a *local* beekeeper that does the trick, because the bees are feasting off local plants, so that may give people some immunity.

Not an expert though, so I could be wrong!

Ah nice one, cheers.

I had no idea really and was purely speculating as my dad noticed some benefits when taking it with various things.

Truly impaired.

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 10:51 - May 19 with 2923 viewsSteve_M

Mine starts much earlier and runs through until August mainly, fortuantely it's generally mild symptoms - itchy eyes early on, odd bouts of sneezing later - but it's really annoying at times.

Things that help me:

- eye drops, just keeping the mositure content up helps;
- nasal spray, I don't tend to use one all the time but seems to help when my nose is really bad.
- I found from experience that taking antihistamines regularly didnt seem to help, but I have some for when it gets really bad (still not sure they make much difference for me);
- Definitely washing the face can help.

I think your last line is probably right, it's trial and error really to find combinations that work. The early symptoms are probably worse than later in the year but that might just be adapting to them again.

It's just a bit rubbish at times so probbaly finding people who can empathise with you helps too!
[Post edited 19 May 2023 16:23]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 11:04 - May 19 with 2910 viewsMattinLondon

No top tips I’m afraid. I used to get it quite bad but I use Beconass which is brilliant - for me that is.
Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 11:04 - May 19 with 2907 viewsRyorry

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 10:49 - May 19 by J2BLUE

Ah nice one, cheers.

I had no idea really and was purely speculating as my dad noticed some benefits when taking it with various things.

I’ll add that I think it’s *raw*, natural honey (can also be still on the comb) as you’d get from a local beekeeper, that has most medicinal efficacy. I doubt the refined kind sold in shops does much.

Am lucky enough to have a beekeeper neighbour, his honey was fantastic in sorting out a big, gaping cut on my hand which had turned septic. His wife, a doctor, said it would only be sorted by stitching/medical intervention, so he won! Wonderful stuff, honey, has inherent anti bacterial properties.

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 11:06 - May 19 with 2902 viewsKeno

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 10:51 - May 19 by Steve_M

Mine starts much earlier and runs through until August mainly, fortuantely it's generally mild symptoms - itchy eyes early on, odd bouts of sneezing later - but it's really annoying at times.

Things that help me:

- eye drops, just keeping the mositure content up helps;
- nasal spray, I don't tend to use one all the time but seems to help when my nose is really bad.
- I found from experience that taking antihistamines regularly didnt seem to help, but I have some for when it gets really bad (still not sure they make much difference for me);
- Definitely washing the face can help.

I think your last line is probably right, it's trial and error really to find combinations that work. The early symptoms are probably worse than later in the year but that might just be adapting to them again.

It's just a bit rubbish at times so probbaly finding people who can empathise with you helps too!
[Post edited 19 May 2023 16:23]

I also find not watching the Town in 25 and town post season YouTube videos help quite a bit

I get a really bad allergic reaction with watery eyes when I watch those

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 11:07 - May 19 with 2896 viewsdickie

I can only take loratadine as the others all knock me out (regardless of their supposed non drowsy statements on the packet). I think it's grass pollen and rape seed that gets me (usually dies down mid July). I find showering morning and night helps, bit of vaseline around my nostrils and eyes, eye drops. I now have to have an inhaler for when it gets really bad (having never had asthma symptoms before I now get a very tight chest and wheeziness when the pollen is very high). Best tip I have is under no circumstances whatsoever touch your eyes (no matter how irritated they are).

What's depressing is I never had it before I was 25 but it's just been getting progressively worse and worse since then
Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 11:15 - May 19 with 2873 viewsBluespeed225

I've done the tissue up the nose thing too! I don't have any hacks, but good old fashioned Piriton help me. Avoid the 'Hayfever' tablets. They might work, but a pack of about a weeks worth cost a fortune, I always feel like their cashing in on my discomfort! Piriton, a good 'all rounder', bites, rashes, itchy eyes, and good value.
Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 11:17 - May 19 with 2864 viewsRyorry

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 11:07 - May 19 by dickie

I can only take loratadine as the others all knock me out (regardless of their supposed non drowsy statements on the packet). I think it's grass pollen and rape seed that gets me (usually dies down mid July). I find showering morning and night helps, bit of vaseline around my nostrils and eyes, eye drops. I now have to have an inhaler for when it gets really bad (having never had asthma symptoms before I now get a very tight chest and wheeziness when the pollen is very high). Best tip I have is under no circumstances whatsoever touch your eyes (no matter how irritated they are).

What's depressing is I never had it before I was 25 but it's just been getting progressively worse and worse since then

The Vaseline’s a good tip, was also recommended to me by a local nurse.

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 11:24 - May 19 with 2858 viewsJ2BLUE

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 11:15 - May 19 by Bluespeed225

I've done the tissue up the nose thing too! I don't have any hacks, but good old fashioned Piriton help me. Avoid the 'Hayfever' tablets. They might work, but a pack of about a weeks worth cost a fortune, I always feel like their cashing in on my discomfort! Piriton, a good 'all rounder', bites, rashes, itchy eyes, and good value.

The likes of Piriton are what I was referring to when I said hayfever tablets.
[Post edited 19 May 2023 11:24]

Truly impaired.

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 13:09 - May 19 with 2789 viewsRedWhiteAndBLUE

I suffer with allergy asthma, very similar to hay fever. I was recently recommended a 'Kan breathe' device, available for £20 on Amazon. I've been using it for 2 weeks and already noticed a difference.
Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 14:20 - May 19 with 2742 viewscrouchendyachtclub

I used to struggle mine before I found the right nasal spray. Now I use something called Avamys, it's normally a bit further down the list of options for hayfever but it fixed mine pretty much overnight.
Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 14:30 - May 19 with 2708 viewsDanTheMan

Have you tried fexofenadine? I think it came into pharmacies without a prescription last year and it blows everything else out of the water in terms of effectiveness.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 16:06 - May 19 with 2649 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Thank you everyone for all the comments and tips. Lots to try.

I've been out and purchased some fexofenadine tablets, a new nasal spray and some 'allergy' eye drops. Fingers crossed this lot does the trick!

Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 16:29 - May 19 with 2622 viewslongtimefan

I used to get really bad eye irritation with hayfever, much more so than any respiratory problems. I used to take Piriton which did a good job, but I had to take it last thing at night as I'd otherwise feel too drowsy during the day. The thing which, perhaps surprisingly, stopped the eye irritation for me and did away with the need t take Piriton was starting to wear contact lenses. I was initially worried that would make things worse but they had the opposite effect. I assume it was because they cover the eyes and stop to some degree of the pollen encroaching on them.
Hayfever season. It's started. Tips please. on 19:05 - May 19 with 2560 viewsWestover

I have had Hey fever all my life and always had tablets and during June I almost never went out unless I had to anyway a few years ago someone told me about a nasal spray and it worked wonders it's called Flixonase I could not believe how good it was for me, at the time I was living in Ireland and I could buy it in any chemist but you needed a prescription in the UK but that was years ago you might be able to get it now, I buy here in the Algarve but under a different name.
It's around £15 but it's well worth trying, best of luck 👍

[Post edited 19 May 2023 19:15]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024